Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe for injustice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm so glad they're finally doing the whole "Mutants meet the galaxy as equals" thing and have been for a while now. Reading comics as a kid, I always wanted them to just say "gently caress it" to humanity and make their own country and just leave humanity behind, except for diplomatic relations and stuff.

Of course, we did get that briefly, with Genosha. Then Morrison killed everyone. Also, Asteroid M.

It's going to be so sad when it all this turns to poo poo.

I mean, at the end of the day, it won't last unless Disney is comfortable turning half of their currently profitable superhero universe into a posthuman speculative fiction enterprise, which seems unlikely

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC He got mind switched with Peter Parker and implied that while he was in Pete's body he banged MJ (who was still in high school at the time.)

Zore posted:

He was also mind switched by Jean Grey, another teenage girl, because he was creeping her out and she wanted to gently caress with him.

Uthor posted:

Ultimate Wolverine perved on/hosed (?) underage MJ when body swapped with Spider-Man.

Ahhh, I am very much remembering why I decided not to stick around for the Ultimate Universe

(Not that I was always the biggest fan of Logan and his overcharged The Manliest Man of Every Man Situation before)

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Netherrealm Studios have problems with their story modes where they try to simultaneously be fun romps and serious storytelling and they end up being neither

Oh poo poo, I just realised, beatemup stories are in the exact problematic spot as superhero comics are, where you cant actually advance any plot, because the fans love all the poo poo tryhard characters

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realised, beatemup stories are in the exact problematic spot as superhero comics are, where you cant actually advance any plot, because the fans love all the poo poo tryhard characters

You know, I don’t think that’s actually true for fighting games. Tekken’s story mode wasn’t exactly amazing storytelling but it did move the world and story forward in permanent ways, same for Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. There are fighting games that feel locked in stasis, like Street Fighter, but enough aren’t anymore that you can’t really chalk it up to the problems of the genre

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

cool Games poster energy

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

He looks like he's vibing to some deep funk groove called Kang's Strut or something.

Maybe it's the boots, but Kang did always seem very disco to me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Wait, didn't we just have the "is Doom/Kang actually time displaced Kang/Doom?" panel?

Maybe that's not Kang but time displaced MF Doom.

Reading that as MF Doom changes the vibe. I'm not sure the 70's are ready for that kinda flow yet.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hemingway is a complicated figure who in some ways did embody a kind of staid hetero machismo but in other ways consistently wrote through and about queer attachments, and alludes to queer sex and desire in some letters as well as entries in his wife's diaries. The big famous example here is his posthumous novel Garden of Eden, about a newlywed couple who sort of begin to shift around gender roles as the wife embraces a kind of germinal non-binary identity. Here's a snippet of a sex scene from it in which the male protagonist is "made into" a woman by the female protagonist:

quote:

He lay there and felt something and then her hand holding him and searching lower and he helped with his hands and then lay back in the dark and did not think at all and only felt the weight and the strangeness inside and she said, “Now you can’t tell who is who can you?”

“No.”

“You are changing,” she said. “Oh you are. You are. Yes you are and you’re my girl Catherine. Will you change and be my girl and let me take you?”

“You’re Catherine.”

“No. I’m Peter. You’re my wonderful Catherine. You’re my beautiful lovely Catherine. You were so good to change. Oh thank you, Catherine, so much. Please understand. Please know and understand. I’m going to make love to you forever.”

It's a very peculiar scene of course, and to me it always kind of calls to mind Virginia Woolf's mutable Orlando.

There's an increasing interest in Am Lit about gender variance in Hemingway's fiction as well as in his life, a lifelong identification with the feminine that at times he only felt comfortable expressing in sexual experiments. It's a pretty rich and contentious field and, frankly, it's a little bit out of my wheelhouse because I spent many years not really having an opinion about him one way or the other.

Of course the question here is still "would Sim have known about any of this?" I have to admit I don't actually want to dig into his footnotes to double check much, but the first edition of Garden of Eden came into print in 1986. This was a heavily abridged version-- some called it mangled-- and I'm not sure how much of the more explicit gender stuff made it into the 1986 edition.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The Hemingway stuff was in later Cerebus, like early 2000's, I think.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pretty great no matter which direction you read it in.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Not Brand Echh #13 (1969)

Panic #3 (1997)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

What issue is this?

Nightwing #81 (current volume, natch)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Phoenix #3 (1975)

X-Men #40 (1995)
Some nicknames don't age well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No that still works fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gee I dunno, Phil
--are you a bish?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't call me a bishoujo! You are a bishoujo!

...why thanks :keke:

edit: uh, "bish" is now an actual defined slang word on dictionaries as it turns out, as coined by rappers apparently. Ever evolving languages.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 26, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC He got mind switched with Peter Parker and implied that while he was in Pete's body he banged MJ (who was still in high school at the time.)

He banged Jean Grey (who was also just a high school student at the time) in Ultimate X-Men, he hit on and tried to sleep with Mary Jane while he was mind swapped with Peter, but was unsuccessful, and the situation was resolved quickly enough there weren't any negative repercussions for Peter, surprisingly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

im re-posting this because i found it again and it re-amused me.

captain america and bucky undercover in captain america comics #2

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Very nice of that Nazi to clean the boogers out of Hitlers nose.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

im re-posting this because i found it again and it re-amused me.

captain america and bucky undercover in captain america comics #2

So is that a Fauntleroy or a Buster Brown suit?

e: Anyway I'm the tracked vehicle with the window for that guy's immense peepis.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #43 (1977)

Spawn #11 (1993)

Ghost Rider 2099 #1 (1994)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I haven't been keeping up with Garth Ennis and even when I was younger I found the Boys and Preacher pretty puerile, but damned if Batman: Reptilian didn't make me chuckle a few times this week (#2):

The sad penguin really makes this one.

rear end in a top hat Batman is the hero I need right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

this one killed me

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How’s the rest of the book?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

How’s the rest of the book?

I really like the art, the depiction of Batman is ridiculous but amusing, and the writing is pretty clever overall. It's dark but silly instead of full-on grim or gross which is more of what I'd expect from Ennis.

We still have yet to meet the antagonist and things could take a turn for the worse, but I'd recommend it so far.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oooh that’s pretty,i’ve always loved the Arkham asylum painted style.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn’t realize that’s Liam Sharp. He was a bit of an odd fit for Green Lantern, but this is perfect for him.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Are those pages cropped or is it a digital comic made in 9:16 ratio?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cropped. The rest of it was less funny.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #27 (1977)

Punisher 2099 #1 (1993)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Punisher 2099 was peak comics and I will not hear otherwise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Set phasers to fuckin owned.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I learned my passion in the good old fashioned school of butt-face boys.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: S.W.O.R.D. (2020) #7

KIRBONS!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Suleman posted:

Source: S.W.O.R.D. (2020) #7

KIRBONS!

Sorry, all I can see here is that DOOM desires TATER TOTS with...chocolate..sauce?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know if I can recall ever seeing Doom eat before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

I don't know if I can recall ever seeing Doom eat before.

The man has standards.