Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seeing racist dipshits turn into crybaby over the Cleveland baseball name change is the only thing that has brought me joy in days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Seeing racist dipshits turn into crybaby over the Cleveland baseball name change is the only thing that has brought me joy in days.

"Guardians" ranks down there with "Expos" for dumbest team name, though. I'm glad they changed it, at least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deteriorata posted:

"Guardians" ranks down there with "Expos" for dumbest team name, though. I'm glad they changed it, at least.

gently caress you, the Expos were great and it was a good name

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
James Gunn is right and they should make Rocket their mascot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cleveland Crabs

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

What’s wrong with guardians? They’re named for the statues on the bridge that faces the stadium. They’ve been there almost as long as the team has been around.

I was hoping for the return of the Cleveland Spiders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seeing/hearing white guys cry about legacy, dynasties and history was great last night at work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Drunk on homebrew wine, shopping eBay for cheap motorbikes. This can only end well.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Shoulda named them the Rocks or Steamers :nexus:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Not naming them the Wild Things was a missed opportunity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe if Charlie Sheen hadn't turned into such an rear end in a top hat.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

Mmm, nice. Going to make pizza tonight now.

slidebite posted:

e: That pizza looks delish man
Thanks guys! Made them on my new Ooni Koda 16 and I can only recommend it. Hemmed and hawed over the purchase for months, should've just gotten it at the beginning of summer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Gotta separate the art from the artist. Or I'd totally lose my mind with Eric Clapton being such an antivax racist dickhead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Gotta separate the art from the artist. Or I'd totally lose my mind with Eric Clapton being such an antivax racist dickhead.

I'm done with that. It's far easier to just delete songs from playlists and never watch a lot of films at ths point.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

meatpimp posted:

The death of the artist is great in theory, but it is drat near impossible to separate the art from the artist for me. JK Rowling, R Kelly, Clapton, James Woods; I can't consume their media anymore because it just gives money and clout to people who use that money and clout to try to harm others

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bolind posted:

Thanks guys! Made them on my new Ooni Koda 16 and I can only recommend it. Hemmed and hawed over the purchase for months, should've just gotten it at the beginning of summer.

I have the smaller Koda and haven't had much success with it...still prefer to make pizza in the oven with a baking steel

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mariooncrack posted:

nd.

I was hoping for the return of the Cleveland Spiders.

Me too fwiw

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's two fuckin whole teams named after socks. You'll get used to it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's two fuckin whole teams named after socks. You'll get used to it.

I think Cincinnati was the red stockings at one point too

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Deteriorata posted:

doesn't cleveland have a bunch of giant statues on the way into the city?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Turned into? Guy was always a huge rear end in a top hat.

meatpimp posted:

Or I'd totally lose my mind with Eric Clapton being such an antivax racist dickhead.

If I never hear the unplugged poo poo ever again, I'll be happy.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You know what's worse than getting vaccinated? Falling out of a window

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Levar Burton hosting Jeopardy is good.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Phone posted:

doesn't cleveland have a bunch of giant statues on the way into the city?

Yes:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm done with that. It's far easier to just delete songs from playlists and never watch a lot of films at ths point.

I’m fine with never hearing Michael Jackson ever again but Bruce Dickinson being a brexiteer and now whining over how British artists are having a hard time getting working visas to play in Europe is going to make the next Iron Maiden tour quite the dilemma

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I stopped enjoying products of artists because of some stupid loving belief or prejudice that they have and eventually comes to light, I'd probably only he listening to the Mr. Rogers theme now and looking at Bob Ross paintings.

Artists are a cross section of society and a very good portion of society has thoughts and beliefs which are directly contrary to mine but as long as it isn't absolutely horrific, I try to compartmentalize it :shrug:

Maybe I'm weird

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

luminalflux posted:

I’m fine with never hearing Michael Jackson ever again but Bruce Dickinson being a brexiteer and now whining over how British artists are having a hard time getting working visas to play in Europe is going to make the next Iron Maiden tour quite the dilemma
Oof. I was successfully not knowing that until you mentioned it.

I don't know why I'm surprised, all of the good metal bands are full of shitheads. Especially the drummers.

slidebite posted:

If I stopped enjoying products of artists because of some stupid loving belief or prejudice that they have and eventually comes to light, I'd probably only he listening to the Mr. Rogers theme now and looking at Bob Ross paintings.

Artists are a cross section of society and a very good portion of society has thoughts and beliefs which are directly contrary to mine but as long as it isn't absolutely horrific, I try to compartmentalize it :shrug:

Maybe I'm weird
I mean, I get that, but at some point, it's supporting the terrible things they stand for. I'm very much at the point where I believe that we've allowed and supported too much hate, and if John Dolmayan thinks that he needs to evangelize Trump, then I'm not going to be streaming any System of A Down. I'll still listen to the CD I burned in college, but anything that actually gets them money? gently caress that.

Also, there's a pretty broad range of "stupid loving beliefs", and a lot of them have crossed over into straight up terrorism lately. I'm not down with that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't feel bad for having pirated so much music in days gone by. So many of them turned out to be shitheads!

Edit: forgot to mention we're likely going to have to move up our new roof so there goes my car budget.

Again.

I don't even know why I get excited about things anymore.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 27, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

You know what's worse than getting vaccinated? Falling out of a window

eric clapton would have never let a bag of cocaine fall out a window

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Whoa this is cool.

Cleveland still sucks, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

I'll still listen to the CD I burned in college, but anything that actually gets them money? gently caress that.

this is where im at with this sort of thing. unless its reprehensible enough to turn my stomach just to see the face / hear the voice of the artist, ill allow myself to still experience their works, but will refuse to do anything that supports them

expected this to be the "we're not detroit!" tourism video

e: which ive just re-watched for the first time in probably a decade, and it... has not aged well. lets just forget about that one

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 27, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm hating how Trumpism seemed to make being an rear end in a top hat in public OK and consequence-free.
I mean, the people are still who they were/are, but now they feel safe expressing their terrible beliefs. It's getting to where I can't enjoy anything. Sometimes ignorance is bliss...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

I'm hating how Trumpism seemed to make being an rear end in a top hat in public OK and consequence-free.
I mean, the people are still who they were/are, but now they feel safe expressing their terrible beliefs. It's getting to where I can't enjoy anything. Sometimes ignorance is bliss...

It's emboldened racists to the point they are screaming the n word thinking there's no consequences.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

So far there are very few consequences for the vast majority of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True, unless you're recorded doing so and it ends up on tik tok.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tuna posted:

They seem pretty complaint-free for a gen1 thing. I love the idea of mac minis, I use the previous gen as my house server/plex/cctv/nas with das kinda device. It gets literally too hot to touch though, which sucks, but not 699$ucks.

Since we're on the topic of computers, this angered me the other day. I'm out of the loop on this but it seems pretty insane?
https://mobile.twitter.com/ansgartodinson/status/1419108465126039554

HAHA gently caress
My desktop is an FX 9590 Black Edition and R9 290x both watercooled, 32gb ram and some not so power efficient overclocking on the card and proc.
I need a 1000w platinum rated power supply to run it effectively.

e: btw if you're considering one I would not recommend the 9590. It's a finnicky bitch and takes a lot of patience to get running smoothly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, a 1000 watt power supply isn't going to CONTINUOUSLY supply that. In fact, the chances of it actually supplying 1000 watts for more than a few seconds without going up in smoke are pretty slim unless it's a high end PSU (which it sounds like yours is, if it's platinum certified and a well known name brand, but I still wouldn't run it under that kind of load 24/7).

That would put that power supply at over 90% efficiency unless it's under full load, which might drop it to 89%. Pretty impressive. But that still doesn't translate to 1000 watts from the outlet - that's the output, across all of the rails combined. At idle, your PC is still probably only pulling 20-30 watts from the outlet. Slap a Kill-A-Watt on it if you want to see real-time info, or a modern UPS.

Mine, with two older 22" monitors (10+ years), 5 spinning HDDs, 1 SSD, 32GB RAM, and I forget what video card (I think a GTX 960), last time my UPS reported anything, was idling around 60 watts with both monitors on, dropped to 40ish with them off, and I blame a good chunk of that on the HDDs and case fans. It would kick up to a solid 250 if all the fans cranked up to 100% with heavy CPU and video load (i.e. Cyberpunk 2077), but that's still including the monitors, and a much less efficient i7-2600k with a healthy overclock. I'm just running an 80+ PSU - a very old one at that (10 or 11 years old, Corsair builder CX500 IIRC), so I'm already less efficient before you count the CPU.

(my UPS no longer communicates ever since it got bumped hard - USB plug hit the wall when it got bumped, pretty sure it broke the USB port off of the board inside)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

To be fair, a 1000 watt power supply isn't going to CONTINUOUSLY supply that. In fact, the chances of it actually supplying 1000 watts for more than a few seconds without going up in smoke are pretty slim unless it's a high end PSU (which it sounds like yours is, if it's platinum certified and a well known name brand, but I still wouldn't run it under that kind of load 24/7).

That would put that power supply at over 90% efficiency unless it's under full load, which might drop it to 89%. Pretty impressive. But that still doesn't translate to 1000 watts from the outlet - that's the output, across all of the rails combined. At idle, your PC is still probably only pulling 20-30 watts from the outlet. Slap a Kill-A-Watt on it if you want to see real-time info, or a modern UPS.

Mine, with two older 22" monitors (10+ years), 5 spinning HDDs, 1 SSD, 32GB RAM, and I forget what video card (I think a GTX 960), last time my UPS reported anything, was idling around 60 watts with both monitors on, dropped to 40ish with them off, and I blame a good chunk of that on the HDDs and case fans. It would kick up to a solid 250 if all the fans cranked up to 100% with heavy CPU and video load (i.e. Cyberpunk 2077), but that's still including the monitors, and a much less efficient i7-2600k with a healthy overclock. I'm just running an 80+ PSU - a very old one at that (10 or 11 years old, Corsair builder CX500 IIRC), so I'm already less efficient before you count the CPU.

(my UPS no longer communicates ever since it got bumped hard - USB plug hit the wall when it got bumped, pretty sure it broke the USB port off of the board inside)

no it doesn't need 1000W all the time, but it peaks pretty close and you need a really good power supply to keep up. I've run it off a Corsair HX750 before and it was fine except under VERY heavy load at which point it would poo poo the bed from power starvation, or the PSU would soft trip.
FWIW I used to have 2 R9 290x (air cooled) in there with a 1000W psu and it would run just fine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve never had an issue with evga 609-650 watt psu’s in even monster builds. The only power supplies I’ve replaced are ancient desktop factory units/ slim sff models or garbage “1000 watt” eBay crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
components aren't restricted so its mostly just a restriction on losers buying prebuilts rather than building their own :chord: