Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

I don't think DirectStorage is a coherent thing like e.g. Direct3D, it seems to be a marketing name attached to several different things.

Yeah it's two things really

- operating system level support for fast asynchronous I/O similar to io_uring on Linux
- a new compression algorithm (or algorithms) designed to be efficiently decompressable on the GPU

They naturally fit together, using the fast I/O to yeet compressed data from NVMe to CPU to GPU before finally decompressing it in-situ, but they aren't really connected beyond that. The compression bit probably isn't even an OS-level feature, just a bunch of reference code that game developers can drop into their packaging toolchains and engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So Grim Dawn which has controller support disables that support at 1280x800 lol.

Something about the interface not being compatible with that screen size. Oh well! Would have been nice to see how it played with a controller.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OTOH Dragons Dogma looks an runs so good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

OTOH Dragons Dogma looks an runs so good.

I hate that game so much

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sorry to hear that you dislike the good video game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Sorry to hear that you dislike the good video game

For real.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Barreft posted:

I hate that game so much

:chloe:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/1420036822466502667

I suppose this was inevitable, Proton works well enough that one of the bigger developers of native Linux versions can't justify the effort anymore

Proton is a net positive for Linux gaming but it's a shame for first-class Linux support to take a step backwards

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

Proton is a net positive for Linux gaming but it's a shame for first-class Linux support to take a step backwards

We still have stadia!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh and there's no VRR on the decks internal display if anyone was wondering

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1419294155994456073

capping at 30fps will be the way to go then, if 60fps isn't feasible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

oh and there's no VRR on the decks internal display if anyone was wondering

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1419294155994456073

capping at 30fps will be the way to go then, if 60fps isn't feasible

He made a good video as to why no VRR isn’t that big of a deal

https://youtu.be/7NvxgQhY1Sg

First off being sourcing the correct panels probably wasn’t possible and second being the battery life hit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

I suppose this was inevitable, Proton works well enough that one of the bigger developers of native Linux versions can't justify the effort anymore

They should move to D3D>Vulkan renderer backend ports instead, there's enough performance to be gained there that it'd be worth it for a lot of the bigger titles.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's sad but not surprising. They were doing bespoke solutions for games that were always separate from the game's codebase, which is the worst way of porting a game you can do. Since the port codebase was always separate they were always weeks behind on patches.

Then wine got better, dxvk appeared, and valve funded a lot of development work to find a general solution. That solution isn't great either and I'm not happy with it, but it's a pragmatic one…

As far as I can tell Feral has been doing more other porting work, like porting to ios or doing remaster work with Total War: Rome to get away from a dying business model.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

repiv posted:

It’s also hard to tell if it’s Proton being that good, or Feral being that bad - it’s very common for games on Steam with Linux ports by Feral to have their Windows version under Proton run better than Feral’s Linux port, even when the tech was still new.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Of course, testing is a whole thing with time and money needed for it, but don't most game development tools natively port to all 3 major (computer) platforms now?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Only Unity, really. Unreal is a trash fire on Linux. Godot exists but few games released with it so far.

In house engines typically weren't built in a multiplatform way so it's all kludged together.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In-house engines tend to prefer Direct3D over Vulkan too, since a significant amount of code can be shared between Windows D3D and Xbox D3D backends

Using Vulkan on PC allows for code sharing with Linux/Android/Oculus but those are non-factors for most big developers compared to Xbox

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

repiv posted:

Using Vulkan on PC allows for code sharing with Linux/Android/Oculus but those are non-factors

You may have missed the Nintendo Switch on that list, which even includes the Nvidia extensions.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You may have missed the Nintendo Switch on that list, which even includes the Nvidia extensions.

Oh yeah, the Switch is weird in that it supports OpenGL, Vulkan and a proprietary Nvidia/Nintendo API called NVN

I recall the developers of the Yuzu emulator saying they haven't encountered a single game actually using Vulkan in the wild though, less demanding PC ports use OpenGL and the Switch-first games or high quality ports use NVN

Doom Eternal is notable as a game that does use Vulkan on PC, but Panic Button built an NVN backend for the Switch port rather than adapting the existing Vulkan code

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 28, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal is notable as a game that does use Vulkan on PC, but Panic Button built an NVN backend for the Switch port rather than adapting the existing Vulkan code

That I didn't know. Clearly they managed to milk out more performance from NVN.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

More stuff from IGN talking to Gabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kO6Dj2XNfY

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My friend said he preordered one so I’ll try his out because I’m an idiot for dumb tech. Maybe I’ll whip out my steam controller this weekend to see how the community binds have developed since I last used it like the week they first came out. The touch pads were a neat idea but I was not interested in fiddling with keybinds for every single game.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I guess this is where the thread slows down to a trickle as we all wait 5-9 months for our right to be consumer whores

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The thread will wake up every week when IGN drops another 30 seconds of gaben interview

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

When did Gaben became half Jesus/half Santa Claus anyway? I apparently wasn't paying attention, but I do love the new look.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

Only Unity, really. Unreal is a trash fire on Linux. Godot exists but few games released with it so far.

I wonder if having the GOTY in Cruelty Squad will get a lot more people hopping on Godot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I imagine the Godot devs are a bit conflicted on the first really successful game to use it being an intentionally hideous and janky nightmare game

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

They seem pretty stoked that there's so much interest in what is still a pretty small project. It seems to be slowly gaining traction.

I definitely hope it can become the Blender of game engines.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Godot is crazy easy to learn as well, and lots of tutorials/guides to get you going plus good in engine documentation.

The next version has a lot of nice improvements as well. Plus it is all open source. Hopefully it starts to blow up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Other than Cruelty Squad, what is the coolest game done with Godot so far?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

There aren't many released games yet, but it has >20k closed pull requests, 1.2k active, 1.4k people who have contributed code.

So there's a lot of interest and people are working with it. You wouldn't get those numbers otherwise.

I enjoyed Precipice. I just suck at the game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been following Godot pretty closely for the last few years. The polls come out and the overwhelming voting userbase identify as white males between like 18 and 34 working solo on non-commercial projects, though interestingly with a pretty even split between North America and Europe. So lots of hobbyists.

But it's definitely been getting a lot of more formal attention over the last year, grants from foundations and funds from Patreon and whatnot, so it's definitely on its way toward emerging into the mainstream. And it is a joy to work with.

I'm actually concerned its popularity is going to water down its vision from a technical perspective. Like when they did a vote on which other programming languages they should support with officially maintained plugins, Rust made a showing.

Fortunately the devs called that one out as boneheaded.

The thing that got me to justify my preorder was actually the idea of running Godot portably so I can work on my hobby games on the go with controllers built-in. Which I immediately recognized as wildly unrealistic unless I can figure out how to get a reasonably portable keyboard that's good for lots of typing on. But then I fantasized drawing graphics using the touchscreen. Hopefully the touch screen supports glove-and-pencil style drawing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Other than Cruelty Squad, what is the coolest game done with Godot so far?
i dunno about coolest but there are good/interesting games made in Godot

Luck be a Landlord
Oddventure
ProtoCorgi
Ex Zodiac

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh, Luck be a Landlord was a pretty fun game from the Palestinian Aid bundle! And yes, by "coolest" I meant exactly what you posted "good/interesting". Gonna check the other games now, including Precipice (which I apparently own on Steam??).

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's not amazing, but I created this in a week without much prior Godot background, and little programming background (just some VBA stuff I do for work)

https://harminoff.itch.io/adventure-in-the-forgotten-pyramid

So throwing something playable together doesn't take much time at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

More stuff from IGN talking to Gabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kO6Dj2XNfY

This is actually a really good 30 min video.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Interesting, stated "open to other stores, so if you want to run an oculus quest on it" so I am guessing they tried streaming to quest with ok results? That's pretty awesome! Can bring this and my Quest somewhere and have the pc and quest library ready to go.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

repiv posted:

Say they decide to support the Proton version as first class with QA and all, especially for something like the Deck. Does it really matter then if it isn't "native"?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If they roll with Vulkan it probably doesn't matter all that much

D3D12 has the momentum though and emulating it isn't free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Interesting, stated "open to other stores, so if you want to run an oculus quest on it" so I am guessing they tried streaming to quest with ok results? That's pretty awesome! Can bring this and my Quest somewhere and have the pc and quest library ready to go.
I would not get too excited about VR on this thing... I mean, yes, it's more powerful than the hardware in the quest, but iGPU and VR are a bad combination. you'll likely have to bring the resolution scale down a lot, on top of cranking the graphical settings down. and then streaming to the quest will be a hit on the CPU as well

even with an i7-10k and overclocked 3070, my hp reverb g2 will have trouble hitting 100% resolution scale on some games. (luckily the reverb has a pretty high internal resolution so even 80-some precent looks pretty sharp)