Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I respectfully disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nah, I support what the IntSys dev said in the interview: that if they made a golden route, they believed it very likely that players would feel compelled to play it as the 'best' route and it would defeat the intended point of all four routes being equally valid.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is one route that allows you to actually make decisions that affect how the story plays out, beyond which characters you recruit and which paralogues you play.

On it, the only characters who have to die who can live on other routes are Rhea, Dimitri and Dedue. Rhea, gently caress her, she deserves it. Dimitri and Dedue at least are saved from the whole "imprisoned by Cornelia" plot and get to live out the timeskip years in relative harmony and choose to devote themselves to the cause without further trauma. It's not the worst fate. You're probably gonna have to kill Catherine, Gilbert, Hilda and Cyril as well, and again, Catherine and Gilbert are lovely people who made an active choice to uphold the status quo. Hilda made a choice to lay her life on the line that even Claude wasn't expecting. Cyril is the only real victim here, and he's ultimately a victim of Rhea.

You also get a choice to kill Claude or let him abscond to Almyra to support future diplomatic ties with Fódlan, whether Seteth and Flayn live or die, and whether Dimitri dies at peace or spitting defiance with his last breath. You can give every other lord a happy-ish ending if you want to. Every other route makes you gently caress over someone and kill Edelgard (who did nothing wrong).

Also, it is the route where Edelgard wins, nobility is abolished, and someone who actually knows about the Agarthans makes a concerted effort to wipe them out, instead just learning about them, making a blind run at Thales/Shambhala and deciding that's probably a wrap. Or not even that, on Blue Lions.

Through whatever combination of those choices you prefer, it is a far more "golden" route than any of the alternatives.

E: I guess there's also Cornelia, Rodrigue and Judith, who I'm not sure play a role on every route. One of those is an unfortunate casualty, I will admit. But it's also the only route where Jeritza, Hubert and Edelgard live.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 27, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RevolverDivider posted:

One of the best elements of 3H is there is no golden route
Pretty much.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Wark Say posted:

Has the anime cautionary tale/underrated masterpiece "Endless Eight" taught you nothing? Time loops only make things worse, not better.

unironically love the endless eight

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
a timeloop until everyone admits that Edelgard did nothing wrong and Hubert is the best boy

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Tired Moritz posted:

a timeloop until everyone admits that Edelgard did nothing wrong and Hubert is the best boy

you're already posting in that thread friendo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clawtopsy posted:

you're already posting in that thread friendo

Not quite. :v:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I get people who say that Crimson Flower's last map is the perfect ending for Edelgard and Byleth's character arcs, but I still think what that route really needs is a bonus "epilogue" mission, maybe set a year or two after the ending with appropriate level/stat boosts to your units, to let you and the BESF go on a victory lap through Shambhala (without the Sword of the Creator or Divine Pulse for an added challenge) so that I can give Edelgard the satisfaction of personally cleaving Thales in twain canonically instead of having to write fanfiction about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tired Moritz posted:

I won't, I'm glad I killed her and had Byleth do it personally

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The main problem with Edelgard is she only turns into a badass monster in the Azure moon route and not when she's playable. Also, the main problem with Dimitri and Claude is that they NEVER turn into badass monsters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

unironically love the endless eight
I have my gripes with the final execution of the overall thing, but it was an incredible flex by a Director/Studio with all the loving confidence in their skills to pull it off and, dare I say, they absolutely did.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The main problem with Edelgard is she only turns into a badass monster in the Azure moon route and not when she's playable. Also, the main problem with Dimitri and Claude is that they NEVER turn into badass monsters.

Agreed, I want to marry Hegemon Edelgard

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well Manicured Man posted:

Agreed, I want to marry Hegemon Edelgard

Big same.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
emphasis on the big I guess

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a consensus on how to make Lorenz good? Like he's always been just... there. None of his growths are outright bad, but they're too spread out, his spell list is pretty meh for a mage, and the only real niches I can see are Dark Bishop, Thyrsus, and being slightly more durable than the average mage (which his meh speed growth neuters out anyway).

I don't even think he's objectively the worst character, but it's just that he can't carve out a useful niche even in his native House. You already have two solid mages, and Ignatz has a more interesting spell list if you wanted a third. Cavaliers are just not great in 3H and you already have Claude and Leonie as mobile attackers. He could work as a Dancer, I guess?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there a consensus on how to make Lorenz good? Like he's always been just... there. None of his growths are outright bad, but they're too spread out, his spell list is pretty meh for a mage, and the only real niches I can see are Dark Bishop, Thyrsus, and being slightly more durable than the average mage (which his meh speed growth neuters out anyway).

I don't even think he's objectively the worst character, but it's just that he can't carve out a useful niche even in his native House. You already have two solid mages, and Ignatz has a more interesting spell list if you wanted a third. Cavaliers are just not great in 3H and you already have Claude and Leonie as mobile attackers. He could work as a Dancer, I guess?

Dancer is good.

I've also had good results with him as an archer. Claude, Ignatz, and Leonie all have other things they can do, and Lorenz has better STR, better defenses, and MUCH better HP than Ignatz/Ashe/Bernie. No bow strength, but lance and riding strengths help him towards bow knight, the bigger issue is that he doesn't get any personal bow arts just the generic ones. With his Crest, he can also borrow Failnaught safely if you have Claude doing something else.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Lorenz is pretty bad but you can make anyone work below Maddening. On Maddening he’s absolutely awful unless you get lucky and only really can contribute as a dancer or a Thrysus

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I took Lorenz down the mage, dark bishop, dark knight route in my maddening new game playthrough, and he’s been perfectly usable. His strength is a bit lower than his magic, but he’s easily able to hit enemies with whichever defensive stat they have the lowest as a dark knight. He’s not my best unit (which have become Byleth, Claude, and surprisingly, Raphael), but he always earns a deployment spot. I may have lucked out with growths somewhat, but he’s turned out quite well.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/sunkyoukuchi/status/1418579793688207362?s=19

https://twitter.com/denimcatfish/status/1419760854837325830?s=19

https://twitter.com/dkenpisu_0122/status/1419663128057421827?s=21

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ApplesandOranges posted:

Granted I last really used him on normal in my initial run, but I had him as Dark Knight and I thought that worked well for him. He had very high def and res so he rarely took damage and was good enough to swap between spear and magic.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I did Mage -> Dark Knight in my GD playthrough but also I play on Normal.

He wasn’t amazing but he was useful enough. Was really good in midgame and then fell off at the end next to Dark Flier Marianne, really.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, Dimitri does

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Dimitri turns into the greatest monster of them all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, Dimitri does

Worst comes to worst you can do the wrath/vantage combo. :v:

Actually, given what he gets up to, I'm surprised they didn't make him a brawler lord. Imagine Araedbhar as a pair of relic gauntlets.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, Dimitri does

I mean sure internally, but I would have preferred an external transformation where he gets horns and fangs and maybe a scorpion tail and bat wings. I wanna see that man go full beast in the literal sense, not just figuratively.

I knew exactly what this was going to be before I even clicked on it, but it was still hilarious.

Best line of the series in a series that's full of fantastic lines.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
When I finish my SS run I'm going back to GD and I promise I'll use Lorenz. Honest.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

eating only apples posted:

When I finish my SS run I'm going back to GD and I promise I'll use Lorenz. Honest.

Make sure you get him the Arrow of Indra.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm convinced Lorenz is the best armor/great knight because he mixes having almost as much defense as Edelgard with excellent HP and resistance. I've never actually tested this because it involves using both Lorenz and an armor knight.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
My first Lorenz went horsie line and had stupdendous DEF and HP until timeskip and he fell off the cliff faster than loving Ignatz.

My second Lorenx went Wyvern Lord and only being in the siege-support team remotely salvaged him.

My third Lorenz was a Bishop and had less SPD than a Great Knight Sylvain.

My fourth Lorenz is going through every single class with the highest growths possible and he's still turning out middling. Which is a great success.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zoran posted:

I promise he can have it if he survives long enough to get it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

literally the only way to get arrow of indra on verdant wind is if someone sets it as their traveler item and you happen to find them, so that might be a bit of a task

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Not true! VW has one available from a chest without any use of online functions required.

Unfortunately that chest is about halfway through the final map.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ah, i see why i didn't know about it lol

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I found Lorenz to be useful on my GD maddening plathrough.

He doesn't have the raw power to one shot enemies like some other people on the GD roster do, but he's really consistent. His spells have good hit rates, and he can take some hits, so he's useful for setting up other characters for kills, even if he doesn't always get them himself. He's actually a good candidate for equipping the poison strike skill for that reason. He also had recover, so I feel like he more filled the role of a utility character in my run.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inu posted:

I found Lorenz to be useful on my GD maddening plathrough.

He doesn't have the raw power to one shot enemies like some other people on the GD roster do, but he's really consistent. His spells have good hit rates, and he can take some hits, so he's useful for setting up other characters for kills, even if he doesn't always get them himself. He's actually a good candidate for equipping the poison strike skill for that reason. He also had recover, so I feel like he more filled the role of a utility character in my run.

The problem with characters like that is that their exp rate is slower since they're not actually killing, so as time goes on they're just gonna fall further behind and more likely to be in real danger when softening up said targets.

Now if he could learn Windsweep...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's not really a problem unless you feel like investing in a character that's not going to be in your endgame team is inherently pointless (which it obviously isn't)

Since you will have lorenz in every vw playthrough and also any time you want thursys, might as well make use of him while he's useful

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't use Lorenz because he has stupid hair. That's my entire reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do use Lorenz because he has stupid hair.