Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i hope we get Dead Presidents PnP wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely don't understand the logic of "a crazy dangerous psychopath is after me, best turn into a Hot Topic clown."

the pacemaker

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nick Gage isn't a psychopath, he actually cares about your feelings. Still wants to cut up a pussy tho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The clip of the set up for the Labours definitely makes it sound like MJF is match 5, but I assume he'll pull a bait and switch and want to whip Jericho like he did Cody or something instead.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what if the last labor is Sammy G, and the stip is that if Sammy G wins he gets a TNT title shot

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Short version is, Painmaker is his NJPW persona and his NJPW persona is that he's not tranquilo, he's fxxing crazy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what if he loses to cage tonight HUH

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what if he loses to cage tonight HUH

I mean, that'd be hard, as he's wrestling Nick Gage tomorrow, not Christian tonight.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

smarxist posted:

what if the last labor is Sammy G, and the stip is that if Sammy G wins he gets a TNT title shot

Sammy lays down anyway because he's a good friend

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think a "TNT Title shot" is really a big enough carrot to make that idea work. You need something that's a big enough deal so Sammy doesn't look kind of selfish standing in Jericho's way and fighting him after he's been through hell. It could if you told a story where Sammy is willing to lay down, Jericho is a dick about it and expects him to, and Sammy gets mad and wants to prove himself or something like that. But that's not the Jericho story they're/he's telling so I wouldn't expect it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

Short version is, Painmaker is his NJPW persona and his NJPW persona is that he's not tranquilo, he's fxxing crazy.

Presumably because he was around Hiromu & he'll drive everyone crazy!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

TV Zombie posted:

The last part with pnp and ftr has to be the main event because my goodness these four can make a compelling hype package

I'll be shocked if the 5v5 isnt the main

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Maybe an I Quit match between Sammy and Jericho, with the added stipulation that if Sammy loses, the Inner Circle disbands.

Jericho has to pick between The Inner Circle or his vengeance against MJF. I know it's kind of lame to go back to that well so early but it'd put a lot of emotion into the match for both Sammy and Jericho.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Procrastinator posted:

I'll be shocked if the 5v5 isnt the main

Mannnnn ,on any other night I think that this is a main event worthy match given the hype and talent involved

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think a "TNT Title shot" is really a big enough carrot to make that idea work. You need something that's a big enough deal so Sammy doesn't look kind of selfish standing in Jericho's way and fighting him after he's been through hell. It could if you told a story where Sammy is willing to lay down, Jericho is a dick about it and expects him to, and Sammy gets mad and wants to prove himself or something like that. But that's not the Jericho story they're/he's telling so I wouldn't expect it.

A shot at Omega/Page after All Out might make sense.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Maybe an I Quit match between Sammy and Jericho, with the added stipulation that if Sammy loses, the Inner Circle disbands.

Jericho has to pick between The Inner Circle or his vengeance against MJF. I know it's kind of lame to go back to that well so early but it'd put a lot of emotion into the match for both Sammy and Jericho.

How do you book out of that then, though?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jericho is gonna get beat down after he beats gage, but hangman is likely gonna be standing strong vs Kenny at the end of his match, and that’d send the crowd home happy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RealFoxy posted:

That's kind of weird because either way you're telling the story that Jericho puts himself over the Inner Circle. He's not really the face anymore at that stage, is he? I mean I guess you could tell something about him "letting them go" and them all moving on peacefully or something. But it feels contrived given they all just fought to stay together.

I dunno. I get the idea but it doesn't feel like its the story being told. Like I think to do that right you'd have to be telling the story that MJF manipulated Jericho once and he's doing it again, and Sammy wants him to just get over, see that MJF is playing his ego, and move on. You could tell that story. Have Sammy decide he needs to stop Jericho for his own good, or to prove to him that this has all been the fault of his ego. But Jericho's just kind of been playing avenging angel so they'd have to change tactics a bit. And it would feel a little selfish on Sammy's part since everyone else in the Inner Circle has been getting their chances for revenge.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 28, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's too bad they have the 5v5 which probably should be the main event, because it would seem that if you're Tony Khan and you know Nick Gage is on your show, you're gonna make that poo poo an unsanctioned Lights Out match right quick.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

TV Zombie posted:

The last part with pnp and ftr has to be the main event because my goodness these four can make a compelling hype package

I'm glad they showed the unedited promo between the four of them because oh my days Santana showing the photographs made me tear up, the pure emotion in his voice

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

flashy_mcflash posted:

How do you book out of that then, though?
Jericho becomes Judas and betrays the inner circle for a shot at revenge. AEW has learned from some of WCW's mistakes and one of WCW's biggest was keeping the NWO around for too long. The Inner Circle have been around for a long time, where can they go after beating The Pinnacle? Cycle them out and let Sammy go for the TNT title and PnP go for the tag titles.

Take Jericho off TV for a while, they don't need his drawing power anymore now that they've potentially got Punk/Danielson coming in.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
who the hell is fantasy booking sammy vs jericho right now

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is there a list of all the special edition dynamites that have taken place?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=8&nr=2287&page=4

In a round-about way. The company's pretty young so there's not a ton to go through, just look through the Dynamites that have titles after the episode number

e:

AEW #13: Homecoming
AEW #14: Anniversary Year 1
AEW #15: Bash at the Beach
AEW #39: Fyter Fest Night 1 2020
AEW #40: Fyter Fest Night 2 2020
AEW #41: Fight for the Fallen 2020
AEW #55: AEW Anniversary Year 2
AEW #62: Winter is Coming
AEW #65: Holliday Bash
AEW #66: A Celebration of Brodie Lee
AEW #67: New Year's Smash Night 1
AEW #68: New Year's Smash Night 2
AEW #71: Beach Break
AEW #75: The Cross Roads
AEW #77: St Patrick's Day Smash
AEW #84: Blood & Guts
AEW #93: Road Rager
AEW #94: Fyter Fest Night 1 2021
AEW #95: Fyter Fest Night 2 2021
AEW #96: Fight for the Fallen 2021
AEW #97: Homecoming 2021
AEW #104: Grand Slam

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 28, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Every Dynamite is a special edition.

Also Wikipedia had a list

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/BossMoz/status/1420164448661118979?s=20

i forgot about it lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1420164620141092865

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

i dont think you need to make the inner circle disband when mjf's final stipulation is almost certainly going to threaten jericho's career. i.e. if he loses he's fired or something like that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

:rip: J U L I A

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Procrastinator posted:

i dont think you need to make the inner circle disband when mjf's final stipulation is almost certainly going to threaten jericho's career. i.e. if he loses he's fired or something like that.

You absolutely don't. And its weird to make that a story thing so soon after Stadium Stampede. Its much more natural to just quietly have them all go in their own directions. They can still be friends and even watch their backs or team up. But they're no longer a roving gang willing to do anything to advance Jericho's agenda. They've all got their own poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

Depends on how literal you want MJF to get with the Trials of Hercules metaphor, because Hercules ended up killing his own family at some point and Jericho might too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can see MJF making Jericho put up his chance at any future title shots.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
for you heathenous non-Dark watchers, here's the moment of the night:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/595841839295365125/869727694500278322/9kHRASNurK.mp4

my eyes legit bugged out of my skull

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Put Dante and Fenix in a match. BBT would probably need to land a ref on the moon first to actually do the three count though.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

smarxist posted:

for you heathenous non-Dark watchers, here's the moment of the night:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/595841839295365125/869727694500278322/9kHRASNurK.mp4

my eyes legit bugged out of my skull

loving amazing

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
:toxx: fulfillment part 12! In one of my hopefully last explanations, I toxxed that the American Dragon, Bryan Danielson, one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, would appear in AEW three long months ago. Until he does, I'm watching episodes of American Dragon, Jake Long, c-list Disney Channel cartoon. If you're not interested, ctrl+f over to "We're done" to skip past and return to your usual AEW thread discussions.

~~~~

We've been hearing a lot about Bryan nowadays, but until I see him pop up on AEW, I'm going to be keeping my vigil. I've heard rumors he might show up 9/22, which is incredibly hype if so because I'll be there live. Wouldn't that be some crazy timing, too? Not that I'd mind if he shows up earlier, because some pretty lovely real life factors are really eating away at my energy for working on these and a reprieve would be real nice for all parties involved. But this isn't The Bee Angsts Over His Life, this is Episode 12, The Ski Trip.

I thought we were starting off with a dream sequence, where Jake and his crush Rose are all lovey-dovey and talking about which of the two a snowman resembles more. But, no. They're just flat-out dating at this point of the show, I guess. Its really jarring considering the last episode's hard reset to status quo, but that's what happens when you just throw episodes around out of order. Guess now we can finally peek at the character development Episodes 9 and 10 set up!

We're actually getting the cast question the series' dynamics, too. Jake's friends Spud and Trixie are asking if him and Rose are finally going to kiss already, and something tells me that Rose's secret identity as the Huntsmaster's apprentice won't hold up for long. Or will it? Jake's resolving to tell Rose that he's a dragon, and considering how the Huntsclan feels about dragons I can't see that ending well in the slightest. Nevertheless, its a pretty big sign of character growth. Jake from the earlier episodes would've either hid the secret for far too long or popped the reveal so he could show off to her. Instead, he's maturely evaluating the situation and making his choice in order to see if his relationship has any future. It's a surprise to see him take so many strides so soon in the series.

He might not have the chance to be alone with her, though. The school jock, Brad, is back from the first half of the series, and he keeps dragging Rose away to show her how "new and sensitive" he is. And when Brad isn't taking up her time, her duties as the Huntsgirl are. But, hey. That last part's nothing a quick fight scene can't solve, and surely without a single complication!

Nope. Complication, and a big one. The Huntsgirl dropped her ski pass, and while Jake has no clue it's Rose, now he and his friends are sure it's somebody from their school. On the bright side, now Spud and Trixie can do something more worthwhile with their time than try, and fail, at sitting on a ski lift. Dear god, that was one dire B-plot / gag reel.

Instead of that "gripping" drama, the chase is on to find the Huntsgirl's identity, and all parties involved are really, really bad at their roles. Jake's cartoonishly bad attempts at trapping her just lead to him tackling random people. Rose's attempts at training for her upcoming fight just lead to her acting really suspicious in public. Luckily for her, Jake's too lovestruck to suspect her and Spud's a total idiot, so Trixie's gonna have to cash in her role as the only sane woman on this show for a change. It doesn't quite work: Jake's got it bad, and he's way too distracted by Brad's attempts at hitting on Rose to pay attention to Trixie's warnings. Hell, he flat-out accused Trixie of being the Huntsgirl instead, before storming out into a blizzard to go looking for Rose. We're midway through the season, and Jake's walking right into a climactic showdown.

Said climactic showdown ends when the Huntsgirl drops a cage right on top of him. Note to self: if you're walking into a mid-season finale, make sure to have your head in the game!

Trixie and Spud may be a little burned up by Jake's mistrust, but they're also worried enough to go looking for Jake. Its a good thing, too, because while Jake was able to break out of the Huntsgirl's cage, he's got his hands full with a . . . snowboard race? Not how I expected this fight to go, but it's a pretty fun, unique setpiece as Jake and the Huntsgirl try to catch each other. Fortunately, despite all her guile, once they're off the boards Jake is able to get the upper hand, pinning her to a tree with some icicles so he can find her secret identity. Dismayed by the revelation, he can't fight back as she escapes, letting out a defiant warcry-

And triggering an avalanche in the process. Unable to bear Rose getting hurt, Jake saves her, much to her incredible confusion. She takes advantage of his hesitation to make one last attack, but not before Trixie and Spud arrive on a ski lift. I honestly can't believe they gave that little plot beat resolution, but their timely arrival disrupts Rose just enough to leave her retreating instead. The day is won, though in Jake's eyes it couldn't be more of a loss. When Rose shows up the next day, he can only sullenly turn her away, bringing both our episode and this relationship to a close. After one last joke about Spud and the ski lift. Seriously, you wouldn't believe how recurring of a bit that was.

Usually a show drags a plot beat out like this way longer, so I'm actually surprised the expected kid's show will-they won't-they was handled in a single 12-episode arc. That's lightning fast by the standards you'd expect, especially on Disney! Maybe those 60-or-so episode limits they put on their shows pay off after all. Most of the episode was a pretty middling pile of physical comedy and running gags, but when the character development hits, it actually makes its mark a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I think that's almost a point against the show's favor rather than for it. It has the confused identity a lot of shows around this period had, and seems afraid of leaving any scene or plot beat without cracking a few jokes in its wake. Nowadays shows are a lot more tonally consistent, and blend the comedy in without it being jarring, but even the better episodes of this show tend to pause to jingle some keys at the audience before moving on. That said, while there's certainly a lot of rough here, there's a kernel of diamond in the rough that's at least made this an entertaining ride. Maybe with all of the big revelations the show's been dropping, it'll have a bit more confidence in its writing material and leave some of the jingly keys behind. Or maybe it'll double down. The show's been uneven enough that it can honestly go either way.

~~~~

We're done! And so is The Elite, because I get the feeling the Dark Order's taking them to the cleaners tomorrow. If the chickens they've pissed off don't start coming to roost soon, I'll honestly be shocked.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
This kinda popped into my head.

If you could have any 5 AEW wrestlers appear on a season of Taskmaster, who would it be?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

that spot always kicks rear end. made me pissed all over again that the fed ruined ricochet

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

RealFoxy posted:

Depends on how literal you want MJF to get with the Trials of Hercules metaphor, because Hercules ended up killing his own family at some point and Jericho might too

you know, this is a really neat point, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

This kinda popped into my head.

If you could have any 5 AEW wrestlers appear on a season of Taskmaster, who would it be?

Kenny Omega
Leva Bates
Cody Rhodes
Evil Uno
Nyla Rose