Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

I fully expect he's on an FBI list somewhere for a while now.

They've probably got enough employees

Thwomp posted:

Current Event: the select committee on the 1/6 attack is currently happening right now. Just moved into the question phase.

During the opening statement, one office recalled Trump’s very fine people throwing the n-word at him.

https://twitter.com/tpm/status/1420035316132499463?s=21

Look at my shocked face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

They've probably got enough employees

Joking aside, given Flynn's history I doubt the FBI wants that much of a loose cannon on their payroll.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

RFC2324 posted:

physical cash is good because you maybe don't want the government to be able to track all your transactions.

Yuuuup. My buddy’s dealer years ago got a warning from chase about too many $40/$80/$etc deposits from Venmo on a regular basis and suggested that he knock it off. They’re watching.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure they're in the habit of hiring people that have been found guilty of lying to them

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

It would be great if we got as proper, non-exploitative public banking system in the US, but the predatory payday lenders and even the sightly more legit banks have way too much influence for such to ever get through. I dream of a national ID system that proactively enrolls and issues IDs to all residents, with the IDs linked to basic bank accounts so no one has to ever touch cash again. Would completely undercut a whole swathe of businesses that are based exclusively on out-and-out exploration of their "customers".

And, sure, if the Nazis gained power it could be exploited horribly, but the same is true of every aspect of government. I'd rather have a government that actively attempts to meet its citizens need, even if I have to fight extra hard to keep Nazis out of power, than to throw my hands in the air and say we can never have nice things else the Nazis might use them against us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis

They got wiped out

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That Works posted:

Not sure they're in the habit of hiring people that have been found guilty of lying to them

But the agents write reports all the time

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stravag posted:

But the agents write reports all the time

:laffo:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

devmd01 posted:

Yuuuup. My buddy’s dealer years ago got a warning from chase about too many $40/$80/$etc deposits from Venmo on a regular basis and suggested that he knock it off. They’re watching.

People seem to think that venmo is some kind of magic secure transaction system but it's just a convenient third-party commerical frontend for regular interbank transfers. Your bank is still always aware of what's going into your account.

Part of the reason things like it and cashapp don't exist in Canada is because we actually *have* a functioning, easy to use, national interbank network with online and phone-based transfers that are subject to banking regulations, so we don't need some financial corporation to make it easy. It already is. My previous landlord returned my damage deposit by an Interac e-transfer when I moved out. It just showed up in my chequing account, and all she needed to do was use my phone number as the recipient.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PookBear posted:

You have a legal business that uses cash, say a restaurant. You have 10 tables per night, each paying $100. But you make up an 11th table and claim they paid with cash say $150 allowing you to 'wash' $150 worth of dirty money each day

The problem is that you are limited in how much money you can launder by what the business actually makes. A coin operated car wash that makes 10 million a year is going to be suspicious. With serious money you need things like real estate, art etc where its impossible to quantify their value. Buy real estate with clean money, wait five years, sell to a shady russian firm for 4x what you paid who buy it using the dirty money you give them.

Time to go to Jamaica

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

My previous landlord returned my damage deposit

The ways of Canadian banking may be foreign to us but this, this is alien.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

devmd01 posted:

That's part of how they busted superhero Phoenix Jones after an undercover cop paid him $300 on Venmo for MDMA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shame on an IGA posted:

The ways of Canadian banking may be foreign to us but this, this is alien.

I keep hearing people claim they have had these returned, but the best I have learned to hope for isn't sending me an extra bill for like "washed the garage"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

That's pretty normal, basically they are saying "You are risking being audited and we don't want to get caught up in it"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

That's pretty normal, basically they are saying "You are risking being audited and we don't want to get caught up in it"

Thats the point. Sometimes you want actual cash so there aren't a ton of suspicious transactions pointing straight at your name.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’ve had every security deposit returned to me since I started renting.

Stop being slobs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My wife once got her whole deposit held because the landlord claimed a furnace filter cost $400

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/kylieatwood/status/1420127149235834887?s=19

Good. I know around here (NC) the health systems and State are requiring vaccination much like flu shot or other vaccines

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good. I know around here (NC) the health systems and State are requiring vaccination much like flu shot or other vaccines

Hahahahaha oh poo poo - I have a co-worker who is going to lose his mind.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TCD posted:

There are some people at my facility that are absolutely going to lose their poo poo over this. I'm excited.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

fknlo posted:

There are some people at my facility that are absolutely going to lose their poo poo over this. I'm excited.

I'm legit looking forward to going in tomorrow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

I’ve had every security deposit returned to me since I started renting.

Stop being slobs.

Most everyone I know in the Boston area has had to take or at the least threaten legal action to get deposits back. None of them had any realistic damages either.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Govt/Contractor folks have already been spicy over rumors of a mask mandate return, going to roast a lot of marshmallows over the dumpster fire of mandatory vaxxing :munch:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Nick Soapdish posted:

:sickos:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TCD posted:

I don't know whether to bring popcorn in to the office or take some PTO so I don't get active shootered.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm down with ever increasing vaccination mandates. Personally I'm waiting for full FDA authorization and active duty people getting told they no longer have a choice in the matter.

I have already committed to bringing multiple bags of microwave popcorn the day after that happens and ensuring I have one in hand to eat from every minute of the day while grinning from ear to ear. The bitching and moaning will be delicious seasoning.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

chequing account

The what now?

Oh hey, finally some good news.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Vaccines might not be as hard a sell in a few weeks:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420121634539819014

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420141224644722689

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If you're a contractor and you didn't use covid to duck out of the client site and WFH forever then :lol:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can't WFH ever but I do get to avoid working at the client site and all of our meetings are remote now so that's a big positive

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you're a contractor and you didn't use covid to duck out of the client site and WFH forever then :lol:

We got brought back to the office last month :(

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That Works posted:

Most everyone I know in the Boston area has had to take or at the least threaten legal action to get deposits back. None of them had any realistic damages either.

I almost hoped for them to withhold it because in MA the rules about security deposits are ridiculously strict and specific and if the landlord fucks it up it's automatic triple the deposit punitive damages plus legal fees.

But yeah at the same time I've also heard the same thing from people who rent in Boston.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm trying to bring everyone back that I can. One funny bit is my other boss is 100% telework, including him. He said if they try to bring him back, he's walking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The stupid is coming from inside the country!

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-26/huntington-beach-restaurant-wants-unvaccinated-diners

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

TCD posted:

I'm trying to bring everyone back that I can. One funny bit is my other boss is 100% telework, including him. He said if they try to bring him back, he's walking.

I would walk too, gently caress offices

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jarmak posted:

I almost hoped for them to withhold it because in MA the rules about security deposits are ridiculously strict and specific and if the landlord fucks it up it's automatic triple the deposit punitive damages plus legal fees.

But yeah at the same time I've also heard the same thing from people who rent in Boston.

Yeah it's largely that they know most of the people renting are students or people from overseas who are going to get out of town when they move and aren't gonna fight for the deposit / be able to very easily. The second you bring up legal action they cave but a lot of people don't know that's what it takes to get your money back.

e: same as the cabs having a "broken meter" until you tell them you'll call it in to the police because it's illegal to operate without one.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nick Soapdish posted:

Dammit, it doesn't include military. For an ephemeral moment I started to get my hopes up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Outbreak detailed a solid method for dealing with a hot spot like this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That Works posted:

In Seattle area moved after 5 years and didn’t get deposit back but not for the scratch on the sliding glass door or melted rubber in carpet, but because of damage to the countertops? They had been in good shape but whatever it would have been something.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

fknlo posted:

Same here. About loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Nevada just brought back the mask mandate, which is good considering we're basically the Delta hot spot.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Gimme da cash.xls

Oceans365 :v: