Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

vandalism posted:

I am not anti vaccine. I am vaccinated from birth. If I had kids, they would have been as well. I am not even anti covid vaccine, assuming a person falls under the correct parameters to receive an emergency vaccine with no long-term testing.

People who have underlying conditions should definitely have the option to get the covid vaccine. There should definitely be an option for everyone to have it.

I am grossly concerned with the entire population being pressured into taking an emergency vaccine that they may or may not really need or benefit from. People who have already had covid might not need it. Some vaccinated people have side effects from the vaccine that haven't gone away.

Sure, they may have gotten some lasting side effects from covid... but then again they may not have. They may not have even gotten covid.

The point that I am making is that the vaccine is not a one-size fits all solution. Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

Next time you think pharmaceutical companies have your best interest in mind, remember that bayer sold hiv infected medication to third world countries because they knew that they could get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oops, turns out that nature hikes might not be such a great way to get away from covid carriers. The woods are full of infected deer.

https://twitter.com/sarperotto/status/1420428787372552197
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/stakeholder-messages/wildlife-damage-news/deer-sars

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Once all the wild animals learn about our vaccine they will come after us... Unlucky hikers and joggers brought down by the swarms of squirrels and rabbits and deer all eager to drink deep in the vaxx blood

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Vaccines are not an individual benefit, it takes a group effort to combat highly transmittable diseases. If everyone doesn't do it, the disease will continue to spread and mutate. Come on people, we've had over a year to get on board with the concept

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oops, turns out that nature hikes might not be such a great way to get away from covid carriers. The woods are full of infected deer.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/stakeholder-messages/wildlife-damage-news/deer-sars

deer, famously an animal that comes close to human beings at every opportunity

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1420440416512471042?s=19

Basically Alberta is abandoning any type of measure to curb Covid 19

Sorry Alberta goons you're hosed.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the point is more, if deer get it too what else does, and it provides a place for the virus to continue to exist and evolve (nobodys gonna vaccinate all the deer) in perpetuity which increases the chances of spillover back to humans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Riptor posted:

Snowglobe is Australian and may expect deer to hop up and throw punches like kangaroos. :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reported in the FL local thread:

Just need Broward to jump on this when the officials have a 5 minute break from agreeing to let Elon build a tunnel system in an area that is at sea level.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schmeichy posted:

Vaccines are not an individual benefit, it takes a group effort to combat highly transmittable diseases. If everyone doesn't do it, the disease will continue to spread and mutate. Come on people, we've had over a year to get on board with the concept

It's complicated. Polls repeatedly show that 20% - 30% of unvaccinated adults want to get the jab but still haven't managed it
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-unvaccinated-refuse-shot-axios-ipsos-poll-8f581639-f1c8-4197-bb6f-0bd9d54edb14.html

Making the vaccination free and legislating that employees get 4 hrs sick leave especially to get vaccinated just isn't a good enough level of access in many cases, there's a whole bunch of people out there working 2 or 3 jobs who just can't get to a vaxx clinic or just can't afford to take several days off if they get bad side effects. It's going to be real difficult to get those last few unvaccinated adults who want the juice across the line.

....... and of course there's still the 50% - 60+% percent of unvaccinated adults who don't want the vaccine who are just going to gently caress it up for everyone else anyway

Mozi posted:

nobodys gonna vaccinate all the deer)

I will vaccinate the deer

Platystemon posted:

Snowglobe is Australian and may expect deer to hop up and throw punches like kangaroos. :v:

:colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-jxH1Dm9A

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
we need to build arks and get all the animals onboard and vaccinate them all 2 by 2

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The dosing is very different for 5-11s and 6 months to 5 years compared to adults so yeah this is a terrible idea.
A wide range of doses (10, 30 and 100 mg) was tested in adults in phase 1 without any serious issues--side effects were worse at 100 and there wasn't a big benefit to antibody levels, hence sticking to 30. While targeting it exactly is best I am not sure that the risks will outweigh the benefits in this case. For many vaccines the dose for babies is the same as the dose for adults (and in some cases the dosage is actually lower in adults because of side effects), so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Maybe it's a bridge too far but waiting is going to be expensive as well.
We'll see what they settle on in a couple months but in the mean time we're in for a world of hurt.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 28, 2021

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

vandalism posted:

"Vaccine development is a long, complex process, often lasting 10-15 years and involving a combination of public and private involvement."
https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/11/clinical-trial-success-rates-phase-and-therapeutic-area-14845

There is a 66% chance that the covid vaccine would not pass all regulatory provisions according the previous clinical data.

This is basically the same thing as saying a basketball team in the finals up by 20 in the fourth quarter has the same odds of winning the championship as the preseason estimates. No reasonable person would think that made sense.

All the vaccines under EUA have had massive phase III trials completed at time of EUA, and had passed phase I and II (which are not regulatory decisions, but rather the decision of the company to advance the drug to the next phase). Even a 15% chance that the vaccines wouldn't get approved is too high, since the phase III data was very efficacious.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

A wide range of doses (10, 30 and 100 mg) was tested in adults in phase 1 without any serious issues--side effects were worse at 100 and there wasn't a big benefit to antibody levels, hence sticking to 30. While targeting it exactly is best I am not sure that the risks will outweigh the benefits in this case. For many vaccines the dose for babies is the same as the dose for adults (and in some cases the dosage is actually lower in adults because of side effects), so it wouldn't be unprecedented. Maybe it's a bridge too far but waiting is going to be expensive as well.
We'll see what they settle on in a couple months but in the mean time we're in for a world of hurt.

And they also did phase 1 trials for under 12s where they tested 10mg, 20mg, and the adult 30mg dosage, resulting in the absolute lowest for 5-11s and an even smaller dose than 10mg for the under 5s. They haven't released the full results as far as I can tell but to me that says they probably found some indication that 30mg may not be a good idea for a 2 year old.

Once again, children are not tiny adults. especially when it comes to medicine. Institute NPIs in schools, do virtual for the fall if needed, yell and scream at the government until that happens but yeah just shoving an adult dose untested into a child is not a good alternative especially when prior trials settled on that not being a good idea.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 28, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mozi posted:

the point is more, if deer get it too what else does, and it provides a place for the virus to continue to exist and evolve (nobodys gonna vaccinate all the deer) in perpetuity which increases the chances of spillover back to humans

enfield was right all along

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The core study supporting ivermectin was retracted because the data was totally fraudulent. Not just bad, but outright fabricated.

I think another of the less-bad (not better, but less bad) studies touted for it was retracted recently too.

The ivermectin concentration required to kill SARS-CoV-2 in vitro doesn't appear achievable in the body. Like, taking 8.5x the FDA-approved dose results in blood concentrations of something like 1/200 what was used to kill it in petri dishes.

In short, Bret Weinstein sucks rear end and should go die in a freak grease fire.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/LaurenPelley/status/1420505702175551490?s=19

Lol everybody in Alberta is going to die

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

What the gently caress.

Also, Australia has a feral deer population. I wonder how long it's going to take for us to have our very own natural reservoir.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m circulating a petition to sanction Alberta as a state sponsor of bioterrorism.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stab posted:

Alberta
:trumppop:

Well that takes the cake

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I mean, I wasn't planning on open-mouthed kissing any deer

anymore

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Riptor posted:

look at how fast it goes through humans, all it takes is one dumb rear end with covid to offer food to one curious and hungry animal to expose it and poof! cervid-19

the concern as mozi says is, if it jumps the species barrier then that's more reservoirs to breed more variants that could be passed back to humans

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 29, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

friday it will be two weeks since my 2nd shot

IM GOING TO CHUCK E CHEESE'S!!!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Riptor posted:

People hunt and eat deer. Remember that our current best guess on how transmission in humans started is that it jumped from bats to humans through an intermediate species used for food.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

vandalism posted:

I am not anti vaccine. I am vaccinated from birth. If I had kids, they would have been as well. I am not even anti covid vaccine, assuming a person falls under the correct parameters to receive an emergency vaccine with no long-term testing.

People who have underlying conditions should definitely have the option to get the covid vaccine. There should definitely be an option for everyone to have it.

I am grossly concerned with the entire population being pressured into taking an emergency vaccine that they may or may not really need or benefit from. People who have already had covid might not need it. Some vaccinated people have side effects from the vaccine that haven't gone away.

Sure, they may have gotten some lasting side effects from covid... but then again they may not have. They may not have even gotten covid.

The point that I am making is that the vaccine is not a one-size fits all solution. Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

Next time you think pharmaceutical companies have your best interest in mind, remember that bayer sold hiv infected medication to third world countries because they knew that they could get away with it.

I read this earlier and just want to say this post is very stupid. It's basically twisted concern trolling and your throwaway opener doesn't help.

Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

I can't even agree about big phrama being greedy because this is so stupid and aligning with just a part of it, a kernel of truth, is how stupid rear end misinformation spreads online. Any other maga drugs you wanna recommend to folks?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Looks like its just me going to work and sitting inside of my room for the rest of my life. Gonna invest in VR. gently caress these stupid rear end people.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Once again, children are not tiny adults. especially when it comes to medicine.
This is how it feels intuitively, but usually the doses for vaccines are the same for kids and adults. They don't act the same as drugs that way. A few do have kid/adult variations (kids get less HepA/B, adults get less D and P in their TDP) to optimize side effects vs efficacy but it's not universal and also unlikely to be a matter of critical safety.
Will that be very different for mrna vaccines? Maybe, it's a real risk. Easy for me to dismiss since I don't have kids or make policy. The current plan to just pizza blast unprotected schoolkids with adult-sized doses of delta particles is awfully frustrating.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Katamari Democracy posted:

Looks like its just me going to work and sitting inside of my room for the rest of my life. Gonna invest in VR. gently caress these stupid rear end people.

If only there had been mandatory 2 week quarantine for all travelers, we could have kept Delta out of the vulnerable Americas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

The current plan to just pizza blast unprotected schoolkids with adult-sized doses of delta particles is awfully frustrating.

???

Pfizer and Moderna are both trying lower doses.

e: My bad. Misread.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 29, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Platystemon posted:

???

Pfizer and Moderna are both trying lower doses.
Absolutely, it's just going to come after they go back to school, as we go into fall while the delta wave is really ramping up. It'll be too late for a lot of kids and a lot of people they spread it to.
But it's dumb anyway, if I'm going to be hypothetical, to worry about this thing that won't happen vs other more achievable things like proper mask usage which there could still be a slim chance at.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lolie posted:

People hunt and eat deer. Remember that our current best guess on how transmission in humans started is that it jumped from bats to humans through an intermediate species used for food.

Maybe but this is America and not China.

Patient Zero of the Omicron variant will definitely get it from loving a dead deer.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

John_A_Tallon posted:

If only there had been mandatory 2 week quarantine for all travelers, we could have kept Delta out of the vulnerable Americas

People were going to riot because of politics. People have such a huge Ego and think this Covid thing is over but in reality its getting worse. But the "gently caress you got mine" smoothbrained chuds who signed their death warrant are spreading disinformation faster than shooting hot covid loads out of sick people's lungs. And this poo poo is going to spread like wildfire.

I do not have many friends outside of the internet. But the ones that are my friends all now have Covid. Thankfully they are vaccinated and all so I hope they pull through it.

You guys might remember back in January I had to go to the hospital because of Covid. And now that I have confirmed long covid, I got the jab when I got this new job working for a medical logistics company. So in a way I am protected through strengthened immune system and two shots. But the reality is that I know A LOT of people who do not want to get the shot because of the poo poo that's going on right now and it terrifies me. So if I wear a mask now in public do I need to look over my shoulder over some redneck who wants to shoot me in the back of the head for following along with what the Government recommends me to do?

This poo poo is like the beginning of biblical endings. Sorry to sound doomy but I am scared shitless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe but this is America and not China.

Patient Zero of the Omicron variant will definitely get it from loving a dead deer.

I’ve seen enough AUG engagement/wedding announcements to know that this is accurate.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Katamari Democracy posted:

Same. But I already had a headset before the pandemic started so I guess I had a head start.

This past year and a half has pretty much sapped whatever progress I was making on my mental health. Like I'd finally started feeling good and confident about myself, I'd just moved into a new house and I was set to start working on going out and doing things, traveling around, finding local clubs to join, etc. Then the pandemic hit and it totally mentally and emotionally drained me. Like I can't even commit to making use of all this free time, I just totally shut down and I feel like I used to do when I was just miserable and depressed almost all the time.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

King Vidiot posted:

Same. But I already had a headset before the pandemic started so I guess I had a head start.

This past year and a half has pretty much sapped whatever progress I was making on my mental health. Like I'd finally started feeling good and confident about myself, I'd just moved into a new house and I was set to start working on going out and doing things, traveling around, finding local clubs to join, etc. Then the pandemic hit and it totally mentally and emotionally drained me. Like I can't even commit to making use of all this free time, I just totally shut down and I feel like I used to do when I was just miserable and depressed almost all the time.

Yeah Covid has brought out the worst in people. It also lead to me to sever from my mother and sister. So now I am pretty much alone with my adopted brother and his family. Thankfully they are not stupid and took me in.

I was really wanting to get back into the arcades and play a dancing game called Pump it Up like how I used to a long time ago. But that dream is gone now. Oh well. Guess ill work out at home.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

What the gently caress, does the Alberta government all have Trump brainworms?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

People are gonna start going to brunch after popping positive.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
So let me get this straight. You guys would really rather have government mandated vaccination and vaccine passports than freedom to choose whether or not to be vaccinated? You guys support workplaces and colleges requiring vaccines, even though they haven't gone through the proper testing set up by the FDA? Is that what you really want? Or are you just saying these things because that is what seems socially acceptable or right to say?

Edit: I didn't know that the ivermectin poo poo was under scrutiny or has been questioned for falsified numbers. There are new developments all the time with this poo poo. I am extremely open minded, so yeah, de wormer poo poo that just may have worked to prevent or treat covid seemed like something worth exploring and a better alternative to death/weird freaky untested vaccine poo poo.

This journal article seems to back up claims of efficacy at prevention and treatment:

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/08000/ivermectin_for_prevention_and_treatment_of.7.aspx

I think it is pretty ignorant and short sighted to sit around and call anyone who questions poo poo a chud, or tell people to gently caress off if exploring possible solutions to problems. Assuming, of course, that the foundation is strong.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 29, 2021

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

vandalism posted:

So let me get this straight. You guys would really rather have government mandated vaccination and vaccine passports than freedom to choose whether or not to be vaccinated? You guys support workplaces and colleges requiring vaccines, even though they haven't gone through the proper testing set up by the FDA? Is that what you really want? Or are you just saying these things because that is what seems socially acceptable or right to say?

lol lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

vandalism posted:

Yes. Yes. Yes. And no.

And the vaccines did go through what the FDA deemed proper testing they even wrote several guidance documents on it.

https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/development-and-licensure-vaccines-prevent-covid-19

https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-prevent-covid-19