Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Used 3060s have flooded the chinese market, but it's not the same with the 3080 as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, no, there's still no reliable way to get a 3080 that isn't heavily marked up, nor will there be for several more months at least.

Also props to Gigabyte for being the board partner with the lowest markup on the newegg shuffle. Saw some $400 3060s on there the other day, and there's some $900 3080s and $1200 3080 Tis today (gasp, MSRP!). Granted, they're still forcing you to buy some useless motherboards and poo poo alongside them, but it's still better than the bullshit Asus, EVGA, MSI, and Zotac have been pulling.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I kind of forgot I'm in it, but the 3090 step-up queue seems to be stalled since the 3080ti came out. Granted I joined it hella late on 5/28(because I ordered the wrong 210 initially), but drat I expected to have a card by now given the turn around times people were seeing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can't imagine evga in particular has a lot of 3090s spare what with that New World fiasco.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Used 3060s have flooded the chinese market, but it's not the same with the 3080 as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, no, there's still no reliable way to get a 3080 that isn't heavily marked up, nor will there be for several more months at least.

Also props to Gigabyte for being the board partner with the lowest markup on the newegg shuffle. Saw some $400 3060s on there the other day, and there's some $900 3080s and $1200 3080 Tis today (gasp, MSRP!). Granted, they're still forcing you to buy some useless motherboards and poo poo alongside them, but it's still better than the bullshit Asus, EVGA, MSI, and Zotac have been pulling.

I ended up getting an Asus KO 3070 and a Strix Z590 MB that isn't half bad from the shuffle.
MB is going into a media editing PC so at least it's getting some use.

The markup was not the best, but at least I can sell my other card and make some of it back.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

CoolCab posted:

can't imagine evga in particular has a lot of 3090s spare what with that New World fiasco.

I honestly missed this. what happened?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

KidDynamite posted:

I honestly missed this. what happened?

some combination esoteric hardware bug and poorly optimized game code bricked a bunch of 3090s, EVGA being hit hardest (in part because they've moved the most 3090s). EVGA is going to need to replace a bunch of them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i mean, i live in china and have been halfway paying attention and even with used cards on the market 3060s are still going for 150% msrp, which is about what a 3070 “should” be

the 3060 ti launched at ¥2999 and today i finally saw a few going for under ¥4000 for the first time since last year. they’re mostly still ¥4400-¥5000. the non ti 3060 is going for ¥3200 at the very cheapest secondhand listing i can find, with new ones going for ¥3900 to ¥5000 or so

even here, with secondhand crypto cards, it’s still obscenely expensive

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CoolCab posted:

some combination esoteric hardware bug and poorly optimized game code bricked a bunch of 3090s, EVGA being hit hardest (in part because they've moved the most 3090s). EVGA is going to need to replace a bunch of them.

and by "bricked" we mean "tried to spin the fans at 200,000rpm"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

EVGA claims that something like 50 cards got fried only. Not like we have any context ourselves. The press saw one or two forum posts and wrote up articles acting like it's a widespread problem.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
50 sounds about right when you consider how many people own 3090s, and of that group how many would be playing new world day one.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Igor did some write ups, other cards (even with AMD chips) can freak out with high fps spikes, in other games too. But it's EVGA's specific fan controller setup that causes the controller chip to go haywire and burn out, leading to "dead" cards more than other vendors.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

i think you mean very well optimized game code
so well optimized you could get a trillion fps

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Party Boat posted:

and by "bricked" we mean "tried to spin the fans at 200,000rpm"

Really not "tried to spin the fans at 200,000 RPM" it's more like "managed to evade the various levels of GPU power consumption restriction for subsystems and dump too much power into one particular part of the GPU and break it."

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I imagine when people booted up the game, the scenes inside the GPU where like the Chernobyl control room as they noticed the mega power surge

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The Sayano-Shushenskaya Dam disaster might be more appropriate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

Lord Stimperor posted:

I imagine when people booted up the game, the scenes inside the GPU where like the Chernobyl control room as they noticed the mega power surge

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Roumba posted:

The Sayano-Shushenskaya Dam disaster might be more appropriate.

I remember reading about that one. Creepy poo poo. Heavy metal go spin fast. Heavy metal break. Oh oh.

I lived very close to a power plant when one of their turbines went off and blew a hole into the roof. Luckily no one died as it occured in the night when few people were around.

I awoke to a loud noise and was confused why the road lights were off in the dark, and why the city was cleaning the street in the middle of the night. What I thought was a street cleaning engine turned out to be the howling that came through the open power plant roof.

The howling in the unexpected darkness made for a pretty neat, spooky experience. Also gives you a very mild preview how confusing a real disaster is for the people in the middle of it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lord Stimperor posted:

Eh, 3.6 röntgen; not great not terrible.

Edit: As a junior in college working in genetics we had an old ultracentrifuge with integrated freezer to help cool it at 80% max, the fastest we let it ever run. An extremely smart sophomore (no sarcasm; she was brilliant which is why she was in a jr/sr lab). She forgot one Friday afternoon to exactly balance her materials. The rotor ended up punching a hole and flying through a cinder block wall and embedding itself in some alumni’s truck in the Grove. He was smoking meats and drinking beer getting his spot ready for the Alabama game on Saturday. The rotor barely missed his head and demolished his tailgate and portable refrigerator (I didn’t see that stuff, but I was watching the centrifuge from about 30’ away and saw it punch the hole to get outside to the Grove).
Balance. Your. Equipment.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 29, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DerekSmartymans posted:

Eh, 3.6 röntgen; not great not terrible.

Edit: As a junior in college working in genetics we had an old ultracentrifuge with integrated freezer to help cool it at 80% max, the fastest we let it ever run. An extremely smart sophomore (no sarcasm; she was brilliant which is why she was in a jr/sr lab). She forgot one Friday afternoon to exactly balance her materials. The rotor ended up punching a hole and flying through a cinder block wall and embedding itself in some alumni’s truck in the Grove. He was smoking meats and drinking beer getting his spot ready for the Alabama game on Saturday. The rotor barely missed his head and demolished his tailgate and portable refrigerator (I didn’t see that stuff, but I was watching the centrifuge from about 30’ away and saw it punch the hole to get outside to the Grove).
Balance. Your. Equipment.

So what was the aftermath

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Alan Smithee posted:

Balance was restored to the centrifugal force

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sup thread, can I walk into a store and get a 1 year old graphics card below 200% msrp yet? No? Alright

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Sup thread, can I walk into a store and get a 1 year old graphics card below 200% msrp yet? No? Alright

Newegg has been sending out promo emails each morning (at 3 AM EST...) for 1660s and 1660 supers at like $300 as part of their summer sale. They've been sold out when I tried, but if you stay up to snag one when they drop, maybe?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
overclockers in the uk recently reopened preorders for the 3060, 3060ti and 3070 at (partner) msrp and people got them shipped, they ran out but they were up for like at least a day or two. for sure getting better.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

change my name posted:

Newegg has been sending out promo emails each morning (at 3 AM EST...) for 1660s and 1660 supers at like $300 as part of their summer sale. They've been sold out when I tried, but if you stay up to snag one when they drop, maybe?

Thanks friend, I meant like a 3080 or 3080ti :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sup thread, can I walk into a store and get a 1 year old graphics card below 200% msrp yet?

yes

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Thanks friend, I meant like a 3080 or 3080ti :negative:

i mean they're both comical overkill but the prevailing wisdom seems to be that if you're going to bother with a 3080ti the 3090 is only 300 bucks more at RRP with literally double the VRAM. and 3090s well, were at least a little more achievable and available, although it sounds like the step up queue trick is swamped rn.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

CoolCab posted:

i mean they're both comical overkill but the prevailing wisdom seems to be that if you're going to bother with a 3080ti the 3090 is only 300 bucks more at RRP with literally double the VRAM. and 3090s well, were at least a little more achievable and available, although it sounds like the step up queue trick is swamped rn.

Huh I haven’t really looked at the 3090 because I was set on the 3080ti, but that sounds real good, I’m getting into 3d modeling and rendering, so extra vram sounds great :hehe:

Adding the 3090 to my list of cards I can’t get

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Huh I haven’t really looked at the 3090 because I was set on the 3080ti, but that sounds real good, I’m getting into 3d modeling and rendering, so extra vram sounds great :hehe:

Adding the 3090 to my list of cards I can’t get

where you from

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
can confirm that 3090 step-up is hosed, i signed up a 210 on may 22 and still haven't heard anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
where did "film grain" as a graphical effect come from? why did devs start implementing it?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

gradenko_2000 posted:

where did "film grain" as a graphical effect come from? why did devs start implementing it?

Mass Effect 1

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

same reason they did it for digital video

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

gradenko_2000 posted:

Silent Hill 2

https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Noise_Effect

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

The rotor was pulled out of the truck with little damage, because it was an old solid piece of equipment built like a tank. Other parts had to be cut into pieces to dig out of the oak tree, which was planted during the first couple of years after young Rebel soldiers came home (130+years old). The wall was punched right at the “seam” of four cinderblocks next to a window, so lab work got really cramped for a while. Also insurance paid for a later-generation ultracentrifuge that up to 5 years ago was still in use in an undergrad lab.
Rotor hosed up the hamburgers and the hotdogs turned to ash because they weren’t a high priority and nobody thought to turn off the propane tank :smugdon:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Best Buy seems to be popping off here and there. Non fe only

Lot of false alarms tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

gradenko_2000 posted:

It came from film.

Devs started implementing it because optical flaws like that make the scene look less computer-generated. See also lens flare, depth of field, motion blur, etc

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
And everybody's favourite, chromatic aberration

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
I like film grain and motion blur + depth of field, it's me, I'm the sucker all this stuff is for. Grain really works in some games, I was blown away when I noticed it in Indigo Prophecy (full disclaimer this was when I was a dumb 14-15 year old). It really adds to the atmosphere in Control too

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Post processing effects are cool, especially to just push things over into a certain mood. Left4Dead benefited from film grain back in the day. Sometimes they can get obnoxious, though, and they can certainly be used poorly. Motion blur is cool for couch gaming when I'm sitting far away but it bugs me on PC when I'm much closer. Motion blur makes a HUGE difference in CG, though, where it's a big part of making things look good and integrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

change my name posted:

I like film grain and motion blur + depth of field, it's me, I'm the sucker all this stuff is for. Grain really works in some games, I was blown away when I noticed it in Indigo Prophecy (full disclaimer this was when I was a dumb 14-15 year old). It really adds to the atmosphere in Control too

I think it’s hilariously ironic that some digital media could be pixel-perfect and clear but older people (of which I am one) won’t be able to subconsciously “accept” it unless we go back and add stuff to give it a wash in analog film defects from 1982. It literally makes frames look slightly worse, at the expense of efficiency and processing extra code, or we won’t believe it’s real. Our heads know it’s a game/movie/photo, but subconsciously tune out the perfection present in 2021 for poo poo like “grainy bits” or “lens flare.”
That poo poo was fine in 1977 Star Wars, because that movie was SotA at the time. It should not show up in Biomutant or Crysis because a computer may actually have to work a bit harder to make it appear “realistic” to our senses. Even with VR, people feel some uncanny valley poo poo because the graphics are so “fake” looking in a mathematical perfect render. And our natural vision doesn’t have that poo poo either.