Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

There's some pretty crazy stat scaling right now but I'm going off the fact that I know people were soloing ARR Extremes (and Odin) back in StB. There's meant to be some reduction of numbers come EW so if you want to take it slowly and at a more relaxed pace, you might end up needing to hit 90 to farm that unsynced easily.

Did we have an explanation of some of the weirder stuff to do with Duty Finder in the OP? If not, I could do a quick write up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I had no idea the scaling was that crazy - 20 levels is really the difference between 8 people struggling to finish and 1 person soloing it with ease?

Yeah, the scaling with the expansions is kind of nuts. Level 80 tanks have like 150k hp, so basically nothing at 60 can even scratch you. When you do stuff unsynced, you only have to worry about instant kill attacks.

This is because, essentially, it's not just 10 levels, it's also 130 item levels (ilvl). With each patch, they release new gear that is more powerful, and has a higher ilvl, with better stats and whatnot. So like at level 50 you're using ilvl 130 gear, at 60 it's 270, at 70 it's 400, and the current highest-end gear is ilvl 530 (with a few being 535).

They're actually going to change that somewhat with Endwalker. Numbers are getting so high, especially with the big boosts you can get with special Bozja-only skills, that they sometimes overflow on the server and get set back to 1. So they're doing a big stat crunch, which will probably end up making older content harder to do unsynced (and even synced, since the difference between intended ilvl and synced ilvl won't be as big).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mysticblade posted:

There's some pretty crazy stat scaling right now but I'm going off the fact that I know people were soloing ARR Extremes (and Odin) back in StB. There's meant to be some reduction of numbers come EW so if you want to take it slowly and at a more relaxed pace, you might end up needing to hit 90 to farm that unsynced easily.

Did we have an explanation of some of the weirder stuff to do with Duty Finder in the OP? If not, I could do a quick write up.

I'd definitely be interested!

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Is there a way to get the Odin gear without doing the trial? The queue for this is like 30 minutes and it seems to completely wreck parties that don't aren't communicating enough to do tank swaps.

Tank swaps?
I'm on the trial and still doing ARR content. I queue for this dungeon anytime I'm not focused on another goal. I think I've tanked it 10+ times now as a warrior.

I don't think iv ever tanked swapped for it. Am I doing this wrong?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I had no idea the scaling was that crazy - 20 levels is really the difference between 8 people struggling to finish and 1 person soloing it with ease?

I mean 20 levels means two entire expansions worth upgrade and gear.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

LeninVS posted:

Tank swaps?
I'm on the trial and still doing ARR content. I queue for this dungeon anytime I'm not focused on another goal. I think I've tanked it 10+ times now as a warrior.

I don't think iv ever tanked swapped for it. Am I doing this wrong?

Odin is basically an entry level extreme content. There are no crazy mechanics but he hits like a truck for everything he does. Because of the combination of a bleed effect and a meaty tankbuster, some people do tank swaps on him. It's not necessary, you wont die if you dont (unlike later ones), but it does ease the pressure on the healers a tad if you switch after the big hit.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For more tank swap context, some (later in the game) bosses will apply a series of defense-down debuffs to the tank, perform a few weak attacks, and then oneshot them with a really strong "tankbuster". In an 8man fight (and thus two tanks), you can have the second tank pick up the boss' aggro to give tank #1 time for their debuff to expire without getting hit.

Mid-level tanks get an ability called Shirk which transfers a chunk of their enmity (enemy aggro) to another party member. Shirk-ing to the other tank along with them using their Provoke (preferably with the two also turning off/on their tank stances respectively) should basically insta-swap who's getting bopped.

It's not super-common in normal content, but good to be aware that the scenario does exist for the rare time it's useful to perform it.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 27, 2021

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Archenteron posted:

For more tank swap context, some (later in the game) bosses will apply a series of defense-down debuffs to the tank, perform a few weak attacks, and then oneshot them with a really strong "tankbuster". In an 8man fight (and thus two tanks), you can have the second tank pick up the boss' aggro to give tank #1 time for their debuff to expire without getting hit.

Mid-level tanks get an ability called Shirk which transfers a chunk of their enmity (enemy aggro) to another party member. Shirk-ing to the other tank along with them using their Provoke (preferably with the two also turning off/on their tank stances respectively) should basically insta-swap who's getting bopped.

It's not super-common in normal content, but good to be aware that the scenario does exist for the rare time it's useful to perform it.

It's something I wish the game would give you a tutorial on. A couple nights ago I did extreme Bismark (mistakenly thinking that I needed to do it before the containment bays) and there are two mobs that the tanks need to tank separately and then exchange. Every time we did it the other tank's mob would switch to me and then would go back to him within a couple seconds, no matter what I was doing.

Thankfully the group was really patient and eventually somebody pointed out that none of the pugs he'd done that week had done the swap, so we just facetanked them and got through it fine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think the only places where I've needed to actually tank swap were when we did Extreme ShB trials or some synched ARR Extremes (specifically Ifrit, because he gives you stacking vulns that eventually get too much for you to be able to tank, necessitating a swap). Normal content will not require a tankswap. I can only think of one normal fight that has a tank swap-like mechanism (in Eden), but even then you can just ignore it if your ilevel is high enough.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a way to get the Odin gear without doing the trial? The queue for this is like 30 minutes and it seems to completely wreck parties that don't aren't communicating enough to do tank swaps.

Are you just getting the gear for cosmetics?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is there an actual detailed list of all the changes/trims made to ARR in 5.3? I suffered through the 2.0 part of ARR almost all the way twice so I'm curious how different my 3rd trip will actually be. I should honestly probably just pay time skip through to Heavansward, but I hate myself!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I know they trimmed at least 20 quests but there's no official changelog that I'm aware of. Probably one of the wikis has the info.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zurtilik posted:

Is there an actual detailed list of all the changes/trims made to ARR in 5.3? I suffered through the 2.0 part of ARR almost all the way twice so I'm curious how different my 3rd trip will actually be. I should honestly probably just pay time skip through to Heavansward, but I hate myself!

This fanmade comparison is the closest thing, I think? I don't think I ever saw anything more detailed that included trimmed steps that wasn't a collection of giant threads on Reddit that another fan was doing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zurtilik posted:

Here's a list of the quests that were removed. It's almost all just busy work stuff like going and killing snakes near Mor Dhona or picking up boxes or whatever.

There are still a lot of quests post-ARR, I think it's the longest of the patch questlines, but it's not quite as annoying without those.

e: Oh and here's one for the 1-50 stuff too. I didn't realize they'd trimmed that, actually.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Thanks! I'm glad they trimmed a bunch of stuff down, it got pretty outrageous at some points. Like that weird feast quest. I also feel like there were innumerable go to the hideout and then talk to Dan in Gridania and then go to the hideout immediately after quests.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fadam posted:

Are you just getting the gear for cosmetics?

Yep!

Also re: tank swaps for Odin, I'm in full Ironworks gear at level 53 and his Einherjar definitely one-shots me if I don't have either Vengeance or Holmgang up - the problem he uses that move more times than my cooldowns can keep up with. Other CD mitigation doesn't seem to make a difference, so without another tank taking over between Einherjars it seems like the main tank either needs to be overgeared or get rezzed.

Unless I'm just missing something, which is totally possible, as this is the first time tanking has actually been challenging unless people are just straight-up not paying attention to mechanics or something. I need to figure out a better way to configure my hotbars on controller, using R1 to flip through tabs is too time consuming and really easy to overshoot when your panicking and looking for a skill, especially when I haven't memorized all of the icons and what they do yet.

I did get through it eventually but I'm definitely coming back later to farm the glams - between a 30 minute queue, up to 6 people all fighting for the same single drop, and wanting an entire set, it's just not worth it right now.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Unless I'm just missing something, which is totally possible, as this is the first time tanking has actually been challenging unless people are just straight-up not paying attention to mechanics or something. I need to figure out a better way to configure my hotbars on controller, using R1 to flip through tabs is too time consuming and really easy to overshoot when your panicking and looking for a skill, especially when I haven't memorized all of the icons and what they do yet.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3973448&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post516241905 is a great post that helps go into that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

This is perfect, thank you!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Regarding the content that was trimmed in 2.0-2.55, in addition to whole quests being removed, there were also quests that were left in the game, but had a bunch of useless filler cruft removed to improve the overall pacing. One of the most notorious of those being a quest where you were tasked with splash an angry drunk with a pail of water to cool him off.

In the old version of the quest, you accepted the quest, then went behind the building where the quest giver was, right clicked on an object, then waited for a cast bar to fill to pick it up. Then you had to walk over to a nearby river, and once again, click on an interactable object with a cast bar attached to set the bucket down in the river. Then you had to right click it again, with another cast bar, to fill it with water. Then you had to right click it again, with another cast bar, to pick it back up. Then you take it over to the drunk, and use the bucket one more time (with one last cast bar) in order to throw it on him. I can't remember if the quest also had you return the bucket to where you got it from, or if it just let you turn in the quest at that point, but either way, it was a huge waste of time.

In the new version of the quest, you accept the quest, receive a key item from the quest giver, go over to the drunk, use the key item, then return to the quest giver and turn in the quest.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Is there a reason why they handle 'key items' like they do? Most MMO's just let you turn in a quest or continue a scene if you have the item in your inventory. Why does FFXIV require the weird item delivery box thing?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a reason why they handle 'key items' like they do? Most MMO's just let you turn in a quest or continue a scene if you have the item in your inventory. Why does FFXIV require the weird item delivery box thing?

When in doubt, blame 1.0.

Alternatively, to give a sense of "you" doing something: you "physically" hand the item over to an NPC. But blaming 1.0 is both more likely and funnier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zurtilik posted:

Presumably it's just the same code that handles turning in non-key items, where you might legitimately have a reason to care which one you turn in

As for why it's the same code...shrug

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
A shortcut in this process is you can right click the item in the hand over box and select the item that pops up next to your cursor. Then click Hand Over. Don't know why they do it but i've done it so often I hardly think about it anymore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Or Square X X on controller

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Another big "holy poo poo" moment for me was realizing you could right click the top of basically every window in the game and scale its size up or down. No more zooming in all the way and still having to squint at your dude when you're previewing gear, scale that poo poo to 200%!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Or mash numpad 0 if the item is the first in your key item inventory, which it normally is

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Or mash numpad 0 if the item is the first in your key item inventory, which it normally is

some of us don't have a numpad :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sunday Morning posted:

A shortcut in this process is you can right click the item in the hand over box and select the item that pops up next to your cursor. Then click Hand Over. Don't know why they do it but i've done it so often I hardly think about it anymore.

Holy Carp.

Chillgamesh posted:

Another big "holy poo poo" moment for me was realizing you could right click the top of basically every window in the game and scale its size up or down. No more zooming in all the way and still having to squint at your dude when you're previewing gear, scale that poo poo to 200%!

HOLY CARP!

Thank you!

I've said it before, I love the amount of customization you can do to the UI and such in this game, but I hate how it's all accessed in different ways.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are the old tier relic weapons still a pain in the rear end to get? I like the looks of this flaming paladin sword.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Relics are a pain by definition yes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

fadam posted:

Are the old tier relic weapons still a pain in the rear end to get? I like the looks of this flaming paladin sword.

The grinds for older relic weapons have been nerfed considerably but they're still extremely taxing and can take upwards of several weeks to do depending on how much time you put into it each day.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a good write up for the requirements for each tier?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

fadam posted:

Is there a good write up for the requirements for each tier?

Depends on the relic weapon you're after. The flaming paladin sword sounds like the HW Anima relic which is nowadays primarily a tomestone sink with some busywork strewn in.

The wiki broadly describes the quests they involve (be wary of spoilers; care is not taken on the wiki to obfuscate them):

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Anima_Weapons

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So I'm trying to set R3 to soft target the target of my target, but I don't know the exact macro, is it /target <tt> ? I'm setting up a healer macro on my controller. Or am I doing this completely Bass Aackwards?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's actually a built in functionality for that exact targeting. I forget what it's called but you don't need to do a macro.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

So I'm trying to set R3 to soft target the target of my target, but I don't know the exact macro, is it /target <tt> ? I'm setting up a healer macro on my controller. Or am I doing this completely Bass Aackwards?

No need for a macro. If you go into controller configuration, there's a drop down menu for what the button does, and one of them is target of target

Well, it makes a hard target, not a soft target, so I guess that might be a no-sell? That said, I personally have that bind and rarely use it--mostly when I'm having trouble targeting the boss or want to find the main tank in another party in an alliance raid. Most of the time, I have the boss as my hard target and use the d pad to soft target the tank

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where do you start the special weapon quests. i only have samurai and dancer above 50 and i've never seen a blue quest about it. there's rowena in idyllshire but she's locked to seemingly every class that i'm not

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

cheetah7071 posted:

No need for a macro. If you go into controller configuration, there's a drop down menu for what the button does, and one of them is target of target

Well, it makes a hard target, not a soft target, so I guess that might be a no-sell? That said, I personally have that bind and rarely use it--mostly when I'm having trouble targeting the boss or want to find the main tank in another party in an alliance raid. Most of the time, I have the boss as my hard target and use the d pad to soft target the tank

Regy Rusty posted:

There's actually a built in functionality for that exact targeting. I forget what it's called but you don't need to do a macro.

So I might be doing this the crazy pants way, but I wanted to soft target the enemy, and hard target the tank, because I thought that way healing always goes to tank and damage always goes to enemy? So I was going to focus on the tank at the beginning of play, then /assist <focus> to soft target the enemy, and spam damage. This also lets me soft target friendlies to heal as well right? Or am I completely going about this the wrong way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Super No Vacancy posted:

where do you start the special weapon quests. i only have samurai and dancer above 50 and i've never seen a blue quest about it. there's rowena in idyllshire but she's locked to seemingly every class that i'm not

Samurai and dancer are late additions, so you'll only find them in their expansions or higher. For Sam, introduced in Stormblood, that involves doing Eureka at 70, or the Shadowbringers weapon at 80. Dancer only has an 80 weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

So I might be doing this the crazy pants way, but I wanted to soft target the enemy, and hard target the tank, because I thought that way healing always goes to tank and damage always goes to enemy? So I was going to focus on the tank at the beginning of play, then /assist <focus> to soft target the enemy, and spam damage. This also lets me soft target friendlies to heal as well right? Or am I completely going about this the wrong way.

You'll tend to spend more time casting damage spells than healing spells, and you're also more likely to cast multiple damaging spells in a row than multiple healing spells. In general, you want to use soft targeting when you're just going to cast a single spell on the target and then return to what you were doing. That better describes healing than damaging. You can still soft-target the entire party this way, using up and down on the D-pad.

The main time I hard-target the tank (as whm) is when I'm aoeing dungeon trash, because holy doesn't require a target.