Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Some of the titan weapons have spaces for magnets, so you might want to reconsider your stance - it will give you more options when playing. I understand the Warhound can be a little bit of a pain in the rear end, however.

Paint the armor panels separately, as you have heard stated.

Unless they've updated the instructions, you're told to assemble one of the titans legs backwards. Someone else can expand on this, but I wanted to throw it out there before you jumped right in.

Haha thank you I will double check the legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Reaver's lower legs have an eagle sculpted on to them. Some people assume that faces front. It does not. An armour plate sits on the front, and the eagle is visible from the rear.

With the Warlords you have way less leeway at the ankles than you think. If you tilt the lower leg too far in any direction relative to the foot the armour plates won't go on properly, so make sure to dry fit the armour when positioning the legs. Also make sure that the big cog at the top of the lower leg is facing forward.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 20, 2021

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The Reaver's lower legs have an eagle sculpted on to them. Some people assume that faces front. It does not. An armour plate sits on the front, and the eagle is visible from the rear.

With the Warlords you have way less leeway at the ankles than you think. If you tilt the lower leg too far in any direction relative to the foot the armour plates won't go on properly, so make sure to dry fit the armour when positioning the legs. Also make sure that the big cog at the top of the lower leg is facing forward.

I'd also add that you can't have the lower legs lean in too much towards the midline or the armour panels won't fit. I'd assemble the warlord/reaver legs with the little pistons that join the foot to the lower leg but keep all the panels (shin/knee/thigh) separate.

Loadout-wise it depends on if you're going to paint the starter set all as one force. Ideally magnetise (That's what I did. You just need to carve up the arms a bit although less if you don't want to use close combat weapons - you can glue the arms in and just stick a magnet on the bottom) but fixed options for the reavers would be melta/gatling/turbolaser destructor and volcano/laser blaster/missile launcher.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If anyone happens to have the old Hell Strider, Hell Knight and Hell Scourge minis for Epic40k, would they mind taking photos of the front, side, rear and top-down views for me? I want to make sure I have proportions right when I try to convert Imperial Knights into them and not miss anything major on the details.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Idea I had for a minigeddon Eldar list:

Biel-Tan list (modified for minigeddon)

-150pts - Guardians, 1 farseer and 7 guardians
-350pts - 1 Revenant Titan
-150pts - Warwalkers, 4 war walkers
-50pts Webway Portal

5 activations, a titan, and the ability to spit guardians out the portal, big gambles for a potential payoff. The Titan has to essentially hold its own early in the game, avoiding getting swarmed all while drawing in your opponent for the guardian assualts. The war walkers would likely last a turn, but could screen the revenant.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I haven't played minigeddon, but my e:a army is biel-tan, so I have some comments that might be helpful.

I'd be a bit concerned by the lack of ranged shooting. Guardians are assault-fodder, basically, and with no unit upgrades like heavy weapons/support platforms, they're likely to get shot to pieces without being able to respond. The 15cm speed is less of an issue on a smaller play table, so that's fine. Note that you can replace up to three Guardian stands with heavy weapons platforms for free (by NetEA rules, which I assume you're using) so maybe do that for one or two stands per guardian warhost?

The war walkers are IMO a good unit, with the Scout attribute they can spread out a lot which is nice for claiming objectives while still being partly in cover and other such shenanigans. Their shooting is all at 5+, though, so just 4 of them won't place a ton of BMs on enemy units. The high mobility and scout attribute might be less of a factor on a small table, though. I assume minigeddon rules let you reduce this unit size to 4, normally it's 6 walkers for 200pts.

Revenant titans are IMO fantastic and I can definitely see why you wanted to get one into your list. Pulse weapons are great. This titan has no business getting into melee with another titan, but it has sufficient range and mobility to avoid assaults you don't want it to get into. This is your only accurate shooting in your list, though, with the 2x MW3+ pulse lasers (which roll 2 dice each).

Overall I think this might be an OK list to experiment with but you've sacrificed shooting and durability to get both a revenant and five activations. If you do bring it to a table, let us know how it works out!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

100% agree with you, I should be able to bring it to the table this coming weekend. I will report back. I really wrestled with the idea of adding heavy weapons, and still might for one, but am leaning towards the guardians just head-long charging into firefights out of the portal. I toyed with the idea of dropping a unit of guardians to add wraithguard to one of the units. However I feel like the extra activation over most minigeddon armies would be well worth it for lining up some great assualts at the end of the round.

A quick note, Biel-Tan in latest NetEA has war walkers as 4 units for 150 pts, with the option to upgrade to 6 at 200 pts. I prefer them at 6, as at 4 they feel like expensive sentinals at times, but this list could only fit 4. I also think they are a good unit, but that doesn't seem to be the case for most. They tend to get underestimated, and I've had them set up some killer crossfires. I saved 3 hits about 2 weeks back in a game, that was insanely lucky though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Minigeddon sounds like a good time. I wonder if a similarly constrained ruleset exists for Warmaster... I'd like to start playing that again but I need to keep the scope of my hobby ambitions under control.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Squibsy posted:

Minigeddon sounds like a good time. I wonder if a similarly constrained ruleset exists for Warmaster... I'd like to start playing that again but I need to keep the scope of my hobby ambitions under control.

What's wrong with Warmaster? It's already scaled down and a pretty easy system IMO

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

What's wrong with Warmaster? It's already scaled down and a pretty easy system IMO

Oh totally, I love Warmaster. I am wondering if there's any kind of community convention for playing small scale battles with the system, which is what MiniGeddon seems to be

The game doesn't seem to accommodate lists of less than 1,000 points, due to minimum unit counts and the like

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Squibsy posted:

Oh totally, I love Warmaster. I am wondering if there's any kind of community convention for playing small scale battles with the system, which is what MiniGeddon seems to be

The game doesn't seem to accommodate lists of less than 1,000 points, due to minimum unit counts and the like

Gotcha. I'm not super familiar with Minigeddon, but isn't it more reducing 40K Armageddon down to the more manageable model-wise Epic scale?

And if you're looking for under 1K Warmaster, couldn't you do something like Path to Glory / Warbands or some other other WFB variant, and just scale down measurements? Personally, I don't really see the value, being as you're essentially playing a skirmish game at that point, and >1K is very manageable at that scale, but that's just me. Or, you could just halve or drop the unit minimums in WM but keep the existing 50% break point, which will still encourage players to max out on their rank and file and not put so much into the more expensive, harder units.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Squibsy posted:

You might want to try HOT (Hordes of Things) or Osprey Books' "Dragon Rampant" then.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Gotcha. I'm not super familiar with Minigeddon, but isn't it more reducing 40K Armageddon down to the more manageable model-wise Epic scale?

Minigeddon restricts you to 1/3 the usual tournement points value (1kpts) and plays on a 3x4 tables. The rules are all the same, except for creating your army list, where rules prevent you from taking large units that could unbalance the game, such as titans, airplanes, and spacecraft. The result is a game that is a bit easier to learn, as the complicated units such as war engines tend to get left out, all while playing very fast.

Having only a cursory understanding of Warmaster, I feel like one could very easily adapt similiar guidelines for a parred down 1000pts game. You would have your core units plus maybe two choices at 1000pts? Would a 3x4 board work at that points level. I know commanders are a big part of the game, would you have enough of them in "minimaster" at 1000 pts to preserve the spirit of a larger game?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, there are a couple of reasons for having multiple characters:
1) Range - Depending on the character type, they can only give a command to a unit within a distinct bubble - Wizards 20cm, Hero - 60cm, and General - entire table. Reducing the table size would reduce the need for so many characters, reducing points
2) Redundancy - If a character fails to give an order, you move to another character and continue giving orders. You often start by shortest command range (Wizard > Hero > General) but with table size being reduced in 1), and the number of units reduced simply by points, again, the need for characters is reduced
3) Unit buffs and magic - again, fewer, smaller units will lessen the need for expensive characters with magic items and/or buffing a unit if you decide to do so (risky at the best of times anyway)

For a sub 1K game, I would say remove the general option altogether. For most armies, you have a hard cap on other heroes/wizards, so I think that would be acceptable - you need to be able to move units.

Other than that, the lists are pretty self-regulating - a unit of Chaos Knights is 200 points, so there is a big chunk of your army. Do you really want that much of your Break Point tied up in one unit? That would be the decision you'd have to make.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I haven't seen Revolutions, but Warmaster was set up to build armies in 1000 point intervals. (Every thousand points has a minimum of X units and maximum Y other units.)

You should be able to do a thousand points without any extra work, maybe just a smaller table.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I've seen variants for <1000 points. Ignore break points and allow the option to use a hero as the general instead of the usual general. Use the same unit restrictions as if you were playing 1k.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, there are a couple of reasons for having multiple characters:
1) Range - Depending on the character type, they can only give a command to a unit within a distinct bubble - Wizards 20cm, Hero - 60cm, and General - entire table. Reducing the table size would reduce the need for so many characters, reducing points
2) Redundancy - If a character fails to give an order, you move to another character and continue giving orders. You often start by shortest command range (Wizard > Hero > General) but with table size being reduced in 1), and the number of units reduced simply by points, again, the need for characters is reduced
3) Unit buffs and magic - again, fewer, smaller units will lessen the need for expensive characters with magic items and/or buffing a unit if you decide to do so (risky at the best of times anyway)

For a sub 1K game, I would say remove the general option altogether. For most armies, you have a hard cap on other heroes/wizards, so I think that would be acceptable - you need to be able to move units.

Other than that, the lists are pretty self-regulating - a unit of Chaos Knights is 200 points, so there is a big chunk of your army. Do you really want that much of your Break Point tied up in one unit? That would be the decision you'd have to make.

These are good thoughts. I may tinker with halving unit requirements and allowances, remove Generals, play on a 3x4' table, and set points caps at 500-750 or so.

The reason why I want to explore this is that I'm hoping to indoctrinate my gaming group into playing Warmaster, but to do this I will need to provide all of the armies and terrain. Playing shorter games will probably also be helpful.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I think certain armies really need their general because they're unique tho. Like the Skaven Grey Seer, who is one of the rare generals that's also a wizard. But other armies would want to dump their general in small games because you have to spend too many points for them.

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 29, 2021

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Also a good point!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Also certain armies may not have heroes that are appropriate to be generals. Tomb Kings don't have a hero equivalent to their Tomb King general for example, but you could easily create a Tomb Prince

AND ditching break points might screw up certain armies like Bretonnia. You might have to have a special rule that says they are defeated if there are no Knights left on the table or something.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Squibsy posted:

These are good thoughts. I may tinker with halving unit requirements and allowances, remove Generals, play on a 3x4' table, and set points caps at 500-750 or so.

The reason why I want to explore this is that I'm hoping to indoctrinate my gaming group into playing Warmaster, but to do this I will need to provide all of the armies and terrain. Playing shorter games will probably also be helpful.

If teaching is the intention, I would say 1K points is probably what you want to do, and leave the general. I only say this because you want to teach people how to play the game. 1K will significantly shorten play time, and if you try to have line infantry, missile troops, and cav, you're going to hit your point limit pretty quickly. Though, TBH, WM really works at 2K and above - 1K doesn't really allow for a lot of options or tactics that a larger army can take advantage of.

If you're concerned about cost: https://ordinarygaming.blogspot.com/p/warmaster-counters.html. It's not optimal, but it will work for your purposes.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Here’s the Underworlds warbands I’ve gotten done over the past couple months:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I see what you've done and I love it.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
My dream for a long time has been for Kill Team to follow the Underworlds -> Age of Sigmar model of "bespoke, original models that have their own warscroll that can be used in the main game."

I am hoping this is the case! Because spending $150 on multiple boxes to build a decent Kill Team is the fundamental error that both OG Kill Team and Newcromunda have made.

Also on the symbol movement, I think it's a good idea. Symbols (at least to me as a new player) would be easier to remember than a million different movement/firing range profiles.

These new movement gauges ... I assume they're just going to be small rulers with the symbols clearly displayed on them. They aren't going to be like giant blast templates are they ... because if they are :negative:

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Not feeling optimistic about snagging the new kill team on pre order

moths posted:

I also love it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It could go either way. The Krieg set doesn't look like it as it seems it can be built to different configurations - I think they said on stream that it had enough lasguns for most, if not all, of the ten figures, along with its various special weapons choices - but the Kommando set looks like it has more of a set build.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I assume that future kill teams will have 40k rules too as apparently the upcoming Kommandos have em in the new Ork codex

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DrDraxium posted:

My dream for a long time has been for Kill Team to follow the Underworlds -> Age of Sigmar model of "bespoke, original models that have their own warscroll that can be used in the main game."

There was a literal genius in this thread that suggested you could, in fact, do a Blackstone Fortress with UW and so some fun 40k ones, but set it in Trazyn's museum or whatever. I think that would be pretty sick

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There was a literal genius in this thread that suggested you could, in fact, do a Blackstone Fortress with UW and so some fun 40k ones, but set it in Trazyn's museum or whatever. I think that would be pretty sick

Warhammer Quest Collector's Edition sounds rad.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That does sound immensely good!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
You can literally just say the fantasy creatures are just weird poo poo Trazyn's found on planets, and for the Sigmar guys, say they're from the realm of chaos. Just one season with 40k stuff. Marines/Chaos Marines starter - they literally already have push-fit stuff, then five warbands - Genestealers, Orks, Eldar, Tau and something else, idk and they'd probably sell like gangbusters.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

I assume that future kill teams will have 40k rules too as apparently the upcoming Kommandos have em in the new Ork codex

Kommandos already had rules for over a decade, this is just a new kit for them with a few more options

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Kommandos already had rules for over a decade, this is just a new kit for them with a few more options

Kommandos have been a thing for 20 years

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

:orks: "If them sneaky gitz been around for so long, howz it dat I never seen them before?"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

chin up everything sucks posted:

In my defense 20 years is indeed over a decade

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

I meant specifically for the customization options in the upcoming new kill team kit

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Randalor posted:

:orks: "If them sneaky gitz been around for so long, howz it dat I never seen them before?"

They were purple.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

moths posted:

I don’t, and I feel left out :saddowns:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t, and I feel left out :saddowns:

The color scheme is skeletor.
Which funny enough wasn’t my intent but just ended up that way. It was my wife’s first comment upon seeing them so not sure how I missed it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I spent a solid ten minutes trying to figure out if it was an Abbey Road gag based on the fact that one of them was floating more prominently than the others and another had a drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

These “Loss” parodies are getting out of hand