Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Also counterpoint: for the price of an OP-1 you can get something with a hell of a nice keyboard. Wonder how much of a Moog or Roland you can get for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Get what you think looks fun to use and inspiring to you. They’re instruments. Plus if you buy used you can generally sell it for about what you paid since people love buying synths.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man, the OP-33 K.O. is so stinking cool. I wish I bought one of these a year ago. I’m walking around my place hitting things against other things to see what it sounds like.

I still have my piano, guitar, banjo, turntable, vinyl. So many sounds to pull.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've made more money trading synths than I ever have trying my luck on the stock market lmao

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

Man, the OP-33 K.O. is so stinking cool. I wish I bought one of these a year ago. I’m walking around my place hitting things against other things to see what it sounds like.

I still have my piano, guitar, banjo, turntable, vinyl. So many sounds to pull.

Fucken A you rock

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

PO-33 rules, I sampled myself popping a bunch of bubble wrap into it and it makes the best snare sound

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm definitely getting one now

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think it’s exactly what I needed. I felt overwhelmed trying to shop for synths but now I’m just sitting here making beats. I think this thing will end up helping me narrow down what I want next.

I sampled a C key on my piano into the melodic section and boom, 16 piano sounds. Yell “AYYYOOO” into it, mess with the pitch, throw it in. Took a recording from Robocop into the drum section and now I have a ton of his walking/servo sounds.

I’m having just too much fun.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

circuit rhythm should have a little mic on it imo. I still want one but its funny how close you can come to replicating the SP404 without actually going all the way. It does seem to handle the slice + sequence flavor of oktatrack pretty well which is mostly what I used that for

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

kurzweil k2000s are still relatively cheap. like, if someone wanted a good synth with a good keyboard and a sequencer

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Man the K2000 was like the biggest dick item back in the day too. The like supreme holy poo poo I can do everything from here but it costs more than my car synth. At least 17 year old me felt that way I dunno

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

JamesKPolk posted:

This is part of my problem is I think the OP-1 rules and used to spend every lunch break I could demoing it at AC Gears in Manhattan but I would love nothing more than to see Teenage Engineering fail. Cutesy rear end toy for grownup company burying all that power under friggin' coloring books-for-adults-rear end-aesthetics! At least its not Behringer I guess

Every instrument, from a Stradivarius to a Stratocaster, is a toy. There are no business trombones.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

chaosbreather posted:

Every instrument, from a Stradivarius to a Stratocaster, is a toy. There are no business trombones.

Yeah this is an attitude that I really don’t get. It’s supposed to be fun and creative.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TE design and aesthetics are really really good.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

Yeah I guess I'm just at an age where I think wooden blocks are cooler than fisher price pianos

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

fisher price pianos unironically own

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So I think I'm going to be returning Pigments. Despite their best efforts to make the UI transparent, the whole thing is just a bit too divey and deep to get around, the tone is a bit uncharismatic to my ears, and the final straw is the lack of mouse wheel support for the knobs.

gently caress it, I'm just getting Serum instead. I compared the demo side-by-side with pigments, its UI is much more cohesive and it's got way cooler filters.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chaosbreather posted:

There are no business trombones.

I like this sentence and will be using it before I die.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

toadee posted:

Man the K2000 was like the biggest dick item back in the day too. The like supreme holy poo poo I can do everything from here but it costs more than my car synth. At least 17 year old me felt that way I dunno

Can confirm, had to get a license :cumpolice:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

snorch posted:

So I think I'm going to be returning Pigments. Despite their best efforts to make the UI transparent, the whole thing is just a bit too divey and deep to get around, the tone is a bit uncharismatic to my ears, and the final straw is the lack of mouse wheel support for the knobs.

gently caress it, I'm just getting Serum instead. I compared the demo side-by-side with pigments, its UI is much more cohesive and it's got way cooler filters.

Earlier in the thread someone suggested I try PhasePlant and Vital instead of Serum and that was, I feel, good advice, said as someone who did nevertheless do a month with Serum for the sake of comparison. Serum is great and capable, it just turns out that there are places to go from there that do more, as it's been out for a while now. But being such a standard it does have an incredible amount of presets available for it out there, and it was fun to learn with for that month, I have nothing bad to say about it as such I just found the alternatives suggested to me to be more compelling personally.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

As someone who uses Reaper on both Linux and Windows (for reasons of space it makes sense to record guitars/vox in one area and machines another), there's definitely an argument for Just Works on the Linux side that I never expected to be seeing these days except for VST dlls of course. I've not tried to shim those, the latency's not worth it, but if there's a native port, I'll use that. The biggest problem I have on the Windows side is the fight between USB audio devices. I'm resigned to getting a second audio interface for the Windows box to resolve this eventually because otherwise I'm stuck with swapping them out and resetting Reaper every time (that's something I dearly wish Reaper would address, custom device profiles that I could save).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Giving the CA-X Pocket Operator case a C-. The cutout isn’t flush with the screen edges, battery covers don’t hold well and it just doesn’t feel like something that cost 30-40 bucks.

I’m gonna keep it on cause this thing is gonna be going in my travel bag but I wish there were nicer options.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

Giving the CA-X Pocket Operator case a C-. The cutout isn’t flush with the screen edges, battery covers don’t hold well and it just doesn’t feel like something that cost 30-40 bucks.

I’m gonna keep it on cause this thing is gonna be going in my travel bag but I wish there were nicer options.

That’s surprising, I have two and they fit perfect and feel real nice. I consider those essential for the POs now.

On that note I need more POs!!!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I like the newer generic cases better than the first couple runs which were device specific. They changed the mold to snap to the battery area better, and the button action is less dampened.

There are also people on etsy who 3D print cases for pocket operators. I don't know anyone's specific reputation, but some of them are supposed to be good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've been liking these a lot:

https://i.imgur.com/cIBg7T5.mp4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324721414101?ViewItem=&item=324721414101

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Agreed posted:

Earlier in the thread someone suggested I try PhasePlant and Vital instead of Serum and that was, I feel, good advice, said as someone who did nevertheless do a month with Serum for the sake of comparison.

I wasn't too in love with vital (but free!), phase plant looks a lot like what I'm looking for, I'll check it out thanks.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2021

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

TE design and aesthetics are really really good.

Yup. The OP-1 is just fun to use. I struggled with the cost even back when it was cheaper, but I don't regret it. It doesn't get a ton of use lately, but every time I go back to it it makes me smile.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

PhasePlant is outrageous, and the SnapHeap plugins are quite good as well. Hope you like it as you get to know it more Snorch!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

phase plant is pretty absurd yeah

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So after trying Phase Plant my verdict is: despite its glaring lack of mouse wheel support, it's pretty neat, definitely a step up from pigments.

If they weren't charging an extra $100 for snapin effects I consider absolutely essential (and their "just the tip" model of allowing existing presets to use them anyways), I'd probably go for it. But between its incredible dedication to workflow, and the abundance of amazing preset packs, Serum is still coming out on top for me. My only wish for it would be better sample support.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it has microtonal support. it doesn't need anything else

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Does not ship to Canada.

chaosbreather posted:

So like, I agree with the sentiment of this post, in terms of "whatever, an OP-1 is a toy, it's OK for it to look like a toy". But there kinda are people for whom their primary source of income is playing a trombone, and for whom their trombone is ~serious business~.

To bring this back to the thread topic, various high-end synth "workstations" are probably good examples of a "business synth".

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So like, I agree with the sentiment of this post, in terms of "whatever, an OP-1 is a toy, it's OK for it to look like a toy". But there kinda are people for whom their primary source of income is playing a trombone, and for whom their trombone is ~serious business~.

To bring this back to the thread topic, various high-end synth "workstations" are probably good examples of a "business synth".

To me, a really great example of this is the Prophet 08 Rev 2 - a re-release of a pretty boring Curtis filter/vca voice polysynth that a lot of the GS/MW set nerds were mad about specifically to make it (and they talked about this in press releases) backwards compatible for all the national touring acts that used it as part of their backline and needed to replace units they fried

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

K2700 lol :rip: :cry:
I'm glad it's happening, I want Kurzweil to be around and making boards, but this is not exactly the triumphant return to the halcyon days I would've liked from a new K.
E: not even an update to the clonewheel!!! I blame Andrew Lloyd

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Kurzweil doesn't need to design new synths any more. When he ascends to digital godhood his body will become a synth

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Does not ship to Canada.

Mods, please change my user name to "business trombones"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And let me have a trombone solo in Donna Summer's "She worked hard for the money." Business style, IYKWIM.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Does not ship to Canada.

Bring back the Laibach av, so I can recognize you, dangit.

In other news, I picked up a midi controller with16 knobs from tindie. I wanted to be able to have abunch of twisty controls for vcv rack, but when I go to map them, all the knobs end up mapping to the same control. They all apparently output the same cc. Are there any simple utilities I can use to get this sorted? I tried to contact the maker, but the internet in Belarus seems to have gone down.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 29, 2021

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

you would need the software that goes with it, and I doubt some homemade mystery controller has some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I figured as much. Glad it wasn't pricey, and it has a stellar wood box. I figure a korg nanokontrol2 should do what I need right?