Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

My old wide-brimmed had came with a detachable rain cover, like for a backpack. Worked pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Anyone had much luck with Patagonia Capilene stuff in really hot climates like Texas? I know nothing is going to make moving around outside in the summer here not suck, but I'm always on the lookout for stuff that will at least make it suck less. Most of the stuff I've found that advertises itself as heat gear is only marginal at even that.

Capilene is my go-to in hot and cold weather, and in between (I’m wearing it right now). I wouldn’t say it keeps me cooler, but it dries quickly, which gives a nice wicking effect in hot weather. It’s not some miracle fabric, but it’s the best combination I’ve found for comfortable, thin, lightweight, quick-drying, durable shirts with good sun protection. I also have a hooded version, which is great for summer sun or bright snow. I go the Bedouin route of covering up in hot weather unless I’m running, so my capilene is all long sleeve.

If durability is not your primary concern, you might try a very thin merino wool shirt in hot weather. I like it as much as the capilene, but wouldn’t, say, climb or scramble in it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just wish they'd put the capilene "trail" shirts on sale once in a while. They have a really nice cottony feel to them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don't they get super stinky?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They have some tech fiber that makes them basically odorless. They're not actually cotton.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Coleman Sundome 6 kept us dry through the thunderstorm last night. And warm. A little too warm for me.

However, looking for recommendations on a family size tent (6 person or more) with great ventilation and a vestibule.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

The Coleman Sundome 6 kept us dry through the thunderstorm last night. And warm. A little too warm for me.

However, looking for recommendations on a family size tent (6 person or more) with great ventilation and a vestibule.

How much cash are you willing to drop?

Edit: and also how heavy and annoying to assemble are you willing to go? There's a pile of 6+ person tents with vestibules, but they're typically quite a production to put up and take down.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 19, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

liz posted:

How do you guys deal with ticks on your trips?

Ticks need ~24 hours to fully latch and start regurgitating back into your bloodstream. Check yourself carefully when you get into camp, they especially love knee pits and waistbands. Ticks also don’t jump, so avoid trekking through tall brush and you should be good. Sometimes you can see the bastards hanging onto plants overhanging the trail

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of someone selling ditty bags with a big variety of colors?

If you’re just looks for ripstop packing cubes, look for something like these Eagle Creek compression bags. I have a bunch and love them for when I travel because I can efficiently park and organize shirts, shorts, etc into my carry-on backpack.

Six Moons also has a bunch of packing pods, including pack fitted Cuben Fiber waterproof ones, though the cuben ones are monocolor

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Anybody have recommendations for a light weight, breathable, long sleeve UPF / sun protection shirt?

This Academy Magellan shirt is my favorite shirt for backpacking and outdoors stuff. Downside is that it’s not wool, so while it dries out better it also stinks faster. I think it used to be rated 50 SPF, but looks like it’s rated 20 UPF now. Also, while I like the backflap for ventilation, it’s not very stylish like the other recommendations. But it performed wonderfully on a weeklong backpacking trip in the desert, though the salts I had sweated out had petrified the shirt into a body cast when I took it off back in town .

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 19, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

How much cash are you willing to drop?

Edit: and also how heavy and annoying to assemble are you willing to go? There's a pile of 6+ person tents with vestibules, but they're typically quite a production to put up and take down.

Should I just buy the travel trailer then?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FogHelmut posted:

Or go with the REI Kingdome in a 6 or 8 person configuration.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

If you already had long term plans for it, and you have a tow vehicle, heck yeah. :v: I think if I ever got to the point where I needed/wanted that kind of space on the regular, I'd prob upgrade to a teardrop and a screened shelter to put up next to it.

highme posted:

This is prob the best tent answer. Ain't cheap, though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the vehicle and the space for a small/medium trailer, but my wife (former girlscout) thinks it's cheating. But (extremely my opinion) using a tent at a developed site is fooling yourself. If you can hear the people in the next tent snoring, or other people's generators, you might as well be able to shut your door and turn on the AC.

And I'd rather use my own toilet than those vault toilets.

On the fence with the REI Kingdom, some of the reviews make it seem a bit flimsy, and some claim surprisingly that REI won't stand behind it. I do love my REI Passage 2 tent though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest issue I have with trailers is it instantly puts you in a situation where you need a vehicle that can tow it, your fuel economy turns to garbage, and you need to find a way to store it.

I totally get the desire to have one, I get the urge too, but man it really is a money drain.

A hatchback or SUV with a mattress in it is where my head is at these days, storage is a problem (anything on the roof is another mileage murderer) but the adaptability is hard to beat.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

highme posted:

I'm currently on my first trip with an REI Grand Hut 6, it's enormous and seems pretty nice. I'm not clear on what the Kingdome offers above it for twice the price, but I'll also know better after tomorrow's thunderstorm.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Casu Marzu posted:

This is prob the best tent answer. Ain't cheap, though.

I had an 8 that had been used once lined up on CL for $200 a couple of weeks back. I have no need for that much space so I passed. I paid the same price for my Kingdom 4 used and it’s by far the best car camping tent I’ve used.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a Wawona 6 and it's been great. Not the best ventilation though, so maybe not what you want. I can set it up by myself though, and it's amazing in inclement weather.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kingdomes show up used all the time at REI garage sales if that’s an option for you.

I’ve never had an issue with mine when properly staked and guyed out. It’s been an incredible car camping tent.

Remember that some people need instructions on shampoo when you read online reviews and adjust accordingly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My main issue with the kingdom is it's not 100% hooks. At least the poles are smooth so nothing snags, but I still dread stuffing tent poles through tubes because all my camping trips as a youth was tainted by trying to feed those crappy fibreglass rods with aluminum sockets though a too-small tube.

That's a pretty nitpicky complaint though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just ordered the Eureka Kohana 4. There is surprisingly little information about this tent out there, but on paper it checks all of my boxes. We’ll see what it’s like when it comes in I guess.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

xzzy posted:

My main issue with the kingdom is it's not 100% hooks. At least the poles are smooth so nothing snags, but I still dread stuffing tent poles through tubes because all my camping trips as a youth was tainted by trying to feed those crappy fibreglass rods with aluminum sockets though a too-small tube.

Tubes are the worst. They were hard enough for me to put together, and I always had to walk new people through it because they understandably thought they were going to break the tent stuffing the poles through them. I'm so happy with the design of my MSR tent. All of the poles are combined and where they need to be once you put them together.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xzzy posted:

Agreed though, the tubes are far worse than the hooks. Probably a lot of us had a youth full of those crappy tents and the modern stuff is just so much better

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea hooks are awesome. Pitching a tent is a trivial task now and snapping the hooks onto the poles is very satisfying. The only slightly annoying step now is getting the rain shield set up correctly - but that still takes only a 2 minutes tops.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just drove cross country with my wife and dog with the REI basecamp 4 and the exped mega mats. Highly highly recommend both.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Back on Hoka shoe chat, my wife and I took an impromptu four mile walk on Sunday. I got a blister on the ball of my foot. Figured it was because I wasn't wearing the right socks for it.

Nope, it turns out I managed to blast straight through my insole somehow.

I'm honestly impressed. I've never seen that before.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey all, I’m a decently experienced camper and backpacker but I’m looking to acquire a few more tools to make life easier when setting up camp.

Specifically:

A. Fire starting — I’ve never used a ferro rod; do I need one?

B. Hatchet—I don’t have one; what’s a good one that I can take backpacking but still has some heft to it?

C. Saw—do I want a folding saw to cut up firewood or is a hatchet sufficient?

Also, where would you recommend I look to get reasonably priced merino T shirts?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Apollodorus posted:

Hey all, I’m a decently experienced camper and backpacker but I’m looking to acquire a few more tools to make life easier when setting up camp.

Specifically:

B. Hatchet—I don’t have one; what’s a good one that I can take backpacking but still has some heft to it?

Also, where would you recommend I look to get reasonably priced merino T shirts?

A. You don’t need one, but they’re fun if you’ve got a good tinder to catch a spark. Standard bic lighter is the gold standard of utility and reliability. For firestarters, I really like disposable cotton makeup pads soaked in melted candlewax, they weigh nothing, pack flat, burn for a stupid long time, and cost almost nothing. Esbit is my runner up for ease and cost, though it is really stinky.

B. I wouldn’t take it backpacking, I just have one for car camping, but a spetznaz shovel can and will surprisingly split firewood, and works great for managing a fire, eg banking it or shoveling coals onto dutch ovens. Hatchet wise, I’m partial to Estwing hatchets. Made in the US, solid single forged piece, and nice heft to capably split firewood or make tinder shavings. I found one of these things rusted and beat to hell with a rotted leather strap out in the woods, used it for the trip, and liked it so much I carried it home to restore to a mirror polish. Also have an old craftsman camp hatchet I want to restore and polish when I get to it.

C. Saw over axe any day. You’re not going to lumberjack any trees, green wood sucks to burn, and axes are heavy. The best poo poo is deadfall with branches poking up in the air, or fatwood where the sap has collected on pines. Sven Saws are the time honored and very effective classic here, though a 5$ steel tube bow saw from menards will work great in a much less elegant harder to carry package. The chainsaw straps suck to do by hand, bowsaw for deadfall is always going to get you a fantastic fire with the least work. Or you could bring a battery powered electric sawzall or chainsaw depending on how you feel.

Academy sports is probably your best bet for discount hiking clothing, though I don’t see merino listed. Otherwise goodwill or thrift stores would be my next recommendation, followed by REI

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Silky Gomboy is also a nice folding saw for camp/backpacking, imo, although it’s design only allows you to really grip one side of the saw.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have a QVC equivalent of a Coghlan’s saw and it is fantastic

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Apollodorus posted:

Specifically:

A: don't really need one as a lighter is infinitely more useful but if you want one to gently caress around grab one. Learning to start a fire without a lighter is a handy skill. I prefer the magnesium block vs the rod. You have more to shave off into your tinder bundle and I feel like they spark better. There's also a technique to striking which requires a little practice.

B: I've rarely if ever needed a hatchet while backpacking. I keep mine in my car for off-road driving and car camping. If I were going to bring one, I would look at a small wood handled Husqvarna hatchet. You can get their 26" forest axe which is only about 2lbs and a really great axe (it's very similar to a granfors bruks but less expensive). It's big enough to fell a tree if needed but small enough to use like a hatchet. The other option: harbor freight. They have a great hatchet for cheap. Wranglerstar gave glowing reviews. Just redo the handle so it's not sticky.

Pocket saws are really useful. Get a silky or fiskars. I keep one in my truck tool bag and carry one when I ride my dirt bike. Lighter than a hatchet and much faster getting through logs.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

I like merino with a little nylon in it for durability. My favorites are the triple aught design traverse tech tee - they’re thin enough for the summer and mine get a lot of wear, and have held up great. IME the very cheapest merino gear tends to fall apart quickly so $40-$50 is the least i expect to pay, which is around what TAD costs on sale

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m addicted to icebreakers merino tshirts, they are not in the budget category however

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

hypnophant posted:

triple aught design traverse tech tee

Never heard of these before, but they look nice. I usually buy smart wool 150’s, but I’m definitely gonna pick one of those up in the next season or two.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hatchets weigh a lot and are never necessary for backpacking, but I guess people enjoy them. I roll my eyes at them sometimes (sorry) because I assume people are going to hack at trees with them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t bring my hatchet backpacking, it stays in the car camping box

Machete is useful sometimes though

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Nice, this is helpful stuff. I've already got good car camping supplies (including a bow saw) but it looks like I should get a medium-size pocket saw. I'll think about axe vs hatchet; I don't currently own an axe anyway.

I've always wanted one of those Estwing hatchets -- actually I think my dad may have one from the 60s, I'll have to check. The Spetznaz shovel is cool, though, and I remember one guy using one on Alone a few years ago.

The Fool posted:

I’m addicted to icebreakers merino tshirts, they are not in the budget category however

Well they are on sale for $43+ right now. Should I pick up a couple, you think?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Seconding (thirding?) a Silky saw. I have this one and I've been very happy with it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I am blessed with a lot of birch bark in my stomping grounds, so I never pack fire starters. I use matches over a bic, but recently found a folding BBQ lighter with a torch (wind proof) flame and that's been like unlocking a cheat code for fires.

If I were backpacking I would be perfectly happy with just a saw, but I canoe and can can bring an axe. We get to remove dangerous trees, leave wood at the site, and have proper fires. It's pretty good.

I have a Fiskars X11 splitting hatchet and a Silky Gomboy. Really recommend both, but based on the size of wood the X11 can handle, I sometimes wish I got a Silky Big Boy instead. Be sure to check the branch diameter the saw is rated for, and buy one the appropriate size instead of buying the saw and trying to reform your foraging habits..

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Listen, we all know that hatchets belong in the aircraft emergency kit for when a 13 year old survives the crash after his pilot has a heart attack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hatchets are fun, toss one in the bag for car camping and give it to the 12 year old kid looking to make themself useful, tell them to cut up too-large branches. They'll go ham on it and stop throwing trash into the fire for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I'm just gonna throw out this suggestion: If you're going to be using a saw, hatchet, or other method to fell limbs, split wood, etc., wear eye protection.
Getting poked in the eye by a branch sucks. I cannot fathom how much getting a splinter to the eye sucks.