Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gonna be really fun wardriving construction sites with a bluetooth radio.

first butt plugs, now power drills. bluetooth is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The main aim if this is to shut off the secondhand market. 'Shoplifting' is merely an excuse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

And btw. They are doing this to "save" $789,000 per 1 BILLION dollars of revenue.

I was at a blue store recently buying a fan.

The attendant had to deactivate an antitheft device packaged with this fan.

It immediately occurred to me that if people are shoplifting this particular item, they must be desperate. It’s heavy, it’s bulky, and it’s not particularly valuable.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Home Depot want to install blutooth "activation" in all the devices they sell that requires the device to be activated at the register, or it won't work

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...ing-11627410440

these motherfuckers posted:

“Another is need is for law enforcement and prosecutors to think of this as more than property crime. We need more accountability and verification on marketplaces.”

How about we address a real problem like wage theft first?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Solkanar512 posted:

How about we address a real problem like wage theft first?

that doesn't sound like the brutal efficiency of the free market to me

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

quote:

Full Rear-Wheel Steering on Mercedes EQS Will Be $575 Annual Subscription in Germany: Report

All German-market EQS models can reportedly turn their rear wheels 10 degrees; however, without the software upgrade, they'll only turn 4.5 degrees.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/41678/full-rear-wheel-steering-on-mercedes-eqs-will-be-575-annual-subscription-in-germany-report

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
awesome, gonna be buying future cars based on which ones i can get rootkits for so i can :filez: the premium steering package or whatever. this may actually be better than having to pay for physical items on trim levels, if previous automotive industry embedded security practices are any indication.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xarph posted:

Milwaukee and Ryobi are both labels of TTI, a Hong Kong manufacturer that somehow wins the home depot innovation prize every single year.

They are absolutely doing this as a prerequisite for subscription services.

Non-bluetooth replacement boards will be available on aliexpress before the first of these tools even make it into port.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:stonklol:
https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1420367500462657543?s=20

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I would say that's a class action lawsuit in the making, but then again, Tesla buyers would refuse to identify as a class or do anything to hurt daddy Elong.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

CommieGIR posted:

Home Depot want to install blutooth "activation" in all the devices they sell that requires the device to be activated at the register, or it won't work

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...ing-11627410440

You know organized retail crime is a real thing that exists and matters a lot when an account called "stoporganizedretailcrime" created the bulk of the wikipedia article on the subject.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

You know organized retail crime is a real thing that exists and matters a lot when an account called "stoporganizedretailcrime" created the bulk of the wikipedia article on the subject.

Nope, not a sock puppet, no sir.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

More like anyone that believes that Twitter thread is a total rube.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fame Douglas posted:

More like anyone that believes that Twitter thread is a total rube.

I saw it on the Internet, therefore it is true.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Baronash posted:

Good luck getting a brand like Milwaukee or Husqvarna to hop on board with this. I cannot think of a faster way to torch your reputation with the people who buy your tools than by introducing the possibility of it failing on a job site.

Isn't Milfucky Milwaukee a brand mostly targeted at hobbyists and maybe extremely noob professionals starting out nowadays, with anyone who has a clue equipping their workers with Makita tools at a minimum? Milfucky poo poo certainly isn't built to survive being manhandled across a construction site all the time.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

suck my woke dick posted:

Isn't Milfucky Milwaukee a brand mostly targeted at hobbyists and maybe extremely noob professionals starting out nowadays, with anyone who has a clue equipping their workers with Makita tools at a minimum? Milfucky poo poo certainly isn't built to survive being manhandled across a construction site all the time.

They're effectively a home depot house brand like Ryobi.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ave owns :canada:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh wonder if DnD regulars opinions on tool brands differ from the OSHA thread in GBS.

what are the tiers of tool brands?

note the only thing I know you shouldnt really depend on LCD poo poo; habor freight or random letter comapnys on amazon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The real commercial-grade stuff you won't normally find in a hardware store because it costs five times as much and only actual tradies are going to buy it. And they buy from outlets that target trade customers.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I just buy whatever Wirecutter tells me to. $300 screwdriver? Ok sure sounds good.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-tools-and-toolbox/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kaal posted:

I just buy whatever Wirecutter tells me to.

The only time I've regretted this was selling my 90's era microwave for the Toshiba they recommend.

But I've been very happy with my portable AC, toaster oven, food processor, and blender.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Lone Badger posted:

The real commercial-grade stuff you won't normally find in a hardware store because it costs five times as much and only actual tradies are going to buy it. And they buy from outlets that target trade customers.

Yeah tools are one of those things where you make a pretty abrupt transition from "stores" to "vendors" once it becomes something that you use every day to make money. You're spending overhead budget on an asset now, and if you need a new one that day, they're bringing it to you wherever you are. It's a warehouse with some office space in an industrial park. Totally different price thing.

As a novice piano guy, I've come to learn in the last couple of years that musical instruments are like that too. You can buy a Yamaha P-125 digital piano for your kid with your Target card, but if you're buying a Clavinova or CFX Grand you're probably buying it on behalf of some institution you work for.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

when I discovered mechanics pay 8 grand for a wrench, I truly realized the difference between professional and consumer gear

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fascinating, slightly reminds me about the said life hack thing from a previous "smart TVs chat" where the solution was "buy a commercial display."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PhazonLink posted:

huh wonder if DnD regulars opinions on tool brands differ from the OSHA thread in GBS.

note the only thing I know you shouldnt really depend on LCD poo poo; habor freight or random letter comapnys on amazon.

I like makitas stuff, but I am mostly a DIY forums guy. I would buy hilti if I could afford it. Never seen milwaukee as anything special, but they are pimped a lot and we do have a lot of impact drivers and drill at my work where they are used for woodworking. 12V models though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I started getting chuddy vibes from him, and he really went overboard with that lingo stuff so I stopped watching him, his videos decreased in quality too I thought.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I started getting chuddy vibes from him, and he really went overboard with that lingo stuff so I stopped watching him, his videos decreased in quality too I thought.

He's actually very pro worker. His videos on the engineering and management failures behind recent crane collapses and aircraft crashes have been very educative.

That being said, he's a Boomer dad in Canada and he sounds like everyone I've talked to who's fifty and older in a field that works for a living. Casual misogyny is rather common.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Facetious posted:

he's a Boomer dad in Canada

No way he’s that old.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'm pretty sure if ave was actually misogynist in any way more than the performative shop talk his wife would eat his liver

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

No way he’s that old.

I'm reasonably certain he's in his fifties at the youngest. Whether that qualifies as Boomer or "Gen-X" isn't terribly important to me. *shrugs*

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oneiros posted:

i'm pretty sure if ave was actually misogynist in any way more than the performative shop talk his wife would eat his liver

Hey uh women are people who exist and have ears and brains and are affected by that talk, and even more affected by other men who hear it and take it to heart. Casual misogyny is just as corrosive as casual racism or casual homophobia.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

garbo tier: lovely home improvement store brand/unintelligible letter combination aliexpress special (note: so cheap they sometimes they forget to include the intentionally lovely component that makes it fail 3 days after the warranty expires, then it's ok for consumers)

bad but not totally terrible tier: black&decker, some established aliexpress brands (get this or meh tier stuff if you're going to knock together a piece of furniture or make a hole in drywall like twice a year)

meh tier: cryobi, milfucky etc (works out of the box but not reliable enough for professional use, unless it's very occasional jobs or restricted to a shop floor where you can just toss the thing and grab a new one if when it breaks)

decent tier: dewalt, makita (works reliably, makita especially is very good for what it costs and doesn't have too much planned obsolescence built in, acceptable as standard issue tools on the job, also not super loving expensive and what consumers should get for serious home improvement/diy use).

god tier: hilti

i don't know wtf tier: crapsman (it's from loving sears, but a lot of it is actually built to very good spec and suitable for pro use for historical reasons from before the sears self destruction, but apparently they've finally started licensing out the name and slapping the craftsman logo on random garbage)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Huego posted:

Hey uh women are people who exist and have ears and brains and are affected by that talk, and even more affected by other men who hear it and take it to heart. Casual misogyny is just as corrosive as casual racism or casual homophobia.

And the whole thing where women can be misogynistic themselves, consciously or not, or the massive social pressures about marriage hammered into women from older generations. Having a wife says absolutely nothing about how misogynistic someone is.

Example: every married politician who openly wants to erode women's rights while their wife sits silently or nods along.

I don't know who the guy is, just saying that having a wife is not a defense.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This is your reminder that until the 90s, women voted more consistantly for conservative and right wing politicians in the anglosphere than men did. The current flip, especially among young women, is a very recent thing.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nothingtoseehere posted:

This is your reminder that until the 90s, women voted more consistantly for conservative and right wing politicians in the anglosphere than men did. The current flip, especially among young women, is a very recent thing.

Might have something to do with the inversion of the higher education gender gap?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Looks like the founder of Nikola is going down.

Choice quote: Federal criminal fraud charges against Trevor Milton accuse the Nikola founder of lying about “nearly all aspects of the business.”

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Motronic posted:

Non-bluetooth replacement boards will be available on aliexpress before the first of these tools even make it into port.

I'm putting my money on there being some physical hack that doesn't even require a replacement board, and nerdy college kids paying for beer and weed by doing it for small timer contractors and DIY randos.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Sagacity posted:

Looks like the founder of Nikola is going down.

Choice quote: Federal criminal fraud charges against Trevor Milton accuse the Nikola founder of lying about “nearly all aspects of the business.”

somebody tried the Tesla business model, rip

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Huego posted:

oh hey there TB it's been a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

I think any company designing a product to go into a bedroom area should consult a sleep doctor just so they don't miss very basic poo poo that will aggravate someone trying to rest.

I've gone through like three sheets of little opaque LED block stickers just endlessly covering lights up over time.

I have discovered that new microwaves generally come with a sleep mode built in that turns off the display after fifteen minutes or so of inactivity, so that's nicee.

PhazonLink posted:

fascinating, slightly reminds me about the said life hack thing from a previous "smart TVs chat" where the solution was "buy a commercial display."

There's also a similar difference in use, in that the commercial-grade stuff is generally made to be used literally 24/7. Like, home TV design tolerances assume you're going to be shutting it off for at least a little while once a day or so, while commercial displays are designed to be left on for a year straight without something breaking.