Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Gym people (like, serious gym people, competitive fitness people) are weird. They aren't doing it to look attractive, they're doing it for themselves / other gym people.

i used to think this, but while it is true that i initially started off working out to impress the ladies, when you do it long enough, you do reach a point where you realize you're working out for yourself and that it makes you feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah, I didn't get really really good at video games to attract anyone. I did it for myself

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mr Interweb posted:

i used to think this, but while it is true that i initially started off working out to impress the ladies, when you do it long enough, you do reach a point where you realize you're working out for yourself and that it makes you feel good.

You haven't been hanging out with competitive bodybuilders I take it. It's an entirely different mentality from people going the gym for personal fitness and it's myriad benefits.

E: I see the confusion. I wasn't trying to say they were weird for doing it not to look attractive. They are weird in their own way, the 'looking good' was explanatory for arnie goon.

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Jul 28, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think people hate ASM they seemed to just have got immediately forgotten

It was honestly impressive

Yeah I think they were liked at the time, but just overshadowed by the MCU.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You haven't been hanging out with competitive bodybuilders I take it. It's an entirely different mentality from people going the gym for personal fitness and it's myriad benefits.

E: I see the confusion. I wasn't trying to say they were weird for doing it not to look attractive. They are weird in their own way, the 'looking good' was explanatory for arnie goon.

Well, I mean, competitive athletes of any sort have a totally different mentality from people going to the gym for personal fitness and its myriad benefits.

So what makes competitive bodybuilders so particularly weird?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, I didn't get really really good at video games to attract anyone. I did it for myself

I also didn't get good at video games.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

this is from several pages ago, but it did remind me of a discovery i came across fairly recently late into adulthood.

Ahh, yeah

There's a longstanding joke in Cycle Asylum (and other motorcycle boards tbh) about guys that buy motorcycles because they think it'll attract The Ladies only to find that it's an endless parade of dudes coming up to you at the gas station to ask about your crotch rocket or your hog

(I do not mean those euphemistically but I guess I kinda also do)

If you think about it - and I'm only realizing this now, cause I never thought that deeply about it - if you're a dude that buys a motorcycle, your personal sample of people that you know are interested in motorcycles now has at least one dude in it, probably more, and you can extrapolate from there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Barry Foster posted:

Well, I mean, competitive athletes of any sort have a totally different mentality from people going to the gym for personal fitness and its myriad benefits.

Compared to other competitive athletes? Not much, I assume, but I can't say I've known anyone deeply involved in other sports.

It's a lifestyle, with all the attendant oddities that come with such. They eat, sleep, and breathe fitness, forever striving for whatever the next goal du jour is. They're weird in the same way anyone obsessive about something is. (And, of those I've known, I wouldn't characterize them all as obsessive, but a majority thereof.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

in retrospect, something like he-man makes a LOT more sense now

It seems so obvious in retrospect. The whole franchise has big queer overtones at times, even before the reboots.

Like, I'm sure there's a fair few women who are into the big muscular thing, but growing up around anime fangirls was an Education for me at the very least.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Culturally speaking, probably because there is an aesthetic component rather than a goal of competing more efficiently at a game involving physical feats. One of the reasons people make fun of bodybuilders is that it's not seen as acceptable for men to be too into how their body looks or to do things like pose and have people evaluate how you look.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Toshimo posted:

Why? Is there some rule that you must do things to attract other people and not because you want to?

100%

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, I'm sure there's a fair few women who are into the big muscular thing, but growing up around anime fangirls was an Education for me at the very least.

But I thought this

is what peak anime performance looks like (fangirls may not like it)??

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think people hate ASM they seemed to just have got immediately forgotten

It was honestly impressive

ASM2 definitely got a lot of (well deserved) hate but the first one was definitely just kind of there. It wasn’t bad but totally unmemorable.

Props to Marvel for just ditching the origin story since it had been done so many times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Culturally speaking, probably because there is an aesthetic component rather than a goal of competing more efficiently at a game involving physical feats. One of the reasons people make fun of bodybuilders is that it's not seen as acceptable for men to be too into how their body looks or to do things like pose and have people evaluate how you look.

A big part of toxic masculinity is that when you get down to it, literally every cultural demand put upon you is in conflict with another one.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

fellas, is it gay to have ripped pecs?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
fellas, is it gay to have feelings toward woman?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Props to Marvel for just ditching the origin story since it had been done so many times.

It's very funny to me that the recent, most popular Spiderman movies have been the MCU just skipping over the origin story completely, and Spiderverse telling it seven times in the same movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tenebrais posted:

It's very funny to me that the recent, most popular Spiderman movies have been the MCU just skipping over the origin story completely, and Spiderverse telling it seven times in the same movie.

You could do another good Spider-Man origin movie. Amazing just wasn't a good one.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Men love my giant rear end Zapata mustache. Women not so much.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Look, you make out with a dude it’s like you’re making out with every chick that dude made out with.

You make out with a chick and it’s like you’re making out with every dude she made out with. Gay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Who has that Twitter post about how lasting too long while having sex with a woman is gay? That one was :psyduck: as hell.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mr Interweb posted:

:hai: :respek: :hai:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Spider man movie that is 10 minutes of quips, then some stunts set to Hero by Chad Kroeger ft. Josey Wales, repeated for an hour and a half.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yeah, I don't think Arnold was ever meant to be a fantasy of male beauty, straight or otherwise. He's a power fantasy. In the logic of his movies, women are attracted to him because of what he can do to other men (anything he wants) rather than because they find his gigantic lats pleasing--when women are present at all, that is.

Reminds me of this: https://www.shortpacked.com/comic/false-equivalence

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

And right there the stage is set for the development of Booster.

Addendum; For those unfamiliar with David Willis's comics, he has been steadily adding more representation over the years and broadening his own horizons in terms of characters and development. In Sept of 2020 he introduced a gender neutral character named Booster into his current comic (titled "Dumbing of Age") and most panels feature Booster with slightly accentuated lips and large eyes in the vein of the Amber Batman sketch from Shortpacked.

kupachek has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jul 28, 2021

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The below the line crew on Spider-Man took up a collection and offered Joe Mangienello $500 to accidentally knock him during their on screen fight.
What are these scandalous lies? It was only $100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4OjhQVnE9w

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you go back and read the silver age stuff it's amazing how the first Spider-Man story is so clearly better than everything else Marvel was doing at the time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

christmas boots posted:

If you go back and read the silver age stuff it's amazing how the first Spider-Man story is so clearly better than everything else Marvel was doing at the time.

misread your post. I thought you were talking about movies. My bad. I agree silver age Spidey is generally better than what Marvel was putting out at the time. (from the limited silver age stuff I've read)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know early Peter Parker was a huge prick, even after becoming Spider-Man.

He mellows out but man he’s really unlikable for like the first ten issues

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know early Peter Parker was a huge prick, even after becoming Spider-Man.

He mellows out but man he’s really unlikable for like the first ten issues

How dare you, the early story where he breaks into the Avengers HQ and demands they hire him only to have a tantrum and leave when he finds out there's no paycheck is a masterpiece.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

christmas boots posted:

How dare you, the early story where he breaks into the Avengers HQ and demands they hire him only to have a tantrum and leave when he finds out there's no paycheck is a masterpiece.

Didn't he do that to the FF?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Good for him, gently caress unpaid internships

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Toshimo posted:

Didn't he do that to the FF?

He may also have done that to the FF. I remember the Avengers one because Wasp immediately distrusted him because Wasps and Spiders are natural foes.

Barry Foster posted:

lol in this case he also demanded they make the internship in the first place

but yeah, there's definitely a class thing happening there. One of the richest people in the world, a wealthy world-renowned scientist and his girlfriend, a super soldier probably still getting paid by the government for something, and a prince. They can afford to work for free.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jul 28, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barry Foster posted:

The avengers didn’t offer him a job he just showed up and demanded to be paid whole all the characters looked on confused as gently caress

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

christmas boots posted:

Peter Parker was also weirdly conservative for a while. He would walk through anti-war protests and stuff. I don't know if that was Ditko's influence or what.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Who has that Twitter post about how lasting too long while having sex with a woman is gay? That one was :psyduck: as hell.

There are even some people who apparently believe going down on a woman is gay, to the point there was even a subplot on the Sopranos about Junior getting crap about it.

Toxic masculinity is pure :psyduck:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while i completely understand the point that comic's making, what's going on beneath the surface is probably subtler than pure form because afaik modern scholars talk much more about exaggerated superhero physiques representing a kind of supernormal sexual stimuli than they do about superhero bodies, specifically male superheroes bodies, just being built for mere power fantasy or w/e - essentially, this means all these bodies are caricatures of what we find attractive with the catch that in some cases the caricature may become so extreme, so hyper masculine or so hyper feminine, they could become unappealing to some, but not all, people

batman, for e.g., consistently comes out as either the #1 or #2 superhero that women find attractive with his physique - along with his, i dunno, broodiness? - apparently being the chief selling points (spiderman's the other caped chad, valued for his humour and his sexy bod)

don't read this the wrong way, this doesn't mean there's any kind of equality in comics, or that this medium or similar mediums don't go on to sexualize women even more than the men in utterly distasteful ways by coupling their already exaggerated physiques with provocative poses, costumes or situations they would never put a male in - not to mention differences in the variety of body representation, less attractive male bodies on supporting characters are much more common than less attractive female bodies on supporting characters - all this just means we're looking at the underlying mechanics & psychology in more detail than previously

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

There are even some people who apparently believe going down on a woman is gay, to the point there was even a subplot on the Sopranos about Junior getting crap about it.

Toxic masculinity is pure :psyduck:

Yes this is a toxic masc thing, but not really a homophobic thing. It goes back to ancient Rome. Hatred for people who bottom/sub. People only call it "gay" because we don't have a robust enough vocabulary to pinpoint all of our hateful bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

OPAONI posted:

Peter Parker was also weirdly conservative for a while. He would walk through anti-war protests and stuff. I don't know if that was Ditko's influence or what.

That was purestrain Ditko, the man hated anti-war protestors. I mean he hated basically everything that conflicted with his objectivist beliefs, and there was a story that one of the reasons Stan Lee didn't want to talk to Ditko after he left was because he assumed Ditko had some kind of grand, Randian speech planned out that he would give and make everyone realize he was right, and no one wants to hear that.

Also if you've never read them, his Mr. A stories are something else. A better intro to Objectivism and why Objectivism is batshit insane than slogging through any of Ayn Rand's works.