Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
When I used to volunteer for the NDP, the campaign staff would be vehemently against ranked choice voting because they thought that all conservative voters would list liberals as their second choice and vice versa. While campaigning however I found that pretty racist blue collar people had the NDP as their second choice.

Edit: Honestly it was one of my most formative moments politically.

ToxicAcne has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a lot of people who work in organized labour are not necessarily people you might picture as ndp voters, but they probably could be

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Today while having lunch with the family we were discussing what we would do if we won the vaccine million, and I came up with a plot to use that money to get elected to office with whatever party, and then as soon as I'm elected switch to, like the Communist Party or something, instantly getting my name in the history books.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
aim for governor general instead. refuse to sign any capitalist legislation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pokeyman posted:

aim for governor general instead. refuse to sign any capitalist legislation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
my plan is to get citizenship then somehow appointed as a senator and be like a cantankerous lefty forever before ultimately helping to abolish the body

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
being a senator would be great

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ToxicAcne posted:

What's with all the hype around Avi Lewis running for the NDP? Many people online seem to think it signals a leftward shift in the party but his family has historically been from the moderate wing of the party, no?

I've known both Avi and Naomi in my years and they're both incredibly decent and caring people. Even if they ran as Liberals I'd hold my nose and vote for them, and it hurts me to see them attacked by the right wing as some kind of CanCon Soros proxy.

e: a general comment not targeted at ToxicAcne's post

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

jsoh posted:

being a senator would be great

Basically dream job. Get paid a gently caress load to work like, 5 hours a year, nobody actually knows what you're supposed to be doing, most people forget you even exist, and cushy retirement plan.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

MonsieurChoc posted:

Today while having lunch with the family we were discussing what we would do if we won the vaccine million, and I came up with a plot to use that money to get elected to office with whatever party, and then as soon as I'm elected switch to, like the Communist Party or something, instantly getting my name in the history books.

run on a platform of xenophobia and big business then keep up the charade while doing things like improving labour laws and crushing nazis

like you get a slogan that goes something like "canada for canadians" while optimizing the immigration system to make it easier for people to become canadian, push for "the job creators program" which is actually just cleverly worded UBI + rent control

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
There was a fire in a highrise in Vancouver which was started because the trademarked Vancouver ugly glass exterior acted like the giant magnifying glass sculpture in that Simpsons episode lol

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Continuing the tradition of death-ray highrises. Good for them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

There was a fire in a highrise in Vancouver which was started because the trademarked Vancouver ugly glass exterior acted like the giant magnifying glass sculpture in that Simpsons episode lol

what. do you have a link for this?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Nice

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/highrise-fire-in-vancouver-caused-by-magnifying-effect-fire-department-1.5524759

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

that's amazing, wow

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/highrise-fire-in-vancouver-caused-by-magnifying-effect-fire-department-1.5524759

E:fb, but still loving nuts. :psyduck:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
And that was the only folly the people of Vancouver ever embarked upon.

Except for the popsicle stick skyscraper.

And the 50 metre magnifying glass.

And that escalator to Alberta...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Turns out the leaking modulated condo combustion all along

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

At least 71 people caught COVID-19 at Calgary Stampede

quote:

That's seven cases per day, or a total of 0.01 per cent of 528,998 attendees, the Stampede said.

Dana Peers, the Stampede's interim CEO, said he feels the event, which ran from July 9-18, was a success despite the on-site transmission.

"We committed to operating safely, and these results show the effectiveness of the enhanced safety measures that were put in place," Peers said in a news release Tuesday afternoon.

quote:

"The Stampede has gone above and beyond when it comes to safety measures, and events across the country can learn a great deal," said Hu.

I just want to leave this somewhere, so we can quote and mock it endlessly in a month if we find out the Calgary Stampede was a terrible super-spreader event.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I just want to leave this somewhere, so we can quote and mock it endlessly in a month if we find out the Calgary Stampede was a terrible super-spreader event.

it’ll turn out the Stampede was one of the safer places cause all the COVID-positive Albertans are in BC this summer.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

BGrifter posted:

it’ll turn out the Stampede was one of the safer places cause all the COVID-positive Albertans are in BC this summer.

You might have been kidding, but gently caress if I'm not gobsmacked by this realization.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Dynamite the mountain passes.

Alberta delenda est.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

refuse wildfire fighting services to the the interior unless they bring up their vaxx rates while we're at it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo/status/1419814766718029824

temporary foreign worker firefighters

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Not like it's the first time. Let's see how long it takes for a scandal to come out this time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/south-african-firefighters-in-pay-dispute-leave-fort-mcmurray-1.3631385

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:discourse:
https://twitter.com/jtlonsdale/status/1420091417213427713?s=21

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

love me some word salad! mental roughage really cleans me out.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, Canada/America isn't fundamentally racist.

Says the guy who made the Niqab a wedge issue during his 2015 election campaign.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

At least 71 people caught COVID-19 at Calgary Stampede

And if it wasn't a terrible super spreader event? Will you show contrition or ignore it and continue to be a smug goon

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The world's on fire due to poo poo tier leadership but Stephen is laser focused on adolescent egos.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Yeah, Canada/America isn't fundamentally racist.

Says the guy who made the Niqab a wedge issue during his 2015 election campaign.

"Hello, and thank you for calling the Government of Canada's Barbaric Cultural Practices Hotline.
If you've seen someone wearing a niqab or burka, press 1.
If you've seen someone wearing a turban, and not as a fashion statement, press 2.
If you hear someone speaking another language and just assume it's about you, press 3.
For all other enquiries, please stay on the line."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Terror Sweat posted:

And if it wasn't a terrible super spreader event? Will you show contrition or ignore it and continue to be a smug goon

Lol oof

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Actually yes. But for the time being, I think the odds are in my favour: COVID-19 spreading faster in Alberta than during peak of 3rd wave

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Terror Sweat posted:

kinda depends on whether those cases came from one source or if that's spread out across the 10 days like the press release implies (but offers no evidence of)

unless "super-spreader" here just means "bad", in which case yeah it went about as well as anyone could hope! good job stampede, you're still poo poo but for other reasons

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
got my acceptance into the green homes grant today, thanks for the new windows canadian taxpayers

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

got my acceptance into the green homes grant today, thanks for the new windows canadian taxpayers

I kept forgetting to look into that for more details. So does it just cover up to $5000 (or whatever that value was), or is it X percent - up to $5k?

We're looking at getting solar panels, and if the gov't will cover the first $5k, then we'll do it now. If they're only covering 10% of the total cost, then there's no way we can afford it right now.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I kept forgetting to look into that for more details. So does it just cover up to $5000 (or whatever that value was), or is it X percent - up to $5k?

We're looking at getting solar panels, and if the gov't will cover the first $5k, then we'll do it now. If they're only covering 10% of the total cost, then there's no way we can afford it right now.

looks like you get $1k per kW, so you need a big enough system to get the full $5k? im not super up to date on solar panels

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

drat it open to midrise towers? These 40 year old windows really need to be changed out they leak terribly during the winter (well, always, just notice it then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The rate is different for each thing you decide to do, most of them are just some variation of X percent up to 5k, seems like most of them are around 20-40% though but I didn't check costs for every single one