Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I would say "it's cool that our country will never get rid of covid because it's full of death cultists," but so are so many other countries :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Welp, Bona Fide Masks is still selling steeply discounted masks if you need to stock up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the full updated CDC recommendations for fully vaccinated people: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Note that they've reintroduced testing for all vaxxed people who get exposed to a positive case where the previous recommendation was that they only needed to get tested if they developed symptoms

quote:

If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you should get tested 3-5 days after your exposure, even if you don’t have symptoms. You should also wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until your test result is negative. You should isolate for 10 days if your test result is positive.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Can't wait for the right-wing talking points today complaining about every single one of those extremely minor recommendations as Florida and Louisiana become the deadliest places in the world.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I haven't heard of any governors backing the new CDC guidelines but Iowa came out swinging against them

https://twitter.com/natalie_krebs/status/1420128355161149446

Note also that Iowa has a law banning mask mandates in schools

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They should do a amendment enshrining people's rights to wear a mask then you'd never get the things off their cold dead faces.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nevada falling into line with the new CDC guidelines:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/jul/27/mask-mandate-returns-to-nevada-for-public-indoor-s/

Mississippi says nope:
https://www.wlbt.com/2021/07/27/gov-reeves-still-no-intention-masks-schools-despite-cdc-recommendation/

Michigan says no:
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/despite-new-cdc-announcement-whitmer-does-not-plan-on-bringing-back-mask-mandate

South Carolina says "Sorry, we just passed a law making that illegal so :shrug:"
https://apnews.com/article/business-health-coronavirus-pandemic-south-carolina-a2e56ca0f753d67e5f55c49f6b8612c2

And so on and so forth, I'm sure the battle lines will be drawn exactly where we expect they would be

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Aren't the vaccines still like 95% effective against all these variants?

I admittedly haven't worn a mask out in a while. I'm not out wildly sucking and loving but I am doing basic activities I enjoy again like playing sports and once in a while going to a movie. But I'm vaxxed so I've felt fairly safe doing these things. The thought of re-masking because people are morons and can't get a jab is depressing.

I do live in a high transmission area and I've been doing stuff for a while now since my shots so I wonder how many times if at all I've exposed myself already to the virus.

I dunno. Shits depressing. I self isolated and gave up tons of activities before the vaccine was available and got it as soon as I could and this shits just never gonna go away is it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ginette Reno posted:

Nope, more like 90% ........ which is still pretty great! Everyone should get the drat vaccine! But everyone should also keep wearing masks etc when cases in their area are popping off because even though vaxxed people woukd almost certainly only get a mild or asymptomatic case if they were unlucky enough to catch the virus they might still pass it on to others.

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno. Shits depressing. I self isolated and gave up tons of activities before the vaccine was available and got it as soon as I could and this shits just never gonna go away is it

It'll go away eventually, but there's still a lot of work to do before we get there. The fact that the CDC and the Whitehouse keep flipflopping on masks and celebrating "Independence from Coronavirus" and all that poo poo just makes it all so much worse.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ginette Reno posted:

Completely depends on what you mean:
1) Will the vaccine stop me from dying
2) Will the vaccine stop me from needing to be hospitalized
3) Will the vaccine stop me from having any symptoms
4) Will the vaccine stop me from transmitting it to other people who may die
5) Will the vaccine stop me from catching it at all while I flash and invincible music plays

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ginette Reno posted:

I admittedly haven't worn a mask out in a while. I'm not out wildly sucking and loving but I am doing basic activities I enjoy again like playing sports and once in a while going to a movie. But I'm vaxxed so I've felt fairly safe doing these things. The thought of re-masking because people are morons and can't get a jab is depressing.

I do live in a high transmission area and I've been doing stuff for a while now since my shots so I wonder how many times if at all I've exposed myself already to the virus.

The vaccines are very effective at preventing bad outcomes for those who get sick. They are less effective at preventing the vaccinated from getting sick or preventing the sick-but-vaccinated from spreading the virus.

The masks protect others, sadly even those who think it's all an elaborate rouse by the adrenochrome-smoking pedophile-cabal.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm in an area that's currently at a moderate level of transmission. We've been unmasked at work for about a month (I'm pretty much in a building by myself all day so it's not as big a deal as with many people), my wife and I went to the movies, and we've done some outdoor concerts and stuff like that. Still avoiding restaurants for the time being.

I'm fine with wearing the mask indoors and in crowds but holy poo poo I'm at the end of my rope with anti-vaxxers. Make every public-facing job require vaccination.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So given what we know the completely predictable outcome will be:
School starts
Delta rips through schools like wildfire, especially under 12s in no mask hellholes
Somebody will release video of a young kid on a ventilator
The chuddiest places won’t care but it will force most places to backtrack on no mask mandates

My sympathies to anybody that has an under 12 child right now. I feel like I am the luckiest person on earth that my daughter will get her second shot two weeks before school starts here.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Crackbone posted:

The chuddiest places won’t care but it will force most places to backtrack on no mask mandates claim everyone is dying for other reasons and just happen to have covid when they die, or call them all paid actors.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I'm extremely curious if the Biden administration is trying to push the FDA to get the emergency approval for kids under 12 before the school year starts. Apparently the earliest estimates are saying "mid-winter" and it is going to be a disaster if things keep to that timeline.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

..even though vaxxed people woukd almost certainly only get a mild or asymptomatic case if they were unlucky enough to catch the virus they might still pass it on to others.

The good news is that in most cases the people you'd be passing it on to deserve it and can eat poo poo.

(But yes, as someone who from the beginning has been happy to follow CDC guidelines, I'm back to wearing my mask as needed and hating the idiots who couldn't do the simplest of loving things).

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

LanceHunter posted:

I'm extremely curious if the Biden administration is trying to push the FDA to get the emergency approval for kids under 12 before the school year starts. Apparently the earliest estimates are saying "mid-winter" and it is going to be a disaster if things keep to that timeline.

Hopefully he does it in the next couple hours. School starts tomorrow here.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
My province is doing a 2 week Vax drive they want to surround in positivity to target those left who won't get the vaccine. Dig a little deeper and they are starting to make clear what life will look like without getting it. No more:
-Hopping across the border, when everyone else gets the go ahead.
-businesses shut down if they have an outbreak.
-international travel(obviously)
-more jobs beyond long term care requiring it.

The tone is changing a bit since some major places like New York and France have stepped up to be the first to tell people you eat poo poo if you don't get the vaccine. I appreciate their effort.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Completely depends on what you mean:
1) Will the vaccine stop me from dying
2) Will the vaccine stop me from needing to be hospitalized
3) Will the vaccine stop me from having any symptoms
4) Will the vaccine stop me from transmitting it to other people who may die
5) Will the vaccine stop me from catching it at all while I flash and invincible music plays

Anti vaxxers killing the sanctity of the suck and gently caress

But it seems the answers are 1) yes, 2) most likely yes 3) most likely yes 4) no 5) no

DickParasite posted:

The vaccines are very effective at preventing bad outcomes for those who get sick. They are less effective at preventing the vaccinated from getting sick or preventing the sick-but-vaccinated from spreading the virus.

The masks protect others, sadly even those who think it's all an elaborate rouse by the adrenochrome-smoking pedophile-cabal.

I just hate feeling guilty about doing stuff again. Or worse, feeling at all unsafe about it.

I have a company event coming up soon. Can't say I'm looking forward to being around a bunch of people from around the country. Naturally because vaccines are a thing I can't really wiggle my way out of it either. Rip

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

LanceHunter posted:

I want this to happen so loving bad.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pfizer isn't expecting data for 5-12 until the end of September, a few weeks later than originally anticipated. Under-5's will be several weeks/months after that. EUA for 5-12, if it comes, isn't anticipated until the end of the year.

If you have kids under 12 and can't completely isolate, probably need to come to terms with them getting COVID by the end of the year. Looking at that timeline, my kids won't be eligible until February or March, probably.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Would it be uncouth for everyone to spit in the faces of anti-vaxxers? As a new custom?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/henrymcmaster/status/1420111066630082568?s=19

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/harksaw/status/1420118077769981952

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

brugroffil posted:

If you have kids under 12 and can't completely isolate, probably need to come to terms with them getting COVID by the end of the year. Looking at that timeline, my kids won't be eligible until February or March, probably.
I'll be honest, at this point I'd probably consider trying to bribe someone or whatever to get my kids vaccinated if I had any.
After the obviously fraudulent aducanumab approval their failure to properly accelerate granting full approval for the vaccines in adults and euas for kids is really grating.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a fun project: take the CDC's national forecast from July 19 which was projecting that the weekly cases by August 14 would be somewhere between 92,000 (best case scenario) and 803,000 (worst case scenario):

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1418311164472315907

..... and then overlay that with the updated reported averaged case number from July 20 to 27:

Oops, we already blew straight through that 95% prediction interval, their worst case scenario projection was too optimistic.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

I'll be honest, at this point I'd probably consider trying to bribe someone or whatever to get my kids vaccinated if I had any.
After the obviously fraudulent aducanumab approval their failure to properly accelerate granting full approval for the vaccines in adults and euas for kids is really grating.

Here's my new plan for getting my kids vaxxed:

Pfizer and Moderna simply don't have the efficacy or safety data for kids yet. It sucks, trials should have started sooner, but that's where we're at. Hopefully the FDA sticks with their two months of safety data they required for the previous EUA's rather than the six months they're rumored to be considering which would push everything back that much more.

Not having full approval for adults at this point seems inexcusable though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Pfizer isn't expecting data for 5-12 until the end of September, a few weeks later than originally anticipated. Under-5's will be several weeks/months after that. EUA for 5-12, if it comes, isn't anticipated until the end of the year.

lol yeah my older son will turn 12 just months after that.

We can't completely isolate and are just leaning on our school board to implement a K-12 mask mandate this year. But yes, we view our kids getting covid as just a matter of time, which sucks since we dodged it successfully for so drat long.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think we know enough, given the circumstances, to allow their use at least a few years younger. Taking so long on the original EUAs didn't cost us that much because prpduction hadn't ramped up, but now that we have so much supply waiting longer will cost us a ton of lives.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Here's a fun project: take the CDC's national forecast from July 19 which was projecting that the weekly cases by August 14 would be somewhere between 92,000 (best case scenario) and 803,000 (worst case scenario):

..... and then overlay that with the updated reported averaged case number from July 20 to 27:

Oops, we already blew straight through that 95% prediction interval, their worst case scenario projection was too optimistic.

Modelling has always been really stupid for trying to extrapolate from real world conditions in my opinion.

It's useful for exploring scenarios like adding/removing NPIs, vaccination, added variants, etc. Even then it's very prone to biases about however the model makers think it's going to work. Trying to make hard number predictions is absolutely never going to work.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Scarodactyl posted:

I think we know enough, given the circumstances, to allow their use at least a few years younger. Taking so long on the original EUAs didn't cost us that much because prpduction hadn't ramped up, but now that we have so much supply waiting longer will cost us a ton of lives.

I'm really hoping Canada doesn't follow the FDA and approves earlier. We did that in December 2020 iirc, and again in May for the 12-18 year olds.

Ontario has about 1.1 million 6-12 year olds going back to class in 5 weeks and right now the government won't even commit to a mask mandate.

I'm an anxious loving mess.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

How are you reconciling the two different y-axis scales?

Edit: NVM, I see that the leftmost dot starts at 100k in the link.

compshateme85 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 28, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

Modelling has always been really stupid for trying to extrapolate from real world conditions in my opinion.

It's useful for exploring scenarios like adding/removing NPIs, vaccination, added variants, etc. Even then it's very prone to biases about however the model makers think it's going to work. Trying to make hard number predictions is absolutely never going to work.

A lot of people jumped onto Twitter to point out that the CDC's model was utter garbage and a prediction interval between 92,000 to 803,000 was laughably inept and if a statistics student had handed in a model like that as part of their coursework they would have gotten reamed out by their teacher
And in the end, even though they made a MASSIVELY wide guess it was still proved to be wrong within days of their post

compshateme85 posted:

How are you reconciling the two different y-axis scales?

Matched up the data points between May 15 and July 17
E: The CDC graph is weekly totals, the OWiD graph is averages based on the last 7 days (weekly totals/7)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 28, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Matched up the data points between May 15 and July 17
E: The CDC graph is weekly totals, the OWiD graph is averages based on the last 7 days (weekly totals/7)

Has OWID fixed any of their issues with covid data for recent days/weeks? I know before we had issues where their recent data always had weird spikes up or down caused by incomplete data and it felt like they do some kind of number fudging to reconcile it.

I don't think it undermines the general point at all since the CDCs modelling has been dumb the whole time, just wondering.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

Has OWID fixed any of their issues with covid data for recent days/weeks? I know before we had issues where their recent data always had weird spikes up or down caused by incomplete data and it felt like they do some kind of number fudging to reconcile it.

I don't think it undermines the general point at all since the CDCs modelling has been dumb the whole time, just wondering.

I think that was just for their positive case counts graphs or something similar because they were updating with incomplete data and didn't take into account test report lag, their graphs for reported cases & deaths are more reliable

.... which of course also gets updated frequently when certain states post backdated info, but in this case that'd just push the graph higher and make the CDC prediction look even dumber

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

If anyone wants a window into the mind of a "stick it to the man, dont trust big gov, be a punk rocker" anti-vaxxer, here ya go.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Somebody from my work just tested positive, so we're closed and everybody needs to get tested before we reopen. Every one of us is vaccinated too, but we're in a 60% CHUD area so it's not surprising it got to one of my vaccinated coworkers. We're also the only place in town requiring masks still.

I'm getting a fast test or whatever on Friday. Today I'm feeling like, "foggy" and quasi-feverish like I felt in the few hours after I woke up after the second shot. But it hasn't developed beyond that and I'm running maybe a one degree fever, and all that could be nothing or unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Something about this way of demonstrating vaccine effectiveness just rubs me the wrong way. It doesn't seem to disentangle the effectiveness of vaccines from the baseline chance of getting symptomatic COVID for a given person.

To be more accurate it seems like it would have to compare .098% to the percentage of non-vaccinated people who got symptomatic COVID somehow controlling for the significant regional differences in COVID prevalence and vaccine uptake.