Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

where do you start the special weapon quests. i only have samurai and dancer above 50 and i've never seen a blue quest about it. there's rowena in idyllshire but she's locked to seemingly every class that i'm not
The ARR relic quest is actually started from Nedrick in Vesper Bay for some reason. The HW one is from Rowena in Idyllshire. As mentioned you can only do a relic of a job that existed in that expansion or earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My normal healing method is that dungeon trash gets AoE-ed while I have the tank targetted, and bosses get focus-targetted and I use F keys or clicking to heal party members

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm arguing, because I just want to understand, but wouldn't it be better to do

/target <ft>
/focustarget
/target <tt>

then focus the tank at the beginning, and then you can just mash that button (R3) to automatically switch between the boss and the main tank?

If I understand the macroing system right, this allows me to always spend the most time dps-ing the boss / tanks target, gives me a quick swap to the tank, and still allows me to soft target the other players depending on damage dealt.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this? The macros just seem cool, and this is my first MMO I want to say ever, but that can't be right.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 28, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where is 'eureka'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Eureka can be reached from Kugane after completing the quest Stormblood.

Edit to be clear that's a level 70 quest.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 27, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That would work, so you aren't entirely off-base. But the whole point of the soft target/hard target system is that it makes it really easy to send just one spell at a non-main target and then return to your main target without pressing any additional buttons. So ideally, you want your hard target to be whatever you plan to spend the most time aiming at, and use soft-targeting for less frequent targets, to take advantage of that. If circumstances change and you expect to want the tank as your hard target (because a lot of damage is going out or something), then having R3 switch your hard target is pretty useful, and this is the behavior you get if you set R3 to be "Assist Target" in the drop down menu, with no macros necessary (and I can attest to it being somewhat useful, since I have it mapped that way myself)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

Another big "holy poo poo" moment for me was realizing you could right click the top of basically every window in the game and scale its size up or down. No more zooming in all the way and still having to squint at your dude when you're previewing gear, scale that poo poo to 200%!

With regards to UI customization, another handy tip I learned recently: you can get HUD elements to snap to the grid by holding down Shift, and move them pixel-by-pixel with CTRL + the directional keys.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is there a good WoWhead like site for FFXIV?

Also all this talk of cosmetics makes me want to know if there's a good way to peruse item appearances?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

cheetah7071 posted:

That would work, so you aren't entirely off-base. But the whole point of the soft target/hard target system is that it makes it really easy to send just one spell at a non-main target and then return to your main target without pressing any additional buttons. So ideally, you want your hard target to be whatever you plan to spend the most time aiming at, and use soft-targeting for less frequent targets, to take advantage of that. If circumstances change and you expect to want the tank as your hard target (because a lot of damage is going out or something), then having R3 switch your hard target is pretty useful, and this is the behavior you get if you set R3 to be "Assist Target" in the drop down menu, with no macros necessary (and I can attest to it being somewhat useful, since I have it mapped that way myself)

Ok, then I'll just do that, thanks!I have a level 37 AST but I decided I wanted to try WHM so I'm levelling a conjurer, and I wanted to teach myself the "Right" way early on.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Also all this talk of cosmetics makes me want to know if there's a good way to peruse item appearances?

I like to use garlandtools.org for that kind of thing, but if you're looking for more in depth information about glamours Eorzea Collection is probably better.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Zurtilik posted:

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com for glams and their items
http://garlandtools.org/db/ for looking up everything
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Main_Page for similar uses

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.ffxivcollection.com/ this site has the tiny issue of being only in japanese, but has the advantage of being more up-to-date than eorzea collection

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Kwyndig posted:

Eureka can be reached from Kugane after completing the quest Stormblood.

Edit to be clear that's a level 70 quest.
The initial quest for Eureka is in Rhalgr's Reach I believe, by the Summoning Bell, which then sends you to Kugane which then has the entrance point after some cutscenes.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

When you change jobs do you redo all of the quests you did in your first job or do you level up on open side quests and dungeons or something?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Aades posted:

When you change jobs do you redo all of the quests you did in your first job or do you level up on open side quests and dungeons or something?

Old side quests you didn't do, dungeons and duties, etc.

Guildleves and those map events used to be a bigger deal for leveling but they seem to be more in the backseat now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Aades posted:

You get double XP when levelling a class that isn't your highest level one so you can basically just power level pretty quickly by doing a handful of dungeons once you get to level 16

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Piell posted:

You get double XP when levelling a class that isn't your highest level one so you can basically just power level pretty quickly by doing a handful of dungeons once you get to level 16

It's slightly more complicated than that, the armory bonus works as 100% more if you are more than 10 levels difference from your highest and then switches to 50% when you are within 10

But that's nitpicky the point is it's deliberately easier to level another job after you have one at max

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aades posted:

Side quests don't give good XP, they're only for flavor and gear, basically. You get XP from doing dungeons, duty roulettes, beast tribe quests, and side activities like Palace of the Dead or Bozja.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Shugojin posted:

It's slightly more complicated than that, the armory bonus works as 100% more if you are more than 10 levels difference from your highest and then switches to 50% when you are within 10

Not quite. The armory bonus is 100% for levels 1-69, 50% at 70 and above. So it works like you say if and only if you have a max level job. If your highest level job is 35 then you still get a 100% bonus for all jobs level 1-34.

Side note: different XP bonuses stack additively, and they don't apply to every source of XP. If you have the armory bonus (+100%), the XP ring from doing The Smith's tutorial (+30%), an XP earring from an expansion pre-order (+30%) and rested XP (50%) then you get 210% total for a 3.1x XP multiplier when murdering things. Almost all XP bonuses only apply to XP from kills, not XP from quests or anything else. Exceptions: the armory bonus also applies to Levequests and FATEs, but not other quests. Road to 70 applies to absolutely everything.

Combat job XP sources, in some sort of rough order of value:
- Roulettes
- Highest Level Dungeon
- Palace of the Dead, Heaven on High and Bozja
- Hunts
- Beast Tribe Dailies, Side Quests, Levequests, FATEs

For starting a brand new job, do your class hunt log plus job quests, and kill wildlife indiscriminately until 15. At level 15, do a leveling roulette/day and otherwise run high level dungeons. Clear hunt log targets while in queue. Possibly do Palace of the Dead if you enjoy it.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 27, 2021

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

There are four players with violins in Limsa Lominsa playing Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance in game somehow. :confused:

Edit: And now Green Day’s Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Pug Rodeo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 28, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Is there something I'm missing because I cannot unlock Guildhests still at level 16? I even went to the Battlewarden in The Shroud. Did they change the way you unlock these?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pug Rodeo posted:

There are four players with violins in Limsa Lominsa playing Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance in game somehow. :confused:

Edit: And now Green Day’s Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Bards can play music.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Zurtilik posted:

Is there something I'm missing because I cannot unlock Guildhests still at level 16? I even went to the Battlewarden in The Shroud. Did they change the way you unlock these?

They unlock after you unlock the regular leves introduction quest given at your starter inn. Once you complete that first leve unlocking they will say "oh you should go try these" and have you talk to the guildleve person. Just did this the other day on an alt and it's still the way it works.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Ah! I skipped the regular leves was my issue. Thank you so much!

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

SirSamVimes posted:

Bards can play music.

I’d seen them playing before but had no idea you could actually “play” your own music. Pretty neat!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Pug Rodeo posted:

I’d seen them playing before but had no idea you could actually “play” your own music. Pretty neat!

Yeah it blew my mind a bit when I saw it too.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Pug Rodeo posted:

My first encounter with this was a guy in one of the Gridania offshoots playing Legend of Zelda music while dressed as Link.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

What should I be spending company seals on? So far I've just been getting a decent stockpile of glamour prisms with them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

What should I be spending company seals on? So far I've just been getting a decent stockpile of glamour prisms with them.

Venture coins for sending your retainers out on Ventures.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Glamour Prisms and Ventures are really the only thing if you don't want the glamour.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 28, 2021

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Depending on your data center and world the crafting materials can be a passive source of income too. But the quicker-moving stuff is behind the higher ranks.

EDIT: This is if you're not on the free trial. If you're on the free trial, glamour prisms are probably the biggest one because your only other source of prisms is crafting and that can take time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The gear your Grand Company sells for company seals is very good for the 1-50 stretch, so it's worth an investment in those if you have any jobs you're currently leveling up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So now that I’ve unlocked Summoner, are the two original ones I got from Arcanist completely irrelevant, or are they still worth keeping on the hotbars?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

So now that I’ve unlocked Summoner, are the two original ones I got from Arcanist completely irrelevant, or are they still worth keeping on the hotbars?

Keep 'em, they get upgraded into egis later.

Also, there's a quest you can find back at the arcanists guild at level 50 that will let you turn them all back into carbuncles if you want, even Ifrit. Just cosmetically of course, they still do the same things.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Summoner progresses a little weird but basically those two buttons will still be used, but you're soon going to replace the things they summon with stronger versions.

That said you can remove the yellow one because there's really no situation you're gonna need it. Green for AOE and red for single target is about all you need to know.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically, your green carbuncle/egi is used when you want to aoe (3+ enemies), your red one is used when you want single target. The yellow one is mostly useless. Every so often you'll find a bit of solo content where its shield is useful, though

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 28, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

fadam posted:

Is there a good write up for the requirements for each tier?

Here are some very good reddit writeups for each of the past expansions's relics that I found very helpful and follow myself:

ARR: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4zoqf/the_way_to_zeta_in_45/
(A couple of other supplementary links that have useful data for ARR relics that aren't mentioned in that guide: https://i.redd.it/4u0zwem2vz451.png, https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/bi81w9/reliczodiac_weapon_books_visual_guide/)

HW: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/e3exi0/the_way_to_anima_in_51/

SB: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/hed93l/the_way_to_eureka_in_52/

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Above all, is up your rank with them if you haven't already capped it. But you've probably already done that.

Hellioning posted:

Glamour Prisms and Ventures are really the only thing if you don't want the glamour.

This goes with glamour, I suppose, but if you plan on doing the ARR or HW relics you can grab some of the items for those ahead of time.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

What's the point of ventures? I'm around storm blood and I've never really interacted with my retainers outside of selling some poo poo when my bags are full, are they actually worth doing? Same question with combat chocobo, I don't think I've used it once since unlocking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mainwaring posted:

What's the point of ventures? I'm around storm blood and I've never really interacted with my retainers outside of selling some poo poo when my bags are full, are they actually worth doing? Same question with combat chocobo, I don't think I've used it once since unlocking it.

Ventures are the best way to get large quantities of materials dropped by enemies, and a low-effort way to get large quantities of easy-to-gather materials