Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

5er posted:

I'm going to bet, as opposed to INXS or AC/DC, no one outside of Australia has.

This leads me to a question:

Without going too obscure, who are the "Australiana" bands that never got big outside of Australia? And I am more thinking bands that didn't translate to foreign audiences, as opposed to bands that were just not good enough to get famous overseas.

As mentioned there is TISM, and Cold Chisel. But who else are/were superstars in Oz, but nobodies overseas?

I would posit Crowded House as a band that fits this criteria. As well as possibly Savage Garden and Human Nature. Darryl Braithwaite also qualifies as a local superstar who would be unknown anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ZombyDog posted:

While the majority of the country remains under lockdown, the missus and I took a road trip around the North West corner of Tasmania

[pics]

Wow. That's some beautiful scenery. Just gorgeous.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Without going too obscure, who are the "Australiana" bands that never got big outside of Australia? And I am more thinking bands that didn't translate to foreign audiences, as opposed to bands that were just not good enough to get famous overseas.

As mentioned there is TISM, and Cold Chisel. But who else are/were superstars in Oz, but nobodies overseas?

I would posit Crowded House as a band that fits this criteria. As well as possibly Savage Garden and Human Nature. Darryl Braithwaite also qualifies as a local superstar who would be unknown anywhere else.

Joe Dolce for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Without going too obscure, who are the "Australiana" bands that never got big outside of Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrFkcDhfsYE

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/k_morrissey/status/1344571186693378049

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Didn't the drummer for AC/DC try to hire a hitman to kill his wife? Seems pretty cunty to me if I remember that right.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dragon, John Farnham, Skyhooks, Sherbet

comedy answer; Shannon Noll

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Silverchair maybe? they're a pretty nineties touchstone

could go further back to like The Easybeats and John Paul Young maybe

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Serious answer, The Angels and The Divinyls both come to mind.

Both had limited success in the US but couldn't really break through.
The Angels had to change their name to all sorts of poo poo to avoid legal problems with other similarly named bands.
Chrissy Amphlett was just too horny for the US market at the time.

Both were fairly influential amongst a bunch of US bands.

The Cosmic Psychos also fit this profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jLoxp8EmoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k00GIUaKGzs

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Savage garden were known enough overseas that when I lived in mainland China in 1998 in a place provincial enough that I was asked to confirm/deny the rumour circulating around the university students that my mother taught as to whether or not Elton John was gay, there were students who had heard of them and were fans.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Wrageowrapper posted:

Didn't the drummer for AC/DC try to hire a hitman to kill his wife? Seems pretty cunty to me if I remember that right.

He was charged alongside a drug offence but the hitman charge was dropped a couple of days later, so I guess not.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
"Name some Australian bands"
"Dragon, Crowded house"

loving Australians.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Joe Bogan posted:

"Name some Australian bands"
"Dragon, Crowded house"

loving Australians.

Crowded house were an Australian band who had one member from NZ.

Apparently they still exist in some form or other but the real band died with Paul Hester.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Did Paul Kelly ever success outside of Australia? Alternatively, Diesel, I don't think that guy has ever stopped touring around Australia

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

HAhHahah oh god thats brilliant.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Bill Posters posted:

Crowded house were an Australian band who had one member from NZ.

Apparently they still exist in some form or other but the real band died with Paul Hester.

No one even remembers the original bassist's name so at best it's 50/50

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was gonna say midnight oil but they are pretty popular in brazil for some reason.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

The Whitlams for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qi7SlM1eDk

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Joe Bogan posted:

No one even remembers the original bassist's name so at best it's 50/50

They only ever had the one bass player. He's Mark Seymour's brother which reminds me, Hunters & Collectors is probably another one for the list.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hoodoo gurus?

Goanna.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A lot of these Australian bands that found superstardom at home but no success overseas are 70s and 80s.

The Church and Little River Band are two more I thought of.

Trying to think of more recent ones and not coming up with much success.

Perhaps Oz HipHop? Like Hilltop Hoods?

Would Custard be big enough to qualify as a big band that never found traction overseas?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Dunno about the Hilltop Hoods but apparently The Herd/Urthboy blew up in Korea for a while.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Would Custard be big enough to qualify as a big band that never found traction overseas?

Almost but not quite I reckon.

Dave McCormack is probably more successful overseas now as Bluey's dad than he ever was in Custard.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

maybe Daddy Cool and Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs?

hot drat those Aztecs live releases are great

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
who's ganglier? peter garrett (midnight oil) or bruce spence (mad max)?
the two gangliest cunts on the planet

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAABH3SOMqc

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
stork + alvin purple is a good night in

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Carlos Lantana posted:

who's ganglier? peter garrett (midnight oil) or bruce spence (mad max)?
the two gangliest cunts on the planet

Bruce Reid, (Fast bowler from the 80s) would give them both a run for their gangly money.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Billy Thorpe had pretty decent international recognition, mostly via peers.

I found out watching one of Leland Sklar's lockdown videos (Absolutely a great watch, wholesome and informative and an amazing career) where he talked about working with him on an album.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Yothu Yindi

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Living End maybe?

KING EGG
Dec 1, 2000

Saturday is "Treat Day"

alf_pogs posted:

Silverchair maybe? they're a pretty nineties touchstone

could go further back to like The Easybeats and John Paul Young maybe

Silverchair were huge in the US in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bKg7JKcxg

Chris Joannou on bass rocking an "Even" t-shirt. Even are a band that deserved a lot more mainstream success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEkfMVew-Y

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Poor fuckin' Joseph Dolce, he started out as a theatre performer (he played the lead role of Mascarille in Molière's "Les Précieuses Ridicules") and became a professional musician when he moved to Australia (his first single was a protest song on the poor treatment of Vietnamese refugees) and he's done decades of work in cabaret and performance pieces and movie acting and essay writing (writing dozens of essays about William S. Burroughs and Florence Foster Jenkins etc etc for publications like Quadrant and Meanjin) and is a widely published & lauded poet (at one point he was the City of Melbourne Poet Laureate) and the only thing people ever remember about him is this dumb song he wrote which was just a bunch of direct quotes from his extended Italian family members which went on to become Australia's highest selling single (dethroning Mike Brady's 'Up There Cazaly', the previous record holder).

His other big claim to fame is the song 'Intimacy' from the Terminator soundtrack, which he produced & co-wrote with his wife Lin van Hek but no one remembers that either. (You can see Joe's head pop up out of a box at 0:42)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRBhxizY_TE

He apparently lives in my neighbourhood, I've probably walked past him in the street a bunch of times without recognizing him.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I never really specified a specific type of oval office. Just general cunts.
His answer was Inxs.

Guns In The Sky was a pretty good song. And a few others.

Silverchair was pretty popular in the 90s (as stated) and I think they even played at Woodstock 99.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Crowded House and Savage Garden definitely had success in the U.S. with their milquetoast pop poo poo. Divinyls may've not 'broken through' the way they wanted, but 'Touch Myself' definitely had a bit of staying power. And yeah as mentioned, Silverchair did great in the 90's but they were a bit of a one-hit wonder.

Captain Blueballs
Aug 3, 2007
You magnificent bastard

Rose tattoo. The Chiorboys maybe. Doug Anthony All stars for the humor of it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Angry Anderson turned out to be a Muslim-hating Tony-Abbott-loving "gently caress Off, We're Full" rear end in a top hat who ran for a seat in the federal election as a member of the National Party. He seemed to soften his opinions of refugees after appearing on the SBS TV show "Go Back To Where You Came From" and visiting Afghanistan and seeing the conditions that refugees are fleeing from but he later ran for a NSW senate seat as a member of the Australian Liberty Alliance, an anti-Muslim party. He's a oval office.

Captain Blueballs
Aug 3, 2007
You magnificent bastard

I'm not saying he's not a oval office. Just that Rose tattoo may have gotten some traction overseas. Angry was one of those pricks that was always popping up in the 80's and 90's.

For more recent guys I know that Karnivool have been getting some traction in the US And 12 foot Ninja have some niche fans out that way too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

5er posted:

Crowded House and Savage Garden definitely had success in the U.S. with their milquetoast pop poo poo. Divinyls may've not 'broken through' the way they wanted, but 'Touch Myself' definitely had a bit of staying power. And yeah as mentioned, Silverchair did great in the 90's but they were a bit of a one-hit wonder.

Yeah, frogstomp was so good and then Diorama was just so boring.

Like watching a band grow up and get an office job over 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Outrail posted:

Yeah, frogstomp was so good and then Diorama was just so boring.

Like watching a band grow up and get an office job over 6 years.

Frogstomp was a great collection of b-sides from the mashup Pearl Jam and Nirvana did.

Freakshow was an OK album for Helmet, now I think about it.