Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

I mean yes the problem is the American healthcare system is built in such a way to make everything maximally, fundamentally hosed up, and doctors being Terrible is just one of the most visible side effects.

Also lumping nurse practitioners in with chiropractors and naturopaths seems real... unfair, though I realize you didn't mean to equate them or anything lol

NPs are the most recent hydra head of the fuckening of American healthcare into a two-tier system

The original idea was that you take, say, a nurse with 10 years experience, give them 2 years of rigorous schooling, and you have something that's kind of like a doctor

Except now it's increasingly people get their BSN and go straight to online NP school without ever even working at bedside. And they're lobbying for full prescription rights in plenty of states, lol.

But big hospitals don't care cause hey, NPs can bill for 85% an MD does and cost half as much lol. Any problems this causes for patients will most likely show up years down the road and be Someone Else's Problem, and if not, it's cheaper to pay the malpractice payments

In general the American healthcare system grinds MDs and other staff to the bone pumping patients through for profit, and since doctors are the face people interact with, they get blamed for stuff like 15 minute sweatshop medicine time slots. The system relies on burning doctors out so they become complacent and too tired to explore other options than those the hospitals want to give them; when the hospitals aren't lobbying as hard as they can to put roadblocks to private practice. The de-petit-bourgousizing of doctors is getting close to complete, the vast majority are employees of big hospital systems now and have to deal with MBAs, MHAs, and random insurance bureaucrats telling them how to do their jobs (the profit-maximinizing way, generally). Your average doctor these days comes out of med school with 6 figures of debt and is pretty much the hospital's bitch through residency and possibly beyond, depending on what specialty they go into and how well they can manage paying that poo poo off

the out of touch boomers who run the AMA are already fully vested and don't recognize these problems or don't care. fuckem.

source: am medical resident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Biplane posted:

Anything that harms a corporation in any way is illegal.

That's what I'm saying, this waste of waste is them illegally not trying to maximize profits/value for shareholders.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Capitalism question: could someone who holds shares of stock in a large corporate agribusiness sue that corporation for being deliberately unprofitable because they refuse to spray the nitrogenous bodily wastes of their employees on their crops and, in fact, make conscious choices to simply dispose of these resources, and even knowingly spend corporate funds on facilities that promote the underutilization of them?

Lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Capitalism question: could someone who holds shares of stock in a large corporate agribusiness sue that corporation for being deliberately unprofitable because they refuse to spray the nitrogenous bodily wastes of their employees on their crops and, in fact, make conscious choices to simply dispose of these resources, and even knowingly spend corporate funds on facilities that promote the underutilization of them?

No because the reason they aren't doing that is because of big government regulations, not because they don't want to

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/07/26/frito-lay-strike-topeka/

This is so infuriating. ONE GUARANTEED DAY OFF!? It’s called the loving weekend and people died for it a hundred years ago.

I wish they had received the support to strike at length and really gently caress up Frito-Lay.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vlonald Prump posted:

NPs are the most recent hydra head of the fuckening of American healthcare into a two-tier system

The VA uses the hell out of NPs now.

And lol if you think there are only two tiers of health care. The VA is its' own tier, largely full of boomers that want to bitch about Vietnam all day yet. They'll sit there and absorb socialized health care while praying for a donny boy dictatorship between spouting fits of FYGM.

Go work for the VA. Seriously, they're shorthanded as hell and paying for it now. You'll get to deal with aasholes like me all the time, but then you don't have to carry malpractice insurance or gently caress with insurance approval or worrying about whether or not the patient can afford their scripts. No kids to deal with either, just adults that ate or breathed a lot of lead in the past.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Jul 28, 2021

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

you can but you'll lose

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The VA uses the hell out of NPs now.

And lol if you think there are only two tiers of health care. The VA is its' own tier, largely full of boomers that want to bitch about Vietnam all day yet. They'll sit there and absorb socialized health care while praying for a donny boy dictatorship between spouting fits of FYGM.

Go work for the VA. Seriously, they're shorthanded as hell and paying for it now. You'll get to deal with aasholes like me all the time, but then you don't have to carry malpractice insurance or gently caress with insurance approval or worrying about whether or not the patient can afford their scripts. No kids to deal with either, just adults that ate or breathed a lot of lead in the past.

Seconding this for engineering. We've been getting huge amounts of money thrown at us to modernize and replace medical and building systems that have needed replacement for decades, but we're dying for people to actually administer the work.

We just got a special pay scale so the money is pretty good, you don't have to worry about moral hazards from the profit motive (just political fuckery), and you sure as hell won't be bored.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

can't really think of a better place to put this https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1420094149064372227?s=20

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
With all the Antivax poo poo going on, do you guys think that the patient autonomy movement and the reduction of the patient-doctor relationship to a customer seller one has something to do with it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

can't really think of a better place to put this https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1420094149064372227?s=20

Get arrested (not even convicted) for DUI, and your name is plastered all over the newspapers.

Loot and fence a valuable antiquity, they won't even name your loving company.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It says Hobby Lobby right in the middle of the press release.

Not that the hobby lobby fucks don't deserve to hang, but maybe read the whole text first next time.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Get arrested (not even convicted) for DUI, and your name is plastered all over the newspapers.

you’d think indirectly funding ISIS would be more of a crime

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It says Hobby Lobby right in the middle of the press release.

Not that the hobby lobby fucks don't deserve to hang, but maybe read the whole text first next time.

They're talking about the auction company

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ToxicAcne posted:

With all the Antivax poo poo going on, do you guys think that the patient autonomy movement and the reduction of the patient-doctor relationship to a customer seller one has something to do with it?

I think it's more just the general erosion of trust in experts across the board. If you wanna tie that back in to capitalism, I get the sneaking suspicion it's because experts tend to say annoying stock-price-affecting things like "smoking is bad for you" and "hey maybe we should stop dumping megatons of CO2 into the atmosphere" so reducing and confusing the public's trust in them is in the interest of lots of different industries.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

Any liability for anyone but the lowest of peasants would undermine the whole point of capitalism.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

Only if you're an individual. HSBC was laundering billions of dollars for terrorists and cartels with the full knowledge and cooperation of their senior leadership, and they got a slap on the wrist fine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They're talking about the auction company

I am, in fact, talking about the auction house. Unless "Auction House" is actually its name.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Thanatosian posted:

Only if you're an individual. HSBC was laundering billions of dollars for terrorists and cartels with the full knowledge and cooperation of their senior leadership, and they got a slap on the wrist fine.

I bet whatever teller or customer service person that processed the paperwork got fired, though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

James Comey was on the HSCB board in 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thanatosian posted:

I am, in fact, talking about the auction house. Unless "Auction House" is actually its name.

Okay, gotcha.

Although the Auction HouseTM might just be because it's outside the US.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Why put it in a bible museum? What was that thought process

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Thanatosian posted:

The lawyers working that case at the DOJ were originally going to give them the 'death penalty' (revoking their banking charter) because the money laundering they committed was so massive and blatant until someone higher up swooped in last minute, took the case from the prosecutors working on it, and proceeded to soft ball them instead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Line Feed posted:

Probably the bible came from the middle east and so did the epic of gilgamesh so it's part of the Judeo-Christian tradition or some poo poo

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Line Feed posted:

Not sure if the portion on said tablet includes it (not that it would matter much), but the epic of Gilgamesh contains a story about a catastrophic flood, so maybe as "evidence" the Bible is true and the flood totally happened?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the flood survivor dude is utnapishtim and he says some notverychristian poo poo tho

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah but at the risk of reverting to my 13 year-old edgelord atheist self, Christians do have centuries of practice cherry picking which parts of a text they find relevant at any given time (especially the kind of Christians who will smuggle in a fragmented tablet of the epic of Gilgamesh to display in their Bible museum).

Though honestly it's probably just

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Probably the bible came from the middle east and so did the epic of gilgamesh so it's part of the Judeo-Christian tradition or some poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the flood survivor dude is utnapishtim and he says some notverychristian poo poo tho

Buddy you know darn well that doesn't matter

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jel Shaker posted:

The US government was funding Al Qaeda in Syria and probably ISIS at some point too. Funding terror is just what America does :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lugubrious posted:

Yeah but at the risk of reverting to my 13 year-old edgelord atheist self, Christians do have centuries of practice cherry picking which parts of a text they find relevant at any given time (especially the kind of Christians who will smuggle in a fragmented tablet of the epic of Gilgamesh to display in their Bible museum).

Though honestly it's probably just

I mean, it's the loving hobby lobby bible museum, I'd be very surprised if this was meant to be an earnest attempt to show other artifacts from the region for cultural context or whatever.

e: Okay, to be fair the museum itself is at least trying to be kinda legitimate about it

quote:

The exhibits intend to offer a scholarly perspective on the impact of the Bible in history.

Must be because it's in DC. I guess I'm just very used to bible museums and attractions here in The South doing poo poo like buying fossils to prove that actually people rode around on t-rex all Fred Flintstone style or whatever.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Jul 28, 2021

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

could have been there to lead credibility to all their fake fragments of the dead sea scrolls
remember when hobby lobby got busted with a ton of fake dead sea scrolls?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like for example I drive by this... thing... sometimes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Land_Experience

I can only imagine it exists solely for baptist private schools to take incredibly disappointing field trips to because EPCOT is too multicultural or whatever.

e: Lmao that is some hilarious levels of nepotism

quote:

On August 21, 2007, former president and board member, Tom Powell, resigned his position to seek "new challenges." Four people remained on the park's board: Paul Crouch Sr., Jan Crouch, Paul Crouch Jr., and Matthew Crouch.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Line Feed posted:

"This is old, it probably goes here"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Shame Boy posted:

I mean, it's the loving hobby lobby bible museum, I'd be very surprised if this was meant to be an earnest attempt to show other artifacts from the region for cultural context or whatever.

e: Okay, to be fair the museum itself is at least trying to be kinda legitimate about it

Must be because it's in DC. I guess I'm just very used to bible museums and attractions here in The South doing poo poo like buying fossils to prove that actually people rode around on t-rex all Fred Flintstone style or whatever.

I'm a people riding with dinosaurs truther, Big Archeology is covering it up so we don't clone our dinosaur buddies and take away their funding. Take the chewable tablet pill

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

Like for example I drive by this... thing... sometimes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Land_Experience

I can only imagine it exists solely for baptist private schools to take incredibly disappointing field trips to because EPCOT is too multicultural or whatever.

e: Lmao that is some hilarious levels of nepotism

They have a free admission day every year but don't tell anyone what it is except for bible schools and homeschool groups right before it happens. I think it's the only time those people go because they're not even crazy enough to spend money on Holy Land Experience. The church groups usually bring it to capacity so godless heathens can't get in for free.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1420455402513240069

:airquote: free :airquote:

https://twitter.com/brycelarson/status/1420460158455623681

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The article reads like an ad for his company that sells these devices.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Can't wait for complimentary phone chargers and power sockets at coffee shops and airports and other public places to no longer be a thing because these fucks need to steal every possible resource ever anywhere so they can make negative eight hundred seventy dollars or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Hashing power, or hashrate, is an industry term used to quantify the amount of computing power a rig contributes to the overall bitcoin network.

I really hate how it's always framed as "computing power" or "solving complicated puzzles" or whatever. It's guessing a loving number over and over again in a wasteful way. That is what it does. That is it. It doesn't have "computing power", it can't "compute" at all because it's not a computer, it can do one thing and that is guess a loving number really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/AnemoneAndMe/status/1420540789734612992