Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

More than welcome to keep this here, but I just wanted to let you know that there's also a job thread in The Cavern of COBOL. https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=202

Whoops, that’s where I thought I was for some reason. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Finland has a plethora of IT jobs available for non-Finnish speakers. See
https://www.businessfinland.fi/en/do-business-with-finland/work-in-finland

and

https://shortlist.net/finland-works-usa/

I can also answer at least some questions about the country and about working here.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ataxerxes posted:

Finland has a plethora of IT jobs available for non-Finnish speakers. See
https://www.businessfinland.fi/en/do-business-with-finland/work-in-finland

and

https://shortlist.net/finland-works-usa/

I can also answer at least some questions about the country and about working here.

This sounds neat, what are the months of winter and ice driving vs warmer months? What would commute times be during those sorts of days usually in the more urban areas, and is working remotely an option?

Usual cost of living in a city like Helsinki for an apartment? Houses available to rent?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Jiro posted:

This sounds neat, what are the months of winter and ice driving vs warmer months? What would commute times be during those sorts of days usually in the more urban areas, and is working remotely an option?

Usual cost of living in a city like Helsinki for an apartment? Houses available to rent?

Between November and March you must use winter tires "if the weather warrants it" (used to be a certain date by which they must be changed). The law states that you can use summer tires at that time if the conditions are especially favourable. Usually from October/ November to March-ish, depending very much on the place.

Commute during winter time isn't that much longer (unless you live out in the sticks) since roads are plowed/salted/gritted/etc regularily, but I'm not really super certain since while I do have a driving license I don't currently have a car. If you live in a bigger city a car isn't necessary unless you have kids. Depends very very much on where you live and what routes your commute takes. I commute to work with bus/subway and it isn't really affected by winter.

Working remotely is very much an option, since last March I have visited the office only sporadically and the attitude right now in the IT field is that even when the Corona is over mandatory office attendance won't be coming back, barring a very very hidebound company. I work for the state currently and it has been stated that full time remote will be ok for the IT people. And even before it when I worked for a cybersec company people coming to the office only randomly was not uncommon. For a bank or an another kind of company they might have frowned on it, but for IT firms not usually. Full time remote would have been a special case, but there were those too.

As for rental prices I pay a mortgage now so my knowledge isn't current, but this large rental property site: https://www.vuokraovi.com/?locale=en
Has places in Helsinki go from around 500€ (non-fancy areas, small 20 square meter flats) to 2000+ (big fancy places, houses).
There are also whole houses to be had for rent, but not as many as flats.

Also, the cities of Espoo and Vantaa are basically parts of the greater metropolitan Helsinki and prices there, especially Vantaa, can be much cheaper but still within 30 min commute by train or by subway.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Job Seeker

My experience: Mostly DevOps type stuff, building things in AWS, server admin (Windows/RHEL), IaC with Terraform, monitoring, Grafana admin, writing small bits of code in Python, Kubernetes deployments with Gitlab CI and Rancher, writing thorough documentation.

What I'm looking for: I'm actually not that picky about the work I do, I'm mostly concerned with who and how. But I like writing Python, I like working with non-technical people to gather requirements, and I like mucking about in the cloud (and would be perfectly happy learning another cloud provider). Would prefer a post startup company, larger in size is OK. Video games ok (I have work history in that space).

What I'm not looking for: 7x24 oncall. Defense/space. In person work in the Bay area or east of the Mississippi in the US. A discounted salary for working someplace cool.

Where I live: Seattle metro

Where I'm looking: Seattle metro or remote, especially if I can work remotely from outside the US.

When I can start: Usually within 2 weeks, but could potentially be less.

Requirements: FT, health insurance, good retirement options, office closure between Christmas and New Year's a big plus. Not being the only woman on the team/in the department also a big plus.

Can be reached via: PM

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
Crossposting from Cavern of Cobol

I'm in touch with a former manager who is looking to fill some frontend contracting roles for a large investment bank. No promises, but I can at least get your resume to the right person.

Languages: JavaScript/TypeScript, CSS, HTML, possibly a smattering of Python on the backend
Frameworks: React
Description of role: Internal application development for traders, management etc.
Contact/Link: PM

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Looking to fill several positions at my company. We are in Northern Virginia right off of the Dulles Toll Road in Reston. It's a great company to work for and I've personally found it to be one of the best in my career. Pay is pretty good too, not gonna lie.

Positions open:

Senior Network Engineer
Junior to Mid Level Network Engineer
Two Mid Level Linux Engineers
Two NOC Support Engineers

We do have work from home as an option but not fully remote as we need to be in the office at least twice a week, but this is flexible for things like long commutes and child care.

Clearances helpful but not required.

If interested, send me your resume at jason at teletran-one dot net and I will get it in front of the right people.

Thanks!

Nulldevice fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 28, 2021

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Nulldevice posted:

Looking to fill several positions at my company. We are in Northern Virginia right off of the Dulles Toll Road in Reston. It's a great company to work for and I've personally found it to be one of the best in my career. Pay is pretty good too, not gonna lie.

Positions open:

Senior Network Engineer
Junior to Mid Level Network Engineer
Two Mid Level Linux Engineers
Two NOC Support Engineers

Clearances helpful but not required.

If interested, send me your resume at jason at teletran-one dot net and I will get it in front of the right people.

Thanks!

Remote ok for these?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

air- posted:

Remote ok for these?

We have two days on site, but it's flexible. We have strict covid policies if that's a concern.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nulldevice posted:

We have two days on site, but it's flexible. We have strict covid policies if that's a concern.
But you still need to be local to the area, is what he is asking.
Id be asking the same, as those sound interesting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

But you still need to be local to the area, is what he is asking.
Id be asking the same, as those sound interesting.

Right! Not looking to relocate to that area and would be up for talking more for fully remote positions - imo every job ad nowadays should also be up front with remote options and it's the first question I ask

air- fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 28, 2021

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

air- posted:

Right! Not looking to relocate to that area and would be up for talking more for fully remote positions - imo every job ad nowadays should also be up front with remote options and it's the first question I ask

Good point about the remote options. I'll edit my post.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
No bites!

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 6, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I can get the full job spec now if anyone is interested. I realize "high end support, VIPs, in person" isnt necessarily anyone's favorite role these days but I think the salary is likely to end up at $150k USD, maybe higher. Good way to make a leap & also develop other skills - my experience with Sharepoint, azure, etc. has already shot up enough that I could probably just swing into a f/t gig for one of those.

It's busy but very not abusive & appreciative of your time / value. Since april I really havent worked more than 45 hours in any one week which is square enough to me on a contract/salary gig.

bus hustler posted:

They hired a guy alongside me in the UK who is not working out (he resigned to pursue a different track, not fired just to be clear on the culture) so my company has an opening for a high end "white glove" UK support person.

The main responsibility is supporting the users and the business, but the role is very jack of all trades. Fair amount of project work (I'm currently working on: Fly ile Server > SPO, Sharepoint on Prem > SPO, Quickbooks > Quickbooks Online, Conference Room Modernization, etc.) but I also have to image laptops, rack the occasional new server so the Swiss team can remote in and configure it, move or fix a VoIP phone, etc.

We are a private and somewhat exclusive financial company that is both a business and family office for a European billionaire. Privacy and discretion are extremely valued.

I do not have the job spec, but I can show you the one I was hired for (it's different as I am the sole person responsible for things in the USA, the UK and Swiss teams are larger).

Sorry for not having the format but we generally do not "post" jobs & will likely engage a talent finder for this role soon and I'm trying to get out in front, he just resigned yesterday. I enjoy working here so far, I find the people to be extremely competent and excellent communicators.

I can only speak for the USA but the expectations are very fair and the pay was life changing for me. This isn't a 24/7 situation where Mike from Finance is calling you coked up at 10pm. They've already sent me on 1 trip to a 5 star resort to support A/V operations (operate a laptop and projector).

PM me to speak more about it, would love to bring on someone with a good mindset. They pulled me away from a management gig and I've been really happy.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

bus hustler posted:

I can get the full job spec now if anyone is interested. I realize "high end support, VIPs, in person" isnt necessarily anyone's favorite role these days but I think the salary is likely to end up at $150k USD, maybe higher. Good way to make a leap & also develop other skills - my experience with Sharepoint, azure, etc. has already shot up enough that I could probably just swing into a f/t gig for one of those.

It's busy but very not abusive & appreciative of your time / value. Since april I really havent worked more than 45 hours in any one week which is square enough to me on a contract/salary gig.

PM sent.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

bus hustler posted:

What state/city in the US will this be located?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

DropsySufferer posted:

What state/city in the US will this be located?

London, UK. I am the only person in the US for the company right now. I listed the salary in USD because truthfully I have no exact idea what the UK employment contract looks like but well, I make that much.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

bus hustler posted:

London, UK. I am the only person in the US for the company right now. I listed the salary in USD because truthfully I have no exact idea what the UK employment contract looks like but well, I make that much.

So we would have to emigrate to the UK for this job. Which for that pay i am more then willing to do.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

At that salary I'd be down to move to London :drat: would they do visa sponsorship?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Typically IT UK salaries are way lower than US for a variety of reasons. Just because the job is 100k+ in the US does not mean it will be in the UK.

That said, there are paths to emigrate reasonably easily even if the employer doesn't want to pay for it. US->UK isn't too bad relative to other "immigrate to western country" paths.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

London is also hella expensive. I looked into it (for a different job).

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Lockback posted:

Typically IT UK salaries are way lower than US for a variety of reasons. Just because the job is 100k+ in the US does not mean it will be in the UK.

That said, there are paths to emigrate reasonably easily even if the employer doesn't want to pay for it. US->UK isn't too bad relative to other "immigrate to western country" paths.

KillHour posted:

even if its half of that is advertised that is still 2x what i make now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wargames posted:

even if its half of that is advertised that is still 2x what i make now.

Go for it. Just know you probably won't be suddenly rich.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

bus hustler posted:

:stare: godsdamn i wish I didn't have brainworms so bad that im losing my current job over it. I'd hit this in a heartbeat.

KillHour posted:

Yeah this is 100% something to look into. I just did and its a 1/3rd more expensive then living in a nearby city in s.yorkshire. :gonk:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Thyrork posted:

:stare: godsdamn i wish I didn't have brainworms so bad that im losing my current job over it. I'd hit this in a heartbeat.

Yeah this is 100% something to look into. I just did and its a 1/3rd more expensive then living in a nearby city in s.yorkshire. :gonk:

For UK Vs US I wouldn't be surprised to see his $150k be turned to £20-40k.

So when we say white glove in the UK....We mean you will die before disappointing your client(exaggeration, but not much. Think 5-star hotel concierge.) Actually I would recommend some serious background in hospitality.

"Outside of scope" does not exactly exist.

White glove is a very different standard of work from here in the US (I did the reverse and moved to the us and my salary is about 150. Also I can't do "white glove support" in IT. There is only so much sheer idiocy I can handle before my telephone voice becomes less chipper.

Unless of course the white glove description was an exaggeration?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We've all seen Black Butler. We get it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ffycchi posted:

Unless of course the white glove description was an exaggeration?

If they're working for a billionaire, I'm sure it's not.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pretty sure being white glove but for a single person is a whole different world than white glove for hire, if that makes sense

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Job Seeker

My experience: Mostly been doing help desk. But I have been in a network admin role for a while.

What I'm looking for: I'm actually not that picky about the work I do, But would like to move beyond help desk.

What I'm not looking for: 7x24 oncall.

Where I live: Jacksonville FL

Where I'm looking: Local Florida or remote

When I can start: Usually within 2 weeks, but could potentially be less.

Requirements: FT, health insurance, good retirement options.

wargames fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 16, 2021

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Job Seeker

My experience: Technical film industry, trying to get into IT. Working on A+ cert, finding I already know a lot of it. I'm 30something and trying to switch careers, yay!

What I'm looking for: Remote entry level or just above that. I think ultimately I want to go into infosec, but also curious about network/systems architecture

What I'm not looking for: 7x24 oncall

Where I live: Los Angeles, CA

Where I'm looking: Remote only

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: FT/PT

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

RFC2324 posted:

pretty sure being white glove but for a single person is a whole different world than white glove for hire, if that makes sense

That can depend. I'm more pointing out the difference in the cultural aspect of the phrasing.

White glove in America has less severe connotations.

If the advertisement was as quoted by British, then it's a different level than if quoted by Americans.

I work at a place(in the US) that says on their website that they are a white glove service.

It's not white glove(British meaning).

That's my only point.

Inept posted:

If they're working for a billionaire, I'm sure it's not.

Which was actually my point hahah

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
JOB POSTINGS:
Company is growing a TON, and hiring a ton of folks, over a dozen open positions, most of which are NEW/growth. NO PERMANENT REMOTE, sorry. All of these positions require obtaining WA state residency within 45 days of hire, and could be expected to work some/all days in the office in Bellevue, WA once the office reopens post-covid (current ETA is late 2022).

Who we are: Bungie - a video game developer. We used to make Halo, and now we're making Destiny 2 (and other projects). We have over 1000 employees, and millions of players worldwide.

Where we are: Bellevue, WA. (remote to start, but must be willing to establish WA residency within 45 days, these are NOT permanent remote positions)

What we're looking for, in order of experience/seniority:
Support Team: (this is our helpdesk + basic support department)
Product Support Technician - roughly tier 2 helpdesk, multiple spots open
Associate Systems Admin - mostly system support + light tier 3 helpdesk
---
Sys Admins Team: (this is admin/maintenance/project-focused, most of these are available as either sys admin or senior sys admin levels)
Sys Admin (Networking focus) - this is working on switch configs, new switch deployments, firewall policy updates, etc
Sys Admin (Atlassian focus) - this is helping with JIRA and Confluence expansions and migrations and configurations
Sys Admin (Virtualization focus) - this is mostly VMware (migrating from HyperV), making VMs, doing migrations, tracking capacity
Sys Admin (Source control) - working with Linux and VCS systems (Perforce and Git) and their day-to-day stuff
Sys Admin (General focus) - no specific focus area, just general IT knowledge
---
IT Engineering Team: (this is design/project-focused, currently only senior-level positions available)
Senior IT Engineer (Networking/Storage focus) - this is designing network layouts, writing configs for new sites, working with IPSEC, OSPF and some light BGP, etc, also some storage infrastructure (both for storage networking and the SAN/NAS themselves)
Senior IT Engineer (Endpoint/Microsoft focus) - this is focused on endpoint management, like Microsoft Endpoint Manager, Intune, etc

Salary/Benefits: The IT salaries at Bungie are competitive for the area. The benefits at Bungie are awesome, and the best I've had in my career.

Partial list of benefits cribbed from our Careers site:
  • Competitive salaries with other robust cash incentives
  • No WA State Income Tax
  • Excellent Domestic and International Relocation Assistance
  • 401(k) Dollar for Dollar Matching up to 6% with No Vesting Period
  • Generous Paid Time Off plan for vacation, sick days, personal wellness, and floating holidays (seriously, a lot of paid time off)
  • Comprehensive Health Insurance for Employees and Dependents (seriously, good insurance)
  • Paid Parental Leave and Back-up Child Care
  • Sometimes, you get to play video games at your desk all day
  • Very casual environment and team
  • And way way more...

Questions?: PM or email me at madsushi /at/ gmail.com
I'm happy to talk about the roles or the teams, and answer any questions.

Goons hired from this thread: 1, and counting

madsushi fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 17, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Would you be able to give a rough estimate of what a Product Support Tech makes in a year vs what cost of living in Bellevue/area is?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

madsushi posted:

JOB POSTINGS:
Company is growing a TON, and hiring a ton of folks, over a dozen open positions, most of which are NEW/growth. NO PERMANENT REMOTE,
Associate Systems Admin - mostly system support + light tier 3 helpdesk
---
I'd apply if it was full remote. No interest in Seattle after the BS last summer. Would could do CDA/Spokane...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I'd apply if it was full remote. No interest in Seattle after the BS last summer. Would could do CDA/Spokane...

:same: only willing to go for full remote positions considering how the job market is so hot right now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I would love that atlassian position if it was remote. Shame about the regressive hiring policies(shared by most companies still)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

even if its regressive home policy and i have to move across the country it probably pays more then where i am at and i NEED a change.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wargames posted:

even if its regressive home policy and i have to move across the country it probably pays more then where i am at and i NEED a change.

Do it goon! Do it! And good luck!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Do it goon! Do it! And good luck!

I talked with sushi and applied for teir 3 helldesk and the network admin, i am going to try and push hard for the network admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

My team is hiring for a bunch more positions.

Who we are: A non-profit charter school management organization operating 55 schools in 3 states. Home office is located in NYC although most of us are remote right now obviously.

If you're interested in applying for any of these roles, PM me and I'll send you my referral link!

I'm also happy to answer any questions about the organization, atmosphere, team personality, etc. I've been here almost 3 years and I'm very happy here.

Open Positions

Analyst, IT Support
As a member of the IT Support team, the Analyst will be the first line of support for our core technology applications, in particular, our student information system, PowerSchool. As the face of the Support Team, the Analyst will use a customer service mindset, critical thinking, and excellent communication skills to ensure a smooth tech experience for our school staff.

*Note: This was my position for my first 3 years until I was promoted last month. It's a great entry level job if you're interested in EdTech Support

DevOps Engineer
We are seeking a skilled Dev Ops Engineer with experience in building and supporting a data warehouse, cloud adoption plans, cloud application design as well as cloud management and monitoring! Additional responsibilities include support for application architecture and deployment in cloud environments. This role will act as a domain specialist on our enterprise architecture and cloud environments!