Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
hell yeah dudes, dudettes and [insert preffered nb term for dude/dudettes here]
this is a chat thread, we will now exclusively discuss badge engineering and in my case, why the holden apollo was superior to the toyota camry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dodge Omni superiority.

Dad called me over this morning to take a look at his sump pump. When it pumps, it blows water out at the gasket after the check valve... so I'm assuming the drain is plugged.

I get to his house and take a look at the corner where the sump drain comes out... and the downspout right next to it has a cleanout in the drain line. :stare:

And the cleanout assembly is just hand-fit together with no glue. :stare:

And that corner of a 15 year old house had that side of the basement excavated and waterproofed prior to my parents buying it about 8 years ago.

I think there was probably a problem with that drain line from the start, and instead of fixing the root problem, the waterproofed the basement.

I pumped a bunch of water into the cleanout and there was obviously at least one break in the pipe, 'cause it took forever to start draining at the road, and never filled up when I plugged the outlet at the road.

I don't know why the sump drain is pressurizing, but putting water straight into the sump drain line showed water bubbling up right after the elbow in the ground.

I found the name of a guy that hand digs replacement drain lines, and I'm sure that properly replacing the sump line and downspout drain will permanently fix the problem.

tl;dr: The guy that "fixed" the original problem was just playing Screw the Next Guy.

Edit:

Tomarse posted:

If you have made it this far through life without ever learning the hard way about always having backups then you were living on borrowed time anyway!
Fingers crossed you get away with it!

Yup. I remember my first no-backup sting: Everything I wrote during my first 2 1/2 years of college. This was around 1993 and I thought I had the info on multiple hard drives, but didn't. Big sad. Since then, I've fully overcompensated and have every single thing since then in triplicate... at least. The old stuff I bet I have 5+ copies of on platters and solid state.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 30, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Badge Engineering

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/06/junkyard-find-2009-volkswagen-routan/

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

meatpimp posted:

Dodge Omni superiority.

When I was last in seppoland (2016) I saw one of them I'm sure they are dreadful to drive and poorly made but it looked quite nice for what it is and also looked very roomy for a small car of that era.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Dodge Omni superiority.

Dad called me over this morning to take a look at his sump pump. When it pumps, it blows water out at the gasket after the check valve... so I'm assuming the drain is plugged.

I get to his house and take a look at the corner where the sump drain comes out... and the downspout right next to it has a cleanout in the drain line. :stare:

And the cleanout assembly is just hand-fit together with no glue. :stare:

And that corner of a 15 year old house had that side of the basement excavated and waterproofed prior to my parents buying it about 8 years ago.

I think there was probably a problem with that drain line from the start, and instead of fixing the root problem, the waterproofed the basement.

I pumped a bunch of water into the cleanout and there was obviously at least one break in the pipe, 'cause it took forever to start draining at the road, and never filled up when I plugged the outlet at the road.

I don't know why the sump drain is pressurizing, but putting water straight into the sump drain line showed water bubbling up right after the elbow in the ground.

I found the name of a guy that hand digs replacement drain lines, and I'm sure that properly replacing the sump line and downspout drain will permanently fix the problem.

tl;dr: The guy that "fixed" the original problem was just playing Screw the Next Guy.

Edit:

Yup. I remember my first no-backup sting: Everything I wrote during my first 2 1/2 years of college. This was around 1993 and I thought I had the info on multiple hard drives, but didn't. Big sad. Since then, I've fully overcompensated and have every single thing since then in triplicate... at least. The old stuff I bet I have 5+ copies of on platters and solid state.

If you recall, I had a 19 month battle with water coming into the basement of my first house.

So your post just triggered my ptsd

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Oh, and the backup app I use on my phone? It's loving stupid and turns out to only back up files it knows the format for. So a ton of stuff that was on my phone - electrical design files, PCB artwork, spreadsheets, etc - it just shrugged and didn't back them up at all. For several years. While I thought it was doing so. Good thing I checked, the phone still boots and I'll be using a better backup system.

So far it looks like I'm losing about 50ish images, most of them 4 year old screenshots that literally don't matter. A few pics of my LS swap that I probably posted on imgur and can easily get back in slightly reduced quality. Other than that, everything is here...

... Except the card I ran over. I don't know what I lost there.

You can get archival DVDs, supposedly they last up to 100 years, probably the best way as a hard copy. Right now I have an external SSD with everything backed up but I plan on eventually putting everything on DVDs so my son has something in the future to look through when all the computers eventually take a poo poo.

Yeah it's time consuming but probably worth it in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-R-4-7GB-UltraLife-Archival/dp/B000WTO352

I really need to get off my rear end (or get on it really) and do this cuz it ain't gonna do itself

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I tried using a CO2 tire inflator on my bike yesterday. The Presta valve core came out with the inflator, sneezing air and sealent all over the street. This is the first time I've thought maybe Schrader would have been better.

I wound up pushing it home in 96 degree heat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You can get archival DVDs, supposedly they last up to 100 years, probably the best way as a hard copy. Right now I have an external SSD with everything backed up but I plan on eventually putting everything on DVDs so my son has something in the future to look through when all the computers eventually take a poo poo.

Yeah it's time consuming but probably worth it in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-R-4-7GB-UltraLife-Archival/dp/B000WTO352

I really need to get off my rear end (or get on it really) and do this cuz it ain't gonna do itself

Yeah that looks like a good idea, thanks. I think I even own a DVD burner.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

loving Cosby got released and his conviction overturned. I hope he receives the welcome back into society that he deserves.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

loving Cosby got released and his conviction overturned. I hope he receives the welcome back into society that he deserves.

I don't often wish harm on people, but I'll make exception in this case. I hope the world turns their backs on him and he's turned into an untouchable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People on Twitter are celebrating his release.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

People on Twitter are generally idiots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True but it's still disgusting.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

kastein posted:

Yeah that looks like a good idea, thanks. I think I even own a DVD burner.

I somehow managed to lose my DVD burner in the move.

I never put it in my new PC and somehow it did not make it over to Austin :(

Oh well it's not like I was really gonna use it anyways lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

What? How? Holy poo poo.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Does everyone feel their independence from the virus yet? Did Uncle Joe lie to me?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We're basically wide open here tomorrow in Alberta and the mask laws are either repealed at the same time or will be within the next few days in some cities. Even where they are still technically in force I can't imagine anyone will be enforcing them.... Not like they have up until now anyhow.

I will still wear a mask from time to time but I suspect it's not going to be the norm.

I'm just looking forward to training in martial arts again with wearing one (hard cardio suuuucks wearing one) and actually hitting pads and even sparring for the first time in a year and a half is going to be awesome.

But, it's going to feel weird not wearing one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went maskless in public for the first time on Sunday and regret it.

People smell funny.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BigPaddy posted:

Does everyone feel their independence from the virus yet? Did Uncle Joe lie to me?

Went on vacation to Galena and it was like the pandemic never happened. People were staring at me for wearing a mask

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I went maskless in public for the first time on Sunday and regret it.

People smell funny.

I'm disturbed by the crazy, disgusting things people do with their mouths and tongues, forgetting they didn't have a mask on. Ew.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alarbus posted:

I'm disturbed by the crazy, disgusting things people do with their mouths and tongues, forgetting they didn't have a mask on. Ew.

Also this. It's gross.

Also striving to be a good person and failing. One of the anti-mask idiots at work got covid and his existing heart problems are loving him up bad. He's a lovely person but i don't want him to die or anything but it's hard not to feel like, he asked for it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Our local bakery is awesome so I just bought 6 fresh glazed donuts for the 3 of us to enjoy with lunch.

Well, just found out Mrs. Slidebite doesn't like glazed donuts.... at all... and mom only had one.

So I just ate 5 glazed donuts :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Our local bakery is awesome so I just bought 6 fresh glazed donuts for the 3 of us to enjoy with lunch.

Well, just found out Mrs. Slidebite doesn't like glazed donuts.... at all... and mom only had one.

So I just ate 5 glazed donuts :(

Wrong smiley.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Get off twitter, it's a giant trash fire that does absolutely zero good for you or anyone else. What people say and do there does not reflect actual reality.

Two, don't waste your time thinking about assholes. Your thoughts are your own and if you don't feel bad then I'm sorry, but you don't feel bad. You don't get to choose how you react to things. gently caress that guy, move on with your life, there is no score board somewhere jeeping track of any of your thoughts.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Wrong smiley.

:btroll: ?

Edit: now that I think about it, a friend came and (safely) visited me last weekend and brought me 6 Marinis Empanadas from Houston... and so I feel like :btroll: now :reject:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 30, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not emptyquoted

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Get off social media

FTFY

Seriously, I don't even have a FB account, but I still have to hear about bullshit FB drama from other people.

I don't care about your social media problems, leave me out of it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Not emptyquoted

I was thinking more

:getin:

or

:discourse:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Safety Dance posted:

I tried using a CO2 tire inflator on my bike yesterday. The Presta valve core came out with the inflator, sneezing air and sealent all over the street. This is the first time I've thought maybe Schrader would have been better.

I wound up pushing it home in 96 degree heat.

Were these new valves a solution to a problem that didn't exist, or are they actually better in some way?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just made a shorter, higher version of an ikea junior bed for my kid. (It’s made to fit a little nook in his room). Bought two cheap beds (that were even on sale) and made one. Felt good to do some woodworking, even though it’s not exactly a Steinway. But I can’t wait until I have a proper place to do it. So loving tired of kneeling outside in the rain when doing anything with a power saw.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Were these new valves a solution to a problem that didn't exist, or are they actually better in some way?

It's not clear which was invented first (the best I can find is Presta some time in the 1880s in France vs Schrader in 1891 in the US). Regardless, Presta valves are what you find on most bikes that didn't come from Walmart.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Presta valves are narrower so for ultra-narrow road rims they're better, I guess. Also you don't need a dust cap for them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I wonder what the venn diagram of them versus COVID deniers/no vax versus "election stolen" Trumpers is? One circle?

Rhyno posted:

Also this. It's gross.

Also striving to be a good person and failing. One of the anti-mask idiots at work got covid and his existing heart problems are loving him up bad. He's a lovely person but i don't want him to die or anything but it's hard not to feel like, he asked for it?

He did. Covid deniers/anti-maskers are a self-solving problem. They all thought they were safe since everyone else got vaxxed, but Delta is definitely proving that wrong.
I generally don't wish for people to die, but I'm not going to waste any time on anyone who did it to themselves, particularly from willful stupidity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only reason I'm not with you on that is that some of the unvaccinated people are that way because they can't be vaccinated, and they tend to be medically fragile people who don't deserve to die because of a passel of idiots thinking vaccines are the mark of the devil.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

The only time I have seen those was on a vacation in Hawaii. There was a bunch of them all being offloaded from a ferry, they must have been part of a rental fleet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

The only reason I'm not with you on that is that some of the unvaccinated people are that way because they can't be vaccinated, and they tend to be medically fragile people who don't deserve to die because of a passel of idiots thinking vaccines are the mark of the devil.
Also children shouldn't suffer because their parents are idiots.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Fair, and a valid point. Certainly one that the anti-mask/vax crowd never considers, since their worldview begins and ends at their own selves, and their comfort.

Galler posted:

Not wrong.
I have to have a license to drive a car, but all I need is a penis and a willing vagina to have kids.
Makes one think. Well, makes me think. That said, I'm not sure I want the government deciding who can have kids, so I don't have a solution for that one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slidebite posted:

What? How? Holy poo poo.
DA 16 years ago promised not to prosecute him so he could testify in a civil case.

Legally, the correct decision probably. Bad DA.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hmmmm. I've got my Kia up on Tred.com (which posts it on other used car sites, and handles comms, $$, and paperwork - basically a broker) and I've got a buyer that agreed to by it with no prior comms, and, when I questioned that, asking if, you know, they'd like to see/drive it, they said they're a ways away, time is tight, and they'll take the risk.
Suspect, but as long as they complete the sale via Tred's system (with ACH/escrow) I don't care.

edit: they want to do it all through Tred, so I guess it's sold pending Tred verifying payment!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Galler posted:

Child dies to needed medical procedure X not being allowed due to parent's beliefs Y. Can't impede on those beliefs that the child is likely too young to even comprehend the most basic level of. I mean what about my beliefs that idiots should be fired out of a cannon into the sun?