Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

repiv posted:

Thanks, got my tester in today... people weren't kidding about MX Browns having almost no tactility compared to just about anything else today :v:

noob takes
- drat zealios are insanely loud for a tactile switch
- drat zilents are underwhelming compared to U4s at half the price

I think the U4 will be my first choice if/when I build something, currently waiting to see how the Q1 turns out

there's no reason to buy Zeal switches in TYOOL 2021 unless you must have that color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

repiv posted:

Thanks, got my tester in today... people weren't kidding about MX Browns having almost no tactility compared to just about anything else today :v:

noob takes
- drat zealios are insanely loud for a tactile switch
- drat zilents are underwhelming compared to U4s at half the price

I think the U4 will be my first choice if/when I build something, currently waiting to see how the Q1 turns out

Gazzew's tactile Boba switches (the U4 and U4Ts) are the best bang for your buck tactile and I will easily recommend them over anything else.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I really want to try their new pink silent linears, they seem to be lighter and I want a keyboard thats quiet but nicer for gaming than the 62g U4's.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I got a Facebook ad for the Mojo68 and while it's cute, I don't want a keeb that small.

I -do- want whatever keyset is on the "Plastic" colorway they're showing - the one with the Enter key that says "REPEATER". Does anyone know what it is? I assume it's from a GB the same company did, but I looked through what they had on their site and couldn't find it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

I got a Facebook ad for the Mojo68 and while it's cute, I don't want a keeb that small.

I -do- want whatever keyset is on the "Plastic" colorway they're showing - the one with the Enter key that says "REPEATER". Does anyone know what it is? I assume it's from a GB the same company did, but I looked through what they had on their site and couldn't find it.

Sold through on Drop - https://drop.com/buy/melgeek-dye-subbed-pbt-mda-plastic-keycap-set

Looks like Ali ripped it off though... https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002332527027.html

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Got my Matcha Green switches on my Keychron C1 - much better than the Ocean Blues, especially for gaming.

I even got tiny o-rings to try as a small hack I saw online to help deepen the sound since the C1 is all plastic. Also debating doing a silicone pour to add more sound dampening.

You could trying buying a roll of 3-5mm foam from a hardware store and stacking a layer or two in the case to get the same effect. I have done this with a few keyboards and like the result, I imagine foam is also easier to remove than silicone if you decide you don't like it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Epsilon Plus posted:

I got in on the reservation so I can get it for $149. I've wanted that cap set ever since I've seen it, so getting a board with it is just a bonus (you don't get a full cap set, just what's on the board, but still.)

The cap set is Melgeek Plastic fwiw: https://drop.com/buy/melgeek-dye-subbed-pbt-mda-plastic-keycap-set

I just want it because it gives me real OK Computer vibes.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Finally got around to building the Jelly last night but I'm stuck with the gaskets part. I can't seem to get the PCB to flush in. Already tried having it face upwards with the bump thing but it only goes in on the bottom or top but not both.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Oh, it comes with keycaps? God... do I like that aesthetic enough?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Disharmony posted:

Finally got around to building the Jelly last night but I'm stuck with the gaskets part. I can't seem to get the PCB to flush in. Already tried having it face upwards with the bump thing but it only goes in on the bottom or top but not both.

Can you take a picture of what you mean? I had no issue with this. You may need tweezers to gently push the edge of the gaskets so it will slide into the enclosure.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

interrodactyl posted:

Can you take a picture of what you mean? I had no issue with this. You may need tweezers to gently push the edge of the gaskets so it will slide into the enclosure.

Sorry, here's some pics. I have them as thumbs so just click on them if you need it bigger.

This is probably the wrong orientation since I've watched a number of build videos and I've never seen it attached this way but it's the one where I get the best results. When I have the gaskets facing this way, the bottom part (or top) correctly slots in, I just can't get the other part to go down.

But when I follow the build videos with the gaskets facing the other side, it doesn't slide in on any of the slots at all and just hangs.

Fwiw this is my first time building a gasket keyboard so I have no idea what I'm doing, just basing it on whatever build video I can find.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Disharmony posted:

Fwiw this is my first time building a gasket keyboard so I have no idea what I'm doing, just basing it on whatever build video I can find.

Okay, well, luckily there is a build guide (found on their discord): https://docs.google.com/document/d/19lCcLugxWQx_lNNhtUjKT15Iky2FnOzaRmMNlFv1uos/edit

First off, like the build guide references, there are tabs on the bottom and top of the PCB that you need to tear off. It will be a little scary and require a bit of pressure, but I promise you WILL NOT break your PCB as long as you are careful. Once you do that, it will fit into the enclosure. Right now your PCB is a little too tall on each side.

Also, your switches are not fully seated into the plate. The polycabonate plate is super flexy so you need to pull it up to make sure it stays even. You can see what I mean in some of the switches in the corner that you have on your last post.

Try following the build guide and let me know if you have more issues, happy to help debug.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Now that makes sense! I knew something was funky when I couldn't get them to go down even without the gaskets.

Do I need to remove all the switches and start back from scratch when tearing the PCB or I can do that at its current state?

Edit: Tore them off and looks like it's smooth sailing from here :)
Will reseat the switches too, thanks!

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 29, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:eyepop: bobas

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
I thought there was someone inquiring about a full size keyboard that is hot-swappable. This evga full size just popped up for $50 bucks US.

I've no idea if you have to modify the switches (clipping stems), quality, sound, or what the software is like. However for 50 bucks for a full size that says hot-swappable and rbg, it might be worth a gamble.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Got my Jelly up and running! Big thanks to /u/interrodactyl for the huge assist :)

Granted my past keyboards were a Keychron K2 and NK65EE but I can see now why this board is hyped to the moon and drawing crazy aftermarket dollars. The sound really is amazing.

My only niggle is that the edges are a bit rougu/sharp so it can get uncomfortable when the wrists snag it.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 30, 2021

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I got a Corsair K70 the other day and I swear I have reached a new level of paranoia about having anything near it at all because I'm freaked out about loving it up by spilling something on it, despite not having spilled anything on any electronics I've owned my entire life. I really like how it feels but god this is a stressful keyboard and I have no idea how much the internet exaggerates about how delicate they are and if a single drop of moisture hits a switch the whole thing needs to be tossed.
Maybe I should have gotten the K68 or get a silicone cover or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HellOnEarth posted:

I got a Corsair K70 the other day and I swear I have reached a new level of paranoia about having anything near it at all because I'm freaked out about loving it up by spilling something on it, despite not having spilled anything on any electronics I've owned my entire life. I really like how it feels but god this is a stressful keyboard and I have no idea how much the internet exaggerates about how delicate they are and if a single drop of moisture hits a switch the whole thing needs to be tossed.
Maybe I should have gotten the K68 or get a silicone cover or something.

It's good to be careful but the majority of spills aren't ruinous and can be fixed if you pull the plug fast and don't try to plug it back in until it's all taken apart and cleaned and dried. Even if some moisture has gotten into a switch you can often desolder and clean or replace it. I see a lot of posts from folks who get electronics wet who think if the outside of the device is dry they can just use it after letting it sit overnight, but that won't really do much to getting little droplets out of crevices which is often where they bridge contacts or whatever. I've got plenty of keyboards that are from the 90s and 80s that still work fine and a couple have had spills. I had to desolder some switches on one and put on some new ones but it's not that tough since most keyboard switches are through-hole. The only real exception would be if the controller got cooked since a lot of the big manufacturers are proprietary (or run proprietary firmware at least).

My best drinks advice would be that if you're going to drink by the computer avoid tall cups or glasses that are easy to knock over, use cups with tops, spill proof coffee mugs or water bottles, or drink from a bottle with a cap you can put back on. There's also GAMER DESKS with cup holders now but they're pretty hideous.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I got a Das 4 as a daily driver for work last week, with MX Brown switches. I had been using a Corsair MK2 RGB with MX Silent; the main issue with that board (besides sketchy RGB wiring and egregiously performance shredding RGB control software) is that the supplied keycaps are utter garbage. I have two of these, the one on my gaming PC is still fine, and the one from my work PC that was being typed and coded on a lot has like 8-9 keys with partially busted caps. I RMA'd it, but I am keeping the replacement as a backup for the gaming PC and needed something else.

A week of digging convinced me that I want to own 1-2 keyboards each from Ducky and Drop and probably a couple other companies, but figuring out exactly what I want is going to take a while and I needed to "just do something", so this is what I did. Some people love the Das for its low profile; I don't, hence the cherry wrist rest and $12 angled KB tray. (I may experiment with different typing angles).

All of which is to say, when the replacement corsair gets here, I will have 2-3 generally functional $150+ mechanicals in storage, two that are in active use, and I have plans to get 2-3 more over the next year, but some of this can be attributed to me being nuts and some of it can be attributed to "the right tool for the job", when I set my outdoor office up (for instance) I want a mechanical with no extended keys as well as a choice of switches... yes, I am an insane loving gear nerd.

Anyway, my take on the Das initially is it's a bit overpriced because if you go $50-100 over this mark you have a lot more options in terms of customizable things, but if you just need something that will ship instantly, weighs enough to brain a ferret, and at least feels like it will hold up to some years of hard typing, this is totally fine. The volume knob is as sexy to use as my friends told me but that's a loving moronic selling point for a keyboard.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Best picture I found for what I need is off a Reddit thread. It's the two outside stabalizers for the spacebar for a Razer Huntsman keyboard. Are they going to be something I have to try and get from Razer, or are they some sort of generic stabalizers? The reply's on the thread said a keycap set from Razer includes the stabalizers as part of the new spacebar. Not too keen to pay 30 bucks for a keycap set when I only spent 20 on the keyboard in the first place.

Picture Here

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Built the Preonic. Put in a layer of 40 duro sorbothane and lubed the stabs for the the little 2u spacebar. With the lavenders and the foam it's so quiet. My wife is amazed. The only difficult thing is that I need to train my hands a bit since I keep trying to use shift and backspace with my thumbs based on using the Atreus for a while.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

After like, 8 years of using my trusty old cherry red Corsair K65 I've bought a new keyboard - I was tired of having to keep 2/3 sets of equipment on my desk for my work laptop, windows desktop and macbook depending on what I was working on/doing and grabbed a Keychron K8 with the hot-swappable browns. The easy-switching bluetooth profiles was definitely a selling point, much as I know bluetooth is a bit of a blasphemy with mechs.

I've got to say, holy loving poo poo this thing is a thousand times quieter than that old corsair and feels pretty good to type on - though I will say the browns tactical bump seems basically non-existent with these switches and the spacebar is kinda mushy overall. I'm gathering if I want something quiet but with more of the feeling I was after I should be considering the Boba U4 Silents to swap in to this thing? I'm not a huge PC-gamer these days so I'd rather err on the side of comfortable typing and noise reduction over gamer friendly if I'm compromising between them.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Vegastar posted:

After like, 8 years of using my trusty old cherry red Corsair K65 I've bought a new keyboard - I was tired of having to keep 2/3 sets of equipment on my desk for my work laptop, windows desktop and macbook depending on what I was working on/doing and grabbed a Keychron K8 with the hot-swappable browns. The easy-switching bluetooth profiles was definitely a selling point, much as I know bluetooth is a bit of a blasphemy with mechs.

I've got to say, holy loving poo poo this thing is a thousand times quieter than that old corsair and feels pretty good to type on - though I will say the browns tactical bump seems basically non-existent with these switches and the spacebar is kinda mushy overall. I'm gathering if I want something quiet but with more of the feeling I was after I should be considering the Boba U4 Silents to swap in to this thing? I'm not a huge PC-gamer these days so I'd rather err on the side of comfortable typing and noise reduction over gamer friendly if I'm compromising between them.

Boba U4s would fit the bill perfectly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Koskun posted:

Best picture I found for what I need is off a Reddit thread. It's the two outside stabalizers for the spacebar for a Razer Huntsman keyboard. Are they going to be something I have to try and get from Razer, or are they some sort of generic stabalizers? The reply's on the thread said a keycap set from Razer includes the stabalizers as part of the new spacebar. Not too keen to pay 30 bucks for a keycap set when I only spent 20 on the keyboard in the first place.

Picture Here

Can you pull them out of the spacebar and put them in the new one? Some of the other stabilizers are like that, but I haven't seen those before, they might be razer specific. I'd hit up razer support and ask if they sell them or can send them to you, sometimes companies are generous about little things like that, sometimes not.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Vegastar posted:

Boba U4 Silents are definitely what you'd want. They're eerily quiet especially if you've been used to mechanical switches for a while.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I'm going to need to look harder before I give up, but I managed to lose a keycap in the process of cleaning my board and swapping in some new keycaps. I'm so pissed. The new caps don't even look that good - I mixed Tai-Hao Rainbow Sherbert and Mykonos keycaps to try to match a deskmat I have, and the top row is way darker/greener than I thought it would be. Pissed that I lost a keycap for something that looks bad anyways.

Anyways... if I don't find this single loving R2 quote key, Tai-Hao doesn't sell PBT singles on their site, do they? I found this link for ABS keycap singles, but their website is kind of a mess to navigate in English.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Constellation I posted:

Boba U4 Silents are definitely what you'd want. They're eerily quiet especially if you've been used to mechanical switches for a while.

Looks like I grabbed them from mkultra just in time - seems like some kind of vendor drama going on there, but I got 90 of the U4 Silent Tactiles on the way.

Also 2 sets of beautiful, garish neon keycaps from Akko because I have no self-control and want to try out a couple other key profiles (EVA-01 theme in ASA and the Neon in Cherry).

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Vegastar posted:

Looks like I grabbed them from mkultra just in time - seems like some kind of vendor drama going on there, but I got 90 of the U4 Silent Tactiles on the way.

thanks for the heads up. I somehow thought it was a good idea to only replace some of my keys with U4s, but now can't stand being reminded of how I used to live

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Ringerkeys has plenty of Boba U4 and U4Ts, no vendor drama, and they ship out your order next day (as long as you buy before 8/4 because the owner is going on vacation).

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Gazzew's site also has a list of authorized vendors: https://www.gazzew.com/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of Bobas, is there any reason not to get the clear-top versions? I noticed they're the same price as the opaque versions and can't think why you wouldn't get the clear versions, unless the opaque housings have better tolerances or something.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
While also on the topic of the Boba Silent U4s, are they good to go for slapping in a hotswap board or do they need to be lubed up? I've seen some say that they need to be lubed because they are a bit scratchy out of the box and I'm not sure how much patience I have for lubing.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

puppy party posted:

While also on the topic of the Boba Silent U4s, are they good to go for slapping in a hotswap board or do they need to be lubed up? I've seen some say that they need to be lubed because they are a bit scratchy out of the box and I'm not sure how much patience I have for lubing.

You don't need to lube them. Gazzew has a method though if you must.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

repiv posted:

Speaking of Bobas, is there any reason not to get the clear-top versions? I noticed they're the same price as the opaque versions and can't think why you wouldn't get the clear versions, unless the opaque housings have better tolerances or something.

They are very slightly higher pitched (but it's mostly imperceptible). The housing material is mostly the same but you're never going to get the same exact mix from a transparent and opaque top. Even different colors / dyes can affect the sound of a switch - but again, mostly imperceptible.

If you care about shine-through RGB then yeah, go for the clear tops.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

My only reason for getting the clear top Bobas (62g) was that I wanted a way to visually differentiate them from the opaque 67g ones I already had. I cannot hear any difference in sound but I am also not sensitive at all to that.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my GMMK pro should be shipping soon i think
now i just need to worry about how im going to keep that poo poo clean because it's not a floating-key board and i cba to pull all the keycaps off every week

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hbag posted:

my GMMK pro should be shipping soon i think
now i just need to worry about how im going to keep that poo poo clean because it's not a floating-key board and i cba to pull all the keycaps off every week

Sup keyboard buddy.

Just got mine slapped together today. I have been using two old Leopold FC200RT as my daily drivers (one at home, one at office) for over a decade now. The Leopold's both have Cherry MX Blue switches.

I got the GMMK with Gateron Blue (also ordered a set of green). I am loving this so far. Much quieter than the old board, higher pitched sound while typing, but zero complaints. This thing feels sturdy enough to bludgeon someone with.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of any services out there for printing custom keycaps? I’ve used WASDKeyboards for this a couple times and have been pretty satisfied with them, but I sometimes wish they had a wider selection of cap colors/profiles.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Trip report after a few days with the Preonic. It's quite nice to type with, and gaming isn't that bad once I flashed a new keymap to move Ctrl out to the bottom corner and fix the backlight button. One thing I've noticed is that the ortholinear layout changes what keys are easier to hit while doing a standard Kb+m WASD movement. I think I need to rebind everything in FFXIV to support ESDF as that honestly feels a bit more natural for where my hands sit. 5 is now almost as far away as 6 is on a standard staggered column keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Looks like Glorious is releasing a linear switch

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-glorious-lynx

quote:

Style: Linear
Bottom-Out Force: 60g± Variance
PCB Mount: 5-pin

Top Shell - Unique teal blue polycarbonate top housing.

Stem - Soft and flexible POM stem provides an unbelievably smooth operation.

Spring - Proprietary spring with nickel plating sourced from Korea.

Leaf - Premium-grade copper sourced from Japan.

Bottom Shell - High-quality nylon bottom housing sourced from Belgium.

Same price as their Pandas, factory lubed for an extra :10bux: