Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

For a more recent example, ask a 20 year old American what they think about 9/11. It’s not a stretch to think that people forgot or don’t care that some New Yorkers fought a god a couple decades ago.

Supposedly, who knows what the gently caress happened. It was New York in the 80's man.

I'm more concerned about how people forgot that the Statue of Liberty came alive for a hot minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thing with the Statue of Liberty incident is you'd have the statue just sitting there right in the middle of the city. You'd have to explain how that happened somehow. With Stay Puft the only evidence is a bunch of marshmallow.

Maybe the Ghostbusters walked her back to her original place after the movie ended.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

^They did I think, I think you see her back on place in the end credits.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That trailer was paced like, had similar fonts to, and really sounded like a Force Awakens or Rise of Skywalker trailer.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with the Statue of Liberty incident is you'd have the statue just sitting there right in the middle of the city. You'd have to explain how that happened somehow. With Stay Puft the only evidence is a bunch of marshmallow.

Maybe the Ghostbusters walked her back to her original place after the movie ended.

She's back in place for the final scene (where the mayor is giving them an award) right before the cut to the rest of the credits.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

For a more recent example, ask a 20 year old American what they think about 9/11. It’s not a stretch to think that people forgot or don’t care that some New Yorkers fought a god a couple decades ago.

I get not caring, I guess, but would a teacher mention 9/11 to a class full of teens and have them all go "what? that's crazy, i've never heard of that"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

I get not caring, I guess, but would a teacher mention 9/11 to a class full of teens and have them all go "what? that's crazy, i've never heard of that"

Also, the media landscape was a bit different in 2001 vs. 1983/4 or 1991.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Frustrating discourse on twitter. Two camps; one claiming that the original Ghostbusters isn't a comedy, and the other saying it's a comedy in the vein of Airplane! Both seemingly misunderstanding what that original film is doing. It's a big spectrum of different tones and approaches in comedy within a dramatic framework and that original film finds an excellent place on it, it doesn't need to be a strict binary between serious film and Naked Gun style goof off.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The humor in the original is so natural that I can kind of understand not viewing it as a comedy, especially since it’s played straight and the threats taken seriously.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's only one character who purposely makes jokes in Ghosbusters and that's Venkman. All of the other comedy moments come from extremely well drawn characters who are just being themselves, which is a much harder type of comedy to write.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There's only one character who purposely makes jokes in Ghosbusters and that's Venkman. All of the other comedy moments come from extremely well drawn characters who are just being themselves, which is a much harder type of comedy to write.

You justr never seen the cut where Louis Tully slips on diarrhea for 5 minutes before tumbling out of his apartment; locking himself out

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Blue Raider posted:

The humor in the original is so natural that I can kind of understand not viewing it as a comedy, especially since it’s played straight and the threats taken seriously.

If Afterlife manages to provide some legit scares for the under-12 crowd like the original did, while also making us olds cackle a couple times, then mission accomplished. The moment right after “Get her Ray!” led to some nights staring at the ceiling in bed, and I feel that leaning on creepy practical effects like the ghost miner might produce the same effect. The comedy will be the more challenging aspect for the more mature audience members I think, given that the main cast are children who lack the comedic chops of the originals. The lack of humor in the trailer I’m sure is intentional in order for it to have a greater impact when people see the movie for the first time and I think that’s smart on the part of whoever edited the trailer. Also is it pretty much a given that Rudd is the new keymaster and Coon the gatekeeper?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think for me the most traumatic horror moment in Ghostbusters was Dana with the monster arms grabbing her from inside the chair. Definitely had nightmares about that one. But when I first saw it at age 3 or 4 the comedy was totally lost on me, so even scenes like Louis running from the demon dog were terrifying.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe for Rudd as a keymaster. From Jason Reitman's trailer breakdown, he talks about the transitional form of the Terror Dog which is that ghost looking Terror Dog at 01:55 in that shot it looks like it's roaring at Paul Rudd. But it's during the day in comparison to the night shot where we see the solid Dog chasing him, so it looks like it might possess him in that night shot and get exorcised during the day. If he's only briefly possessed, a Gatekeeper might not be necessary.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 28, 2021

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Basebf555 posted:

I think for me the most traumatic horror moment in Ghostbusters was Dana with the monster arms grabbing her from inside the chair. Definitely had nightmares about that one. But when I first saw it at age 3 or 4 the comedy was totally lost on me, so even scenes like Louis running from the demon dog were terrifying.

Oh gosh, totally. All this plus the brief glimpse of the taxi driver.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I said before in this thread, Ghostbusters is extremely dry and humorous and that's a rare movie to make work. The hotel is very slapstick but that's the most outwardly high energy part of the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Karloff posted:

Frustrating discourse on twitter. Two camps; one claiming that the original Ghostbusters isn't a comedy, and the other saying it's a comedy in the vein of Airplane! Both seemingly misunderstanding what that original film is doing. It's a big spectrum of different tones and approaches in comedy within a dramatic framework and that original film finds an excellent place on it, it doesn't need to be a strict binary between serious film and Naked Gun style goof off.

Yeah, the twitter discourse has been really bad. A lot of it repeats the already tired "this movie shouldn't be serious because in the first one a character got his dick sucked by a ghost*."

Ghostbusters is cut from the same cloth as Back to the Future where where they span a ton of different genres that happen to have a comedic bent. This also ignores that trailers are usually cut by a different studio and might not reflect the final movie. This one could very well have a lot of comedy. Seems weird to cast Paul Rudd in a blockbuster sequel to a comedy and there be zero comedy.

*It didn't even actually happen as it was a dream.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I could really think watching the trailer is that it looked a whole lot more like a Stranger Things spinoff. That isn't a criticism or anything it's just kind of hilariously how bluntly they went "Okay but what if Ghostbusters but also Stranger Things?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, the Stranger Things inspiration is blalant. It's all an incestuous circle, no denying that.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ghostbusters is as much a “comedy” as Indiana Jones and Star Wars are comedies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

Not really, no. The bulk of Ghostbusters is built around setting up and performing jokes and even when it gets super serious it is in service to making more jokes. The final climax involves them fighting a giant marshmallow man. The primary cast are comedians. It is part of what makes it endearing that it is both funny and heartfelt.

In comparison Indiana Jones and Star Wars have funny moments but they are not built in service of jokes.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Noob Saibot posted:

I think it's moreso than that, as the concept - exorcist as exterminators - is intrinsically funny in itself in a way that Star Wars and Jones isn't. Plus, it's headlined by the big comic actors of the day unlike those two. But, the idea there's no stakes, or threat, or seriousness in lieu of a better term getting bandied about on twitter is false imo. Something like Shaun of the Dead is a good comparison, funny performances, comic sequences, wry humour, but genuine menace and stakes when needed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, that's why I put down Back to the Future as the next closest comparison. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz definitely carry that torch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Szmitten posted:

That trailer was paced like, had similar fonts to, and really sounded like a Force Awakens or Rise of Skywalker trailer.

Probably the same company that did those trailers. They've all got that orchestral sound with the serious slow moments moving into the faster ones.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ImpAtom posted:

All I could really think watching the trailer is that it looked a whole lot more like a Stranger Things spinoff. That isn't a criticism or anything it's just kind of hilariously how bluntly they went "Okay but what if Ghostbusters but also Stranger Things?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh yeah, the Stranger Things inspiration is blalant. It's all an incestuous circle, no denying that.

Didn't one of the casting call things (not sure what those are called) just explicitly describe "kid who looks a lot like Finn Wolfhard"? And then they just cast Finn Wolfhard.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

8one6 posted:

Didn't one of the casting call things (not sure what those are called) just explicitly describe "kid who looks a lot like Finn Wolfhard"? And then they just cast Finn Wolfhard.

Usually they do that as a negotiating tactic if they already have someone in mind.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There was at least one snarky joke in the previous trailer so I would suggest they are going for a measured approach to the comedy but the trailer is hyping the nostalgia and stakes more than the comedy, which is fine. Everyone playing with a straight bat against quite horrifying ghosts/monsters is what made the original work in my opinion, Venkman felt like he was just laying down covering fire of jokes to put a brave face on things at times.

As long as it is tightly scripted it will be fine, I think it was done to death on youtube etc but that was one of the biggest issues with 2016, goofball humour in scenes dragging on three times too long.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As long as it is tightly scripted it will be fine, I think it was done to death on youtube etc but that was one of the biggest issues with 2016, goofball humour in scenes dragging on three times too long.

Yeah. They had a good cast but a mostly improv-fueled take was not the way to go. Or at least it needed to be given to a different editor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A lot of humour in the original GB84 is situational, rather than quippy, so it doesn’t lend itself well to a 5 second clip in a trailer. I’d imagine that Afterlife works in the same way. Yes, there’s almost certainly jokes, but I can see them being much in the vein of the original.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The moment right after “Get her Ray!”

I always loved how Venkman was so incredibly petty and vindictive, he was still so pissed off about Ray's dumb "Get her!" plan with the library ghost that he was still giving him poo poo about it when they were fighting Gozer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J42kkn0zrqQ

Karloff posted:

I think it's moreso than that, as the concept - exorcist as exterminators - is intrinsically funny in itself in a way that Star Wars and Jones isn't. Plus, it's headlined by the big comic actors of the day unlike those two. But, the idea there's no stakes, or threat, or seriousness in lieu of a better term getting bandied about on twitter is false imo. Something like Shaun of the Dead is a good comparison, funny performances, comic sequences, wry humour, but genuine menace and stakes when needed.

Galaxy Quest as well.

Gremlins and An American Werewolf In London also straddled the horror/comedy lines (Gremlins 2 of course leaned into it a lot harder) and MIB straddled the scifi/comedy line

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 28, 2021

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Did the gunner chair fold out from the Ecto-1 in the original movies, or is that something from the toys/cartoons?

8one6
May 20, 2012

That wasn't in either of the first two movies.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lamont posted:

Did the gunner chair fold out from the Ecto-1 in the original movies, or is that something from the toys/cartoons?

I think it was a wag the dog type situation where they needed to make some cool toys, so they added it to the cartoon.

Violator
May 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The primary cast are comedians.

Hmm. The original cast of Ghostbusters (and folks like Chevy Chase) were a big deal to me as a little kid growing up because I loved their movies so much, but I'm guessing the folks from SNL weren't considered A-listers even though SNL was a bigger deal back then. Who would be similar caliber stars today? People like Chris Pratt?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Violator posted:

Hmm. The original cast of Ghostbusters (and folks like Chevy Chase) were a big deal to me as a little kid growing up because I loved their movies so much, but I'm guessing the folks from SNL weren't considered A-listers even though SNL was a bigger deal back then. Who would be similar caliber stars today? People like Chris Pratt?

Pratt, Paul Rudd, maybe Henry Cavill? Comedies don’t get made like they used to, at frequency or quality.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Violator posted:

I mean, 2016 GB tried to replicate that magic. I would argue that Chris Hemsworth was the biggest star of that movie, much like Sigorney Weaver was in GB84. All the rest were SNL alums for the most part. I guess Wiig had more mainstream success than like Akroyd or Murray had at that point but...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Donald Glover, Andrew Dismukes, Nicole Byer, Simu Liu, William Jackson Harper, Danny Pudi, Manny Jacinto, Bowen Yang, Lakeith Stanfield.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Leslie Jones was the best person in GB16 because she was the only one not playing a character from a Ghostbusters parody cartoon.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Donald Glover, Andrew Dismukes, Nicole Byer, Simu Liu, William Jackson Harper, Danny Pudi, Manny Jacinto, Bowen Yang, Lakeith Stanfield.

God drat, outside of Glover I don’t recognize any of those names. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, no William Atherton (Walter Peck)? Shame. :(