Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
With you all the way on eye protection. I remember one camping trip, maybe 15 years ago, an inexperienced member of the group was using a hatchet badly and ended up sending half of a big log directly at my face.

Luckily I ducked in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

exoskeleton built from hatchets and tensioned paracord

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

poeticoddity posted:

I'm just gonna throw out this suggestion: If you're going to be using a saw, hatchet, or other method to fell limbs, split wood, etc., wear eye protection.
Getting poked in the eye by a branch sucks. I cannot fathom how much getting a splinter to the eye sucks.

If the hatchet is too much over weight, the PPE is so much more..

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I got some permethrin and the directions say in all caps DO NOT TREAT UNDERWEAR, CAPS, OR INNER CLOTHING. Is treating a t shirt ok?

That's probably the only thing I'm going to be wearing on my upper half, unless it gets cold and I put on a sweatshirt/jacket (which I will treat). I guess I'll avoid treating my socks since those are undergarments, even though everyone in the REI online reviews says they are treating socks anyway. Does anyone treat gear besides clothing?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Definitely treat your tent

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The only time I bring a hatchet is when I am pulling a pulk along with my winter tent and wood stove. Otherwise if on the very rare chance I need to process wood I'd prefer a saw 9 times out of 10.

kreeningsons posted:

I got some permethrin and the directions say in all caps DO NOT TREAT UNDERWEAR, CAPS, OR INNER CLOTHING. Is treating a t shirt ok?

That's probably the only thing I'm going to be wearing on my upper half, unless it gets cold and I put on a sweatshirt/jacket (which I will treat). I guess I'll avoid treating my socks since those are undergarments, even though everyone in the REI online reviews says they are treating socks anyway. Does anyone treat gear besides clothing?

I treat all my clothes except my boxers. That includes socks, hats, neck buff, etc. I'll also spray down tarps, tents, hammocks, etc. Some people report rashes but that seems like a rare reaction for people. Just follow the directions on the bottle, try it out before you're on the trail to see how you react, then treat clothes accordingly.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah I also spray my socks, shoes, and go heavy with it on my pants cuffs. Never had a rash. There's kinda no reason to spray boxers though anyway.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

armorer posted:

Yeah I also spray my socks, shoes, and go heavy with it on my pants cuffs. Never had a rash. There's kinda no reason to spray boxers though anyway.

I got a sleeping bag liner treated with permethrin. Haven’t tested it yet, but I’m assuming the treatment is only on the outside then? Will this mess up the inside of my bag? I don’t even know if it’s necessary to have it but sounded like a good idea.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to treat the tent since I’m going on a guided trip and they aren’t my tents.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

liz posted:

I got a sleeping bag liner treated with permethrin. Haven’t tested it yet, but I’m assuming the treatment is only on the outside then? Will this mess up the inside of my bag? I don’t even know if it’s necessary to have it but sounded like a good idea.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to treat the tent since I’m going on a guided trip and they aren’t my tents.

It'll be fine so long as you let it completely dry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A usb powered fan might be the best tent upgrade I've ever tried out. I should have done it years ago.

Falling asleep under a breeze after sweating all day is just the best.

I guess I should try out cowboy camping someday for the earth friendly version.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

xzzy posted:

A usb powered fan might be the best tent upgrade I've ever tried out. I should have done it years ago.

Falling asleep under a breeze after sweating all day is just the best.

I guess I should try out cowboy camping someday for the earth friendly version.

I picked a Geek Aire fan earlier this year and I will never car camp without it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3ZG4B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Move to Finland.. nights are "cold" (max 20C in forest during Summer) as well.

Anyways. I am fed up with my Sawyer. It clogs up after 2 liters even if I have washed it to perfection with vinegar, hot water etc. and it had the best possible flow before a trip.

I could either: carry more water, be extremely picky/selective which water to filter so the Sawyer doesn't get instantly clogged. Most of the water here in Finland is "clear but colored", meaning the water has thousands of nearly invisible pieces of peat floating in the water. That and other crap in water turbofucks the filtration capacity. I have to be cleaning and backflushing the filter all the time and it is a big pain. I hate it. It's not the worst but If there was an option to live without it...

So I googled and found out about MSR guardian. Unlike alllll the other hollow fibre filters, this has one specialty (if I understood it right). The water flows through the filter. The hollow fibres are straight, not "U" shaped like in other products. So the crap passes straight thru the filter and out from the filter from the 2nd hose.

All the other filters are "dead end" design. IF crap gets in filter, it gets stuck in filter and flow becomes poo poo. In MSR Guardian crap passes through the filter and out of it... it basically separates pure water from crap, and pushes the debris out via the 2nd hose.

Why not to buy it? It's expensive yes, but if one wants to spend monney..? :shepspends:

I'd love a low-maintenance filter which doesn't get clogged every 2 litrers or where I wouldn't have to be picky with the water source.

One guy at sectionhiker comments said this:

quote:

Do I sometimes think I’d rather carry something 6 or 10 oz instead of 17oz? Sure, sometimes when I’m going up a lot of really steep grades. Everybody on the JMT had Sawyers, and I mean everybody. Then when my group camped next to a stagnant pool on the JMT everybody was delighted when I offered to filll all the water bottles for four people in ten minutes, none of them wanted to use their Sawyers in those ponds. With my previous Katadyn ceramic filter I had to remember to occasionally clean with a scratchy pad when green stuff clogged the pores and it got harder and harder to pump. The Guardian automatically backflushes itself with every stroke and it never slows down. It doesn’t get stiffer and stiffer if I neglect maintenance. (what maintenance?) I never wonder if I have to bring a spare filter element. You absolutely must never let the hollow fiber element dry out – it has a cap you leave on any time you’re not pumping whether the pump is in the field or in storage. No cleaning a Sawyer before and after every trip. Just screw the cap on and forget it. I can remember to do that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways. I am fed up with my Sawyer. It clogs up after 2 liters even if I have washed it to perfection with vinegar, hot water etc. and it had the best possible flow before a trip.

So I googled and found out about MSR guardian. Unlike alllll the other hollow fibre filters, this has one specialty (if I understood it right). The water flows through the filter. The hollow fibres are straight, not "U" shaped like in other products. So the crap passes straight thru the filter and out from the filter from the 2nd hose.

I dont have that exact model but I have their older version from about 5-6 years ago and it still holds up great.

When I go to new places I'll bring the heavier pump filter. It can pre-screen that sediment you're talking about and help keep water flowing in silty areas way way better than a Sawyer Squeeze can. It usually works faster too.

If I'm going to areas I've been before and trust the water than I'll bring a Sawyer Squeeze. Also the mini's are awful and worth no ones time, and I've never had much luck with those BeFree filters either, having 2 break pretty quickly on me.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

I could either: carry more water, be extremely picky/selective which water to filter so the Sawyer doesn't get instantly clogged. Most of the water here in Finland is "clear but colored", meaning the water has thousands of nearly invisible pieces of peat floating in the water. That and other crap in water turbofucks the filtration capacity. I have to be cleaning and backflushing the filter all the time and it is a big pain. I hate it. It's not the worst but If there was an option to live without it...

All the other filters are "dead end" design. IF crap gets in filter, it gets stuck in filter and flow becomes poo poo. In MSR Guardian crap passes through the filter and out of it... it basically separates pure water from crap, and pushes the debris out via the 2nd hose.

Why not to buy it? It's expensive yes, but if one wants to spend monney..? :shepspends:

I'd love a low-maintenance filter which doesn't get clogged every 2 litrers or where I wouldn't have to be picky with the water source.

One guy at sectionhiker comments said this:

New hotness is the Platypus Quickdraw. It's noticeably faster than my Sawyer Squeeze and super easy to backflush in the field. Haven't had it slow down yet. It's still relatively new though so long-term reviews are not quite a thing.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. Mini has too little filtration capacity, I have the regular one. Problem in Finland is that 70% of the boglands were dug full of ditches with shovels and machines in 50-80's to get more land where trees grow. So all the peat now flows through millions of man-made small streams and ditches to smaller lakes, bigger lakes etc. The crap is absolutely everywhere.

I'll try the MSR. I've babysitted the sawyer for too long. I carry too much water with me because I try to avoid using the Sawyer more than twice a day. If the MSR works better and doesn't get instantly clogged, I could carry a lot less water and just filter water quickly on the go.

Edit: quickdraw looks like a clone of sawyer. I don't see where else can the crap end up except in the filter. And it gets clogged. Then I have to flush and maintain it... MSR Guardian is apparently made for military use, so it's meant for dumb fucks who can't properly maintain their gear. Sounds about perfect for me.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 30, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I picked a Geek Aire fan earlier this year and I will never car camp without it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3ZG4B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this fan is 110$ on sale, 140 regular. if you're car camping anyway, why not just get a power converter and a 20$ box fan?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I purchased some rando ALLCAPS brand Amazon camping fan 2 years ago and its worked great for car camping - https://www.amazon.com/REENUO-4400mAh-Camping-Rechargeable-Operated/dp/B07RZC56WX

We can run that on medium through most of the night and it really helps cool down a tent in the summer. Not saying its like a huge box fan or anything but it works for my wife and dog in our tent.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. Mini has too little filtration capacity, I have the regular one. Problem in Finland is that 70% of the boglands were dug full of ditches with shovels and machines in 50-80's to get more land where trees grow. So all the peat now flows through millions of man-made small streams and ditches to smaller lakes, bigger lakes etc. The crap is absolutely everywhere.

I'll try the MSR. I've babysitted the sawyer for too long. I carry too much water with me because I try to avoid using the Sawyer more than twice a day. If the MSR works better and doesn't get instantly clogged, I could carry a lot less water and just filter water quickly on the go.

Edit: quickdraw looks like a clone of sawyer. I don't see where else can the crap end up except in the filter. And it gets clogged. Then I have to flush and maintain it... MSR Guardian is apparently made for military use, so it's meant for dumb fucks who can't properly maintain their gear. Sounds about perfect for me.

The Quickdraw has a few advantages over the Sawyer Squeeze like toolless back flushing and better compatibility with water bottles due to having two thread sizes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I purchased some rando ALLCAPS brand Amazon camping fan 2 years ago and its worked great for car camping - https://www.amazon.com/REENUO-4400mAh-Camping-Rechargeable-Operated/dp/B07RZC56WX

We can run that on medium through most of the night and it really helps cool down a tent in the summer. Not saying its like a huge box fan or anything but it works for my wife and dog in our tent.

I’ve got virtually the same thing, but with a built in battery so it’ll run all night on low or something like that. I’d tell you if the battery was any good but I forgot to charge it before my last trip, which was super disappointing when I pulled it out of the crate. Still, really quite effective at cooling down and getting air movement in a tent when I actually remember to charge it

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chard posted:

this fan is 110$ on sale, 140 regular. if you're car camping anyway, why not just get a power converter and a 20$ box fan?

Cause having a good cordless fan that last all day is worth that, especially if your wife is going through menopause. We not only use it for camping, she uses when cooking or in her home office or hanging out on deck. If she heard you say this she might stab you (especially if she was having a hot flash). The convince of it is worth every dollar especially given the battery life. I have a Tacoma that allows you to plug stuff into the truck bed and a Jackery 500, so I have the power to do other things if I want (and charge stuff as needed).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 31, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of plugging stuff into a car, does anyone have a hot tip for replacing cigarette lighter plugs? I'm talking full conversion, cutting off the ends of wires and adding my own plugs because I am getting extremely tired of cigarette plugs rattling loose on bad roads.

Anderson Powerpoles seem like the type of thing I should use, just curious what other options might be out there. Going full USB would be the dream but it's probably a bad idea because so many car accessories are built for 12v.

On second thought maybe this fits better in a thread in AI somewhere..

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Speaking of plugging stuff into a car, does anyone have a hot tip for replacing cigarette lighter plugs? I'm talking full conversion, cutting off the ends of wires and adding my own plugs because I am getting extremely tired of cigarette plugs rattling loose on bad roads.

Anderson Powerpoles seem like the type of thing I should use, just curious what other options might be out there. Going full USB would be the dream but it's probably a bad idea because so many car accessories are built for 12v.

On second thought maybe this fits better in a thread in AI somewhere..

You want to remove your 12v plugs and replace them with a different connector type?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep!

I'm pretty comfortable with amateur level dicking with electronics, it's just a matter of deciding what connectors to convert to.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So like you're going to convert your devices and accessories to the other type of connectors too?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Speaking of plugging stuff into a car, does anyone have a hot tip for replacing cigarette lighter plugs?

I've added USB Chargers to my motorcycle, cutting off the plug and splicing a new adapter on there would be even more straightforward. I'd personally recommend getting the 12v universal adapter, since USB charging standards change over time, and this would let you keep current with a cheap adapter.

nate fisher posted:

I have a Tacoma that allows you to plug stuff into the truck bed and a Jackery 500, so I have the power to do other things if I want (and charge stuff as needed).

I would like to know more about your solar generator, please and thank you! I was looking at getting one and a couple of 100w suitcase panels to take car camping so I could work on the road. I'd be especially curious to get your impressions and why Jackery vs something else :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, solar panels are awesome. My current dream upgrade is a small compressor fridge, a battery to power it and a solar panel to charge it. The fridges take about 50w to run so a 100w panel is perfect for 24/7 cold stuff. Being able to go remote and take perishables without needing bags of ice sounds glorious.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've added USB Chargers to my motorcycle, cutting off the plug and splicing a new adapter on there would be even more straightforward. I'd personally recommend getting the 12v universal adapter, since USB charging standards change over time, and this would let you keep current with a cheap adapter.

I would like to know more about your solar generator, please and thank you! I was looking at getting one and a couple of 100w suitcase panels to take car camping so I could work on the road. I'd be especially curious to get your impressions and why Jackery vs something else :)

I have a 500wh and a 1000wh Jackery. I really like them. They seem to hold a charge for months, they’re easy to use, and… well, that’s actually my whole story. They’re simple and reliable.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OSU_Matthew posted:

I still have bought solar panels for it, because I haven't really needed them. On a full charge it does everything I normally need it to and worst case I recharge it with my truck. I picked Jackery due to it held it's own against Goal Zero (I looked at several comparison reviews online) and was cheaper.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the permethrin tips. I treated my trail outfits and this became the first tick free trip of the summer. Warning to anyone buying the Sawyer brand -- it had a faulty cap and leaked all over my trunk. Was inhaling that poo poo for an hour before I discovered what the smell was. No insects in my lungs so far either.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I like hatchets to delimb trees before cutting them in logs. Pretty much the only reason to bring one along for me. They're good for splitting logs too, but a good knife can easily take care of that.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I still have bought solar panels for it, because I haven't really needed them. On a full charge it does everything I normally need it to and worst case I recharge it with my truck. I picked Jackery due to it held it's own against Goal Zero (I looked at several comparison reviews online) and was cheaper.

I bought solar panels and they're also dead easy to use. They've got a pouch on the back that holds the cable, so you just plug them into the thing and it charges. It's slower than AC, but fast enough that you can get a meaningful amount of charge in a few hours.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

MSR Guardian

My girlfriend got one of these through a pro-deal at work at a huge discount. Its easily the best filter I've used and definitely worth the money if you're going to be pumping a lot of water.

I have a regular Source (or whatever the single tube version is called these days) as well, and the guardian is pretty much twice as fast to fill a 1L nalgene.

They both also screw right into the opening on an MSR dromedary bladder if youre looking to pump a bunch of water for camp too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't like hatchets, but I do like tomahawks.

90% as good as an Estwing, 80% as good as a Gransfors Bruks, but so much more versatile and packable. I prefer a spike on the opposite side, because for anything I'd need to hammer, I grab a rock or chop a baton.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm not really into camping or backpacking, but I'm in the market to buy something adjacent to camping gear. I'm looking for a folding lounge for sunbathing purposes and hanging out on the lawn or in the park, kind of like these:

I'd like something that folds up easily, isn't too heavy, and isn't too fancy. Having it lie flat is a hard requirement. Any recommendations?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Does it need to be Flippy/adjustable? Look into camping or backpacking cots if not, some pack down very well

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Beginning pack list for PCT in mid April 2022. This isn’t separated into biomes like it should be, but consider me needing everything at least once, Rate my pack!

https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

Where did I go wrong, and what is for sure a good decision?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Someone who has actually done the PCT is going to be more qualified to give feedback, but at the very least you probably want some more water bottles or a way to do longer water carries in the desert, a bug headnet for the PNW, and trekking poles for the tent + yourself. If you haven't bought the SOS GPS already maybe the smaller mini model and use your phone for navigation? Especially since you have a 20MAh battery. A wall plug to charge it would be good too. Bear can is good but not necessary everywhere so you should have an alternative planned out as well for food storage so you can cut 3 lbs when you don't need it.

There's definitely some clothes you're missing too but those are biome dependent so someone else can chime in on that.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Good points. I thought I had poles in there and must have missed when I ported over from my excel sheet. Same with the water bottles, I didn’t change the number needed. Other than that, I like your points and suggestions.

I haven’t purchased anything on the list yet, save for some of the medicine in the FAK.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A couple friends attempted the PCT a few years back. They actually found various companies to sponsor and provide them with (replacement) gear.
One thing that stood out to me was them saying that your feet eventually swell to the point where you'll need to get larger hiking boots.

If you haven't checked it out yet, the PCTA has links to various places to get information and chat with other PCT hikers: https://www.pcta.org/community/join-the-conversation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
I talked to REI, but I imagine everyone does. Any idea which companies sponsored them?

That resource is how I originally found the subreddit, but I’ve been wanting to hear goon reviews. For example, I hadn’t heard of the platypus filter until this thread.