Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Jeopardy is on NBC for me, so I don't get a new episode until August 9 :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What was wrong with the first attempt at "Noriega"? I didn't notice a buzzer and couldn't tell if there was an extra syllable or something.

I thought he was just late.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I hate all of these contestants!!!!! Is that woman wearing pajamas?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lol, that's the new worst score of all time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well today had a bad performance for the ages.

It was quite impressive.

He got out of the hole at the start of Double Jeopardy, then proceeded to lose roughly $8,000. In a single round.

Previous low was -$6,800.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought he was just late.

He was. Burton clarified it during the contestant interviews.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
me watching tonight after hearing it's an episode for the ages

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stray thoughts:

I really like the current champ for some reason. He seemed off tonight

Burton was... very animated. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect since I've never watched him host anything. He had a couple weird situations thrown at him on his first game. The Noriega question was awkward as hell.

Contestant #3 seemed knowledgeable but good god watch how slow she pushed her buzzer. It was like 2 presses/second.

LOL at middle guy doing worse than Wolf Blitzer.

Final was SUPER easy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPColin posted:

Jeopardy is on NBC for me, so I don't get a new episode until August 9 :argh:

I had the same issue, but they ended up putting it on their digital subchannel.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
What was with that weird clue suggesting a ground squirrel that only lives in Canada, and the answer was marmot, which most certainly are not unique to Canada?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Cyril Sneer posted:

What was with that weird clue suggesting a ground squirrel that only lives in Canada, and the answer was marmot, which most certainly are not unique to Canada?

I think there's a particular species native to Canada?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I told you all records would be set when Levar Burton would host jeopardy !

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Duckman2008 posted:

I told you all records would be set when Levar Burton would host jeopardy !
Matt Amodio will close out the week by killing and eating all of the contestants in the green room

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really wanted to like Burton but just....did not. I don't think he was good at all. Hope he improves by the end of the week but yeesh.

Champ is really good and reminds me of somebody but I can't place it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

packetmantis posted:

Lol, that's the new worst score of all time.

It's crazy because the guy clearly had his buzzer timing down, but was just coming up blank. Maybe he was star-struck by LeVar?

Definitely a weird episode though, will be nice to hopefully see LeVar in a more normal game tomorrow.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I think given that his first episode was full of weird poo poo like a contestant blurting out an answer so late it was after the next contestant rang in, he did perfectly fine. His cadence with reading the clues was actually pretty reminiscent of Alex. The only real criticism I had was that he had a few pauses in ruling clues correct, but that was true of most of the guest hosts and universally improved with experience over the week so I'm sure he'll tighten that up.

The interview stories were also mostly awful and gave him nothing to work with. "I climbed down two buildings. Yeah that's the whole story."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My dad just texted me and said that Burton was too robotic and that he should try to be more warm… like Mike Richards

:psyduck:

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

christmas boots posted:

My dad just texted me and said that Burton was too robotic and that he should try to be more warm… like Mike Richards

:psyduck:

I am sorry to report that your father has been compromised as part of an astroturf campaign.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eh Burton was ok. He was kinda all over the place. Sometimes he sounded too excited in his replies and other times too flat. I didn't have any rush of nostalgia seeing him or anything...it was just kinda like...ok its another host. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The interview stories were also mostly awful and gave him nothing to work with. "I climbed down two buildings. Yeah that's the whole story."

:lol:

I like how it was set up as she "scaled a building twice," making it sound like she climbed up the same building two times.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

I like how it was set up as she "scaled a building twice," making it sound like she climbed up the same building two times.

I think that's how it was on his card, too, because you could see him pause a moment trying to make something of it when it turned out that story was way less interesting than anticipated.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I wasn't listening but wasn't one of the other stories "I watched Jeopardy every night as a kid!"

just like every other person who makes it on the stage, you mean?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

zakharov posted:

I wasn't listening but wasn't one of the other stories "I watched Jeopardy every night as a kid!"

just like every other person who makes it on the stage, you mean?

Ahh, but you see, it was the only thing that trumped the baseball game!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jeopardy somehow will never understand that 99% of its guests just aren't interesting and will continue to do these dumb interview segments.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

banned from Starbucks posted:

Jeopardy somehow will never understand that 99% of its guests just aren't interesting and will continue to do these dumb interview segments.

Sometimes they help reveal the hero or villain of the day, though. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like you need the awkward interview piece of the show to get a sense of each contestant's personality.... so you can decide who you're rooting for/against.

These jep stories were especially bad, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Haven't watched one in decades at this point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/micaburton/status/1419853034058784770?s=21

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

My family refers to that part of the episode as the "Pathetic Lives" part

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Infidel Castro posted:

My family refers to that part of the episode as the "Pathetic Lives" part

absolutely brutal and accurate

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You never truly understand how uninteresting you are until Jeopardy asks you to tell five interesting stories about your life for the audition.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had three that were passably not the dumbest poo poo ever and then it went downhill REAL fast

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I've been watching Jeopardy on DVR for 15 years, and it's wonderful to be able to fast forward through all the bull poo poo.

The interviews made me cringe, so I skipped them. I also used to skip parts that I knew would be humiliating for the contestants, because they would force me to experience sympathetic embarrassment for them. I now have a pretty well-honed sense of when the judges are going to reverse an on-stage decision because of this.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It's still not very clear to me why or when cascading score changes are made. Like this guy answered wrong, but it was later ruled to be correct, so he gets $4000, but you answered after him, and that never would have happened if he had responded correctly, so we are taking $2000 from you.

situations like that always piss me off

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This champion is a complete lunatic holy poo poo. WHAT'S CROSS. WHAT'S TEARS. WHAT'S BAHAMAS.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

You never truly understand how uninteresting you are until Jeopardy asks you to tell five interesting stories about your life for the audition.

I went into mine going, "gently caress yeah I have some good stories." Three anecdotes in it shifted to, "What the gently caress have I actually done in my life...."

The awkwardness of trying to fill more and more interviews is the only reason why the universe would allow me to go on a winning streak.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The stories are absolutely the hardest part of the application. I have a few not-very-interesting ones, but 5 is a lot, and you can't include your actual interesting or surprising ones because they aren't G-rated.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

They didn’t even pull all 3 of my stories on the card given to Alex from the 5 I had written down, they got one of the prompts from the questionnaire included after my list of prompts. I guess the things that I thought were interesting, weren’t, but I thought they were better than some of the stories used lately.

And I got to (inadvertently) insult my cousin (now in the Air Force) on national TV, so there’s that. If I had made a second appearance, I was gonna shout out my fellow Crew Members from working NYCC for 3 years (10 years now), but alas.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I don't hate this guy but I'm getting a bit bored with him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HookShot posted:

Back in the day where you were drawn at random to do the Jeopardy test on paper - mine was at a nice hotel in downtown Atlanta - they went ahead and had your fill out a paper with your five tidbits.

I struggled then and sure haven't gotten more interesting since. At this point, I probably just need to make something up. Tell 'em I hope I win enough money to teach my cat to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m behind as hell watching the final Robin Roberts episode and two observations: Champion Matt doesn’t use articles, just “What’s <answer>?” and isn’t this the second Lizzy Borden question in the last month?
I’m learning weird American history as rote from the show!