Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I started playing Rust again after not having played since like launch. It became a pretty cool game at some point. I think there's a lot of good approaches here. Things like having safe zones with NPC stores could go a long way in a lot of other survival games. I guess there's one of those in Valheim but the Rust economy seems more useful and varied. I guess I had written the game off as "The first (and probably worst) one" of a genre I liked after dicking around with the beta.

rust has safe zones with npc stores??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Rutibex posted:

There are no zombies in Empyrion, just gross space bugs!

I would consider the Abominations zombies.

I might fire up Empyrion again now that Reforged Eden is updated. The dead world start is a pretty fun salvage/survive mode. It also largely skips some of the early game mining nerfs Reforged Galaxy insisted on adding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh gods I loving hate those bastards! Im minding my own buisness digging a hole to get at some delicious ores, then suddenly hellspiders are eating my face.
I also recommend Arid, its a pretty good survival game with zero fantastical elements and takes place in a actual real life location.
Its the first game Ive played with a pretty good sun exposure system, but no craftable hat for some reason. You can use mud as an impromptu sunblock though.
How does it compare to, say, "The Long Dark but in a desert"?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I like it better, its got zero weirdly hostile animals and no item degredation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DreadUnknown posted:

And it's free? How much content is there?
E: Oh my god nevermind. I haven't had a game run this badly in years. Even on all lowest settings the framerate tanks randomly to very obnoxious levels. That's really weird. Guess I'll leave it be and see if it ever gets optimized.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 27, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

DreadUnknown posted:

some of the best stories in the long dark are wolf related

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Verviticus posted:

rust has safe zones with npc stores??

I might just be playing on heavily modded servers, but the ones I've played on so far had like... a horse ranch and a place you could buy boats in exchange for scrap. They were like, protected by turret guns.

Edit: Yeah I checked, this is apparently some base game stuff. Honestly, it's something I've wanted to see in a survival game for a while. The main problem that online survival games usually have is that there's no reason not to be insanely hostile to every person you meet immediately. There needs to be something to counterbalance the lawless wilderness with or it's just boring.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 28, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I discovered that if I put UrW in fullscreen, I can zoom out with my middle mouse button and having a pretty big 1440p screen it's perfectly playable and actually looks more "high res" :aaa:

Now I can see things from farther away and chasing down animals is easier than ever. Bagged a forest reindeer with just a couple arrows and a quick stab to the skull with a javelin and now I have food, clothes and a few leftover stuff for bartering :dance: I still need a pot, a couple more axe types and a fine/masterwork spear of some sort and I'll be ready to actually switch out of the "oh crap let's scramble to get the basics down" (which is lasting more than usual with the new fishing changes)

Game's still as addictive now, almost 20 years (I started playing around version 2.6-2.8 can't remember exactly, between 2001 and 2004 :gonk: ) after I first played it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

We talked about SCUM earlier and incidentally it just got a major patch and moved to 0.6 version:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/513710/view/5526463837502570202

So it's a great time to get in! It's taking a step in the more realistic direction with the metabolism system, medical rework and so much other stuff they couldn't fit the patch notes on Steam on one go!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

TeaJay posted:

We talked about SCUM earlier and incidentally it just got a major patch and moved to 0.6 version:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/513710/view/5526463837502570202

So it's a great time to get in! It's taking a step in the more realistic direction with the metabolism system, medical rework and so much other stuff they couldn't fit the patch notes on Steam on one go!

I was just coming to post this, because I think someone here was waiting for the medical and metabolism reworks (besides me, obviously). They also added motorcycles (but not bicycles), a couple new PoIs, and a new town (all on the Z island).

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Vib Rib posted:

And it's free? How much content is there?
E: Oh my god nevermind. I haven't had a game run this badly in years. Even on all lowest settings the framerate tanks randomly to very obnoxious levels. That's really weird. Guess I'll leave it be and see if it ever gets optimized.

Huh thats weird, I guess not super surprising given its a student project.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Vintage Story let me down, a little. It's one of those games that likes tedium for the sake of tedium. Plus, the biomes are really, really big, so if I need to grab something biome specific, it can be a huge trek. I'm going to put it on the backburner and see where it goes in the future.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

I might just be playing on heavily modded servers, but the ones I've played on so far had like... a horse ranch and a place you could buy boats in exchange for scrap. They were like, protected by turret guns.

Edit: Yeah I checked, this is apparently some base game stuff. Honestly, it's something I've wanted to see in a survival game for a while. The main problem that online survival games usually have is that there's no reason not to be insanely hostile to every person you meet immediately. There needs to be something to counterbalance the lawless wilderness with or it's just boring.

i could buy that argument (though i dont agree) but i think the game should provide tools for the players to make that a possibility rather than just be a thing the game hard-enforces with ultra turrets or a damage-free zone or something

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It may not have hunger meters in the traditional sense but you still have to do base building and food gathering regularly in Chernobylite. So I guess it belongs in this thread too. It's *pretty loving good*. I missed out on the original Stalker games when they were hot but this is apparently like that minus most of the jank.

The protagonist Igor knows how to shoot but isn't a hardened killer, murdering an enemy in cold blood drains his mental health (easily restored with a good stew or a bottle of alcohol, hey). He has to learn silent, nonlethal takedowns from another guy so he can stealth without feeling bad about it. Hot-blooded kills in a self-defense firefight don't seem to drain his mental meter though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Verviticus posted:

i could buy that argument (though i dont agree) but i think the game should provide tools for the players to make that a possibility rather than just be a thing the game hard-enforces with ultra turrets or a damage-free zone or something

Yeah I've played on Ark servers where the players had set up like, safe zones and stores and a thriving currency in the form of implants. It was fine but still ultimately useless in the face of one guy who wanted to farm C4 and blow it all up when no one is looking.

I mean, the experience of no limits PVP is always going to be exactly the same with nothing to change it. I've played that. It was fun for a while (when you're in a big group). I'm not really interested in doing that again and/or don't have the time or giant clan of goons to make it fun.

I've been playing on some modded Rust servers too and I think one other neat thing I've found is servers with kit spawning. Like, you can /kit to grab a couple different packs of items. You can get building materials once a day, a set of primitive armor/bow and arrow once an hour, etc. Again, not going to break anyone's game, but absolutely a great way to smooth out the start of the game and eliminate the punching trees with my dick out phase of the game.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Qubee posted:

Vintage Story let me down, a little. It's one of those games that likes tedium for the sake of tedium. Plus, the biomes are really, really big, so if I need to grab something biome specific, it can be a huge trek. I'm going to put it on the backburner and see where it goes in the future.

I can't really play any kind of survival game without a teleport system / mod for this reason. I don't mind having to travel and explore once to find things, but it's just tedious after that when you have to waste time running back and forth between places. It just makes me not want to bother.

Looks like there's some kind of translocator in VS, and a mod to make it craftable in survival, so maybe that could help.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think by default in VS you have to find and activate pre-existing teleporters that spawn in the world, like waypoints, but I never played far enough to find one.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I got to the point in VS where i just shrugged my shoulders and started using the /tp command to teleport around. The default world size is definitely way too large.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I like VS a lot and didn't have trouble with travel times, but I set the biome generation to "patchy" (or something like that) in my world generation, so I had more random biomes sprinkled around rather than having them more striated, so maybe that helped. I liked having to prepare for a multi-day trip from time to time to get certain materials, that didn't bother me.

The real downside for me was how grindy it got in the upper tiers. Even getting basic iron production going was something of a chore, but at least do-able and fairly rewarding. Steel? Forget about it, and definitely don't try it solo unless you're ready to just shut off your brain and mine forever while listening to podcasts:

quote:

For one cementation furnace, the player would need:

6 iron plates = 12 iron ingots
8 whole granite or andesite blocks
920 fireclay, which is about 15 stacks
59 mortar
460 of each powdered ingredient needed, depending on tier, which is about 8 stacks each

Also, food is a major concern at the start and then once you get a clay cooking pot and a few farm fields going and build a cellar, it's basically never an issue again.

I haven't tried it since the latest patch, I guess there is some new farming stuff, but I got iron production up, got about halfway through making steel, had more food stocked than I could ever eat, and basically felt like I beat the game and never came back to it. It's the same issue I have with games like Minecraft. Once I get all the survival stuff under control and have basic buildings in place and decent gear, I never really have the creative drive to want to build something fancy and pretty. Still, I had fun with it and I imagine I'll revisit it at some point if there are major additions.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

I haven't tried it since the latest patch, I guess there is some new farming stuff, but I got iron production up, got about halfway through making steel, had more food stocked than I could ever eat, and basically felt like I beat the game and never came back to it. It's the same issue I have with games like Minecraft. Once I get all the survival stuff under control and have basic buildings in place and decent gear, I never really have the creative drive to want to build something fancy and pretty. Still, I had fun with it and I imagine I'll revisit it at some point if there are major additions.

How many hours did it take to get to that point? That seems like every survival game to me. They all have that reverse difficulty curve where the beginning is the hardest part but they get trivially easy later on. Once I get my zombie fort built in Project Zomboid and I have all the tools like saws and axes and a farm going, I can survive indefinitely and I've won the game. Or once I've built a cabin in Unreal World, got the full set of tools and axes and a cellar crammed full of food, I've won there as well. At that point you get bored and come up with challenges like clearing out the shopping mall in Zomboid or raiding Njerpez territory in URW. Or doing increasingly difficult starts, like the runaway slave start in URW. In Minecraft I tried building my own walled village and started collecting all the villager types.

I've been judging these games based on how long it takes me to get to the point where I feel like I've won and I'm bored. I've played Zomboid a lot and revisited it over the years with all the updates, and it was only like $10 or $15 when I bought it, so I'd say it was worth it. I've played URW for a long time and I still haven't touched some parts of the game yet, like agriculture.

I just tried Vintage Story for the first time yesterday and I'm liking it so far even though I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I spawned in a big volcanic area and I've just been wandering around looking at things, building little camps and fighting off those drifter things. There are such a huge number of things and it seems complicated enough that it will hopefully take me a long time to get bored with it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It took awhile my first time. I ended up restarting because I switched computers and it was a lot quicker once I knew what I was doing. Still, getting to the iron age was a process and there's lot of optional stuff you can do like beekeeping and animal husbandry. I want to say I was at least 20-30 hours in before I got to where I felt like I had nothing left to do but try for steel or build a fancy house. I still feel like the game was worth the money I paid for it, and I will come back to it at some point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How does one make a survival game with a proper difficulty curve? I was thinking, for a while, that The Long Dark and its dwindling resources and dropping temps might be the solution, but honestly even with that in mind you're most likely to die on day one and after you've gotten tools, weapons, good clothing, and stockpiles set up, you're good to handle even those dangers. Sure, one bad day could still ruin your whole run, but you're more likely to survive if that day comes later rather than earlier.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

things like wolves and blizzards are way more dangerous once you're in the mid game setting out for longer journeys to climb timberwolf, hunt a moose or make arrows/knife/hatchet

if long dark had more appropriately balanced zones that were actually harder that you needed to traverse to get another tech tier then it could qualify

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
is there a thread for eco? i looked and couldn't find one. the wiki's pretty outdated

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For CDDA don't know if it ever got fully implemented, I definitely added it to the design docs and did some of the foundational work but I haven't played it in a while, there was always the intent to be able to "retire" a character, at which point you could start a new character and have a chance of encountering the old one as a being out in the world.

I'd honestly like to see more of that sort of thing, where you can actually declare the game won for a certain character and move on. Would be cool to tie that into some sort of metaprogression as well, honestly - retiring a certain kind of character that achieved certain things could unlock new starting scenarios and starting options and just general cheevos, but you've got to balance obtaining one objective and retiring vs. trying for more and riskier ones with your now pretty stable character but risk dying before retiring.

I don't know, maybe there's a game out there where it happens. I obviously never implemented the fully fleshed out feature. Maybe I should go back and do that as my winter project this year, if it sounds like the sort of thing people would enjoy in Cataclysm?

Also, one form of "retiring" was supposed to take the form of entering one of the invading dimensions and taking the fight to them in a suicidal last stand sort of way, and doing well enough might have some benefits back on earth like closing portals or weakening all goo critters or unlocking a special antifungal as a crafting ingredient based on a new triffid associated plant out in the world or something.

Ah, dreams.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 1, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't know, maybe there's a game out there where it happens. I obviously never implemented the fully fleshed out feature. Maybe I should go back and do that as my winter project this year, if it sounds like the sort of thing people would enjoy in Cataclysm?

I just started playing the game literally a week ago, but this sounds excellent, and is something I've been thinking about as I play and played around with different characters on the same/different worlds. Encountering an old character would always be a big story beat--especially if you hit the endgame with them--since it's either a very cool moment or a very dangerous one.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I just wanted to thank everyone who has mentioned Unreal World in this thread, after reading a bit about it and watching some let's plays I ended up buying it on Steam on Friday and have spent about 2/3 of my waking hours since then playing it. Good stuff. I've had a few runs that failed while I was figuring out how things worked, currently I have a reasonably stable run nearing the end of summer - started in "summer" season so technically a week or two earlier in Spring.

After a few trial runs, I ended up settling on a survivalist character with some fishing, tracking, carpentry, spear, and bow skills. I figured I can lean on the fishing to survive at the start, work towards hunting/trapping as a long-term goal, and build myself a house in the meantime hopefully before winter sets in. I did the start scenario where you're on a hunting trip with your dad so I got some extra gear, and whatever animal we were hunting had run off, so I spent the beginning just figuring out where the nearby villages were and then finding a decent area on the border of my cultural region to set up shop.

Found myself a nice little lake between some forests and some fields and started building a hut and surviving. It was going pretty well, but slow, since I had started with two handaxes which are not the most efficient for any woodwork (to sell stuff) nor for actually building a cabin. I made a trip out to the nearby villages to see what I can sell - I had built some leaky bowls and torches - and managed to exchange those for some rope which I know I will need eventually. Sadly they didn't have any upgraded tools for me, I explored the area a bit looking for other villages but I'm kind of near the corner of my cultural region so until I have a decent stockpile of trade goods I'm not going to make any farther journies.

During one of my trips back, I saw that a bear had started hanging out near my base. I managed to sneak back to my base where I found bear tracks basically around my shelter and along the edge of the lake, I guess the bears were also looking for fish to eat but a bit too close. A few days were pretty worrying - I would wake up in the morning with fresh bear tracks just a few tiles from my shelter, and during the day could hear bear snorts nearby, so I switched from building my house to throwing a fence up around my house and out to the lake. A few times while building the fence a bear would come snooping so I had to hide and run away just in case, but in the end I managed to finish my fence and even dug 3 trap-pits in holes in the fence to see what I catch. Pretty much a day after getting my pits trapped I heard a roar during the night and a bear had fallen into the pit and couldn't get out. I threw 4 javelins at it (and hit with 3!) and then threw a bunch of rocks at it but the bear was still alive. I was pretty worn out and slept through the night with a pretty messed-up bear stuck in my trap pit, made 3 more javelins the next day, and managed to kill the bear. Skinned and butchered it, cooked up all 150 bear meat cuts that I got from that along with tanning the hide, really one of the most satisfying moments I've had in the game. Trekked most of the meat over to the nearby village to trade for more rope and a fishing net (which I still haven't used) along with some longer-lasting dried and smoked meats.

With my immediate food needs sorted out I was able to continue building my house, it is super slow going and I'm around 2/3 done the wall, but I hope before the Autumn season starts I can finish that and then start living inside the house. Fishing at my lake and two other nearby lakes seems to be good enough to survive at least, supplemented by trapping grouses. I was out chopping trees one day when a grouse flew by overhead, actually one tile away, and I was quick enough to throw a rock at it and knocked it out of the sky, then cut its neck with my axe and had some extra food, also very satisfying.

It's definitely a slow-moving game, though things can change drastically very quickly. I'm hoping that over the course of the next few weeks in-game I can finish that house and start drying/smoking meats inside my hut, and then shift my efforts more towards hunting. I've spotted some areas nearby where there usually seem to be a few Elk so I plan to make some trap-fences there, start piling up furs to sell, and once I have a bunch I will go looking for villages that have some better gear and hopefully some cord (or linens I can cut into cord) so that I can also build a bow, if I can't just buy a nice bow directly. Maybe also a dog.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Unreal world is the kind of game I love to spend money on, because I know that I'm directly buying the developer a beer.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

How does one make a survival game with a proper difficulty curve?

I've been thinking about this as well, and wondering if there could be a way to have a game transition from "solo survival" to "small group survival" to "settlement survival" in a way that's interesting and fun, with chances to always go back to the 1st if things get too bad or get destroyed, etc.

Great points raised re: Vintage Story, I'm currently near my 20th hour and still enjoying it. I've restarted... 3 times now, died many more than that, and I think I'm going to get to the point of enjoying the creation of a little safe living situation for myself that's also pretty. The ability to sculpt things in voxels really appeals to me for some reason, not necessarily the repetitive clay forming, but rather the free form chiseling. Worth the price thus far, and now it's mine and hopefully will continue to improve. The kid loves watching it too, and maybe by the time it's done they'll be playing games at that point too and we can play together. :3:

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 2, 2021

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like you could get a lot out of having a survival game with a much higher difficulty than normal in terms of crafting, but with an initial care package. Even a sophisticated, experienced human is going to have a really hard time if you just dump them out in the middle of nowhere in the real world. A game that starts you out with a knife, a little bundle of tinder with a lit coal in it, some premade twine, and then tells you "you should really get going on preparing more of these" right away, instead of starting you with nothing and making those kinds of things in the first five minutes.
Like, you have to knapp flint to make a new knife--you start the game with a knife and a few good pieces of flint, and finding more and preparing it is like a multi-day process. Making rope involves actually stripping fibers out of plant materials, starting a new fire is long and difficult. Preparing fibers for rope needs a knife, making a knife needs twine to fix the flint on a handle, carving a good seat in a handle needs a knife. It's vital to maintain and pre-emptively replace what you already have, to establish a good fire and keep it going, transfer coals to a new spot instead of attempting to start an entirely new fire, etc. etc., and all these activities are done best with other tools first.
Then when things break, or you have to suddenly move, recovering with only a partial array of tools is a giant pain, and that's where the difficulty curve comes in. Most games have you start from nothing and want to get things going quickly, but this kind of game starts you in the middle and if you get knocked down to nothing it's a big deal.

Then again, I haven't gone that deep into all of these games, I figure there are a few that work the way I've described. I think it's just games like Rust in particular that turn me off by starting you with literally just a rock and then you can still get up and running super easily. It would be much more interesting if you had to hunt for the really appropriate flint rocks, or gather fallen branches, instead of smashing down boulders and trees right away to get giant stacks of multi-purpose "rocks" and "wood."

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I think that UnReal World does actually do part of what you describe, you start with some tools that are difficult to replace. As an example you may start with an iron axe that can be used to make all kinds of stuff, I am not sure if it can break or wear out, but if you didn't have such an axe you could make one out of wood and stone - but it's not as good, and cannot be used to make some things that an actual Iron axe could make. So you can use a stone axe to chop down trees and prepare logs, but can't use it to chop wooden boards which you need to build some things (like houses). There are various resources that are needed to build some items, like a bow requires cord, and currently you can't make cord so you need to trade for it or just buy a bow. I think the newest beta includes a whole production chain to make cord similar to what you described - breaking down plants into fibers to make cords and cloth - which I am assuming will take a lot of effort and time.

Ultimately I think that the core resource of survival games is time - you spend time in order to gain more survival time in the future. The challenge can then scale along three axes in my opinion - efficiency, scale, and planning.

The tools and resources that you use to make things can be more or less efficient for different tasks, like the axe example above - so you may be able to make some rudimentary tools that are decent for most tasks. If you want to make the most out of your time, you need to use the specific resources and tools that are best for the task. That may include searching for the perfect type of flint or whatever, and can include a progression of tools that build up, each level of tool/resource unlocking the next. This can force the player to explore to find rare resources, and also can add inventory-space challenges.

As mentioned by HelloSailorSign below, challenge can also scale based on how much of a thing you need to do. Actually UnReal World seems to also do this somewhat, if you have dogs (and presumably companions) they also need to be fed, maybe clothed, have shelter... So there is pressure to scale up your food production, build stockpiles of things, and generally maintain more infrastructure. If the game includes decay of tools/resources/buildings then this also presents challenges for the player, and it can result in a 'ceiling' for solo players. For example if some production chain needs a bunch of machines that need to be maintained, plus a variety of resources that need to be gathered, it may be impossible for a solo player to manage everything in working condition.

Related to these is planning/distribution - if you need a bunch of food, it may be more efficient to set up a farm, but then you may need to dedicate large chunks of time to various tasks like sowing the field. This would mean the player needs to plan so that when sowing season starts, they'll spend X consecutive days planting their field, and during that time other tasks like maintenance and supply are still adding pressure. This can become easier if you have more people since then you can have a dedicated farmer, a dedicated guard or whatever, but each of those people also increases the resources and infrastructure needed. You could just decide to have your entire group survive by going out and gathering berries each day with no planning and no infra needed, but without a stockpile you are less resilient against random events like a change of weather that kills all the berry-producing bushes.

I think that the game Don't Starve (actually the multiplayer version, Together) handles all three of these types of challenge pretty well, and so does Oxygen Not Included (by the same company).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Koobze posted:

The challenge can then scale along three axes in my opinion - efficiency, scale, and planning. splitting, carving and battle.

FTFY (sorry :v: )

jokes aside, interesting take, and I feel that I'm still playing URW because it all just clicks so well. The gameplay loop is pretty rewarding, and usually once you're well set up with your character, the urge to start fresh keeps growing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
In my continuing SCUM adventures, I found a pickup truck and have been a roaming nomad, making small camps when I need to unload the truck or want a nearby spawn point for exploring. It's been fun, even though I had to start over completely with the new update.

short version: Good update, but could use a hotfix soon.

longer version: It's mostly pretty good, but a lot of the numbers could definitely use tuning. Most notably, items decaying in storage is some bullshit right now. I'm fine with food decaying over time (not canned stuff), but it's a little too fast at the moment. Tools and weapons and clothes, however, shouldn't get noticeably worn out over a single day while being stored away in a box inside of a cabin. The patch notes do say that a lot of the new stuff is a first iteration, and I'm sure it will probably get rebalanced soon, but it's still frustrating to see a carefully hoarded stash of 2 dozen bullets for guns I haven't seen yet literally rot away in storage. Carrying items in your personal inventory will prevent decay, but it seems like once you pick something up, it will begin falling apart as soon as you store it anywhere.

The new metabolism screen fixed almost all of my previous complaints about the lack of information about your nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Now when you hover over one of them, you can get information about what foods you can get it from and how it's being affected by your current situation (if you're digesting a banana, your mineral K - which is different than vitamin K - is going to be rising). The only thing that seems to be missing is actual names for minerals instead of just the elemental symbol, ie: K doesn't have "Potassium" anywhere in its infobox. It does seem like hunger and thirst drop a bit too fast, but I'm sure being at almost maximum load most of the time and occasionally slightly overheating because of how many layers I have on is a big contributor to that. I'll have to try going with an actual minimal load and not just wear whatever has the most inventory space and see how much of a difference that makes.

The medical stuff is still early too, but it feels like a good addition. Malnutrition can give conditions that affect your energy and stamina (making it cost more stamina to do stuff, and regenerate it more slowly). As far as taking damage goes, puppet attacks are automatically stabilized, so you don't have to treat your injuries after every fight. If you take an actual bleeding wound (animal attacks, explosions from puppets with bomb-vests, probably gunfire), they come in 4 classes. C1 will automatically stabilize on its own (though you can treat it to stabilize it early), and the other 3 require increasing amounts of treatment (more clean rags). While suffering from a bleeding wound, you take constant damage (as well as whatever damage the initial attack dealt) until the wound is stabilized. After the stabilization bar fills, for any injury, it goes into recovery, which is when you actually regain your lost hp. It's slower to get to the part where you actually heal, but you can take a few hits from puppets and not have to bandage up after every one now. I've had a few occasions where after a fight, I've found the nearest loft or closed room and just laid down for a few minutes to recover, because it does speed up the healing rate (and also helps minimize calorie and energy usage). Also, hits to the head seem to do significantly more damage. I've had normal wounds ranging from 2 to 20 damage, but headshots can get up to 40, 50, and in one case NINETY-TWO damage, out of 100 hit points.

There's probably a few more things I'm missing to either praise or complain about, but now I want to go strip nearly-naked and run around in the woods and burn calories to see how long it takes to get hungry and thirsty again.

I'm going to play the video game that does that instead, and minimize my chances of having to interact with another human being (or a cop).

edit: ha, they just put out a hotfix today, and it seems to address a few of my complaints. neat!

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 4, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

In my continuing SCUM adventures, I found a pickup truck and have been a roaming nomad, making small camps when I need to unload the truck or want a nearby spawn point for exploring. It's been fun, even though I had to start over completely with the new update.

short version: Good update, but could use a hotfix soon.

longer version: It's mostly pretty good, but a lot of the numbers could definitely use tuning. Most notably, items decaying in storage is some bullshit right now. I'm fine with food decaying over time (not canned stuff), but it's a little too fast at the moment. Tools and weapons and clothes, however, shouldn't get noticeably worn out over a single day while being stored away in a box inside of a cabin. The patch notes do say that a lot of the new stuff is a first iteration, and I'm sure it will probably get rebalanced soon, but it's still frustrating to see a carefully hoarded stash of 2 dozen bullets for guns I haven't seen yet literally rot away in storage. Carrying items in your personal inventory will prevent decay, but it seems like once you pick something up, it will begin falling apart as soon as you store it anywhere.

The new metabolism screen fixed almost all of my previous complaints about the lack of information about your nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Now when you hover over one of them, you can get information about what foods you can get it from and how it's being affected by your current situation (if you're digesting a banana, your mineral K - which is different than vitamin K - is going to be rising). The only thing that seems to be missing is actual names for minerals instead of just the elemental symbol, ie: K doesn't have "Potassium" anywhere in its infobox. It does seem like hunger and thirst drop a bit too fast, but I'm sure being at almost maximum load most of the time and occasionally slightly overheating because of how many layers I have on is a big contributor to that. I'll have to try going with an actual minimal load and not just wear whatever has the most inventory space and see how much of a difference that makes.

The medical stuff is still early too, but it feels like a good addition. Malnutrition can give conditions that affect your energy and stamina (making it cost more stamina to do stuff, and regenerate it more slowly). As far as taking damage goes, puppet attacks are automatically stabilized, so you don't have to treat your injuries after every fight. If you take an actual bleeding wound (animal attacks, explosions from puppets with bomb-vests, probably gunfire), they come in 4 classes. C1 will automatically stabilize on its own (though you can treat it to stabilize it early), and the other 3 require increasing amounts of treatment (more clean rags). While suffering from a bleeding wound, you take constant damage (as well as whatever damage the initial attack dealt) until the wound is stabilized. After the stabilization bar fills, for any injury, it goes into recovery, which is when you actually regain your lost hp. It's slower to get to the part where you actually heal, but you can take a few hits from puppets and not have to bandage up after every one now. I've had a few occasions where after a fight, I've found the nearest loft or closed room and just laid down for a few minutes to recover, because it does speed up the healing rate (and also helps minimize calorie and energy usage). Also, hits to the head seem to do significantly more damage. I've had normal wounds ranging from 2 to 20 damage, but headshots can get up to 40, 50, and in one case NINETY-TWO damage, out of 100 hit points.

There's probably a few more things I'm missing to either praise or complain about, but now I want to go strip nearly-naked and run around in the woods and burn calories to see how long it takes to get hungry and thirsty again.

I'm going to play the video game that does that instead, and minimize my chances of having to interact with another human being (or a cop).

edit: ha, they just put out a hotfix today, and it seems to address a few of my complaints. neat!

Sorry if you mentioned this already, but are you playing solo or on a server somewhere? The game looks and sounds cool, but, for the reasons discussed by others already, I much prefer solo or coop games to PvP.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
:same: I don't want to go to a desert island/haunted forest/whatever so I can see people lmao, much less get ganked all the time and get called the n-word by 14 year olds.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just last week I was saying "Man it's weird that Icarus is coming out in a week and a half I feel like I'm not even seeing it talked about that much". Well it's now been delayed until late november. They are having weekend testing events starting end of this month.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

BrianRx posted:

Sorry if you mentioned this already, but are you playing solo or on a server somewhere? The game looks and sounds cool, but, for the reasons discussed by others already, I much prefer solo or coop games to PvP.

I usually prefer going solo, too. Originally, that's what I was doing, but I roped a friend into getting the game and we joined an empty public PVE server together. After a few days, the admin noticed there was activity after a couple of months of not having any and hopped in to see what was going on, and now he's trying to get a few more of his friends back into the game. It's pretty laid-back - the map is big enough that everyone can pretty much do their own thing and not deal with anyone else unless they want to. Sometimes people will mention where they're going over global chat in case anyone else is in the area and wants to help deal with poo poo or stay away.

To play with friends (or strangers), you'll need to rent a server or do what we did and join one. There are a bunch of empty ones every time I check, so it shouldn't be too hard to meet with your friends. You can form a squad but you have to be near the actual character in order to invite them (and meeting up might be its own set of issues - me and my friend first spawned nearly in opposite corners of the map the first time, and died a few times just trying to get together).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Been playing 7 Days to Die because of this thread and so far its decent. The actual UX seems a bit rough/primitive, worse somehow than I've come to expect from even indie games nowadays, but it does seem fun despite the minor annoyances. Mostly just wishing there was an auto-pickup/bundling-plus-auto-switch-to-next behaviour for the spears, putting a bunch in your quickbar and then going and retrieving them can be a bit tedious. I guess that's my fault for immediately gravitating towards spears in literally every game I play though, despite how weak they always seem compared to the other alternatives. :v:

I haven't actually built much of anything yet, architecture-wise, but based on what little I've done I've got the feeling it's gonna be a bit annoying once I get to that point.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

I usually prefer going solo, too. Originally, that's what I was doing, but I roped a friend into getting the game and we joined an empty public PVE server together. After a few days, the admin noticed there was activity after a couple of months of not having any and hopped in to see what was going on, and now he's trying to get a few more of his friends back into the game. It's pretty laid-back - the map is big enough that everyone can pretty much do their own thing and not deal with anyone else unless they want to. Sometimes people will mention where they're going over global chat in case anyone else is in the area and wants to help deal with poo poo or stay away.

To play with friends (or strangers), you'll need to rent a server or do what we did and join one. There are a bunch of empty ones every time I check, so it shouldn't be too hard to meet with your friends. You can form a squad but you have to be near the actual character in order to invite them (and meeting up might be its own set of issues - me and my friend first spawned nearly in opposite corners of the map the first time, and died a few times just trying to get together).

Me and my friends been having a blast returning to SCUM after some hiatus. The metabolism changes are exactly what we wanted, they slow the game down and make it more of a survival experience. And like you said this is still the first iteration, it's gonna get tweaked more for sure. We play on an official server and things have been pretty good, I'd say from my experience that only the most popular ones are plagued with cheaters and tryhards, rest have usually a small community of people who give your survival experience some color. Some try to kill you, some can be friendly.

Fishing is a very underrated food source. Hunting can be a pain especially with low awareness where you can't see the animal tracks and they usually won't die at the first hit. I just can't find the best fishing line yet so I can't catch the biggest fish. But every ocean and river is full of carps and oratas and whatnot to give you some much needed fillets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm trying to get the hang of this whole prospecting pick thing in Vintage Story, and it seems in my area (granite) there's appallingly low amounts of tin ore so uh... about that T3 metal thing.

I panned enough bony soil to get silver/gold to make black bronze, but that pick's about 1/3 to done after mining loads of quartz hoping for a gold/silver node.