Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The part that annoys me the most is that three of the books we're still waiting on are the TAG book, the ship book, and the tech book. Why the hell are these at the back of the line?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
One of these days I'll get to go to DwarfCon and get my stein from Axes and Anvils.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20&t=10s

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maybe their redefined strategy shouldn't have been "fail as hard as possible"?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I would love to know how licensing for something like this works. Wouldn't they be out a huge amount of money already just for having to purchase a WoW license, never mind all the other work/money that clearly went into the kickstarter?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I would love to know how licensing for something like this works. Wouldn't they be out a huge amount of money already just for having to purchase a WoW license, never mind all the other work/money that clearly went into the kickstarter?

Licensing works however the parties agree to have it work. Royalties and up front fees can be tied to specific events, such as the success of the KS. A large license fee with a lower royalty rate usually favors the IP holder, but it's not the only way to do it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

homullus posted:

Licensing works however the parties agree to have it work. Royalties and up front fees can be tied to specific events, such as the success of the KS. A large license fee with a lower royalty rate usually favors the IP holder, but it's not the only way to do it.

I would say that paying a license fee up front and expecting to cover it via Kickstarter is a fairly stupid idea, but *waves hands at the Project.*

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
When I worked in Blizzard licensing they didn’t require up front fees or minimum guarantees. The early licensors made buckets of money. I have no idea if that’s changed in the last ten years.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

When I worked in Blizzard licensing they didn’t require up front fees or minimum guarantees. The early licensors made buckets of money. I have no idea if that’s changed in the last ten years.

That's kind of eye opening. I always just assumed there was always going to be a huge upfront cost for high value IPs.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

InternetJunky posted:

That's kind of eye opening. I always just assumed there was always going to be a huge upfront cost for high value IPs.

The philosophy at Blizzard at the time (this was when WoW was at it's height and making unimaginable amounts of money) was that they wanted cool schwag from quality companies more than licensing dollars. The licensing and product development team basically paid for itself but didn't make much more than that. We reported up to Metzen, and he shielded us from a lot of the Activision bullshit, but now that he's gone I'm sure the accountants have taken over.

Now I work on the licensor side with multiple AAA IPs, and we have minimum guarantees with them all, so Blizzard was an anomaly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Jamey's openness about tabletop business and dollars is one of the most valuable things to come out of SG's success, especially stuff like nitty gritty about how much art costs and such.

https://stonemaiergames.com/exactly-how-much-does-a-kickstarter-campaign-cost/

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

Jamey's openness about tabletop business and dollars is one of the most valuable things to come out of SG's success, especially stuff like nitty gritty about how much art costs and such.

https://stonemaiergames.com/exactly-how-much-does-a-kickstarter-campaign-cost/

Anyone wanting to run a tabletop kickstarter should first read every blog post from Stonemeir games. I avoided a lot of mistakes and pitfalls because I read about them first.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Earthborne Rangers just launched.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/earthbornegames/earthborne-rangers/description

I dunno, $150 (before adding unlisted shipping amount) for just cards is... steep.
Sure, the core set is $80, but if you're backing it, you're probably gonna want to go all-in.

Guess it's the premium for the whole "sustainability" angle plus the increase in production/shipping costs. I think I'll skip.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/earthbornegames/earthborne-rangers/description

I dunno, $150 (before adding unlisted shipping amount) for just cards is... steep.
Sure, the core set is $80, but if you're backing it, you're probably gonna want to go all-in.

Guess it's the premium for the whole "sustainability" angle plus the increase in production/shipping costs. I think I'll skip.

This looks cool but yeah it also looks expensive. The designer has bona fides in various LCGs, including Arkham, and it sorta shows. One of the add ons even seems to be the equivalent of getting another core set's worth of cards.

Arkham Horror is a cool LCG though, so hm.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

JazzFlight posted:

If you read more deeply into it, part of the cost is that he's planning on printing locally for various distribution areas (US, Europe, Asia) rather than relying on the uncertainties of shipping costs. To me, it's not just a "sustainability"/production/shipping premium; it's a "reality" premium.

I've got REAL concerns about backing any KS right now that doesn't otherwise directly address the real issues in the supply chain right now because I guarantee that they're either going to be even later or more expensive than what they're currently promising. And that's if they fulfill at all.

In theory, I'd like to back them just for being real, but the game has me uncertain on it right now, especially without a rulebook. Suppose we'll see.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

GrandpaPants posted:

... One of the add ons even seems to be the equivalent of getting another core set's worth of cards...

That point there is when I tuned out and clicked the close button. I don't want to get into another money-pit lcg. It does look fun though, too bad.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

If you read more deeply into it, part of the cost is that he's planning on printing locally for various distribution areas (US, Europe, Asia) rather than relying on the uncertainties of shipping costs. To me, it's not just a "sustainability"/production/shipping premium; it's a "reality" premium.

I've got REAL concerns about backing any KS right now that doesn't otherwise directly address the real issues in the supply chain right now because I guarantee that they're either going to be even later or more expensive than what they're currently promising. And that's if they fulfill at all.
Yeah, I always complain about this as well so I guess I need to put my money where my mouth is.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

JazzFlight posted:

This looks like the board game equivalent of a walking simulator.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah I'm tempted by this, I love the theme. But ugh that's a little steep.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

yegods posted:

That point there is when I tuned out and clicked the close button. I don't want to get into another money-pit lcg. It does look fun though, too bad.

Yup. I'm not sure how they spotted the multiple core set required problem and didn't try to fix it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
They did! You pay for the $150 version and it's fixed :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Impermanent posted:

They did! You pay for the $150 version and it's fixed :)

Man that's a huge upfront cost for 'Just Cards'

The dev team seems to have a good pedigree for the genre at the very least.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Soooooo Deluxe Board Game Train Sets posted an update with samples.

How it started

How it's going

Oof..

The Yellow Hornet trains in particular look like loving US school buses

quote:

3) Why don't the trains look glossy like the computer renders on the Kickstarter page?

When we began this project, we thought it would be feasible to produce the trains with a glossy finish. However, major price increases in the cost of plastic, tin, factory labor, and (subsequently) international freight have made adding a glossy finish economically impossible at the price point at which we've offered these sets. We didn't want to charge any of our backers more money or delay the project, so we've decided to forge ahead with the "matte" finish you see here.

Besides much higher costs, when we dug into this subject more, we realized that high-gloss plastic finishes are a poor choice for objects, like miniature trains, that are going to be touched a lot. High gloss plastic = lots of visible fingerprints and body oil. If you've got glossy plastic surfaces in your car or on your cell phone case, you know what we're talking about; they get ugly and dirty fast. It's one thing to wipe down a cell phone or center console, but it's another thing to wipe down 240 trains. The great thing about a non-glossy surface is that fingerprints and oil don't show!
I feel like they should have asked backers what they wanted - Which is a resounding "Give me gloss"
Trying to spin this as the better option doesn't look great.

Seriously considering requesting a refund.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Infinitum posted:

How it started

How it's going

Oof..

I feel like they should have asked backers what they wanted - Which is a resounding "Give me gloss"

Given the choice between something that looks good but deteriorates if not cared for or something that never looks good, I assume most wouldn't pick the latter.
I feel like if they had designed them based on the limitations they could have made them look good, but this just seems like a lower resolution without caring how it actually looks.

Outside of the black train they mostly look like they are just fancy erasers rather than models,

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

This is worse than the Terraforming Mars Big Box tiles. I'd definitely request one.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Infinitum posted:

How it started

How it's going

Oof..

They really should researched better before launching the KS. Only subsequently announcing that you can't make the pieces you promised is bad.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 28, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Wow , I'm glad i neglected the pledge manager and never got around to upgrading to the all-in tier. I might still grab a set of the black ones, since those look okay matte, but the green ones in particular look dire

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Infinitum posted:

How it started

How it's going

Oof..

That's pretty bad. When was that KS started? The price of plastic and such has gone up since the pandemic started. Maybe they weren't expecting that (who could?) if they started before the pandemic.

E: It started (or at least made its goal) April 6, 2020, and I'm sure they started planning well before that, so it sucks, but it does make sense.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 28, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doctor Zero posted:

That's pretty bad. When was that KS started?

April 6th 2021 (ended Apr 29th)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh wow those yellow ones are. 100% school busses.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tiny plastic trains? Complete fingerprint magnets, those are. Everyone knows that.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Tiny plastic trains? Complete fingerprint magnets, those are. Everyone knows that.

yeah. its 💯 after the fact justification for now wanting to spend the money

some of the other pics the non yellow trains look better, though i think no amount of machine painting can save the school bus

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi, I had an unknown charge for a few cents on my card and looking up info on the charge brought me to a thread from 2020 talking about a data leak somewhere that resulted in a bunch of discover cards being hit for penny charges. I guess that's happening to some other cards now. I only ever used this card for steam purchases, drivethrurpg, and kickstarter/pledge managers, so there's a good chance that a data breach could have something to do with kickstarter. I don't know 100% if it's because of them or because of a particular pledge manager or a specific merchant (idk how much of the card information is shared between the KS and merchant or the pledge manager and merchant) but probably worth checking to make sure you don't have any odd charges for only a few cents.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've just requested a refund via Backerkit as I late pledged, literally the first time I've done that on a Kickstater project.
All up I dropped $123 AUD on them with shipping, but what they showed doesn't reflect the premium price point I paid - this isn't Deluxe.

Like I 100% understand and appreciate that prices have gone up, but I feel that the decision to go matte without input on backers about it and then trying to spin it as A Good Thing wasn't the correct way to approach this.

It's not a huge thing, but another part of the update that left a bad taste in my mouth was that they finished with this link https://giphy.com/clips/rickandmorty-season-4-rick-and-morty-s4e7-laSq9MHF5GC5POOxnT
Like.. I get that it was meant to be in jest, but don't present your backers with an update about a downgrade and then tell them that all they're good for is spending money.

I can't unsee the Yellow train as a US School Bus :cripes:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I don't know why this was treated by goons any differently than a kickstarter with only model renders. They're commonly dismissive of high model count games and such.

Oh wait, I know why: TRAINS.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
They should have talked to 9th Level, the trains in Empyreal are really nice.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

gschmidl posted:

This is worse than the Terraforming Mars Big Box tiles. I'd definitely request one.
What happened with those?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What happened with those?

Promise:

Reality:

Also the box is very badly designed: sometimes doesn't hold sleeved cards of the optionally purchaseable sleeves, doesn't hold the assembled tiles, and at one point just gave up and added two "just ditch the rest in here" wells (while providing a dedicated well for the optional-buy first player marker to waste space). There's like a dozen STLs for organizing the stuff they were too lazy to organize in their own Big Box on Thingiverse.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 28, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh wow those aren't even anywhere near "reddish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow those aren't even anywhere near "reddish"

I was going to go find Fryxelius' "well ACTUALLY Mars is kinda yellowish" excuse but instead found the fuckup thread has been expanded by "my tiles are falling apart" and "the sleeves split when you try to shuffle the cards".

...oh, and they accidentally packed the metal cubes separately. No, separately.

e: found a close-up