Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tankakern posted:

would be weird if ms didnt choose rpm for a cloud os

why would they choose anything other than what redhat use

Because Ubuntu owns that space, utterly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
no they don’t what the hell

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
seriously rpm is the standard and while maybe not technically the best things are still led in the ~enterprise~ space by rhel and, like, amazon linux

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i put a barebones netplan config in an upgraded ubuntu server today and did a 'try' and it didnt work but also didnt revert and blew it off the network, now someone has to go touch it irl

gently caress linux, loving waste of time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this is the windows thread

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
its the linux thread

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's simple: one of them has regulars that seem to be posting from an alternate universe because that's the only way to square their takes with reality, and the other has shaggar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

its the linux thread

windows has a linux now

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
its complicated

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

windows has a linux now

gross

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hexacorn/status/1418634009060458500

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or just disable macros completely in Office. Or only allow signed macros.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao they are gonna make a surface duo 2:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/heres-the-first-credible-microsoft-surface-duo-2-leak/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

still gonna be a million bucks probably. honestly i like the form factor. i don't need a ton of apps, if the base software wasn't buggy (but lol)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

seems so incredibly stupid to try exactly the same thing again that i am going to predict that this isn't true. or is ballmer back running things and i didn't hear?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the surface duo had been winphone i would have probably bought one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

same. also i figured that windows 11 android app support was a sign of possible thing to come (shrink tablets into the phone role over time or so), but this is way too short a turnaround to be a windows thing, and if they are planning to keep thrashing about randomly in the android space i guess they have no intention of doing anything serious long-term in the phone(ish) space.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mediaphage posted:

still gonna be a million bucks probably. honestly i like the form factor. i don't need a ton of apps, if the base software wasn't buggy (but lol)

yeah exactly one million bucks and no more, lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

100% would have as well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'm not convinced windows phone would have really been any better aside from the intrinsic value of not being android. having a hard time picturing their ui paradigm pushed across two displays

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
UWP has pretty good responsive controls that make it easy to make apps that scale different devices. android (and the duo sdks) problem here are that it’s a pain in the rear end to make a tablet app, or for the duo, make an app that can scale to two screens without tons of custom poo poo.

if the duo team made controls that could work on dual screens, but also scale onto an Android tablet too (I know Android tablets are not popular, work with me here) they might have gotten dev buy in just on that. but nope, just custom poo poo for a crap phone.

also uwp is dead and winui sucks poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the tiles owned so much and it would have been easy to just expand it across both displays or when folded have the tiles only on the front display. the individual apps would be interesting because most of them probably arent really built to span 2 displays so you either put it across both which would be odd or just put one app on one display which would have been fine and then let apps opt in to using both displays at once. obviously thats not gonna work great when nobody is writing apps for it tho.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
i wonder how many people that said live tiles were trash have their phone home screens filled with widgets

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

are widgets the swipe right thing on the iphone? i never use it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wasn’t wowed by live tiles but widgets are sti mostly satan imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so far it appears they've abandoned live tiles in win 11

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

are widgets the swipe right thing on the iphone? i never use it
no, it's the bigger sized icons that do stuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

no, it's the bigger sized icons that do stuff

it's both, those are widgets

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the windows 11 start menu was presumably designed by someone at microsoft who loved live tiles and designed the new one to punish a world that shunned them. you still get a mess of default-pinned apps, but they are now just static undifferentiated icons, and you now *don't* get the full list of applications without a second click. (don't panic, the only workflow anyone uses, hitting win and typing a search, does still work).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the windows 11 start menu was presumably designed by someone at microsoft who loved live tiles and designed the new one to punish a world that shunned them. you still get a mess of default-pinned apps, but they are now just static undifferentiated icons, and you now *don't* get the full list of applications without a second click. (don't panic, the only workflow anyone uses, hitting win and typing a search, does still work).
hopefully they still have the super cool feature where win + “exce” + enter = open excel, whereas win + “excel” + enter = open edge and show bing results for excel

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

jesus WEP posted:

hopefully they still have the super cool feature where win + “exce” + enter = open excel, whereas win + “excel” + enter = open edge and show bing results for excel

i bet and also the other super cool feature where when you type exc it goes to “uninstall excel.exe”

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

and the other super cool feature when you try win + "exce" + enter but this time it doesn't open excel at all, also see: word, wordpad

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

jesus WEP posted:

Fortunately win+r+excel and win+r+winword still work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios widgets are dogshit and not at all the same as live tiles. ios icons/widgets have too much wasted space to get the equivalent effect

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is not like i mind live tiles, but i would take windows phone even if it was running an android launcher any day. ran better than android on equivalent hardware, less buggy than android, a better security story than android, and finally google being way less trustworthy on privacy.

no arguments for windows phone *over* ios, but it was worlds better than android even leaving every bit of design and ux aside.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

ios widgets are dogshit and not at all the same as live tiles. ios icons/widgets have too much wasted space to get the equivalent effect

both suck

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is not like i mind live tiles, but i would take windows phone even if it was running an android launcher any day. ran better than android on equivalent hardware, less buggy than android, a better security story than android, and finally google being way less trustworthy on privacy.

no arguments for windows phone *over* ios, but it was worlds better than android even leaving every bit of design and ux aside.

largely agree

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone was just better than ios in a bunch of minor ways that added up to something better. about the only thing ios does better is the password management for apps instead of just web browsers.

nope. the tiles were so much better live or not

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

windows phone was just better than ios in a bunch of minor ways that added up to something better. about the only thing ios does better is the password management for apps instead of just web browsers.

hard disagree, there's essentially nothing that a live tile or widget can tell me that i need to know that will save me from opening an app to actually check it out. the only thing i can possibly think of is if you have a day of random meetings but even then you should be getting reminders beforehand that obviate the need for a widget or tile showing whatever your next meeting is

like i don't care if you like them, it's whatever. i just find them both completely useless

also i think it's weird that a non-live tile is considered "better" than just an app icon, they're the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Amen. It's a shame they handled WP7 -> 8 -> 10 so poorly. I understand the technical hurdles and achievements but drat, it alienated so many people. :smith: