Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DRC will probably get Looting banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Pioneer is generally a boring lovely format quite apart from overpowered decks, the reason people aren’t playing it is because it isn’t any fun, and WOTC probably is just not wasting any development resources on a format nobody plays. RIP pioneer, you were a bad idea executed poorly.

i blame a lot of pioneer's lack of pickup on the pandemic and i think once in-play picks up & pioneer ends up on arena to live alongside historic being "arena modern" it'll get rejuvenated

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

DRC will probably get Looting banned.

That's a good point actually. I guess we haven't seen the two cards played together yet, or well I haven't anyway because I don't pay much attention to legacy.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i blame a lot of pioneer's lack of pickup on the pandemic and i think once in-play picks up & pioneer ends up on arena to live alongside historic being "arena modern" it'll get rejuvenated

I think it's lost its momentum and appeal with the playerbase. plus, modern is really fun to play right now, even though the cards are a bit expensive. paper play is picking up in a lot of places, but it's mostly modern.

now that paper has picked up, I'm probably not going to keep investing in historic. It seemed like a great format at times, but the economics make it really unappealing, especially compared to buying actual good modern cards to own irl. I don't mind spending some money on digital, but just let me get the cards like in those historic anthologies, drat. the jumpstart format is terrible for collecting cards, i'd mostly just have to straight convert money into WCs by buying packs of AFR or whatever.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Necronomicon posted:

This thread never disappoints as a place to see people go into absolute hysterics over new things WotC is doing with Magic. I think the new mechanics so far are fun and weird, and WotC have shown in the past that they're willing to ban the worst examples of wild new mechanics that get out of control. Also...it's a set of cards for one format. It doesn't mean Magic is turning into Hearthstone. That's just silly.

it does mean arena is leaning towards hearthstone bullshit though, which is what people in this thread have been actually saying.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"Modern is cheaper than Historic" is definitely a take

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's hard to say it's cheaper, but you get more for your money. actual cards that you own physically and can then sell if you want, maybe even to buy other cards.

whereas historic seems like they're just going to be adding infinite wc sinks every month and if you want, you can participate. seems really bad though, the economy in arena is hosed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I play Arena every three days and as a result, I have never spent any money on it. That's not really an option with paper Magic. I think Modern is a great format but I can't afford to build Jund.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

that may be for the better because jund has mostly been terrible for the last few years

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You can get any rare for 6 dollars on arena through wildcards, and mythic for 36. But honestly I'm always stuck with extra mythic wildcards and starving for rares so let's be kind and say 6*75 for any arena deck. That's 450. 2700 for 75 mythics.
The top 3 Modern decks according to mtggoldfish cost 1000, 1300, and 1700, so I'm going to say Historic is cheaper.
But since the pandemic most Modern costs 30 a month because that's what a rental is, so that's cheaper.
Also going infinite on MTGO and Paper is easier than arena because you can never turn cards back into currency.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hey mom its 420 posted:

it's hard to say it's cheaper, but you get more for your money. actual cards that you own physically and can then sell if you want, maybe even to buy other cards.

whereas historic seems like they're just going to be adding infinite wc sinks every month and if you want, you can participate. seems really bad though, the economy in arena is hosed.

Even if you wave away the part where you may not get market value on your cardboard if you want to divest yourself of a deck and the potential costs of shipping, packaging and labour spent actually selling your cards to prospective buyers (esp if you don't live in the US) you're still looking at like $1,000+ to start playing with a top tier deck in Modern which is a large sum for the average player to swallow just to try it out. At the same time you get more "use" out of a Historic collection because you can play Historic games any time of the day, any day of the week while Modern requires either playing in person, which is fine but a completely seperate experience or playing on MTGO which is kind of insane in 2021.

But also for some perspective saying the Arena economy is hosed is very strange when you're suggesting that blowing $400 on cardboard depicting fantasy lands is a good economy because you might be able to sell it back at that price when you're bored (but more likely just sit in a basement).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly, if WotC would let me toss them like.. let's say $30 a month to be comparable to MTGO rental services so that I could play whatever deck I want in whatever format is on Arena I'd play a lot more Arena because I love experimenting with terrible jank

But outside of that, magic is way more of a social game to me so I just don't really play online.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah, i guess it depends on what you value more personally. I also prefer playing in person and value physical cards way more over online ones. in paper, it's also possible to borrow cards that you're missing if you're into that, or just get a loaner deck from someone in the scene to try it out.

anyway, I wasn't trying to say one is cheaper/better than the other. just musing that I won't be investing money into historic anymore since they're putting in so many wc sinks that it just makes sense for me to spend money on paper because I like it more.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

flatluigi posted:

Modern is also not on arena and is doing fine. Pauper is doing badly because it sucks rear end, and it sucks rear end because it doesn’t really have a good reason to exist. Pioneer was invented to solve a problem that is completely artificial (“modern is too expensive”). Modern could be as cheap as WOTC wants because everything in it is reprintable; they’ve just chosen not to. So ultimately pioneer suffers from a lot of the same problems as modern (limited supply of key cards) but without modern’s upside (getting to play with powerful cards from arguably the best design era in the game’s history, roughly Ravnica through Innistrad).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

The Walking Dead crossover didn't kill Magic.

This thinking is why the Walking Dead Secret Lair will kill magic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anyway I hope digital-only cards means stuff like Crystaline Giant and Goblin Test Pilot that are as close to digital-only as possible already stop happening.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with this as long as it stays in Historic. The second you start seeing a couple of "digital" only cards released in Standard sets that are just excluded in paper packs and you will know poo poo is in trouble.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kraken Hatchling is a 0/4 for U.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

DangerDongs posted:

I'm fine with this as long as it stays in Historic. The second you start seeing a couple of "digital" only cards released in Standard sets that are just excluded in paper packs and you will know poo poo is in trouble.

Wotc profits (maybe just revenue?) was up %60+ in their earnings call a week ago, and It’s probably safe to say a big chunk of that was arena. There’s absolutely a tension that’s going to come into play where designers and the company as a whole won’t want to be restricted by papers limitations, but I don’t think that’s a conversation that’s going to get serious for like 5 or more years.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kraken Hatchling is a 0/4 for U.

I feel embarrassed to remember that just from having seen it played before

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It’ll happen sooner than you think because unless your LGS requires proof of vaccination to play then I think sanctioned play is gonna shut down again since the US gonna hit 200k cases in few weeks but what the gently caress do I know lmao

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Koirhor posted:

It’ll happen sooner than you think because unless your LGS requires proof of vaccination to play then I think sanctioned play is gonna shut down again since the US gonna hit 200k cases in few weeks but what the gently caress do I know lmao

Haha no way buddy, liberals in this country are convinced its back to normal bc we have a dem in the presidency. We're riding the covid express to a million

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mandatory lesbian posted:

Haha no way buddy, liberals in this country are convinced its back to normal bc we have a dem in the presidency. We're riding the covid express to a million

It's very likely you have brain cancer. Please seek help.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think the folks who won’t get vaxxed and are to blame aren’t usually liberal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

The delta strain infects vaxxed people! But i more mean the administration's constant backtracking on mask mandates and the soon to be up eviction stoppage is gonna cause it to get much much worse in america

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sickening posted:

no he said they "are convinced its back to normal", just like the regressives are

and since both parties agree there wont be another way

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I actually love this card.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

I actually love this card.

This could actually be doable in paper, right? As long as you had a checklist card, there's no hidden information. You have to reveal the merfolk or land you exile to prove you exiled the right card. It would even still work if you brainstormed it into your deck.

They could even print incredibly rare Tropical Island token cards with real backs!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

There aren't going to be any new lockdowns, there is zero political will for it. LGSs (and other businesses) may require proof of vaccination, whatever. If you're vaccinated and wearing a mask you're more than likely going to be fine. The uptick in cases are, as mentioned, because of unvaccinated people. Yes, you can get infected if you're vaccinated, but you're almost certainly going to have either extremely mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Check out the numbers on hospitalizations regarding those who've gotten stuck versus not.

Just get vaccinated, wear a mask, go to your LGS and play Magic. If you don't feel comfortable with that that's fine, but don't scold people because they aren't getting hysterical about the latest wave of infections.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I am going to slide in here and ask you to stop lockdown chat, please, because I fear it will go nuclear sooner rather than later.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

This could actually be doable in paper, right? As long as you had a checklist card, there's no hidden information. You have to reveal the merfolk or land you exile to prove you exiled the right card. It would even still work if you brainstormed it into your deck.

They could even print incredibly rare Tropical Island token cards with real backs!

Yes you could make something functionally similar in paper but it would more like garth one-eye. Also it can't be a token because tokens are only allowed to exist on the battlefield.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A Moose posted:

The main problem is that they never did "token cards" that can exist in your hand, graveyard or deck. Also they never did token lands, if I remember well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TipTow posted:

There aren't going to be any new lockdowns, there is zero political will for it. LGSs (and other businesses) may require proof of vaccination, whatever. If you're vaccinated and wearing a mask you're more than likely going to be fine. The uptick in cases are, as mentioned, because of unvaccinated people. Yes, you can get infected if you're vaccinated, but you're almost certainly going to have either extremely mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. Check out the numbers on hospitalizations regarding those who've gotten stuck versus not.

Just get vaccinated, wear a mask, go to your LGS and play Magic. If you don't feel comfortable with that that's fine, but don't scold people because they aren't getting hysterical about the latest wave of infections.

I went to go play for the first time in over a year on Sunday and the place was packed, no one wearing a mask. I was half way to a panic attack two steps past the door and went home.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

HootTheOwl posted:

I went to go play for the first time in over a year on Sunday and the place was packed, no one wearing a mask. I was half way to a panic attack two steps past the door and went home.

I would have done the same, but:

potatocubed posted:

I am going to slide in here and ask you to stop lockdown chat, please, because I fear it will go nuclear sooner rather than later.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

potatocubed posted:

I would have done the same, but:

My bad, I was more saying "I'm personally not ready to go back to magic" and not saying anything about lockdowns.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

YggdrasilTM posted:

The main problem is that they never did "token cards" that can exist in your hand, graveyard or deck. Also they never did token lands, if I remember well.

Token lands are doable (though you're right, never done), they just cause issues since lands are generally kept in pile so it's easy to forget they're there like after the game.

The rules already support bringing cards in from outside the game, I don't see why it couldn't be expanded to add arbitrary cards, but it would be a nightmare in practice, since it would need to be something indistinguishable from a card in hidden zones, meaning you'd need a stack of acceptable objects instead of whatever's handy, and you need to be sure to pull them out of whatever zone they're in when the game's over.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There are a few ways you can make token lands (in addition to turning creatures into lands) mostly in blue; Replication technique, Orvar, and Mythos of Illuma

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, if you use target an activated mutavault with an aether mimic all the token will enter as lands, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I suppose the game doesn't really have language for creating an object outside the battlefield that didn't start in your deck or sideboard. Like maybe if the Tropical Island cards existed in the command zone and got moved to your hand when you played that card, but they'd have to take up a sideboard slot. Which still might be worth it.

Also, does this mean Tropical Island is historic legal?