Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean a good chunk of this thread went hard in on taking their mask off when cdc said it was okay and called people doomers for thinking that was premature in the face of delta/other looming variants. I think if the cdc goes whoops my bad we’ll get more people wearing them again.

You might see some businesses requiring them again at least where it's legal to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

liz posted:

CDC expected to reverse mask guidance for vaccinated people today.

Hope no one was waiting for a strong recommendation, this sounds pretty weak

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420022289911910414

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hope no one was waiting for a strong recommendation, this sounds pretty weak

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420022289911910414

I really admire how much work the word "some" is doing in this headline

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Can't wait for all of the complaining from people who aren't going to change a drat thing anyway and haven't changed their life at all since the beginning of the pandemic.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
As a horrible uggo, I consider masks a great social equaliser and don't think we should ever again allow another pretty face out in the wild to manipulate the proper order of things.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

cash crab posted:

I really admire how much work the word "some" is doing in this headline

The 'Some people in certain circumstances' is a good half of the people in the country anytime they are indoors in public so yeah really underselling it there.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Thoguh posted:

The 'Some people in certain circumstances' is a good half of the people in the country anytime they are indoors in public so yeah really underselling it there.

This is definitely purposeful. Allow people to exclude themselves from the category to their own convenience and you can continue working under the assumption that it's a pandemic of personal choice and atomization.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I imagine we're going to see a whole lot of announcements like this very soon.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1420066984524320770?s=20

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The response from my local Republican Committee on Facebook:

"The Delta Variant is just the beginning.

Soon you will see more lockdowns in states that were lockdown-friendly the first go-round. You will see new mask mandates in those states, too. You will see at least one more stimulus, likely by the end of this year, that the American people will see 10% of while the rest goes to left-wing pet projects ("stimulus"). And you will certainly see renewed, intrusive Faucist guidelines from the CDC.

None of this will go away until next fall (2022), just before the midterms. The virus will be weaponized.

Biden, the guy who delivered one of the most embarrassing town halls of any president I've witnessed and mentioned sucking children's blood will have "cured" the world of Covid-19 by then, regardless of what infection rates look like at that moment.

Moral of the story: We have another year plus of this Bullsh*t to go."

The top comment:

"Do you really think that is Biden that we are seeing on the news? I don't believe it for one minute... I believe these peopel are al either clones or masked. I am getting so sick and tired of so many lies that we have been told... it never stops."

Yeah, these people are definitely gonna get vaxxed of their own free will.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Biden, the guy who delivered one of the most embarrassing town halls of any president I've witnessed and mentioned sucking children's blood will have "cured" the world of Covid-19 by then, regardless of what infection rates look like at that moment.
Hell of a way for them to frame this.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Centusin posted:

Conspiracy theorists are going to be very excited today I guess

My stepdad has already emailed me about this, showing that it proves that covid is all hyped. It doesn't help that my mom ended up with an extremely mild case, so he thinks it's all bullshit anyway.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

binge crotching posted:

My stepdad has already emailed me about this, showing that it proves that covid is all hyped. It doesn't help that my mom ended up with an extremely mild case, so he thinks it's all bullshit anyway.

Every time I see anything about Facebook, I am reminded Mark Zuckerberg poisoned my parent's brains with misinformation

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1420075039769124869

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The CDC's new guidance is out, turns out that their recommendation that people wear masks indoors in "certain areas" includes two thirds of the counties in the entire country plus all K-12 schools everywhere

quote:

CDC updates guidance, recommends vaccinated people wear masks indoors in certain areas

To prevent further spread of the Delta variant, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its mask guidance on Tuesday to recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks indoors when in areas with "substantial" and "high" transmission of Covid-19, which includes nearly two-thirds of all US counties.

New unpublished data showing that vaccinated people infected with the Delta coronavirus variant can have as much virus as those who are unvaccinated is the primary driver for the CDC's latest mask guidance change, a source involved with the decision process told CNN. Overall, vaccinated people still play a small role in transmission and breakthrough infections are rare.

In addition, the source noted two other factors that led to this decision: the prevalence of the Delta variant and low vaccine uptake.

[...]

Nearly half -- 46% -- of US counties currently have high transmission and 17% have "substantial" transmission, according to data from the CDC, as of Tuesday morning.

In two states, Arkansas and Louisiana, every county is currently listed as having "high" levels of community transmission of Covid-19, according to CDC data. Several other states -- including Missouri, Mississippi and Alabama -- also have "high" transmission in nearly every county. In Florida, every county was listed with high transmission on Monday; as of Tuesday morning, one -- Glades County -- has substantial transmission.

The CDC's latest guidance also recommends for community leaders to encourage vaccination and mask-wearing to prevent further outbreaks in areas of substantial and high transmission.
The agency recommends that local jurisdictions encourage universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to schools, regardless of vaccination status.

Earlier this month, the CDC's Covid-19 school guidance noted that fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks, and then about a week later the American Academy of Pediatrics issued stricter guidance recommending that everyone older than 2 wear a mask in schools, regardless of vaccination their status.

Now the updated CDC guidance recommends everyone in schools wear a mask.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/health/cdc-mask-guidance-vaccinated-people-bn/index.html

Counties coloured red or orange on this map are now recommended to mask up indoors:

E: the part about how the CDC now says "vaccinated people infected with the Delta coronavirus variant can have as much virus as those who are unvaccinated" is also a bit of an eye opener

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 27, 2021

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I imagine we're going to see a whole lot of announcements like this very soon.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1420066984524320770?s=20

Over 600 universities and colleges have already put in a vax requirement of some sort for the coming fall semester. Here is the most recent map from the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Of course, like everything loving dumb thing, politics has led to a pretty goddamn stark divide on this. I bet there are a decent amount of public universities and colleges that would like to put a requirement, but their respective state governments would come down with a loving hammer for violating some bullshit freedoms.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 27, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Over 600 universities and colleges have put in a vax requirement of some sort for the coming fall semester. Here is the most recent map from the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Of course, like everything loving dumb thing, politics has led to a pretty goddamn stark divide on this.

A bunch of red states have actually made it illegal for schools to introduce vaccine mandates
https://www.wmur.com/article/school-vaccines-required-states-fighting-mandates/37088549

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
https://nypost.com/2021/07/27/de-blasio-proclaims-voluntary-phase-is-over-on-covid-vaccines/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well that didn’t take long for them to go right back to it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Fox News: Fair and Balanced Standing up for What's Right It doesn't matter if we're right, just as long as YOU'RE WRONG

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Two thirds of current cases in NSW are under 40.

540 out of almost 2400 cases are aged between 20-24.

From today anyone over 18 will be able to get AZ at participating pharmacies and from the weekend at state vaccination hubs.

Pfizer is still the only vaccine approved for 16 and 17 year olds and it's only available to those in vulnerable groups.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Man I'm glad to live in the northeast

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The CDC's new guidance is out, turns out that their recommendation that people wear masks indoors in "certain areas" includes two thirds of the counties in the entire country plus all K-12 schools everywhere

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/health/cdc-mask-guidance-vaccinated-people-bn/index.html

Counties coloured red or orange on this map are now recommended to mask up indoors:

E: the part about how the CDC now says "vaccinated people infected with the Delta coronavirus variant can have as much virus as those who are unvaccinated" is also a bit of an eye opener

I just came.

Our current policy is no masks required for staff or students unless the county's positivity rate hits level 3 or higher. School starts in 2 days and hopefully they update our policy.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Got my second jab tonight, yay :)

Unfortunately tomorrow will be an intense day at work. I'm hoping that I won't feel too poo poo. The first injection, whose effects most people hardly notice, gave me a fair bit of brain fog and tiredness. But hey, I get to go out soon, catch up on doctors and family visits :)

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Lord Stimperor posted:

Got my second jab tonight, yay :)

Unfortunately tomorrow will be an intense day at work. I'm hoping that I won't feel too poo poo. The first injection, whose effects most people hardly notice, gave me a fair bit of brain fog and tiredness. But hey, I get to go out soon, catch up on doctors and family visits :)

Congrats! Unfortunately in my and my family's experience the day after the second shot sucked rear end. I'd call out of work if I was you.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Schmeichy posted:

Congrats! Unfortunately in my and my family's experience the day after the second shot sucked rear end. I'd call out of work if I was you.

Thanks! I'm WFH so luckily I can probably just cancel most calls and it'll be fine. GF promised she'd care for me so I've got that to look forward to (it's her turn next week).

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rolo posted:

Well that didn’t take long for them to go right back to it.

Why do the vaccinated need masks?

Because you loving plague rats abused the no-masks-for-the-vaccinated honor system and now we just have to assume nobody is vaccinated, thanks.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I just came.

Our current policy is no masks required for staff or students unless the county's positivity rate hits level 3 or higher. School starts in 2 days and hopefully they update our policy.

When you say positivity rate, do you mean percentage of positive tests or case rate per 100k? Because I remember a few places trying to using the testing positivity rate like that and man, that on it's own is really not useful for that kind of milestone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dwarf74 posted:

Because you loving plague rats abused the no-masks-for-the-vaccinated honor system and now we just have to assume nobody is vaccinated, thanks.

It’s actually because CDC is following the science on Delta, OP.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

They always needed them to actually try and limit the spread of COVID-19.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

It’s actually because CDC is following the science on Delta, OP.
I'm not disagreeing with that, just noting we're in worse shape now in part because of fox news itself.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

wilderthanmild posted:

When you say positivity rate, do you mean percentage of positive tests or case rate per 100k? Because I remember a few places trying to using the testing positivity rate like that and man, that on it's own is really not useful for that kind of milestone.

Indiana bases it off what they refer to as a Weekly 2-Metric Score that appears to be based on weekly cases per 100k and 7-day test positivity rate. I've only watched our dashboard so maybe other states do this as well, but I'm not sure.

The superintendents in this county had a meeting a couple weeks ago and I would bet my paycheck that it was all about appeasing parents. I don't think there was any science behind what they chose to do other "How do I keep Billy's Trump-loving dad/mom from calling with meth-fueled rage and screaming at the secretaries every day about masks and/or threatening me with their gun collection?"

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Good luck with that

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1420108139488333830?s=19

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420166389575389184

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

It surely is a shock that republicans would weaponize the term 'The Science'. Definitely no precedent for that and no way it could have been easily predicted.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bill Burr's latest podcast has him being definitely doompilled

Just "EVERYONE WITHOUT A VACCINE JUST DIE MANNN, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT I DONT GIVE A poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAnwH-A05Uo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ignoring the CDC means America is returning to normal!