Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Just sent a request to LLJK, not gonna lie I'm looking for a power level this season. I'll pay it forward though! Battletag is Tasterino #1516 if anybody's feeling generous

If you're in the lljk chat people will PL you on the regular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

You're not going to make a second build of the same set in the same season with vastly different item affix priorities, so keep the best one and keep a second one to fish upgrades on.

Having 2 builds using the same set with different-enough-to-matter stat priorities has come up at least once every season since s20 for me. Sometimes it's different skill damage rolls, sometimes it's trading off between area/attack speed/cdr/rcr. Most of the time these differences are solo push vs. solo or group speeds.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm at Paragon 580 and found 9 etherals - 2 GFs, 2 Doombringers, 4 Glimmersheds (including one at level 20 or so) and an Arioc's Needle. They really started dropping once T16 rifts and higher level Greater Rifts went under way.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What's the easiest self-level class/build for this season? Are Wizard or DH decent this time around?

I know I can just get a PL, but I prefer to do my first character each season myself.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
DH is very easy to start with. Natalia's is strong and if you roll an impale dagger for your starter legendary you can pair it with that cubed all the way into a god set very quickly. Wizard sucks this season because you really need two extra set items to use the build the set is designed around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wouldn’t recommend Wiz for the starter set this season, Vyr’s takes a long time to get rolling.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can always just go LoD and eschew sets. That's an easy way to get a high power level without being dependent on specific drops. Should get you to T16 before you need to start hunting for any specific items.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bamhand posted:

You can always just go LoD and eschew sets. That's an easy way to get a high power level without being dependent on specific drops. Should get you to T16 before you need to start hunting for any specific items.

I did that with Monk this season and never cashed my welfare set. Still not sure who I'm going to cash it on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m playing Trag Oul’s Necro and having a super blast, I leveled 1-70 in like 2-3 hours of playtime.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm having an issue with my wizard. I'm using the Firebirds mirror image, and my little shadow people rarely attack at all. They just kind of follow me around and don't do anything. More often than not I stop channeling disintegrate to run over and hit things with my own flame blades while glaring angrily at the four shadow people standing around looking dumb. What the hell am I doing wrong.

I also tried using cubed items to Auto proc another fire skill to kill things, to little or no effect. Meteor worked, but Auto casting fireballs doesn't and waiting 8 seconds for meteors that could land anywhere isn't useful (still more useful than my shadow people).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes your lil wizzies just don’t do anything, it’s part of the game. How you cast MI does make a difference however, I would recommend teleporting directly on top of the thing you want to kill before popping images. Also don’t put any other active spell on your bars except Flame Blades and Black Hole, if you’re using that. Never stop channeling Disintegrate when mirror images are active, that’s a huge source of your actual damage.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How do I stop my FotH crusader from being so squishy. Only doing GR90 and I'm dying non stop. I'm running Unity, 5x diamonds in sockets, Aquila in cube.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

bamhand posted:

How do I stop my FotH crusader from being so squishy. Only doing GR90 and I'm dying non stop. I'm running Unity, 5x diamonds in sockets, Aquila in cube.

Kill stuff before it kills you. Squirts+Gizzard/focus+restraint and dodging and you should be able to clear the screen ahead of you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got two Ethereals!

Both weapons!

Neither of them is the Knife I need!

Booooooo!

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
There’s an ethereal hunting community. Pretty easy to get into a snapshotted level 12 game and murder things. I got the achievement done in about 6 or so hours over two days. (Did have a 70 gem of ease to get a new character to level 16+ quickly).

No good for usable ethereals, but it works for getting the transmog unlock.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Bust Rodd posted:

I got two Ethereals!

Both weapons!

Neither of them is the Knife I need!

Booooooo!

good news, they're all weapons

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes your lil wizzies just don’t do anything, it’s part of the game. How you cast MI does make a difference however, I would recommend teleporting directly on top of the thing you want to kill before popping images. Also don’t put any other active spell on your bars except Flame Blades and Black Hole, if you’re using that. Never stop channeling Disintegrate when mirror images are active, that’s a huge source of your actual damage.

Thanks that helped a bit. I probs just have to get better at teleporting in then out. "On my bars" just means selected as a skill right? If so yes it's setup right.

Also I finally got a level 70 ethereal

Not the best for my build, but numbers go up.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
For the people just going for the achievement of collecting them all a goon suggested snap shotting games to low level and using puzzle rings so I tested it and each puzzle ring on torment 6 is 1-2 eths so I can believe his claim he finished the achieve in 45 minutes or so. The only issue is finding people with enough puzzle rings interested in doing it.

Aaod fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 29, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I bet cow levels will get you there. I have like 8 of those things sitting around.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
if all else fails just straight rifting a snapshot game works. You should get 1 ethereal on average for every 12 legendaries that drip with monk having the worst odds and DH having the best.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No ethereals yet, but I got an organic Whimsydale portal so that was sweet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I keep seeing this word “snapshotting” and I have no idea what it means.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You start a game with a level 12 character so the item drops are "snapshotted" to level 12. Then come in with high level characters to kill stuff quickly and get level 12 ethereals. Your drop rates for those are much higher at low level.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bamhand posted:

You start a game with a level 12 character so the item drops are "snapshotted" to level 12. Then come in with high level characters to kill stuff quickly and get level 12 ethereals. Your drop rates for those are much higher at low level.

Oh so this is just for the transmog, not usable items?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Level a character 1 to level 12. This is the character you will use to create/set your "snapshots". Do not use it for anything other than creating games from this point forward.

Then use any character on any class that is more than four levels higher than your snapshot character, which means anything level 16+.

When you join a game as a character 4+ levels higher than the character that made the game, the game itself does not change its level difficulty to the new player. Anything less than 4 and the game will change.

If you play on PC then at the top right corner of the screen you'll see something like Torment 16 (70). That would mean that the game was set to T16 difficulty for a level 70 character. Coincidentally, this is also why when power leveling, the level 1 character joins the game, not makes it.

When a level 16-70 character joins a game created by a level 12 character the difficulty never changes and thus the monsters are forever stuck at the difficulty the game would expect for a level 12 character.

Ergo you have the first l12 make the game, then you have a second player join with a 16-70 and the game creator exits the game and rejoins with their own 16-70 and anyone else who wants to participate also joins.

The reason why you want to do this is because of the reduced loot tables for monsters at level 12 makes it so you are more likely to get your ethereal drops, same concept as low level Kadala gambling.

So once everyone is in the game you do either vaults, cows, or just regular rifts and the way the math works out is 1 ethereal will drop per ~12 legendaries.

With a level 25 gem of ease in a level 70 weapon plus your paragon points, no matter how few, put into whatever, you can do the content otherwise naked and one shot everything.

This lets you bypass having to level to 70 on every class and build a set that lets you farm GR90s for maximal rates.

Maxroll has a guide on this as well if you just check out the ethereal farming guide on the site.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh so this is just for the transmog, not usable items?

Yes

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Has anyone figured out a way to farm ethereals on console? Or are we just effed? :smith:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Other option is just run speed 90s.

Is there a reason snapshotting wouldn't work on console?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

bamhand posted:

Other option is just run speed 90s.

Is there a reason snapshotting wouldn't work on console?

When the creator/host of the game leaves it doesn't persist, it picks a random other member of the group to be the new host and a new game instance happens(new bounties/everything). I experimented with hosting a game with level 12 character and letting people join and run around while the 12 character stayed in town, but they all got level 70 items and didn't get any ethereals in the few riffs we did, so I don't think people's items are dependent on the game level on consoles. I've tried everything I can think of, so I was hoping somebody else had heard of or figured out a way to do it. I'm far too casual player to speed run 90s on a second account to collect them all.

Edit: I'm on switch, but I assume it works the same on other consoles.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 29, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ah I see. I honestly have had better luck running speed 90s than doing the snapshot thing. I tried today and got nothing in 30 minutes. Overall drop rates in T6 are so low, even if the chance for eth is much higher. I'm sure snapshotting is still faster overall but it's not a magic bullet.

deaf jesus
Feb 19, 2004
hear no evil
Prepare a Character at level 5 to 10 for every classes (Level 7 is suggested)

Prepare a level-1 powerful weapon for all classes by using Gem of Ease with Kanai's Cube

Use the Legendary power of Illusory Boots with Kanai's Cube

Prepare Puzzie rings

Put one of the Puzzie rings into Kanai's Cube to open Goblin's Vault

Enter Goblin's Vault and kill the boss Greed only

Greed will drop two legendary items, each of which has 50% chance to be an Ethereal item

Repeat steps 1-7

Best way I've found to do it in some reddit thread. Yes, it works pretty much 50% of the time. Only drawback is collecting puzzle rings.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
if only I could my pages of non-seasonal puzzle rings to do that :sweatdrop:

bamhand posted:

Ah I see. I honestly have had better luck running speed 90s than doing the snapshot thing. I tried today and got nothing in 30 minutes. Overall drop rates in T6 are so low, even if the chance for eth is much higher. I'm sure snapshotting is still faster overall but it's not a magic bullet.

T16 drops less than 10x legendaries over T6 but also dilutes the loot table by over 10x at level 70 vs 12 so farming the baby eths in a snapshot game is statistically faster. Also one requires gearing up to GR90 and the other requires nothing but a PL.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I got to level 10 off a single kill on t6 with my gem of ease'd In Geom. You can power level yourself in seconds for this, basically.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Swilo posted:

if only I could my pages of non-seasonal puzzle rings to do that :sweatdrop:

T16 drops less than 10x legendaries over T6 but also dilutes the loot table by over 10x at level 70 vs 12 so farming the baby eths in a snapshot game is statistically faster. Also one requires gearing up to GR90 and the other requires nothing but a PL.

GR90 is a fairly trivial thing to hit though. I wouldn't recommend farming T16 over T6 for eths. But I feel 90's are alright, though still a bit slower than snapshotting. Plus I can level up gems for augmenting or whatever.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Wait do you need to find ethereals on a season character or can you find them on regular characters?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
eths are season only, and won't carry over to non-season at the end of the season.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
And you get the transmogs after the season only if you unlock the feat of strength which includes getting all ethereals on all characters, including the Necro, for 21 total unique drops.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Done my stuff, got my pet. Had an early death and lost my only 6 piece at the time which slowed things down but other than that was real easy.

Did Worlds Apart for the challenge and was easier than I expected with Chicken/Mundunugu sets.

Ethereals are cool, got TWO absolutely disgusting ones, but I'm not going to farm the rest of them because honestly they look like rear end.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Dameius posted:

And you get the transmogs after the season only if you unlock the feat of strength which includes getting all ethereals on all characters, including the Necro, for 21 total unique drops.

oh lol well that can get all the way hosed

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Also I finally got a level 70 ethereal

Not the best for my build, but numbers go up.

I was wrong and this wrecked my build. I didn't think about the teleport chatting mana issue. So I can't keep disintegrate up.

I cubed that death wish, so there's no going back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Target Practice posted:

oh lol well that can get all the way hosed

Yeah, it's pretty stupid poo poo that these are single season only, and that you HAVE to get them ALL to use them as transmogs. Classic Activision.