Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

is there any way to turn off the UI in third person mode?

Would like to know this as well. I tried looking for it but got lost in a maze of menu options.

I want to take pretty pictures without UI.

hmm, does this work? https://twinfinite.net/2020/08/microsoft-flight-simulator-screenshots-remove-ui/
It's for pc and I just turned off my xbox for the day but sounds like this may work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There’s a free-look mode where I can just look around at poo poo without worrying about my plane crashing, right? How do I do that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kevyn posted:

There’s a free-look mode where I can just look around at poo poo without worrying about my plane crashing, right? How do I do that?
Dive into the control settings and bind a button (or button combo, I bound mine to RT+START) to either "Active Pause" or "Pause On" and "Pause Off". Active Pause freezes your plane in the air, but keeps the simulation running so you're still burning fuel and your autopilot might bug out when it's turned off. Pause On/Off is more traditional, I guess.

From there, press the left stick to open up the toolbar, select the camera, and set it to "Showcase". Now you have a free camera you can zoom around where-ever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheScott2K posted:

They would be smart to make printable PDF reference cards for the HOTAS setups they support in the game. I'm constantly bringing up the controls menu because I forgot which button on this thing does the parking brake and stuff.

This is such a good idea, because the reference cards that came with complex PC games back in the day were the only way I could play poo poo like Tie Fighter and Mechwarrior 2. Without them I would have been too frustrated about having to remember what all the keys on the keyboard did.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
anyone’s Xbox live acting weird? I just bought Metro exodus and now I can’t download it or go back to the store

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

The Kins posted:

From there, press the left stick to open up the toolbar, select the camera, and set it to "Showcase". Now you have a free camera you can zoom around where-ever.

Thanks. I found Spook Central.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

anyone’s Xbox live acting weird? I just bought Metro exodus and now I can’t download it or go back to the store

The servers are getting destroyed by Microsoft Flight Simulator release, and massive update.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m terrible at flying :newlol:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeeBoi posted:

Takeoffs and flying are okay, but the landings... Big oof. Just like Top Gun on the NES; that fookin' aircraft carrier landing. :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I keep accidentally clicking in the left stick when turning and then losing all control.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone try the Logitech 3d stock?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Anyone else's first flight get stuck about halfway through loading? Is this just a server load issue or first time loading stuff?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I crashed into my own house but my plane didn't actually crash it just flipped upside down and the landing gear got stuck in the ceiling.

I know it's not meant to just be a Google Earth drone game but it's slightly surprising just how bad regular towns look in this. The algorithm makes everything in a medium sized city look like dirt roads and barns. I guess that's what I get for living in Iowa.

Gonna do some night flying later so hopefully that looks pretty cool.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

vlad3217 posted:

Anyone else's first flight get stuck about halfway through loading? Is this just a server load issue or first time loading stuff?

I kept getting stuck in the menus, I think the servers are screaming right now.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I wish I could type in an address I can fly to

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

ZeeBoi posted:

I wish I could type in an address I can fly to

If you know the latitude/longitude the PC version let you input those and start in the air at that point, it might be the textbox under departure airport but the menus aren't working for me to check.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Knightmare posted:

I kept getting stuck in the menus, I think the servers are screaming right now.

Yeah I did a couple of the training things and those worked fine (and I'm guessing are not online) so I'm guessing server issues

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This game is insane. I've flown around like 10 different neighborhoods near me and recognized buildings and road signs in every one :eyepop:

Some of the buildings look hosed up but I can still tell what they are from having driven past them so many times IRL.

ZeeBoi posted:

:same: haha

I've crashed several times. At first I was going through the tutorials but they were very slow and I just wanted to fly, so I did but without a proper handle of what I was doing.

Oh well, I still managed to recognize a bunch of poo poo.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea this is great. Just flying over all the different cities I’ve lived in and looking for monuments and then crashing into my previous houses.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m a big fan of all the huge trees clipping through the outer lanes of I-45 as cars drive perpendicular to the actual highway.

Flew over Minute Maid Park and tried to land on the GRB Convention Center, ended up smashing into the Toyota Center roof upside-down and sideways.

6/10, would probably fly Air Wagner again.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

univbee posted:

Do you need free space for Flight Simulator on your Xbox Series X the fourth or so Xbox? Well I have good news! I've done a copious breakdown of the game made by war criminals and misogynists. Realizing this descriptor doesn't narrow things down, I'm talking about Call of Duty, and on top of funding some of the worst pieces of poo poo humanity has yet to offer, it takes up a lot of space. In fact, to install "everything" on a Series X (basically so every menu option in the current CoD does what it says, and also has the HD graphics), you're looking at 433.3 gigs, of which 203.4 gigs has to be on fast storage. Now let's break it down.

2019's Modern Warfare got a whole client do-over because what actually matters to Activision's bottom line is Warzone, so installing the game gives you Warzone and you can't actually remove the Warzone components. That baseline is already a beefy 96.5 gigs. The other components are the MW 2019 campaign at 26.2 gigs, the non-warzone standard multiplayer at 34.8 gigs, and Spec Ops at 37.3 gigs, with around 21.5 gigs shared between those modes in some fashion, so installing everything is "only" 173.3 gigs. But now if you're outputting at 1440p or higher you might want the HD Texture packs too, which total 56.6 gigs for the five packs currently available (I'm not sure if this is beneficial for Series S users or not).

2020's Call of Duty Reagan is a bit weird since the install sizes are wildly different at least between Xbox One classes of consoles and the Xbox Series X (and the Series S is probably a third layout but I don't know its details). The "base game" which I don't think lets you do anything by itself and is just a menu is 52 gigs on XB1 and 49 gigs on Series X, however the content packs are larger on the latter: Campaign is 36.7 on XB1 and 56.8 gigs on Series X, Multiplayer's split is 25 and 45.2, Zombies is 9.1 and 18.9, and Dead Ops Arcade is 13.9. Further ballooning the Series X's install size are two HD Asset packages which also download: HD textures at 58.3 gigs (which doesn't appear to be offered on XB1X), and a Ray Tracing pack at 19 gigs.

I'll close this off by breaking down the disc version experience. So if you get the "cross gen" disc it is, as with all cross-gen discs, just the XB1 version on disc, however it also has the "cross-gen bundle" license on the disc so it'll trigger the Series X version's install, that 10 meg file is definitely worth the extra :10bux:. Now although it has the XB1 version's data on the disc you might be wondering how you get 127.9 gigs out of it, and the answer is via a 108.89 gig mandatory update, because I'm pretty sure the disc does nothing without said update, sorry Reaganites with no internet. Although 38.8 gigs of data lives on the disc, some of it got replaced with newer patches so only 18.97 gigs is pulled from the disc now. Series X users get to download the entirety of the 203.4 gigs, but you'll want to make sure the four "content pack" DLC packages on the disc get installed or the menu options won't work.

In short, Call of Duty is a successful franchise made by a diverse group of talented people and you should definitely only have it installed and nothing else, which the game helpfully helps you manage by leaving no space for anything else.

Speaking of, how would the PS5 handle updating this behemoth? Do you still need a bunch of extra free space?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My favorite dumb thing so far is how the Narrows Bridge looks like a massive dam if you fly perpendicular to it but normal if you are flying parallel to it. :wtc:

Also it was hilarious to take off and immediately see someone on my friends list also flying around roughly the same area.

E: holy poo poo the taxi lesson might be the most infuriating tutorial thing I have ever done, why is this the hardest loving thing in the game so far.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 28, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Speaking of, how would the PS5 handle updating this behemoth? Do you still need a bunch of extra free space?

For Warzone definitely. For Reagan…not sure actually, I think the PS5 can handle updating PS5 titles without the overhead.

Warzone is extra-spicy because the old packs still technically exist and are downloadable and can cause even more bloat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MW2019 Is also completely broken and activision refuse to acknowledge that some maps just do not load and various features have stopped working in the recent update.

I say recent update but the updates are only to warzone, now MW, yet still must be applied to my MW install.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Melbourne is as disappointing as feared in flight sim. Zero effort, very old data. Kinda expected a bit more for a city of 5+ million.

Downtown Vancouver where I'm originally from is perfect though. I guess it benefits from its proximity to Seattle.

Just 9/11'd my brother's condo and sent him a clip, which is basically mandatory as a goon I suppose.

https://vimeo.com/580123230

Edit: that's his exact unit on attempt no. 1, pretty proud of myself.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 28, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
On the series X I can’t get flight sim to actually do anything? like im in the menu’s and there’s no way to actually start playing the game. Tried deleting my local game data, rebooting the console, manually checking for updates via the OS.. Is there a way to check for pending downloads in-game?

I’ve tried all the game modes, and I can just ‘go back’ with b. Also when I use the right analog stick to scroll i can’t scroll back up.

This is all on top of the fact that the splash screen looks like a 1080p pic stretched to 4K, then i see a loving mouse cursor on the top left of the tv lmao

Edit - aaah the controls are just straight up busted. I think this is because I have save data in the cloud from my win10 sessions. I’m going into the control options but there’s no cursor and I cant highlight or select anything.

Alright back to my computer I guess!

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 28, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat deaths door
The end was kinda annoying but wutevah im done

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ZeeBoi posted:

I can’t wait to fly to my old neighbourhood once and then uninstall the game and never play it again

This is exactly what I did today. It’s cool but not for me. All it did was make me want a new Pilotwings game on Switch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is there a way to manual zoom on controller? I've figured out how to turn the autopilot on and use LB+dpad to shift around in my seat but I can't figure out a quick way to zoom in on something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been messing around with different places on the globe. They even have the middle of nowhere airport for me to take off from, its crazy.

Wish the maps were more recent, Shenzhen and china in general is wonky

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm glad it's on Game Pass, because I probably would've had buyer's remorse had I bought it. I've flown all around my area a couple times (which was really impressive) and tried out a few of the Discovery Flights and I think I'm done with it already.

Flying really high made me want to jump out of the plane and parachute to the ground like in GTA (was that San Andreas or GTAV that let you do that?). Kinda made me want to play some more GTA, though I'm sure as hell not playing through GTAV's trash story again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

I'm glad it's on Game Pass, because I probably would've had buyer's remorse had I bought it. I've flown all around my area a couple times (which was really impressive) and tried out a few of the Discovery Flights and I think I'm done with it already.

Flying really high made me want to jump out of the plane and parachute to the ground like in GTA (was that San Andreas or GTAV that let you do that?). Kinda made me want to play some more GTA, though I'm sure as hell not playing through GTAV's trash story again.

I installed GTA5 on gamepass not realising that the last time i played it was on 360 and thus dont have a completed save. I wanted to kind of just have a game to gently caress around in for a half hour or so on lunch breaks and stuff.

the opening mission with its weird lovely Rockstar control scheme made me immediately uninstall it. not playing through that rear end again.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Went downstairs this morning to see my six year old firing up a flight around Naples. He loves it - he's big into train simulators (he owns both versions of Train Sim World on Xbox and spends a lot of his birthday money on new trains and routes) but that's just because he's into trains so I didn't think he'd give a poo poo about MSFS.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Akuma posted:

Went downstairs this morning to see my six year old firing up a flight around Naples. He loves it - he's big into train simulators (he owns both versions of Train Sim World on Xbox and spends a lot of his birthday money on new trains and routes) but that's just because he's into trains so I didn't think he'd give a poo poo about MSFS.

I guess they both scratch that same itch. I have tried Train Sim World but couldn't figure out how to start my train so I uninstalled it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

I guess they both scratch that same itch. I have tried Train Sim World but couldn't figure out how to start my train so I uninstalled it.
It has a very good tutorial that walks you through everything but if you just go straight into an unguided journey it's completely inscrutable. A six year old has the patience to pull every lever and flick every doodad though, I guess.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Laserface posted:

I installed GTA5 on gamepass not realising that the last time i played it was on 360 and thus dont have a completed save. I wanted to kind of just have a game to gently caress around in for a half hour or so on lunch breaks and stuff.

the opening mission with its weird lovely Rockstar control scheme made me immediately uninstall it. not playing through that rear end again.

High five fellow 'uninstalled during the GTA5 tutorial' guy. I think control schemes for that kind of game have just come on too much, it's honestly baffling to me that so many people continue to play that game to this day. Good for them I guess. I beat it at launch but didn't want to hang around in it.

Edit: Check your inboxes for Halo beta invites! Got mine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a guide somewhere on how to get gamepass ultimate for $1 for completely stupid people?

i have a friend who bought a series S, terrible with computers, i do not want to be involved any more than sending a URL.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Does anyone know how to use Xbox Cloud Gaming through a browser? I'm in the UK if that is relevant.

I keep getting stuck going round in circles and ending up at a page that says 'Thank You For Your Interest' and shows me the list of countries that supports it, which includes mine. I never actually get to connect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Jables88 posted:

Does anyone know how to use Xbox Cloud Gaming through a browser? I'm in the UK if that is relevant.

I keep getting stuck going round in circles and ending up at a page that says 'Thank You For Your Interest' and shows me the list of countries that supports it, which includes mine. I never actually get to connect.

Do you have an Adblock turned on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Do you have an Adblock turned on?

No - I was on a VPN but disabling that didn't make a difference. I'm using Chrome on a Mac, but didn't get anywhere switching to Safari.
Should I try using Edge?