Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HZD is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i liked the witcher 3 and horizon enough to finish them both but yeah Horizon was a cool condensed open world game with fantastic combat and a totally meh story and Witcher 3 is a vast open world game with incredible writing and so so combat

both good games but I won't ever want to replay either

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

While we're talking about HZD, please enjoy this cursèd anime Aloy from Genshin Impact

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1418194123845246976?s=20

What a wild character to have as the first crossover collab but I'm into it and looking forward to my free anime Aloy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do you get Aloy for just logging into the game? As it is right now getting characters in Genshin, especially ones you want, is a gigantic money pit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Do you get Aloy for just logging into the game? As it is right now getting characters in Genshin, especially ones you want, is a gigantic money pit.

Yeah, she’ll be free for all players, with PS4/5 players getting her one patch earlier than everyone else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Paimon now has a Ryu number of 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Limited time collabs in gacha games don't count for Ryu Numbers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that I've been playing Genshin Impact for a couple months, I'll say this:

It's a very full-featured open-world action game with a ton of pretty good story content and a whole lot to explore, with a mobile gacha game woven into it. You can, with no issue, do the entirety of the game's real content (story, exploration, events, and a surprisingly elaborate player housing system) with just the free characters they give all new players, and most of the challenge content, too. You can have dozens and dozens of hours of fun in Genshin Impact without spending a single cent, especially if you don't care about the challenge mode endgame stuff. If you don't care about endgame that also saves you a ton of grinding, too.

But holy poo poo is it good at piling on the FOMO. Because it's a big AAA 3D action game, every character that gets released is unique--it doesn't have mountains of characters who are just ultra-rare JPEGs like most gachas do--which means that, even if you don't need a new character to complete any of the content you want to do, you might still feel the FOMO because they're fun to play and look really cool, or do something unique that no other character can do. Or they have a good story quest that you end up enjoying and just like them a lot as a character (the game doesn't require you to have a character to do their story quests, which means those quests also serve as advertisements for the character).

My advice would be that if you think you'd be susceptible to that level of FOMO, please don't play the game. It will happily take hundreds of dollars from you without giving you what you want.

Personally I think spending money on the monthly gem pass (called "Blessing of the Welkin Moon") and paid battle pass is generally worth it, and works out to being less than a typical MMO subscription. That'll get you a pretty good stream of characters, especially if you're judicious about which banners you roll on. Spending any more than that is a fool's game, and if you're considering spending more, please go watch a video of a whale doing summons and see just how quickly $100 worth of gems can disappear without giving you anything of value.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

your av came out great

homeless snail posted:

huh what av? its just a blank square for me- what the :wth:

ty

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Genshin Impact may be a lot of fun but the aesthetic of it was very abrasive when I tried it on release. despite only playing it for less than an hour and never looking at any marketing material or gameplay stream of it, I still remember Paimon's name

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFumK_S3mW4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Limited time collabs in gacha games don't count for Ryu Numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo6MfoQ3wzA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No thanks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ugh faeries

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So abrasive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I'm just gonna say it, no one cares about Atelier

This can't hurt me because I know you've never played one, and probably never will at the rate you're going

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wow that voice sure is obnoxious even as far as squeaky tiny animes go.

Also I did a mission to help a caravan fight off a horde of monsters which was pretty cool since they introduced the stealth armor enemy. Usually I just shoot, fire shoot and stab enemies until they die so it was cool that they made an enemy designed specifically to tell you to eat poo poo for being lazy and not using traps and utility items.

One thing this game definitely does better than W3 is that I actively look forward to levels (re: skill acquisition) cause a lot of them make Aloy significantly stronger as opposed to Witcher 3 where the game just decided your ultra badass commando ranger can use better armor now and most of your levelup perks are seriously weak poo poo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Harrow posted:

But holy poo poo is it good at piling on the FOMO. Because it's a big AAA 3D action game, every character that gets released is unique--it doesn't have mountains of characters who are just ultra-rare JPEGs like most gachas do--which means that, even if you don't need a new character to complete any of the content you want to do, you might still feel the FOMO because they're fun to play and look really cool, or do something unique that no other character can do. Or they have a good story quest that you end up enjoying and just like them a lot as a character (the game doesn't require you to have a character to do their story quests, which means those quests also serve as advertisements for the character).

My advice would be that if you think you'd be susceptible to that level of FOMO, please don't play the game. It will happily take hundreds of dollars from you without giving you what you want.

Personally I think spending money on the monthly gem pass (called "Blessing of the Welkin Moon") and paid battle pass is generally worth it, and works out to being less than a typical MMO subscription. That'll get you a pretty good stream of characters, especially if you're judicious about which banners you roll on. Spending any more than that is a fool's game, and if you're considering spending more, please go watch a video of a whale doing summons and see just how quickly $100 worth of gems can disappear without giving you anything of value.

A grim look into a horrifying reality. I'm not actually that susceptible to FOMO I don't think, unless I'm really drunk, but I'm also not going to support a game model like that. I can still see why people like the game I suppose, the combat at least looks sort of interesting, but overall just not for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scavengers, Trespassers, Ateliers, Loners, Killers, Explorers and Robbers

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Paimon Rules

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All video game fairies are bossy or are liars

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having to distribute experience manually by deciding who to give xp items to is a bad system every time and it's so common in mobage. Killed my interest in Genshin far earlier than it would otherwise have died when I realized I had to make decisions on whether I'd be using a character enough to bother investing in them basically the instant I got them. It would have been far better if your adventurer level was the only levelup system and all characters you have scaled with it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Blue Labrador posted:

I had an interesting encounter at a bar with an uber driver just recently. My friends and I and encountered a dude running from an alley way who was shaken because he was (by his own word) almost jumped and sexually assaulted, and was very shaken about it. After an hour+ of hearing him out and talking out his anxieties and emotions thereof, we ended up encouraging him to take an Uber home on our own dime and get some rest before seeking professional advice. However, when the Uber came, the driver refused to let him in the car, as he didn't have a mask on him, even after we explained the situation.

On one hand, I understand the driver's position, as they may have an at-risk family member who wouldn't love the exposure a random may bring. On the other hand... like, drat dude, a person was victimized and you won't drive them safety? Even though you volunteered to do this exact service? While I understand the driver's position, and I can't fully vouch for this random man we encountered--as none of us know him on any personal level--it still feels ethically lackluster to me tbh, and, the more I reflect on it, the more tilted I get.

(I was lucky enough to have a superfluous mask on me that I let the rando wear that mollified the driver in question, but I still don't appreciate how that was necessary.)

They might get in trouble with uber for ever making exceptions like that, or maybe they have some immunodeficient person or child at home so they can't take the chance. I wouldn't focus any anger on them, they may have had no choice and even if that person was attacked they were safe at the moment so it's not like there was imminent danger to him.

But yeah, that's a pretty wild story. Glad that guy managed to escape or whatever he did.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

It would have been far better if your adventurer level was the only levelup system and all characters you have scaled with it

TBH I wish most RPGs worked like this

Getting real sick of games without shared exp, or where your newest party member starts at level 1 so you throw them in the garbage pile immediately

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there's some systems where it can be fun (retro Fire Emblem for instance) but most of the time it just sorta sucks yeah

e: at least if xp is automatically shared then you don't have to worry about it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there's some systems where it can be fun (retro Fire Emblem for instance) but most of the time it just sorta sucks yeah

It works in games that account for the level disparity in some way, like how retro Fire Emblem just has insane growths on later characters (or some are just lovely bads you shouldn't use anyway), or powerful skills

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

While we're talking about HZD, please enjoy this cursèd anime Aloy from Genshin Impact

naw, that's an incredibly adorable anime.

Harrow posted:

Now that I've been playing Genshin Impact for a couple months, I'll say this:

I can't even think about P***** & dr****s without getting a sweat itch to throw fifty bucks at an egg machine, so I was right to never try Genshin. maybe i should install p&d though haha just to see. However, reading between the lines, seems like maybe not that good of a game. like as a joke, install it and log in and recover my account just to see it would be funny. Never heard anyone describe the story, how or why it was engaging or anything, or the world in any way besides botw comparisons and how the story and world drive you to want characters. i bet some of my gods have new evos, what if i just looked at em. Really, unless a trainer or mod or hack comes out that would let me give myself as much currency and characters as there are in the game, I just can't and last I checked even regular trainers struggled to work... are there private genshin servers because truly always-online gacha is an affront to pc rights. maybe they give us as much free currency as jp version now, it would be irresponsible for me to not check

Andrast posted:

Hail Paimon!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 28, 2021

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

😫✋ paimon
😌👉 palmon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of, Digimon Survive delayed to 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That game's probably just straight up never coming out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

palmon rules

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Genshin impact revealed to me I had a gambling problem to the point I was stealing money to buy more rolls.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it sure makes a genshin impact on your wallet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hatty posted:

All video game fairies are bossy or are liars
Paimon's both

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Having to distribute experience manually by deciding who to give xp items to is a bad system every time and it's so common in mobage. Killed my interest in Genshin far earlier than it would otherwise have died when I realized I had to make decisions on whether I'd be using a character enough to bother investing in them basically the instant I got them. It would have been far better if your adventurer level was the only levelup system and all characters you have scaled with it

I felt this way at first but ultimately I'm glad that when I get a new character, I don't have to go grind EXP with them at a low level to get them up to speed. I can just dump some saved-up EXP books on them and they're up to speed. That said...

cheetah7071 posted:

It would have been far better if your adventurer level was the only levelup system and all characters you have scaled with it

This would be way better, yeah. It's not like there aren't plenty of other things to grind (talent level up materials, weapon ascension materials, etc.).

Boba Pearl posted:

Genshin impact revealed to me I had a gambling problem to the point I was stealing money to buy more rolls.

I have been very careful not to recommend the game to my friends IRL unless they already know what they're getting into (as in, they're already into gacha games). The last thing I want to do is help a friend discover they have a gambling problem.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Gaius Marius posted:

People here's obsession with such a mediocre series is baffling to me to be honest

it's a great and unique atmospheric package in a niche isnt explored nearly enough in the medium (less so these days with stuff like subnautica)

the comically dour narrative and thematic undercurrent to these games about a cute cetacean is interesting and ambitious

it's 3 tim follin soundtracks

the game part of the games is inoffensive enough and novel enough to allow the series to get by on notability along the first few metrics even if you could reasonably call the gameplay experience mediocre as a whole. it's acceptably competent and has enough mechanical and physical depth to bolster the pedestrian level design enough to sustain what amounts to single-digit hours experiences, even the 3d title, inordinate and unfulfilling difficulty notwithstanding (although speedrunning them shores that fulfillment up nicely due to the aforementioned fundamentals).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't know how Genshin Impact does it, but in other gacha games with experience items I usually find that after playing for a bit I simply have a mountain of them, and maxing a new character barely makes a dent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Never heard anyone describe the story, how or why it was engaging or anything, or the world in any way besides botw comparisons and how the story and world drive you to want characters.

BotW comparisons are fairly accurate as for the exploration mechanics (identical climbing and gliding, for example), though they've started to get more experimental with environmental puzzles with the latest update. Lots of electricity-themed puzzles, things that let you fly through the air by grappling onto mid-air floating crystals, really hostile areas where you get struck by lightning, needing to use special lightning gems to cross electrical barriers, bunch of other stuff.

It's not as well-designed a world as BotW, which I can tell because I don't find myself as compelled to just run around and explore for its own sake, but it's more rewarding to explore than your average open world, I think.

The story's kind of hard to explain because it swings wildly back and forth between fun character stuff, tragic character stuff, and then this sort of pseudo-philosophical story about the gods and their place in the world and the world's "true nature." It's hard to say what the main story even is. I ultimately enjoy it mostly because the characters are charming, even the dumb little fairy goblin Paimon has grown on me, but there's definitely a lot of like... mystery box build-up that I hope pays off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
defender of the future is also notable for being one of the only times tim follin got to compose something he didnt see as a compromised project he was personally embarrassed by in the face of his peers like he seems to be constantly self-assessing his work as so thats a nice bonus LMAO