Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

SirSamVimes posted:

love to have someone say in lobby "sorry guys i'm gonna feed, i'm deranking" and not take smite as jungle

first time I've intentionally dodged but I'm salty that I had to throw away LP because some rear end in a top hat wanted to grief the game so he could game the MMR system

Aren't you able to report a guy in champ select? Did you do that before dodging? I've so rarely played soloqueue in the past few years that I've never done it before but I swore they added that and notify you if it went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I reported him and his duo buddy for griefing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Riot: We don't like the idea of a hyper scale support so we are committed to loving up everything that appeals about Sona until no one plays her

Also Riot: Ok, what if we made a support whose passive gave them thousands of gold of free stats and scales infinitely as long as you keep grinding it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
After realizing that 150+ champions was unbalanceable, Riot decide to lean into it and just start releasing intentionally broken champs and reworks.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
can we at least wait until the next time a champ is released or reworked to have this conversation a 300th time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sona update is currently in testing with its changes outlined and they stated their objectives for it. Maybe she turns out great after these changes, but I feel like the design approach they've laid out is both at odds with why someone picks Sona but also with their own design work.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Monicro posted:

can we at least wait until the next time a champ is released or reworked to have this conversation a 300th time

nice troll but maybe dont post this in the same year that riot released a champion as broken as udyr, and extra lmao when you consider how busted the other new champ, nocturne has been

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Monicro posted:

hmm a good request BUT the target of hatred in this case is senna and thus i will allow it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like senna. I also like Sona. I like all supports.

Well except Tall Sona, shes a war criminal.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why I like Sona
shotgun
mindless qweqweqwe R qweqweqe

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Akshan has had two micropatches to be buff him now because he's functionally useless. I don't blame you for forgetting he was released though because no one wants him on their team.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shockingly when you dedicate a whole bunch of your champion's power budget to a revive passive the rest of him has to be kinda poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, his purpose is to bring your team's win condition back to life so they can end up re-engaging before the teamfight is over. The only other thing that's a bit busted about him is his movement ability being a pretty great GTFO button while also being able to be used while he's channeling his ult.

I bet if you gave Riot five years ago Akshan's kit as an idea they'd ask you where you got the drugs you're on. None of it makes sense if you strip away the context of the last few years of League's nightmarish balance and overtuned champions with half a dozen passives and hyperscaling.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
You can bodyblock his grappling hook, I think that's something people are just going to learn, and his ult is so easy to block as is. Not even just other champions, minions and towers will take hits for you.

His kit makes sense as a cleanup crew and he needs all this junk because you know what's better than bringing back your teammates? Not having them die in the first place. He's so hyper-specifically designed around jumping in half through the fight and cleaning up that he has to have something to justify the fact his team is always going to start off a fight losing.

Maybe they just shouldn't have made a character solely focused on cleaning up fights but they're 150 characters in I guess they're squeezing blood from stone.

Veev fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 29, 2021

fnox
May 19, 2013

Veev posted:

Akshan has had two micropatches to be buff him now because he's functionally useless. I don't blame you for forgetting he was released though because no one wants him on their team.

He's the only champion since Aphelios where I can't understand how his kit is meant to work by looking at it. The ult did so little damage at first glance I thought it was his E. And the boomerang working exactly the opposite way of Gnar's also confused me.

On paper he seems like the most broken champion in the game. The ability to deny death timers allows for gigantic momentum shifts.

Coca Koala posted:

Is there somebody who does high-level VOD reviews along the lines of Dekar173, but without the random asides of calling his opponent a bitch rear end oval office whore?

Because this guy's videos are super interesting, he'll talk a lot about the thought process behind why he's managing the lane a specific way or how the game state elsewhere on the map is impacting the decisions he's making and the effect those decisions have on the game as it progresses, and then he'll just randomly drop some obscene slurs for no apparent reason and it's always incredibly :stare:

I'm not looking for rengar-specific vods, or even top-lane specific vods, just content that cogently explains why the player is doing what they're doing and how they're making their decisions instead of the basic "Now here we want to freeze because it's going to deny the opponent gold"

There's actually a fair bit of that content available for free. I do know a coach named Phylaris who does amazing jungle VOD reviews for fairly cheap if you want to get some actionable stuff in terms of your own VODs. Otherwise, if you just wanna see commentary, Virkayu, NEACE and Skill-Capped all have edited VOD reviews, and I think they all have full match commentaries as well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Maybe they just shouldn't have made a character solely focused on cleaning up fights but they're 150 characters in I guess they're squeezing blood from stone.

I dont like this excuse because there's still a lot that's been done in MOBA's that Riot has yet to adapt to League, they're limited by their imagination and vision of what the meta should be more than anything

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, his purpose is to bring your team's win condition back to life so they can end up re-engaging before the teamfight is over. The only other thing that's a bit busted about him is his movement ability being a pretty great GTFO button while also being able to be used while he's channeling his ult.

I bet if you gave Riot five years ago Akshan's kit as an idea they'd ask you where you got the drugs you're on. None of it makes sense if you strip away the context of the last few years of League's nightmarish balance and overtuned champions with half a dozen passives and hyperscaling.

I hate to single out one person for something I see a lot but I really dislike the conflating of (alleged) complexity with balance that people love to do; even if you accept that champs are way more complicated than they used to be (which I don't really think is true, but thats another story), there's this idea that gets thrown around all the time and usually goes unchallenged that there's insane power creep with new champions because they have a million passives and tools or whatever but, I really don't think that's true? They've been pretty strong across the board but not like insanely so outside of a handful of patches, and as rabidsquid said some of the best champs this season are literally over a decade old and if the power creep argument is true they shouldn't even be functional, let alone actively significantly better than almost all of them

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Samira is the one that I keep coming back to whenever I think about this because riot was literally like "none of our data indicates that she's overpowered at all, but players very strongly think she is so we'll make some changes to her". Is that a flaw in her design? Maybe (certainly being unfun to play against is a flaw and thats what it seems to indicate), but the fact that so many people thought she was overpowered based entirely on vibes definitely gives me pause when people talk about the new broken kit in the game

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Monicro posted:

Samira is the one that I keep coming back to whenever I think about this because riot was literally like "none of our data indicates that she's overpowered at all, but players very strongly think she is so we'll make some changes to her". Is that a flaw in her design? Maybe (certainly being unfun to play against is a flaw and thats what it seems to indicate), but the fact that so many people thought she was overpowered based entirely on vibes definitely gives me pause when people talk about the new broken kit in the game

This was a classic example though of Riot being stubborn and not fixing the real problem. They hit literally everything before they finally touched the fact that she applied aoe life steal at 100%. Then when people still wouldn't stop banning her they hit her passive pretty severely

It had really strong "Akali true stealth making you invisible under towers" vibes

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think complexity is inherently bad but I do think it can be a sign of their designers rubbing up against self-imposed constraints, when they cant make a new unique hero from a grab bag of 4 basic skill effects, so they pile on more.

The fact that old basic heroes are really big is a testament to how focused and useful their skillset is, whereas 3/5ths of Akshan's kit feels like it's dabbling in other skills & skill effects to hopefully carry "he can swing" and "he might revive".

He should really have been sent back to the drawing board until they could decide on what they actually want him to do; revenge support who hunts down enemies that kill allies? Ultra-high risk/reward assassin who can revive an ally if he gets his combo off? Spider-man? Right now he's a mid lane assassin carry kiter working towards a support effect, and he's bad and noncommittal at most of that.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 29, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

His grappling ability is super fun though, I'll give them that. They really should have leaned more into that sorta swashbuckling grappling character concept imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like kits where all the pieces work together which is why Darius is an eternal slab of enemy team obliteration

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the revive effect came out of nowhere and seems to only exist so he can parallel viego

strong bird
May 12, 2009

theyre making champs based off existing lore instead of altering lore to make room for champs theyve designed so theyre fully huffing their own farts, making office ladies huff them, flicking each others balls etc

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I'm just assuming that every champ in the year of ruination or whatever is gonna suck rear end because they want to shoehorn in weird gimmicks that are tied to the lore of their upcoming hit game The Ruined King

I can't wait to see what kind of hosed up stuff Vex will have

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

riot has been on an eternal quest to make high skill champions that people can main and climb with, but their game is not really designed in such a way that that can be effective (at least unless they were to stop balancing around both bronze and pro play.) they've been trying to put all these tiny passives on champions to give players more ways to excel with them and in most cases it doesn't really feel meaningful. works out okay for mid/top melee AD carries because they're mostly not present in competitive metas and that greatly simplifies things for them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

strong bird posted:

theyre making champs based off existing lore instead of altering lore to make room for champs theyve designed so theyre fully huffing their own farts, making office ladies huff them, flicking each others balls etc

I'm not sure why making champions based on lore they already made is a problem?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Veev posted:

there's nothing inherently wrong about it, Bloodseeker works fine, but in the context of how lol is played, "guy who waits around until everyone is half health" doesnt work

Radical posted:

riot has been on an eternal quest to make high skill champions that people can main and climb with, but their game is not really designed in such a way that that can be effective (at least unless they were to stop balancing around both bronze and pro play.) they've been trying to put all these tiny passives on champions to give players more ways to excel with them and in most cases it doesn't really feel meaningful. works out okay for mid/top melee AD carries because they're mostly not present in competitive metas and that greatly simplifies things for them.

Back in my day, passives were hidden power and thus bad. if riot from 10 years ago saw riot today they'd be shocked.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I'm not sure why making champions based on lore they already made is a problem?

cause it leads to dumb bullshit like rakshan having to fit in to the Sential Of Light gimmick and his own wack rear end story that no one ever knew about. he has to have a spell like lucian (R), he has to have a spell like senna (W? invis spell) (who before him had to have a spell like lucian (Q)) and he has to have some revive mechanic cause the Lore demands it. its a piss poor way of designing what is meant to be a competitive game of skill

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Super Librarian posted:

I'm just assuming that every champ in the year of ruination or whatever is gonna suck rear end because they want to shoehorn in weird gimmicks that are tied to the lore of their upcoming hit game The Ruined King

I can't wait to see what kind of hosed up stuff Vex will have

I'm REALLY hoping her ult is just "stops mobility abilities globally for 7 seconds" or something hilarious like that. Just a big gently caress you to like 80% of champs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

strong bird posted:

cause it leads to dumb bullshit like rakshan having to fit in to the Sential Of Light gimmick and his own wack rear end story that no one ever knew about. he has to have a spell like lucian (R), he has to have a spell like senna (W? invis spell) (who before him had to have a spell like lucian (Q)) and he has to have some revive mechanic cause the Lore demands it. its a piss poor way of designing what is meant to be a competitive game of skill

I mean the revive is new lore, he didn't have to have a revive because of lore. That's an almost entirely gameplay decision.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
one idea i had is that if a character dies, they can spend gold to purchase them back to life.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
A champion who has no death timer if they can refrain from typing "jung dif" following each death

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Radical posted:

other than jayce melee tops have been almost exclusively played in competitive forever and this season in particular has had the highest rate of melee mids and tops in competitive

in fact ziggs adc has been the only ap in a lot of comps this season

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kazinsal posted:

I'm REALLY hoping her ult is just "stops mobility abilities globally for 7 seconds" or something hilarious like that. Just a big gently caress you to like 80% of champs.

i hope her ult is stun champions without a mobility skill for seven seconds

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rabidsquid posted:

other than jayce melee tops have been almost exclusively played in competitive forever and this season in particular has had the highest rate of melee mids and tops in competitive

No Kennen or Gnar?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kazinsal posted:

Bio break: stuns all enemy and friendly players including yourself for 45 seconds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

piL posted:

Bio break: stuns all enemy and friendly players including yourself for 45 seconds.

Tenacity reductions gonna become really important

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

piL posted:

skarner tax but for both teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When the new champ Synergeos The Corporate uses their ult, all players must play a match of Valorant against each other. The losing team gets aced when they return to summoners rift.

Players who don't have valorant installed are treated as AFK and their honor is reduced accordingly