Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's a quaint little former shoemaker's shop, lovingly painted and decorated by someone with a lot of time on his hands.

https://home.dk/boligkatalog/assens/5610/raekkehuse/korsgade_3_9110000406.aspx

This place is waiting for the eighties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm also remembering that case from, I think it was a year or two ago, in Canada, where someone hired someone to drill a well on their property, but they punctured the aquifer in an un-containable well and ended up flooding the property and a decent degree of the neighbourhood, in such a way that the contractor fled the country because it was such an immense shitfest they did not want to deal with.

Reminds me of the Fly Geyser.

Tried to drill a well, hit an artesian hot spring. Hasn't stopped spraying in a century.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Liquid Communism posted:

Tried to drill a well, hit an artesian hot spring. Hasn't stopped spraying in a century.

Should’ve contacted a doctor about a hundred years ago.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That looks infected.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

SkyeAuroline posted:

My first thought was "this is just an urban camouflage pattern on a building" and laughed.

My second thought was that the red-hatted person (?) on the very far left was a skeleton with a hat at first glance, and that had me more confused than the building did.

Looks like a mannequin to me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Youth Decay posted:

someone signed off on this thinking it looked good

Loss edits are getting pretty abstract.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

nm posted:

Did you call xcel? You know the ones actually doing (well contracting) the work? It isn't the government job to know exactly what they're doing, just make sure they have a permit.

It was Centerpoint. They didn't know either except that it was to replace some gas lines. They didn't know which ones. The project manager wasn't available and the scope of work wasn''t available on line. I gave up on that one after a few tries.

Seriously. Am I the rear end in a top hat for asking questions? They dug half my yard. Didn't tell me when or where before doing it. Didn't tell my neighbors where they were digging either. Didn't even have the courtesy to throw a rock at the window and see if someone was home.

I just don't like my yard dug up by some insane person without them asking nicely. I know they have right of way because of the gas line, but it's still polite to ask and inform.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You’re not an rear end in a top hat, you’re just going though a crack-ping moment most of the posters here have behind them is all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sounds like his city does a poo poo job of notifying residents. We got fiber to the house city-wide several years back, and there were multiple rounds of notices sent out before anyone showed up in our yard to start digging. Even had someone go door to door a few days beforehand to answer any questions, though I don't believe the city required that.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

Douglas Adams posted:

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I always thought it was 'leper'.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I got excited because that looks really cool and I wanted to see if you could go bathe in it like some sort of old timey hypochondriac plagued by ill humors. And um.

quote:

"Eruption height 5 feet (1.5 m) and growing
Frequency Constant
Duration Constant
Temperature 93.0 °C (199.4 °F)"

via wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Geyser

I guess you could bathe in it! But only once.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like the old saying, all mushrooms are edible. Some are only edible once.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

value-brand cereal posted:

I got excited because that looks really cool and I wanted to see if you could go bathe in it like some sort of old timey hypochondriac plagued by ill humors. And um.

via wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Geyser

I guess you could bathe in it! But only once.

There's a bunch of other hot springs in the area that are bathable, if that's your thing.

Some that aren't, and the only way to tell is with a thermometer, so don't go jumping into strange steaming holes in the ground.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And just as a heads up to people new to the concept of really hot springs, don't go looking for funny pictures or stories about mishaps to post here, they're all just legitimately sad

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve read about every case that happened in Yellowstone. It’s an awful way to go, up there with acute radiation sickness.

The other takeaway from Death in Yellowstone is that storms on Yellowstone Lake are sudden and fierce.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what

... what's the latch gonna do?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

what

... what's the latch gonna do?

Maybe it works like the lock on a sliding door and grips a metal plate?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LonsomeSon posted:

You’re not an rear end in a top hat, you’re just going though a crack-ping moment most of the posters here have behind them is all.

I had to go look that up, but it describes most dealings with the government accurately.

Not gonna lie, I kind of like the weirdness of that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Darchangel posted:

I had to go look that up, but it describes most dealings with the government accurately.

Not gonna lie, I kind of like the weirdness of that.

Some Willy Wonka poo poo right there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Put some different colors and more of them, it might look OK.

Liquid Communism posted:

That's what happens when someone finds out they enjoy a vibrator inside their urethra.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Worst ceiling I've ever seen. https://v.redd.it/vbmm8eq2c4d71

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m not scared of rats, but that’s some straight-up horror movie poo poo. One night of tiny footprints moving across the ceiling in low light would have me checked into a hotel for the duration.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why do they have a rubber sheet for a ceiling?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GotLag posted:

Why do they have a rubber sheet for a ceiling?

yeah, uh, what is that ceiling made of :psyduck:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's a stretch ceiling, apparently. Some kind of fabric stretched around a frame.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

That's the type of building that would have looked awesome as a CG rendering.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Seconding stretch ceiling. Apparently it's some alternative to a drop ceiling. That would explain the void above it big enough for an animal to run around in.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Gotta hire an elastic cat to live up there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You might remember some people freaking out about stretch ceilings during the Sochi Olympics, but it's not crappy construction. It's a way to get a S M O O T H ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkybnN8XdzM

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Woman’s boyfriend steps clean-through her apartment balcony, property managers say "You can use your balcony, just don't go near the hole."

Truly some common sense advice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Technically code-compliant in a really stupid way? I don't really know about regulations for minimum step depth but I assume that's what's going on since running that one step straight across would leave you with a section of the next one down being less than 1" deep

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress you, ankles!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Violence in Architecture

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm in awe.