Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Eggplant Squire posted:

Who was it before the lazy photoshop?

Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Trump_hugging_flag.png

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i like your shirt

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LMAO

Sorry about your stolen valor :(

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol those suburban republicans who hated trump are going to go right back to voting republican

I live in a county that voted McCain, Romney, Clinton, Biden. there's tons of republicans out here who didn't like trump because supporting trump was like a sign you were a rural redneck, and democrats did pick up a House seat.

all of the "hate has no place here" and "in this house...." signs are gone. they're going to go right back to voting for the chamber of commerce republican as soon as there's one running again

Democrats are improving their numbers in the suburbs every year consistently but it’s a much slower process then the party is hoping for. So the republicans in the suburbs who voted for “not trump” in 2020 obviously won’t do it next year, but maybe they will again if trump is the 2024 nominee.

Meanwhile democrats are getting curbstomped in rural areas and the enthusiasm gap for black voters in cities, and everywhere really, isn’t doing them any favors.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

The Nastier Nate posted:

Democrats are improving their numbers in the suburbs every year consistently but it’s a much slower process then the party is hoping for. So the republicans in the suburbs who voted for “not trump” in 2020 obviously won’t do it next year, but maybe they will again if trump is the 2024 nominee.

Meanwhile democrats are getting curbstomped in rural areas and the enthusiasm gap for black voters in cities, and everywhere really, isn’t doing them any favors.

yes but have you considered demographics are destiny

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

could it be that these two statements are somehow related

no it's probably fine

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

in other california recall news

https://mobile.twitter.com/kronayne/status/1420152877306183686

newsom continues to be hilariously incapable of reading the room for like his tenth covid hypocrisy public relations fiasco in the last year

"we noticed our kids before someone else did, promise!" lol:

quote:

“The Newsoms were concerned to see unvaccinated children unmasked indoors at a camp their children began attending yesterday and after seeing this, removed the kids from the camp,” Erin Mellon said in an email. “The family reviewed communication from the camp and realized that an email was missed saying the camp would not enforce masking guidance. Their kids will no longer be attending this camp.”

Two of Newsom’s four children, ages 10 and 11, attended the day camp, Mellon said. Her statements came after Reopen California Schools, a group that promotes full school reopening without masks, tweeted Monday it had obtained photos of one of Newsom’s sons at the camp.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone said "Ed Buck Breaking" yet?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/mtsw/status/1420394482680274945

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Newsom seems like the guy to really pin out hopes for better medical care on :hmmyes:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eggplant Squire posted:

Just lol at that guy being smug at Briahna because he supports BLM.

and "universal healthcare," a phrase that's been meaningless since obama distorted it to mean "mandatory purchase of private insurance with massive out-of-pocket costs or you pay a fine "

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

and "universal healthcare," a phrase that's been meaningless since obama distorted it to mean "mandatory purchase of private insurance with massive out-of-pocket costs or you pay a fine "

Plus "economic justice"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Democrats would rather sacrifice every single one of their professed virtues for the HOPE of a single Republican vote than make any concession to the left

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sexpig by night posted:

This has been covered a lot before, but two things the US knew just before they dropped the bombs:

1. Japan had done really nasty to the last man fighting in the islands the US had taken already, and was fervently pushing their people to think that they'd be slaughtered if invaded so they needed to fight to the end.
2. Amphibious landings are really hard and take a lot of equipment and expertise that the Soviets had not developed.

By contrast, they didn't really know how far Japan was from surrendering or how much the people would back their leadership in an invasion. The US being pretty racist about Japan actually did a lot to cement the idea that they were going to keep fighting like robots unless really shocked out of it, regardless of the actual truth of it. They sure as gently caress hadn't thought through the long-term implications of MAD and nuclear apocalypses.

The US didn't make so many Purple Hearts in advance of the invasion of Japan that we're still issuing them today for funsies.

Now, none of this is saying that the atomic bombing of Japan was necessary, much less good. Just that it's really important not to confuse what people involved in the Pacific War thought and did at the time with their "couldn't there have been another way?" musings decades later deep into the cold war.

I really like point 2 because the soviets did tons of amphibious operations during ww2, including invasions of Japanese held islands in the Kurils during August storm

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Stringent posted:

the cool part about them even attempting to discuss the japanese government in ww2 is, at least according to two different books i've read on it, the one consensus that experts do agree on is that literally no one, probably including the members of the japanese government themselves, really had any loving idea what was going on or who or what was in charge from the lead up to ww2 all the way to the end.

it's probably one of the most confusing subjects in modern history and these freaks from a dunning kruger exhibition think they can discuss it intelligently.

the army and navy ministers were basically the ones in charge because they could collapse the government at any time by throwing a hissy fit and resigning

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

*academicishly* U can't just blockade mainland japan until they peacefully surrender, you have to nuke them into oblivion, otherwise they will come under the Soviet Influence and we won't have a Buffer State and Trade Partner after the war

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

StratGoatCom posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to red all organs of goverment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdHvpaOB8pc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m listening to NPR present what they say is compelling testimony that proves January 6 was a big deal that was violent and not a tourist tour like conspiracy theorists would have you believe. The police, paragons of patriotism they l worship, tearfully shuddered as they recounted horrible incidents like someone’s thumb accidentally poked them in the eye and one of them was pretty sure they heard a racial slur. More afraid than any day in Baghdad.

These things are repeatedly banged into your head as being evidence that January 6 was a violent, traumatic battle against a heavily armed invading force. lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's because they're debate club nerds and this is the exact kind of masterstroke you'd pull out on another unprepared high schooler at a competition: "oh yeah well the state and local funding in HR69 kept cities from having to cut police budgets, so it's really the Republicans who voted to defund the police" and it throws the other kid off balance and you take home the varsity trophy.

That's how they think elections work, that there are imaginary judges who will go "ah ha clever riposte linking the stimulus to police funding, 99 points to Gryffindor!" rather than it being a matter of convincing real human beings who know drat well which party backs the cops and are backed by cops in return

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Things up to debate in D&D: Maybe the nuclear strikes on Japan were acceptable, y'know, maybe, if you think about it.
Things not up to debate in D&D without immediate ban: Any conversation that's skeptical of the Uyghur genocide.

Like, are the Japanese less human than the Uyghurs or something?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got threadbanned (forumbanned maybe?) yesterday for saying the FBI should be disbanded lol.

same mod who previously probated me for calling the camps on the border "concentration camps," very curious

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i got threadbanned (forumbanned maybe?) yesterday for saying the FBI should be disbanded lol.

same mod who previously probated me for calling the camps on the border "concentration camps," very curious

As you should be, the FBI is the last line of defense, that protects all Americans from FBI terrorist plots.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

DING DING! Mod in the house! Modding hat on. You’ve been laughed out of academia

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

docbeard posted:

In This House We Believe:
Black Lives Matter
All Are Welcome Here
Except You
Get Off My Property
I'm Calling The Police
The Good Police Though, Not The Bad Ones

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos
Mod hat on. Mod hat off.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

saw these linked today. they are from this week
I guess we're still doing this

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1418742283835305989

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1418740877552492544

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Eggplant Squire posted:

Newsom seems like the guy to really pin out hopes for better medical care on :hmmyes:

the guy is on the verge of losing his recall right now lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lobster shirt posted:

can political leaders help to shape public opinion? no of course not, they can only bow and give in to every stupid reactionary belief that suburb-brained upper middle class dipshits have.

the scary thing is I genuinely think they 100% believe that unironically, they're not just trying to own leftists they really somehow still think the duty and role of an elected official is to be a mindless vessel for the current reactionary current in their area.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

quote:

It's insane to me that so many here actually believe it (or did last year at least) that you can't be sure. Kraftwerk made an extremely good post that's perfectly reasonable but so many on the left let the perfect be the enemy of the good. This dynamic in the left is, IMO, extremely childish. Of course we all wanted better than Biden, but throwing a tantrum and taking our ball home about it is only going to make things worse. The world is not what we want it to be, but Kraftwerk lays out a feasible, and most importantly, realistic plan to get there.

Well, pack it up goons. I am once again reminded that pointing out that Biden is a garbage person with garbage policies and credible accusations of rape against him actually makes us stupid babies who are pooping in our stupid baby diapers.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

the guy is on the verge of losing his recall right now lol

I don't think it will actually happen but that would be so loving funny

It owns that California has a system where you can just say "no gently caress you" to any elected official, shame about how it's bundled alongside a hilariously stupid method for choosing a successor

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Excelzior posted:

Democrats would rather sacrifice every single one of their professed virtues for the HOPE of a single Republican vote than make any concession to the left

Adults compromise, but not with children.

Which is why we need the serious and earnest Right to compromise with us, despite their childish protestations, but can ignore the left, who are mere children pretending at being serious and earnest

That we are the adults in the room is never questioned

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Catpetter1981 posted:

The problem with defund the police is simpler, the Democratic base doesn't support it. There are enough pro defund voters (and representatives who support but don't campaign on it) that some supporters still get elected. But nationally the best strategy is probably to stay quiet about it and focus on issues where the public thinks Democrats are better.

gosh if only the democrats had strong and moral leaders who could take charge of dire situations, like a brutal police state, and solve it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"They murdered every major civil rights leader, but disbanding their club would make Fox News say mean things and lower Biden's approval rating, hush now child."

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

the_steve posted:

Well, pack it up goons. I am once again reminded that pointing out that Biden is a garbage person with garbage policies and credible accusations of rape against him actually makes us stupid babies who are pooping in our stupid baby diapers.

Well, you see even though good things would be easily attainable with the correct policy, we have to be realistic that liberals simply don't want good things but pointing that out is probable offense.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

I can't exactly fault the Dems for not reaching out to a miniscule number of Marxist-Leninists who don't vote and don't believe the Dems have any legitimacy even if they did. :shrug:

go talk to poor people. they want healthcare. they want police to stop murdering them. they want a clean environment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think it will actually happen but that would be so loving funny

It owns that California has a system where you can just say "no gently caress you" to any elected official, shame about how it's bundled alongside a hilariously stupid method for choosing a successor

yea I think at the end of the day the fact that there's no real chosen focus for the anti Newsom poo poo is gonna kill it, but boy would it be funny if he ate poo poo and got replaced by some idiot with like 10% of the vote

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

why did Lowtax invent the probation anyway? did our founding father intend it to be used to shut down discussion about the possibility of better things?

e: lowtax is probably a better person than any of the founding fathers, who I imagine you cannot criticize without risking probation either

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
lol that dems are caving and willing to reduce the already pathetic 20% split for transit

https://twitter.com/bjlefebvre/status/1420410320615522304

but but but i was told that amtrak joe and buttigieg love trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Anyone said "Ed Buck Breaking" yet?

where are the tweets of k-hive psychos taking up for mr. buck?