Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

big lol at some of the stuff. looking forward to the next show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

Then they shouldn't have added the stipulation.

Yeah this.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced we're still somehow getting Hangman vs Kenny at the PPV. The whole feud is red hot and everyone was going nuts for Hangman and the Dark Order tonight. The alternative is putting something together in the next few weeks which just seems like such a dumb thing to do when you have this really long arc that has a natural conclusion right here. And I keep seeing all of these takes that Hangman just needs to fail a liiiittle bit more first which is just crazy. He's failed repeatedly and clawed his way back. All Out should be the climax and you don't just shove a whole other act into the story when it's as hot as it's ever going to be. If they take another several months to circle back around to this, I won't be as interested as I am right now and I don't care how many One Winged Angels he kicks out of. Now is when the iron is hot

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

We’re on the road coming home from the BOPLEX ARENA.

That was a loving fantastic show and the five hours just flew by. I need to be up early to get to the doctor in the morning but right now I am so jazzed that I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
[Juventud Guerrera], 24, was arrested after police officers using capsicum spray as he had stripped himself naked and was throwing chairs and screaming obscenities and threatening to kill himself near the hotel restaurant. WCW officials called police when they were unable to control him at about 10:40 a.m. as he was stripping his clothes off at the hotel in front of wrestlers, patrons and autograph seekers while people were eating breakfast at the restaurant hotel, and swearing and yelling at wrestlers and office people including Oscar Gutierrez (Rey Misterio Jr.), Charles Ashenoff (Konnan), Terry Taylor and Glen Gilbertti (Disqo). Several of the wrestlers and WCW officials tried to get him under control, and failing to do so, Taylor called for the police. The situation was said by one official to be scary to the point they were afraid his reaction to the drugs was potentially life threatening based on comments he was making, and they were unable to get him in his hotel room where it wouldn't become a public and media spectacle. There was also some fear even if they got him in his room, he'd try and jump out the window and kill himself. Some put heat on WCW officials who called police, Taylor in particular, as opposed to settling it in quietly, and on everyone involved for not subduing Gonzalez, being that he's not a big guy, but not among those close to the situation. All attempts to control him failed as he was wildly throwing blows at anyone who came near him.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I don't mind being worked because it means I'm invested I guess. Here I am 4 hours later bummed out that Hangman lost, and if that's how Tony wants me to feel to make his coronation even better, he succeeded. Don't hurt me, Tony.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Hefty Leftist posted:

this isn't WWE, AEW isn't going to drop their long term star in Hangman for Christian Cage, CM Punk or Bryan Danielson. next week the Elite will come out and gloat and the story will continue. you're getting worked

there's a difference between getting worked and thinking they maybe blew an already well built chance to pull the trigger

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Just got back from Bojangles, still buzzing from how incredible a show that was

Like a lot of you, 100% shocked at Hangman losing, gutsy booking call given how bummed the crowd legitimately seemed in the aftermath. I have faith that Hangman's still next in line but dang that OWA was a real gutpunch. Got chills at the DO entrance, when the crowd popped for Page it was the loudest I'd ever been a part of

Tanahashi's appearance might have generated the second-loudest pop of the night, GO ACE

The "we can't hear you" chants at Ricky were emblematic of audio issues that plagued the show until about 75% of the way through Dynamite, until that point we were basically unable to hear any of the backstage stuff

Even more baffled by PnP losing as their path to a title shot is now much murkier, but again, I'm sure it'll work out

Nick Gage was loving OVER, I was seated next to a Hot Topic sort of gentleman who was MDK all day and let everyone know it

Nearly five hours of wrestling is too much to ask anyone to sit through, crowd was down to about 10% of its original sellout size by the time the main event of Dark rolled around (Dante Martin vs. Eddie Kingston in a short but hard-hitting affair). Glad I stayed for the whole thing but it got to be a slog near the end

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Daniel Bryan should debut but just to explain to Hangman how to sneak into a PPV main event then he goes back to growing vegetables in his garden or whatever

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I agree they could have pulled the trigger tonight, but we have a month for Omega's hubris to force him to accept Hangman's challenge.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Glad I stayed for the whole thing but it got to be a slog near the end

i bet, i hope rampage splits it up for the audiences so everything stays hot

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Gage/Jericho match was pretty good, made legendary by the dominos commercial.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Nearly five hours of wrestling is too much to ask anyone to sit through, crowd was down to about 10% of its original sellout size by the time the main event of Dark rolled around (Dante Martin vs. Eddie Kingston in a short but hard-hitting affair). Glad I stayed for the whole thing but it got to be a slog near the end

I'd have to imagine rampage is going to change the structure of aew tapings pretty majorly so hopefully this is the last time thatll be a problem

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Dark on Dynamite and Elevation on Rampage or vice versa is what i feel like aew might do, hopefully they dont just extending the dark and elevation tapings too much

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I have watched the dark order Hangman entrance way too many times

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dynamite ruled. gently caress what a fun show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Crapple! posted:

Yeah this.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced we're still somehow getting Hangman vs Kenny at the PPV. The whole feud is red hot and everyone was going nuts for Hangman and the Dark Order tonight. The alternative is putting something together in the next few weeks which just seems like such a dumb thing to do when you have this really long arc that has a natural conclusion right here. And I keep seeing all of these takes that Hangman just needs to fail a liiiittle bit more first which is just crazy. He's failed repeatedly and clawed his way back. All Out should be the climax and you don't just shove a whole other act into the story when it's as hot as it's ever going to be. If they take another several months to circle back around to this, I won't be as interested as I am right now and I don't care how many One Winged Angels he kicks out of. Now is when the iron is hot

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. The iron is red hot right now and it's just going to cool down the longer you wait.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheRealVirgil/status/1420551563010007040

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kenny is gonna be mad Hangman's new friends are there for him and give him the title match... but if Hangman loses the Dark Order disbands or leaves town or something.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was explaining the Summerslam 2010 "John Cena and His Team of Stupid Idiots vs. The Nexus" elimination match in the context of tonight's elimination match and was struck by how many people from that PPV card (nearly 11 years ago!) are still around in wrestling 11 years later:

Evan Bourne vs. Zack Ryder
Dolph Ziggler (w. Vickie Guerrero) vs. Kofi Kingston
Melina vs. Alicia Fox
Big Show vs. CM Punk, Joey Mercury, Luke Gallows, Serena Deeb
Rand Orton vs. Sheamus
Kane vs. Rey Mysterio
John Cena, John Morrison, R-Truth, Chris Jericho, Edge, and Daniel Bryan vs. Wade Barrett, David Otunga, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater, Darren Young, Skip Sheffield, and Michael Tarver

I also looked up other events from that weekend and what AEW wrestlers were up to and:

John Moxley beat Nick Gage for the CZW title.
Kenny Omega was in the midcard of a DDT show held in front of ~200 people.
Player Uno beat Ethan Page in the opening match of a show held at Fat Boy's Bar & Grill in Hamilton
Colt Cabana and the Rock N Roll Express were at the Gathering of the Juggalos
Joey Janela wrestled "The Jersey Shore Lunatic" Slayer at a Volunteer Fire Company Hall
John Silver beat Alex Reynolds for the NYWC Fusion Title
Karl Anderson competed in the G1, picking up a garbage time win against Toru Yano
Scorpio Sky teamed with Joey Ryan to defeat Rocky Romero and TJP at an M1W show
Jake Roberts squashed "Mr. TA" at a Big Time Wrestling show in Webster MA
Not AEW but the golden age of NWA:MS held two shows, one of which headlined by The Maestro vs. KARL
Adam Page was one week away from his debut match in front of fans.
Dante Martin was getting ready to start fourth grade.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Oh, also - if any one of you were the one with the PERSONA 4 > PERSONA 5 sign, I was the guy in the bathroom who said "I mean, that's true, but 3 is better than both of them."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Oh, also - if any one of you were the one with the PERSONA 4 > PERSONA 5 sign, I was the guy in the bathroom who said "I mean, that's true, but 3 is better than both of them."

Oh god I disagree with both those opinions!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I wanted to call that guy out so drat bad.

3 > 5 > 4 though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. The iron is red hot right now and it's just going to cool down the longer you wait.

On the other hand, no it won't.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Give Juvi a mic and let him cut a promo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I feel like the buzz for this storyline isn't going away

https://twitter.com/trentzylocks/status/1420600989854232576?s=19

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I watched the opening again (and again, and again) and Excaliber just says, "...Hangman Page must step aside from the top 5" so he should just take a page from a certain DMD and do some Dark & Elevation matches over the next month

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Me, a Naito fan, when people say this was a bad decision that is going to cool Hangman off:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
- Still can't believe Hangman's team lost. I'm so interested in what comes next. I actually am kinda pleased with the outcome even though it was unexpected. Was not into the champs being pinned in another eliminator match so soon.
- GO ACE GO ACE GO ACE GO ACE
- I'm glad Cash is alright. Unfortunately snake bitten match there.
- Thunder Rosa is so over. I'm thrilled for her and the future of that division.
- MDK all fuckin day.

We are actually getting Juventud in a match in 2021 on national television. Insane.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Hangman lost because he didn't do the Dark Order hand thing. He pointed his finger like a gun instead, which is Bullet Club stuff. If he had shown full solidarity with the Dark Order and done the hand thing he would've won

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think Hangman's in danger of cooling off if you don't pull the trigger; I just don't think there's a better championship story to get the audience invested in in time for All Out.

The lone exception I can think of would be Darby, but every other conceivable contender would feel too much like filler to justify putting a white-hot babyface on the backburner one month before the PPV

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Bryan Danielson had people chanting Best In The World at him years before Punk called himself that :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MJeff posted:

Me, a Naito fan, when people say this was a bad decision that is going to cool Hangman off:

KENTA.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xbilkis posted:

I don't think Hangman's in danger of cooling off if you don't pull the trigger; I just don't think there's a better championship story to get the audience invested in in time for All Out.

The lone exception I can think of would be Darby, but every other conceivable contender would feel too much like filler to justify putting a white-hot babyface on the backburner one month before the PPV

Christian Cage and Orange Cassidy can both be heated up very quickly.

Lid posted:

KENTA.

That has nothing to do with him losing and also I'm still right about that.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Hangman should go late stage WCW Sid Vicious and inexplicably win 20 matches a week that no one sees.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

So, I think it's possible they missed the perfect moment with Hangman, but, if next week the response to Adam is muted, I will be annoyed then, I will not be annoyed until that's definitely what happened. If everything all works out then I'll be happy. I'm not gonna pretend like I know for sure. I'm a little worried, but I'm willing to keep the "wait and see" mentality until the moment it's clear they've hosed up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tweak posted:

I watched the opening again (and again, and again) and Excaliber just says, "...Hangman Page must step aside from the top 5" so he should just take a page from a certain DMD and do some Dark & Elevation matches over the next month

If he wrestles on every live show from now until All Out he might have a credible enough record to challenge the person in line in a #1 contender's match.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

(Deep breath)

I had some reservations about this match. Especially once I realized it was elimination rules. Because...
1) Kenny and the Bucks have eaten something like 3 pins over the last year. There's no way they were going to eat 3 more in a single match.
2) The Dark Order are very popular midcarders and are suboptimal backup if we're being honest.
3) Don Callis was on commentary. He wasn't on commentary when GB lost to Mox/Kingston, when Mox beat Anderson or when Kingston/Penta beat the Young Bucks. They are protecting the Elite so meticulously that their mouthpiece is never made to eat crow while on commentary.

So Hangman lost, Elite won. Why? Is it to make the eventual comeuppance that much sweeter when Hangman overcomes the odds and beats Kenny for the title? Seriously? Really? They've spent so much time beating the 'Hangman loses big matches drum' already, why do they need another beat? We know Hangman's character arc involves him eventually finding the strength of character and support to overcome these losses and solider on. They had a whole video thing of it to start the show. We loving know. We already had a 'Hangman gets knocked out of the #1 contendership' story beat. Hangman's arc has played out over the course of a year and a half. How many more beats do we need before we finally get the catharsis of him emerging triumphant.

Do The Elite somehow need to be shown as being even more antagonistic and more dominant? We're entering month 8 of 'Elite cheat to win, Callis crows'. Isn't that enough? Are we not sufficiently antagonized by now? Are we not rooting for the comeuppance of these baddies enough? Did Hangman need to be pinned by the OWA again just to establish that nobody kicks out of the OWA? Enough already. The pump is primed, The Elite have hit their expiration date. You can't have a group be this antagonistic and this unbeatable for this long. It gets tiresome. Who likes being pissed off for 7 solid months? Not me. That's for sure. You know what? Maybe it is just me. I'll admit; my favorite shows/movies are ones where either there is no antagonist or the antagonist is just a stick for the protagonist to chase rather than somebody who actually triumphs at any point in the show. Like The Fifth Element. Zerg monologues at a priest, fails to kill Leeloo or get the stones and explodes. Or Scott Pilgrim: Gideon throws a bunch of nerds at Scott for him to knock down, gets one cheapshot win on him that gets immediately negated and gets kicked into coins. So maybe it's just my own sensibilities. Does anybody think Hangman's eventual win is worth almost 9 months of this? Because I gotta tell you; I've seen this sort of thing plenty of times before and the payoff never feels worth the buildup.

And this is a good time to remind you that Kenny and Young Bucks are my favorite wrestlers on the planet and I was one of the biggest critics of Dark Order early on (my gang tag is a rib).

The Inner Circle never felt nearly this dominant and by this point in Jericho's reign Moxley was champion. They felt like a good balance of antagonizing and endearing. The Elite have somehow managed to be so antagonizing the fact that Kenny has degraded to cartoon villainy and The Bucks are at risk of hitting an overflow error in their cockiness stat is just lost in the static of endless Don Callis being proven right.

Also; ok who beats the Bucks now? PnP just lost to FTR. Another FTR vs Bucks match would be awful because finding a rooting interest would be impossible. Also Cash might be badly injured. Trent is injured. Dark Order just got literally dunked on. Death Triangle just spent the first half of the year losing to them. Jurassic Express seems to be focusing on Jungle Boy's singles push. Who else is there that can be taken remotely seriously as an opponent? The Bucks have officially reached the point where the tag titles are just their toys and have been since their inception. The entire tag division, lauded as the best in the world, somehow has booked every other team as not being on the Bucks level. Good thing they're actually the best tag team in the world...I guess.

Mind you I don't suddenly hate AEW. I don't think their booking is suddenly garbage (though imagine in HHH or Jeff Jarrett LITERALLY dunked on a hot act coming back from injury. AEW has earned the benefit of the doubt that they haven't but yikes). But this is galling. Now if they still have Kenny v Hangman at the next PPV and Hangman wins, this is ultimately not super important. But if this is an excuse to extend the feud another 3 months...oh gently caress that. Just gently caress that. Congratulations Tony, you worked me. I'm not sure why though. I was already down to watch this match before this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not like Hangman's Shida, he'll be here next week.

what did I ever do to you

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Fun show. Y’all Go out of your way to find things to complain about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Does anybody think Hangman's eventual win is worth almost 9 months of this? Because I gotta tell you; I've seen this sort of thing plenty of times before and the payoff never feels worth the buildup.

Wrestlemania XXX felt worth it to me, even though it was completely unintentional.