Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how does the West Bank not count as an occupied territory? it's literally administered by the Israeli military. it fits every definition of an occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

punishedkissinger posted:

how does the West Bank not count as an occupied territory? it's literally administered by the Israeli military. it fits every definition of an occupation.
It’s absolutely an occupied territory.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't think Palestinian sections of the West Bank count as occupied, but also did Israel let Palestinians have ice cream in the first place?

1) this is an odd take to me, Gaza is still a place inhabited by actual human beings with an actual economy and, indeed, google suggests there are at least ten ice cream shops in the Gaza Strip - which is admittedly too few for the population density

there was also a whole thing the other month when Israel blew up a Gaza ice cream factory for giggles

2) the West Bank has even more of an actual functioning economy, for the moment

3) you already got lolled at for this but the West Bank is if anything occupieder than the Gaza Strip, Israel has stolen most of the land worth stealing in the Gaza Strip but there are still tensions in the West Bank over Palestinians having nice things that Israeli settlers would prefer to have

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The West Bank is littered with settlements and Israeli troops

Gaza is just surrounded on all sides by Israeli troops

They are both bad in different ways, although for the time being the Israelis haven’t managed to turn the West Bank into an outdoor prison like they have with Gaza

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok so if I have it right:
BnJ was going to pull out of Israel (or at the very least terminate their contract with a Tel Aviv plant)
Unilever stepped in (because the own them) and made them stay in Israel
BnJ therefore could only pull out of the occupied territories, which are only the settlement parts.

Unilever announced that they were going to stop selling in the Occupied Territories, and would not renew the license of their manufacturing partner in the area, but that they would continue to sell in Israel via a different arrangement.

Legally, Unilever's purchase of Ben and Jerry's came with the creation of an independent board with considerable power to prevent executive meddling, mostly through the fact that there are a lot of things Unilever can't do without that board's explicit approval. And making a decision like this, or issuing a statement like this, are both things that require approvals from that board. Despite that, Unilever did not get the board's approval for either the statement or the decision.

The board has been pushing for some time to stop selling in the settlements, but Unilever executives have been delaying and dragging their feet. Meanwhile, the board has not taken a clear public stance (as far as I can tell) on whether they should keep selling in Israel at all. So a sudden unilateral statement like this from Unilever feels like a clear attempt to preempt the board's right to decide, giving them one thing they were pushing for and using it as an excuse to cut off another thing the board might possibly have pushed for if given the chance.

The board has not openly taken a stance on whether Ben and Jerry's should remain in Israel. But whether it does or not is up to the board to decide, not Unilever. And Unilever unilaterally decided that question on its own, without getting the board's approval. That is what Ben and Jerry's is mad about : per the agreement signed when BnJ was purchased, Unilever does not have the authority to make that decision on its own, but did so anyway.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope the B&J board actually make a thing of it against Unilever, I like ice cream but I crave an end to this apartheid system.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Just as an update I looked into it and from what I am seeing the consensus is that this distributor didn't distribute to Palestinians areas anyway so all the takes about this only negatively affecting Palestinians who want ice cream are apparently bunk.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

punishedkissinger posted:

I didn't invent the terminology. When people refer to "the Occupied Territories" in the West Bank it means the settlements.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't invent the terminology. When people refer to "the Occupied Territories" in the West Bank it means the settlements.

The Mirriam-Webster English Dictionary defines an occupied territory as

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Main Paineframe posted:

Unilever announced that they were going to stop selling in the Occupied Territories, and would not renew the license of their manufacturing partner in the area, but that they would continue to sell in Israel via a different arrangement.

Legally, Unilever's purchase of Ben and Jerry's came with the creation of an independent board with considerable power to prevent executive meddling, mostly through the fact that there are a lot of things Unilever can't do without that board's explicit approval. And making a decision like this, or issuing a statement like this, are both things that require approvals from that board. Despite that, Unilever did not get the board's approval for either the statement or the decision.

The board has been pushing for some time to stop selling in the settlements, but Unilever executives have been delaying and dragging their feet. Meanwhile, the board has not taken a clear public stance (as far as I can tell) on whether they should keep selling in Israel at all. So a sudden unilateral statement like this from Unilever feels like a clear attempt to preempt the board's right to decide, giving them one thing they were pushing for and using it as an excuse to cut off another thing the board might possibly have pushed for if given the chance.

The board has not openly taken a stance on whether Ben and Jerry's should remain in Israel. But whether it does or not is up to the board to decide, not Unilever. And Unilever unilaterally decided that question on its own, without getting the board's approval. That is what Ben and Jerry's is mad about : per the agreement signed when BnJ was purchased, Unilever does not have the authority to make that decision on its own, but did so anyway.

Thank you

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think you might have invented the terminology. Occupied Palestinian Territory typically refers to the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem. The military occupation of Palestine is a related but seperate issue from the ethnic cleansing of Palestine via settlements.

Wikipedia: The term "Palestinian territories" has been used for many years to describe the territories occupied by Israel since 1967, namely the West Bank (including East Jerusalem) and the Gaza Strip. The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has referred to the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, as "the Occupied Palestinian Territory" and this term was used as the legal definition by the ICJ in the ruling in July 2004.[7] More recently, the official United Nations (UN) terminology[8] has been used, occupied Palestinian territory[9][10][11] (OPT or oPt) increasingly replacing other terms since 1999.[12] The European Union (EU) also has adopted this usage.[13][14]

Institute of Middle East Understanding: The Occupied Territories are the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip, and the Golan Heights. "Occupied Palestinian Territories" or simply "Palestinian territories" is sometimes used to refer to the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip, excluding the (Syrian) Golan Heights.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Even if you don’t consider Area A to be occupied (which I think is already disingenuous at best), there’s no reasonable definition of “occupied” that wouldn’t extend to Area B, which includes an awful lot of the population.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can we get "but no ice cream" added to the thread title tia

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It would be funny if Unilever has to sue to end these stupid anti-BDS laws that are blatantly unconstitutional

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/1418640878810419201?s=21

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is this letter claiming that NY pension funds are invested in a foreign country? Is that true?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

eSports Chaebol posted:

Even if you don’t consider Area A to be occupied (which I think is already disingenuous at best), there’s no reasonable definition of “occupied” that wouldn’t extend to Area B, which includes an awful lot of the population.

That I have the big brain power to comprehend a Ben and Jerry’s presser does not mean I think the West Bank as a whole is not occupied

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Do we know what the "or else" part of the Unilever/B&J contract is if Unilever doesn't adhere to the board's decisions? I have to imagine the B&J lawyers made certain to get ironclad language in there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

Do we know what the "or else" part of the Unilever/B&J contract is if Unilever doesn't adhere to the board's decisions? I have to imagine the B&J lawyers made certain to get ironclad language in there.

The board is guaranteed the ability to sue Unilever, at Unilever's expense, for breaching the agreement.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

Can we get "but no ice cream" added to the thread title tia

Israel/Palestine 2021: The Rocky Road to peace is full of Half Baked ideas.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No ice cream for you!!

Are B&J... the ice cream Nazis?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/MairavZ/status/1420344436341579777?s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mobby_6kl posted:

No ice cream for you!!

Are B&J... the ice cream Nazis?

Nah, but the Knesset is a bunch of Chunky Monkeys

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

There has actually been some updates to this, all the Labor and Meretz members pulled their names and reaffirmed commitment to a two state solution, so some good-ish news for once.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/Mondoweiss/status/1423418679396642816

quote:

In the long-awaited court hearing on Monday, the court refused to rule on the status of ownership over the land, instead proposing that the Palestinians remain in their homes under the status of “protected residents.”

As protected residents, the Palestinian families would be forced to pay yearly rent to the Israeli settler organization Nahalat Shimon, which claims ownership over Sheikh Jarrah and is seeking to replace its Palestinian residents with Israeli settlers.

As per the court’s proposal, such an agreement between the families and the settlers would stave off their eviction for the “coming years,” but would not prevent Nahalat Shimon from seeking to forcibly evict the residents in the future.

Accepting their status as protected residents would in effect recognize settler ownership of the land — a condition the residents have categorically rejected.

According to Haaretz, the representative of Nahalat Shimon opposed the compromise and “demanded the families recognize the Jewish ownership of the land.”

“People must continue to live there and that’s the idea, to try to reach a practical arrangement without making various declarations. We have seen how much this interests the media. We want a practical solution,” Justice Isaac Amit said.

Haaretz also claimed that “the Palestinians agreed to the compromise but rejected the settlers’ demand.”

Mohammed El-Kurd, a resident of the neighborhood and one of the four families whose appeal was being heard on Monday, however clarified on Twitter that “no decision or agreement has been reached.”

“Instead of making a ruling on land ownership, the court decided to evade its responsibilities and pressure us into reaching an agreement with settlers.”

Je-sus

"hey we don't want to look bad by making an obviously unjust and bullshit ruling, so could you just maybe agree to let the other guys steal your land as long as we say you can still live there, oh but you have to pay them rent, and they can still evict you anyway"
-A court of law

E: holy gently caress

quote:

Following the court hearing, Palestinians took to social media to express their rejection of the Supreme Court’s proposal, with many pointing to the fact that Palestinians cannot expect to receive justice from a court where one of the judges himself is a settler.
https://twitter.com/m7mdkurd/status/1422185706663907328

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Had an odd debate on reddit- to the extent you can debate anything on reddit- where I was trying to expain that there is an entire system set up in the Israeli government to take over Palestinian land. Their proof that there wasn't a systemic attempt to take Palestinian land was a Israeli Supreme Court decision that said Israel had a right to Palestinian land.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Checks out, can't have a system to take Palestinian land if the Supreme Court ruled Palestinians don't have a right to own land QED

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Checks out, can't have a system to take Palestinian land if the Supreme Court ruled Palestinians don't have a right to own land QED
Check. Mate.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Interesting longer article about the very possibly made up evidence used to convict the local head of WorldVision and delving into how a lot of criminal cases against Palestinians are rigged in a similar manner:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/19/aid-worker-mohammed-el-halabi-gaza-israel-trial-largest-theft-aid-money-history

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Israeli government today designated all of the major Palestinian aid orgs as 'terrorist groups', which is definitely not a sign that you are running an apartheid state

https://twitter.com/praisegodbarbon/status/1451616433889325059?s=20

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"there is no aid crisis in the so called state of palestine, If there was there would be aid organisations there! Anyway, this is why we can bulldoze a bunch of people to death in their houses now."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The only certified aid that can come into the country is facilitated by IAF bombers

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

it's not that I don't believe you and could just go digging myself, but do you have something that isn't a deleted tweet

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This action from October appears to be the basis for the claim.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/23/1048690050/israel-palestinian-human-right-groups

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"other aid organizations exist. 7 Pinocchii"-American fact checkers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The majority of those aren't aid groups at all - they're human rights groups whose goal is to document Israeli human rights abuses, not to distribute charity funding.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Main Paineframe posted:

The majority of those aren't aid groups at all - they're human rights groups whose goal is to document Israeli human rights abuses, not to distribute charity funding.

Informing the world of their human rights abuses creates terror therefore their actions are a form of terrorism.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

HootTheOwl posted:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://twitter.com/OmarBaddar/status/1467152288749924354?t=wjsHSaer6DQMtwVIglOvWA&s=19

:nms: Video of occupation forces murdering a prone Palestinian in Jerusalem in broad daylight, then attacking others

https://twitter.com/m7mdkurd/status/1467149204091023361?t=DUolh3c9wnmCSZmdJ7v3vQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

For what it is worth, the guy they shot had just randomly stabbed someone else, then tried to stab one of them. Seems like he was prone because he was already shot after trying to stab one of them.

Idf is garbo AF, and that isn't an excuse for judge dreading someone. Just extra context.

Caros fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 4, 2021