Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love Stark's off-page adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, these mage staffs sure are something.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

0/10 Chapter, Fieran was not eaten by a mimic.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Surely you mean Fireran.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
That magic is legit incredible. Spotlessly clean clothes with no wear on the fabric? I'm genuinely jealous as hell. Legendary magic indeed.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
This comic is so good at interweaving character development/illumination with overarching themes. Frieren's collection of "unusual" magics makes a lot more sense now, not just as a personal eccentricity but also as a counterpoint to the court mages who haven't been able to move past the war or view magic as anything more than a martial tool. Even in an era of (relative) peace and prosperity, Frieren is derided for wanting to preserve practical magics that could actually be used to improve general quality of life.

I love how the rest of the Legendary Heroes (including in this flashback) have been consistently demonstrated to have perspectives on life that are considered unusual for their (or any) era. The comic even goes out of its way to repudiate the "chosen/born hero" archetype. They triumphed over an era of horror and constant battle because they had a clear vision for something better and didn't really care what anyone else thought -- nobody else could bring the new era about.

(Plus that essentially kind outlook had the beneficial side effect of spurring them to 100% all the sidequests and get totally overleveled.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im.waiting for Kraft to do the face
It will be glorious

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like how clone guy wasn’t in the everybody leaving town and going their separate ways montage.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Cutting girl will never tell anyone where the body is

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

pnumoman posted:

That magic is legit incredible. Spotlessly clean clothes with no wear on the fabric? I'm genuinely jealous as hell. Legendary magic indeed.

It even has a pleasant floral scent!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

This comic is so good at interweaving character development/illumination with overarching themes. Frieren's collection of "unusual" magics makes a lot more sense now, not just as a personal eccentricity but also as a counterpoint to the court mages who haven't been able to move past the war or view magic as anything more than a martial tool. Even in an era of (relative) peace and prosperity, Frieren is derided for wanting to preserve practical magics that could actually be used to improve general quality of life.

I love how the rest of the Legendary Heroes (including in this flashback) have been consistently demonstrated to have perspectives on life that are considered unusual for their (or any) era. The comic even goes out of its way to repudiate the "chosen/born hero" archetype. They triumphed over an era of horror and constant battle because they had a clear vision for something better and didn't really care what anyone else thought -- nobody else could bring the new era about.

(Plus that essentially kind outlook had the beneficial side effect of spurring them to 100% all the sidequests and get totally overleveled.)

It's showing actual development and progress in a fantasy world in the most believable way. I'm not joking about my admiration for the magic, doing laundry manually is insanely rough on your hands and back if you do it with any regularity.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just here to say Denken from start to finish was the star of this arc and the fact that he both won a fist fight with someone 1/3 his age, and actually had the balls to think about fighting someone vastly outside his wheelhouse are proof he'll live another couple decades if he feels like it. Imma miss that old man and I hope he shows up again in the future.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite aspect of denken is how he instantly and wordlessly adopted a granddaughter.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

denken kicks entirely too much rear end. the only thing this comic can do to disappoint me is never go back to denken.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite aspect of denken is how he instantly and wordlessly adopted a granddaughter.

he also became my grandpa too

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i would kill to make denken my grandpa

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Just here to say Denken from start to finish was the star of this arc and the fact that he both won a fist fight with someone 1/3 his age, and actually had the balls to think about fighting someone vastly outside his wheelhouse are proof he'll live another couple decades if he feels like it. Imma miss that old man and I hope he shows up again in the future.

Note that Richter is just a shopkeep/wand repairman living in Äuberst and probably doesn't know much about hand-to-hand combat. Denken totally carried their team in that 2v3 fistfight.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Chap 61

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 62

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Simple, short, and wholesome.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Up until page 17, sure.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Stark, caress your wife

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 63

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Finally, someone who realizes what sort of payment is appropriate for labor.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I love how practical a lot of the magic in this story is.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ThingOne posted:

I love how practical a lot of the magic in this story is.

That seems to be a major running theme. A lot of the magic Frieren collects is useless for combat, but has various mundane, normal, everyday applications. It seems that was the schism between her and the other elf mage in that Frieren was able to move past magic being used for combat only and see and enjoy it being used for normal everyday use.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It makes sense. You've got limited time on Earth so are you going to make a slightly better fireball or a spell that washes and sorts the dishes for you?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yes, this is that good poo poo, the small low-stakes one-chapter stories of lore and wholesome things happening

hero of the south kicks rear end

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The hero of the south lied to Frieran too. He didn't want to admit his real true power came from his sick mustache.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Seeing the future to be a fashion trendsetter AND hero

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm never a believer in fixed fate/future anyways. History and 'destiny' run on schrodingers cat/quantum physics not predestination.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We stan The Hero of the South

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
with Schlact and the Southern Hero both having future-seeing magic, I wonder if we'll get to see how/why they both went to this fight knowing it would kill them both.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pyronic posted:

with Schlact and the Southern Hero both having future-seeing magic, I wonder if we'll get to see how/why they both went to this fight knowing it would kill them both.

I wonder if it marked a point where both of them kept seeing that moment constantly changing as they try and change the outcome

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm guessing something involving time loops

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
They are the same PERSON.

I got nothing

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Pyronic posted:

It reminds me of the precog in Wrong Way to use Healing Magic, where she is just resigned to fate because too many things played out exactly how she saw it despite her efforts

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Pyronic posted:

I kind of feel like we already know the Hero's reasoning: he knew it would open a path to making Himmel's victory possible. In that light, he was fine with his fate.

As for Schlact, I vaguely recall from the Aura the Guillotine arc that demons, no matter their status or intellect, effectively have no free will and operate on instinct (such as their mana-based hierarchy). Schlacht may have been thinking no further than the opportunity to slay humans, particularly a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think the Demons were supposed to be P-Zombies with no internal life but who are externally indistinguishable in their behavior from people who have a sense of self.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie