Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My boyfriend has a recliner that I hate sitting in, first because it's so soft it's like being enveloped in marshmallow, and it's so low that my butt is below my (arthritic) knees so I practically have to somersault out of it. You don't have to be THAT old to have trouble. :(

Scary Gary

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Bonus: Tired of the olympics? Too bad, the 70s paper is also talking about them.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns
This one got me good.

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

riderchop posted:

Octopus time :woop:

gently caress yeah! :allears:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

riderchop posted:

:3:

Moomin under sail

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

More Than You Wanted to Know About Women's Footwear in the 1940s 12/5-7/46

As silly as this story is, any plot that involves Pesky getting smacked in the face can't be all bad.
Um
Wouldn't it've been easier to just stand outside the section they were in and spot the woman hobbling on one shoe?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

That platypus looks like it was drawn by the Overboard guy. Speaking of which...

riderchop posted:

Hello, octopus friend!

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

riderchop posted:

And remember...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's neat how much better old Overboard is than the new stuff, it's got actual jokes and stuff and not just "The dog is doing something we must all stop and worship him."

I wonder when the bizarre talking animals show up.

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

This is actually pretty good, it makes sense a kid as young as her wouldn't really know what qualifies as new technology to someone from the late 80s/early 90s.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Folie à Deux Online Animals

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Classic Cat

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set runs up the scoreboard.

Working Daze is so thick, you can eat it with a fork.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix got the wrong script.

Cul De Sac did not part on good terms.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (August 5, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 14, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (September 10, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (February 11, 1936)

Mopsy (April 12, 1937)

Up Front (May 24, 1944)

Dark Laughter (November 8, 1947)

Those Were the Gams (June 24, 1953)

Wee Pals (November 1, 1965)

Dogbert March 1, 1966

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aaaaaand I'm back. First up, let's catch up with Crabgrass:

I don't normally post The Teen Years since it's Patreon only but I think this one justifies special treatment for :eyepop:

You should really support Tauhid's Patreon and give it a read if you haven't already.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I think I'll just pick up where I left off on the rest of them so I don't have to go harvest a weeks worth of comics:

Old School Peanuts (Nov 15, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 25-26, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (April 12, 1937)

This one seems like it could well be semi-autobiographical. Gladys Parker was pretty famous, if I'm remembering the thread's history lessons correctly, but it's not hard to imagine that fame not being compensated monetarily.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Good Listener posted:

It's very lovely in Safe Havens that it's like "We hired you to make sure no one else does what we can. Only we are the arbiters of good obviously."
Holbrook loves his cabals of wise guardians who secretly control the world. It's the entire basis of the Kevin & Kell universe.

SubNat posted:

Moomin under sail

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: who framed R.L. (and Angelique)? (September 30 - October 6, 2002)

Oh, I see.

Yep, we're doing this again, folks.

Also, please note: this universe apparently has reliable enough cloning technology that Vin can make copies of long-dead animals in his lab without involving anyone else (not even surrogate mothers)... And yet no one thinks of using this to mass-produce ethical meat which doesn't involve killing anyone.

Tomorrow: who is blackmailing Vin?

Modern Kevin & Kell

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've never heard of MinSec before until this thread. It's funny how the reboot starts with a scarily-prescient story about cops putting people into camps which seems reasonable, but then you get into MinSec lady's actual ideology and it's loving bonkers. If we went by the world she's describing then we'd basically be twiddling our thumbs while Covid kills us off.

I like that since Holbrook really wanted Lindesfarne and Fenton to experience being parents, they're shoehorned into looking after RL and Angelique's kids. It definitely doesn't make Kevin into an rear end in a top hat who can't put aside his differences with his ex-wife to look after her kids temporarily or anything.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set runs up the scoreboard.

??

what is a "spray" at a funeral?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The absolute mundane stupid that is Funky Winkerbean is best summed up boy Son of Stuck Funky:

https://sonofstuckfunky.com/

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I like that since Holbrook really wanted Lindesfarne and Fenton to experience being parents, they're shoehorned into looking after RL and Angelique's kids. It definitely doesn't make Kevin into an rear end in a top hat who can't put aside his differences with his ex-wife to look after her kids temporarily or anything.

Minor spoilers for upcoming plot (so minor I'm not even going to spoilertag it): when R.L. and Angelique are cleared, Lindesfarne tells Angelique "I never realised being a parent is so difficult. I help out with Coney, but having sole responsibility is way different."

Except... Just a minor detail: you've been taking care of TWENTY KIDS, the oldest of which isn't even a teenager. It's quite different from taking care of ONE.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

you broke my grill posted:

??

what is a "spray" at a funeral?

Basically a large, flat bouquet you'd put on the casket or display near it, like these (please don't send the flag one): https://www.floristone.com/funeral-flowers/What-is-a-Standing-Spray-and-Who-Sends-Standing-Sprays-f1c

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

readingatwork posted:

I don't normally post The Teen Years since it's Patreon only but I think this one justifies special treatment for :eyepop:

You should really support Tauhid's Patreon and give it a read if you haven't already.
Man maybe I'm out of touch (almost certainly) but whenever that argument comes up I'm like, what music do other white guys listen to and sing along with on such a regular basis that the question even theoretically comes up

there's absolutely no way everyone is this much into Gun Club and Clawfinger in 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Meet the mother. Now say goodbye to the mother cause she's never showing up again.

It's Vater and Son, not Mutti and Son!!!

I cannot remember if that is mother in German and I can't be bothered to check

Also, someone once had that 'A Nibling's revenge is terrible' as an avatar once. Who was it?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 28, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 12, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 12, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 12, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/27/01

Brenda Starr 12/8/46

Smokey Stover 6/28/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 16, 1946)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Aleta, I love you dear, but get a loving band for your hair!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think scrunchies existed in times of yore.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Could have slicked it back with lard, though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "154 - Jucika Is Frying Doughnuts"

"155 - Jucika And The Mud"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Oh, gently caress off you assholes.

This Sir Puny arc has been super funny, while still keeping me mesmerized by the art. Look at that lighting in panel 2!

Classic Zits

That second one is just...so good.

Sylvia

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

I've never heard of MinSec before until this thread. It's funny how the reboot starts with a scarily-prescient story about cops putting people into camps which seems reasonable, but then you get into MinSec lady's actual ideology and it's loving bonkers. If we went by the world she's describing then we'd basically be twiddling our thumbs while Covid kills us off.

Her introduction to the book version describes the 2010 story as "a thought experiment about resistance, and about what it might take to transform society", and how her narrative was driven by frustrations with what she perceived as the low level of political activity in the real world (again, in 2010), along with an extended attack on lifestyle activism, the idea that signifiers shouldn't be the revolution (whatever that is).

Today she talks about "the prevalent political gaslighting" that led to a "thoughts and feelings are jerking off, what matters is doing something NOW" mindset which blinded her to certain windows for action that closed forever before she even realized they were there. Recruitment? Incubating the collective unconsciousness? She's kind of light on details, but the point is she recognizes a big moment got away from her while she was off throwing stones.

In a certain sense the later storyline is about her working through some of that poo poo, maybe towards that particular realization. As to where MiniSec itself falls in that personal struggle...well, for the purposes of her current website, it doesn't exactly exist anymore. The strips themselves have gone down the Internet memory hole, and the only sign of the old characters is Bunnista on the cover of a coloring book. Unless I'm missing something, it wasn't even a dramatic John Campbell-style break with the past. MiniSec just...dissolved.

So that's a whole new lens through which you can focus your reading.

And on that note, Your Morning MiniSec, marching out in broad daylight all brazen and such.

2007 (July 16-20)

2010 (August 16-20)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Aha, here it is. "Dustin is a loser (*), so no one who is smart will respect him." Goes a long way to show the mentality of the author. gently caress you.

And yes, it is the mentality of the author. If it was a one-off, I would dismiss it as a faux pas, but it's always, always like this for Dustin. Again, gently caress you.

(*) Dustin is in no way a loser, just btw. He's an understimulated teenager who likely has untreated health issues (narcolepsy) and mental issues (anxiety, self-esteem problems, maybe ADHD?), and everything is compounded by having a loving UNSUPPORTIVE FAMILY WHO SHITS ON HIM EVERY CHANCE THEY GET INSTEAD OF HELPING HIM. For the third time, gently caress you.

(Sorry for going off there, folks. But stuff like this makes me extremely mad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

This page may need some explation. At the end of the Steeple storyline, Chirstmas with Clovis, Billie found out that as a trainee priestess in the Church of Satan not only does she not get paid, but the church chrages her rent, as seen in this page:

I assume that this current story line will deal with her trying to make ends meet. Indeed the title of this chapter, "brassic", means broke in cockney rhyming slang.

Also from John Allison's Instagram have a pic of Lottie and Claire.