Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh there are still occasionally meetings on Thursday afternoons but you better have a good reason and check with everyone ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I just started my new job on Monday and today had my first office/company-wide meeting to get some training on some stupid HR thing where you can give fake money to people to recognise their work. By my last count, roughly 1000 people were trying to get into this Teams meeting. Teams struggles with any more than about 200 people in a single meeting.

The first part was fine but was punctuated by literally hundreds of comments in the chat from people saying they were unable to join. The presenter either didn't notice them or decided to power through. He then tried to hand over to someone else and they either couldn't get in or didn't get off mute. This then led to literally 15 minutes of silence. Someone decided to come off mute and either loudly eat or let their dog lick their microphone. Then say "gently caress this". The presenter continued to stare blankly at the screen before apparently taking a phone call. The chat is now half "can't get in" and half "can't hear anything". Some brave soul comes off mute and suggests that we reschedule. Still nothing from the presenter, who is still on his phone. People start getting annoyed with the constant chat notifications and decide to spam "STOP SAYING YOU CAN'T GET IN WE KNOW".

I left after 25 minutes having learned absolutely nothing. I assume they'll reschedule.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

EvilHawk posted:

I just started my new job on Monday and today had my first office/company-wide meeting to get some training on some stupid HR thing where you can give fake money to people to recognise their work. By my last count, roughly 1000 people were trying to get into this Teams meeting. Teams struggles with any more than about 200 people in a single meeting.

The first part was fine but was punctuated by literally hundreds of comments in the chat from people saying they were unable to join. The presenter either didn't notice them or decided to power through. He then tried to hand over to someone else and they either couldn't get in or didn't get off mute. This then led to literally 15 minutes of silence. Someone decided to come off mute and either loudly eat or let their dog lick their microphone. Then say "gently caress this". The presenter continued to stare blankly at the screen before apparently taking a phone call. The chat is now half "can't get in" and half "can't hear anything". Some brave soul comes off mute and suggests that we reschedule. Still nothing from the presenter, who is still on his phone. People start getting annoyed with the constant chat notifications and decide to spam "STOP SAYING YOU CAN'T GET IN WE KNOW".

I left after 25 minutes having learned absolutely nothing. I assume they'll reschedule.

It was all a test and you failed. You're getting put on a PIP, buddy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

It's loving twitch chat :eyepop:

POST BONUS OR RIOT jajajajajajajajajaaja FinancialsHYPE

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I told my previous job (fully remote for a megacorp) I couldn’t do a big chunk of my work without a 2nd monitor. They just had me stop doing that work.

Lol in a previous dept management was so cheap and dysfunctional that having a second monitor was a status symbol. My request to bring an extra one from home was denied as I would be putting the company at risk of transmitting viruses over the VGA cable.

Meanwhile, our ever growing Communication team now has a podcast, newsletter, and updates about how we can practice mindfulness and meditation. Thankfully they didn't let something like "making no effort to notify a large number of employees that a critical support service will be down for several weeks" get in the way of trying to organize another flash mob (not making that up).

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

EvilHawk posted:

Doesn't matter still got paid

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Your internal comms department needs to be investigated by the shareholders.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Word is that our office is going back to mandatory masks starting tomorrow. The office on Florida is going to vaccinated people only. Chud co-worker started whining about masks and "You can't be afraid to live your life". I suspect I'll hear at least from my boss later because lol I went after his rear end and chud co-worker is pouting.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

Word is that our office is going back to mandatory masks starting tomorrow. The office on Florida is going to vaccinated people only. Chud co-worker started whining about masks and "You can't be afraid to live your life". I suspect I'll hear at least from my boss later because lol I went after his rear end and chud co-worker is pouting.

Please bait said chud coworker into saying something that creates a hostile work environment and ruin his life. Thank you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cthulu Carl posted:

Fast forward to DeSantis declaring that vaccine and mask mandates are illegal

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

goatface posted:

Your internal comms department needs to be investigated by the shareholders.

No disagreement here. Especially as they are ostensibly IT talent eating up headcount. Writing two paragraphs a month for an internal newsletter they have to bribe people to read should not make it harder to justify hiring for badly understaffed software teams.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ben shapino posted:

Please bait said chud coworker into saying something that creates a hostile work environment and ruin his life. Thank you.

Dude constantly puts his foot in his mouth so it shouldn't be too hard. The big hurdle is that he's such an obvious doofus that it's hard to take anything he says as seriously malicious.

I still laugh at the time he, a not even 30 year old man, tried to tell our 40 year old mother of three that tattoos might negatively impact her career prospects... As a dude with an uncovered full sleeve stood next to him telling our boss about his promotion.

That boy has friggin' terminal boomer brain.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

No disagreement here. Especially as they are ostensibly IT talent eating up headcount. Writing two paragraphs a month for an internal newsletter they have to bribe people to read should not make it harder to justify hiring for badly understaffed software teams.

Yeah, but that means admitting that he was wrong. You basically need someone two levels up to look at this and ask "what the gently caress, why"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'll never understand this poo poo. Do they say the same thing when they get in a car and see the driver put on their seatbelt?

Wearing a mask while I otherwise go about my life and do everything I was going to do anyway = living in fear
Being stuck at home (but without having to wear a mask!) because new outbreaks caused another lockdown = freedom

:thunk:

Anybody who's already completed one brand of vaccine considering getting the other one too because of these idiots? Just on the off-chance it gives you a few % better odds?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 28, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea my work just changed its PTO policy. Went from a standard accrual with up to 80 hours of rollover to use it or lose it. Even better is you can't massage the scheduling of it where you schedule PTO for January or February using this years PTO before the cut off point. My yearly ski trip is effectively canceled lol. 6 months into this job and I'm already looking for an exit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsW9MlYu31g

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

we like to schedule :)

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 28, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Imagined posted:

I'll never understand this poo poo. Do they say the same thing when they get in a car and see the driver put on their seatbelt?

Wearing a mask while I otherwise go about my life and do everything I was going to do anyway = living in fear
Being stuck at home (but without having to wear a mask!) because new outbreaks caused another lockdown = freedom

:thunk:

Anybody who's already completed one brand of vaccine considering getting the other one too because of these idiots? Just on the off-chance it gives you a few % better odds?

People were, and in fact some still sure, like this with seatbelts. The big talking point was saying that you would be "hurled free" of the accident, ignoring the parts that will happen outside the vehicle and you shattering the windshield with your face.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I'm promoting all my meetings to TURBOMEETINGS.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

AHH F/UGH posted:

You had 4 meetings in a whole month, noice

edit: also fark those daily scheduled meetings, how annoying

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Volmarias posted:

People were, and in fact some still sure, like this with seatbelts. The big talking point was saying that you would be "hurled free" of the accident, ignoring the parts that will happen outside the vehicle and you shattering the windshield with your face.

I've definitely heard dumb poo poo re: seatbelts. My paternal grandmother heard one story a thousand years ago about how someone was cut in half by their seatbelt and that was enough to convince her and my great aunt to never, ever wear seatbelts for their entire lives. Never mind any information to the contrary, or the logic of how no one would survive any accident sufficiently forceful for a seatbelt to cause such an injury no matter what they did.

But I was referring to the specific meme that you're "living in fear" or "not living your life" by taking basic precautions while continuing to otherwise do whatever. To me, "living in fear" regarding car accidents would be to refuse to ride in a car, or to only drive under 25 mph or something, as opposed to buckling your seatbelt and then proceeding with your life, which I would consider analogous to wearing a mask while you continue to go out into society.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Imagined posted:

I've definitely heard dumb poo poo re: seatbelts. My paternal grandmother heard one story a thousand years ago about how someone was cut in half by their seatbelt and that was enough to convince her and my great aunt to never, ever wear seatbelts for their entire lives. Never mind any information to the contrary, or the logic of how no one would survive any accident sufficiently forceful for a seatbelt to cause such an injury no matter what they did.

But I was referring to the specific meme that you're "living in fear" or "not living your life" by taking basic precautions while continuing to otherwise do whatever. To me, "living in fear" regarding car accidents would be to refuse to ride in a car, or to only drive under 25 mph or something, as opposed to buckling your seatbelt and then proceeding with your life, which I would consider analogous to wearing a mask while you continue to go out into society.

The D.A.R.E. officer at our school's husband was also a cop but wouldn't wear a seatbelt. She got us to all write him a letter about the importance of seatbelt safety. He opened the first one and the student had asked him to stop doing drugs or whatever it is you are doing, so he got confused about what she was telling us and his behavior didn't change. Good microcosm for D.A.R.E. as a whole.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've had 50 meetings so far this month. They've all been one on one or small group meetings that I was an active participant. For most of these meetings, I was the one organizing. Please kill me.

I didn't want this job. I didn't apply for this job. I'm not particularly good at this job. I think I deserve it in a twisted genie/perverted monkey paw kind of way.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 29, 2021

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Volmarias posted:

I think seatbelts were made mandatory where I lived sometime in the late 80's and there was all kind of crap talk about why you shouldn't wear seatbelts etc. I knew some of the "thown clear" people but oddly enough I also went to high school with a guy who was thrown clear and the car loving landed on him and he was a twisted mess in a wheelchair so that line of reasoning didn't really fly with me.

Sort of like arguing against motorcycle helmet laws when Gary Busey exists.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I have more respect for seatbelts/helmets/etc than vaccines, because it someone wants to kill *themselves* like a moron... well, it's their life.

Vaccine/mask is more of a community, risk-to-others thing, Ike drunk-driving.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

I told my previous job (fully remote for a megacorp) I couldn’t do a big chunk of my work without a 2nd monitor. They just had me stop doing that work.
I love stories of "false economy" so much.

Unless they're happening to me.

And of course they are.

In about half of our daily meetings, my manager insists on keeping the entire department of 20 people tied up for side discussions that take between 5-60 minutes that only require a few people with domain knowledge. I'd love to see a ticker counting up the money in salary wasted by my manager continuing to do this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just lol at any of you high drag low leverage knuckledraggers holding anything less than HYPERMEETINGS

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Jesus Christ, it's so low cost. Wtf is wrong with these capitalist companies, they can't even be capitalists right.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Jesus Christ, it's so low cost. Wtf is wrong with these capitalist companies, they can't even be capitalists right.

Penny wise, pound foolish, and whose budget are they going to come out of huh???????

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Software dude Joel Spolsky wrote this over twenty years ago: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/08/09/the-joel-test-12-steps-to-better-code/

He uses the specific example of not hiring QA testers as an example of "false economy" but the other example that immediately leaped out at me and stuck with me ever since was this:

quote:

At my last job, the system administrator kept sending me automated spam complaining that I was using more than … get this … 220 megabytes of hard drive space on the server. I pointed out that given the price of hard drives these days, the cost of this space was significantly less than the cost of the toilet paper I used. Spending even 10 minutes cleaning up my directory would be a fabulous waste of productivity.
Based on on those with business degrees who continue to demonstrate that they don't understand it, I can only assume its not taught although it's as critical as say, personal finances should be for the average high school graduate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Atopian posted:

I have more respect for seatbelts/helmets/etc than vaccines, because it someone wants to kill *themselves* like a moron... well, it's their life.

Vaccine/mask is more of a community, risk-to-others thing, Ike drunk-driving.
You can injure pedestrians or other car passengers by not wearing a seat belt or cause mental illness to first responders and family when you are pancaked in a completely preventable fatality. Can also include knock on social effects like loss of income for family (and corresponding loss of utility for employers). All early mortality prevention is inherently social.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

You can injure pedestrians or other car passengers by not wearing a seat belt or cause mental illness to first responders and family when you are pancaked in a completely preventable fatality. Can also include knock on social effects like loss of income for family (and corresponding loss of utility for employers). All early mortality prevention is inherently social.

Oh yeah I've never understood the mentality of not wearing one. You save a few seconds and maybe keep a wrinkle off your shirt? A relative was a volunteer EMT in a rural state who got in a head on crash with a wrong lane driver when responding to a call. Because no seatbelt it went from "cuts and bruises" to "20 years later time for another knee surgery."

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

zedprime posted:

The danger to the overall community is not remotely the same though c'mon now. You're dying on a weird hill here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/clapifyoulikeme/status/1420605773193822215

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Reminds me of that vintners apprentice job ad news agencies picked up and lead with "this winery wants to move you to Napa with a $100k salary" and it turned out you were a farm hand for 60 hours a week and would have to help with the wine processing and event planning beside that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

quote:

You're attention to detail is second to none.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Congrats, you passed the automated filter

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

Congrats, you passed the automated filter

I wonder if including a critique of job postings in your job application would ever result in a call back. Probably HR binning it immediately.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
99% sure that mistake is a deliberate test. Also 99% sure that place is some kind of cult

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

99% sure that mistake is a deliberate test. Also 99% sure that place is some kind of cult

Come to think of it a lot of workplaces try to create that sort of culty bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not sure if it's worse or better than that infamous it job posting