Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a really good read. I love stuff like this and really like the movie so thanks for posting it. Looks like a decent enough website too so I'll check it out.

I got some bad news for you...

That said, Bill Simmons took his crew & formed The Ringer, which is still pretty good IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood:

Dashiki throws a pair of red boxing shorts at Ashtray. They're implied to belong to Mike Tyson, who famously boxed in black trunks.

Also, lots of diegetic east coast rap, despite being set in LA in the 90s. That might actually be a deliberate joke though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's funny that the second Austin Powers movie stars with a text crawl... but apparently it thinks the audience is dumber than Star Wars fans so it's narrated as well.

I mean, you are watching an Austin Powers movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

I mean, you are watching an Austin Powers movie.

I watched the first one again for the first time in years not too long ago and was surprised at how much I liked it, but the sequels just don’t do it for me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The sequels suffer from the usual Mike Myers “take a good joke and run it completely into the ground” and “take a bad joke and run it completely into the ground” bullshit.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The first Austin Powers movie actually had some heart buried under the jokes. It had something to say. The other two had no message beyond "little people are funny"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

The first Austin Powers movie actually had some heart buried under the jokes. It had something to say. The other two had no message beyond "little people are funny"

There's also "poop is funny" and "Mike doing accents is funny, especially his Scottish one"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the first Austin Powers has a nice arc for Austin where he has to learn to respect women and start to understand the benefits of actually having a real relationship. The sequels don't really have anything like that, at least as far as I can remember.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And such time-honored "jokes" as "The existence of people with dwarfism!". See also: Japanese TV and black men, where the appearance of a black man speaking Japanese and doing typical Japanese things is, apparently, the height of comedy.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Michael Caine was pretty good in the last one, but otherwise you are all right.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
The first austin powers was only good because it had this joke..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-438wuWLUDQ

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ardent Communist posted:

This is not the thawed-out piss joke though...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ardent Communist posted:

Are you talking about “I’m having trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE”? Because that’s something he had been doing since before SNL.

EDIT: Reminder that Mike Myers has crammed that Scottish voice into almost everything he’s ever done. SNL, Shrek, Fat Bastard, the father in So I Married an Axe Murderer, Cat in the Hat, etc. I remember being loving shocked it didn’t come out of his big stupid head in Inglourious Basterds.

Pope Corky the IX has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Jul 28, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are you talking about “I’m having trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE”? Because that’s something he had been doing since before SNL.

EDIT: Reminder that Mike Myers has crammed that Scottish voice into almost everything he’s ever done. SNL, Shrek, Fat Bastard, the father in So I Married an Axe Murderer, Cat in the Hat, etc. I remember being loving shocked it didn’t come out of his big stupid head in Inglourious Basterds.

It's in Wayne's World when he's talking about the Leprechaun.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If you really want to know how loving obsessed he is with it, after Chris Farley died and Dreamworks had to scrap all his voice work for Shrek (he had completed something like 90%) they hired Myers for the character. He originally used a different accent and recorded all the dialogue for it. Then he came back in and demanded to re-record everything with the Scottish accent, costing them another $5 million.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IMO my favorite Austin Powers joke is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaLMpTw8-U

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I do want to remind everyone they Dr Evil is Myers doing an impression of Dana Carvey doing an impression of Lorne Michaels. I don't think he ever gave Dana Carvey credit for it either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mike Myers was jealous of Dana Carvey to the point that he tried to have Garth’s role reduced in Wayne’s World.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dana Carvey was always funnier than Mike Myers

That Shrek makes millions in royalties a day and Master of Disguise exits is proof that hollywood is not a meritocracy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Every time I see The Master of Disguise posted I'm forever reminded of this gem.

(imgur seems to be down or I'd screen shot the trivia factoid).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I already know what it is, there's exactly one incredible piece of trivia for the movie and it's the most Something Awful trivia possible.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Haha, no, I thought maybe my username would have gave it away, but I think it's funny that he thought the Reds won the Cold War and he was totally for it. Yet another mole in M16? haha

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I thought the joke was that he was a gutless coward perfectly willing to sell out anything for his own self-preservation, similar to the Simpsons' "I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords". As opposed to "was secretly a communist all along".

But it is a good joke.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Austin Power's sequels are poo poo aside from the joke where Michael Caine says he only hates two things:
People who are intolerant of other cultures and the Dutch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched the first one again for the first time in years not too long ago and was surprised at how much I liked it, but the sequels just don’t do it for me.

I also rewatched it not that long ago and the first movie is funny but very slight. Like almost nothing actually happens in it.

Also it's kind of weird how much everyone poo poo talks his teeth when they aren't that bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Dana Carvey was always funnier than Mike Myers

That Shrek makes millions in royalties a day and Master of Disguise exits is proof that hollywood is not a meritocracy

Think about it this way, if not for those royalties we'd probably have had to suffer at least a few more Mike Myers projects in the past 15 years. At least Shrek gave him the ability to gently caress off and leave us alone.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I also rewatched it not that long ago and the first movie is funny but very slight. Like almost nothing actually happens in it.

Also it's kind of weird how much everyone poo poo talks his teeth when they aren't that bad.

American's get very hung up about teeth.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
After Master of Disguise, Dana Carvey wouldn't appear in another film again for close to a decade, making his grand reappearance in the 2011 Adam Sandler smash hit, Jack and Jill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, part of it was health issues. IIRC he had heart problems.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Well, part of it was health issues. IIRC he had heart problems.

That was back in the 90s, I think. He also did the Rick Moranis thing and wanted to step back to be a family man which I actually do respect, I just think it's funny that he broke his streak for that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

By all accounts, Adam Sandler movies are awesome to be in. It's a two month vacation and you all get paid a bunch of money at the end

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My IMM is that The Love Guru exists and is one of the most intolerable pieces of media in the world.

I watch A LOT of poo poo and that was a painful chore to watch.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Another reminder that Mike Myers insisted that Guru Pitka(?) was his latest and greatest creation that he had been working on for years at comedy clubs all over North America and beyond.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

By all accounts, Adam Sandler movies are awesome to be in.

Unless you're a native american.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oh, absolutely- all of them are just scenes set up to deliver a joke. The first one just bothers to make that joke actually good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The first Austin Powers kind of ran on running poo poo into the ground. Off the top of my head I can remember two scenes that work solely because a joke was drawn out for so long it looped back to being hilarious, when Powers goes to the loo after his deep freeze and when Evil punishes the henchman with a Fez. And of course Austin Powers himself is every joke about spies from the 60s ran through the core of the earth.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst I agree with what most of everyone is saying."Austin Powers 1 is fine and dandy, but the sequels suffer from Mike Myers being very Mike Myers".

My favourite joke in it will always be:
"Who does Number 2 work for?"
"That's right buddy, you show that turd who's boss!"

I am a man of simple tastes.

Re: Mike Myers being such an insufferable shithead. I think a lot of it is due to how I reckon he doesn't get enough people no-selling his insufferable ness. i.e. When he tries his bullshit scottish accent, or racist brown-face Indian wobble head bullshit, I reckon he is usually surrounded by sycophants that laugh and tell him he is a genius. Instead of having someone stone-face it and tell him to cut it out. I mean even look at Waynes World. He tries his best to mug and buffon his way to laughs, but fortunately is reigned in by good direction, and Dana Carvey sat next to him being actually funny.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Another reminder that Mike Myers insisted that Guru Pitka(?) was his latest and greatest creation that he had been working on for years at comedy clubs all over North America and beyond.

The fact that no one called him out on it speaks volumes about, I dunno, something.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

BrigadierSensible posted:

My favourite joke in it will always be:
"Who does Number 2 work for?"
"That's right buddy, you show that turd who's boss!"

I am a man of simple tastes.

A rare instance of Tom Arnold being funny.

Memento posted:

The fact that no one called him out on it speaks volumes about, I dunno, something.

Myer's is Canadian, even his Prime Minister has gotten in on the brownface action a couple of times.

I dunno, I didn't even know about that movie until it was brought up here, so I have no idea what the cultural reaction was like when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

I mean even look at Waynes World. He tries his best to mug and buffon his way to laughs, but fortunately is reigned in by good direction, and Dana Carvey sat next to him being actually funny.

There are two good Myers jokes in the Wayne's World movies. One is "Do you accept cash?", which probably only works because he's smug and insufferable but is still funny. The other is in the second movie when he meets his girlfriend's father and they start talking in Chinese. After a minute Myers says he's uncomfortable with subtitles and asks if they can be badly dubbed into English instead.