Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Do protestants have a canon? I thought that was half the point.
Depends which flavour, I think. & what you mean by "canon", I guess even the zaniest ones would probably start huffing & puffing if you started bringing up like the 6th & 7th books of Moses or w/e. Anglicans definitely do (& are also technically Catholic).

btw since someone mentioned Revelations, here's an interesting fact I read the other day: turns out that the beast of revelation is obviously & deliberately supposed to be Nero ("666" & "616" are just transliterations of two different spellings of "Nero" in Hebrew numerology, for example). Turns out people have been interpreting Revelations to be about their least favourite politicians since literally before it was written.

e: similarly, "257" could be transliterated as "pqzo", which is *checks notes* a good word in scrabble complete gibberish

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

josh04 posted:

I bought "The Pursuit of the Millenium" during second lockdown thinking its tales of hardy peasants driven to distraction by biblical apocrypha would be an amusing diversion, but all the stories about crackpot monks using natural-disaster-x to whip up a murder mob quickly became depressingly real and I had to stop.

Hence why when you want middle ages pandemic reading, its best to just stick to The Decameron, and snigger at how 'horny' and toilet humour has been a staple of human culture for centuries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

btw since someone mentioned Revelations, here's an interesting fact I read the other day: turns out that the beast of revelation is obviously & deliberately supposed to be Nero ("666" & "616" are just transliterations of two different spellings of "Nero" in Hebrew numerology, for example). Turns out people have been interpreting Revelations to be about their least favourite politicians since literally before it was written.
Yes, the bit that the early Catholics got right is that if you translated Revelation into vernacular without context you'd get mass conspiracy cults. The bit they got wrong is that if you didn't then you still got conspiracy cults, but they were led by monks or friars or sometimes whole branches of the Church itself.

Because Revelation is a conspiracy zine. That's not even an r/atheist take, tonally it has nothing to do with, say, the Acts of the Apostles or the various Letters or the Gospels themselves, even the Early Church was saying "wait why are we tacking this at the end" and it may just have been simple misattribution as to who even wrote it that let it stay in there.

(The 'canon' for most Evangelical Protestants would be KJV, word for word, everything else is heresy, no don't ask why bi king had a more faithful translation than the original scrolls, but by the time you're adding 5,000 word 'statements of faith' on top of that, you're definitely making a new canon.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the emphasis on the personal relationship with god is pretty inherently anti canonical, in that you can just claim that you are doing it right because god is talking to you and everyone else is betraying the revolution doing a heresy.

Like yes there is A Book but there seems to be a lot of emphasis on personal interpretation (or finding someone else's you agree with) of the text as being the real point.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 29, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But they are a social order club as much as anything else, so if you keep iterating away from their statements of faith that definitely aren't creeds and their declared interpretations that definitely aren't canons then you end up with Quakers and Unitarians.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
and the lord said: get in the robot, jesus

and jesus said: actually its not a robot

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, the bit that the early Catholics got right is that if you translated Revelation into vernacular without context you'd get mass conspiracy cults. The bit they got wrong is that if you didn't then you still got conspiracy cults, but they were led by monks or friars or sometimes whole branches of the Church itself.

Because Revelation is a conspiracy zine. That's not even an r/atheist take, tonally it has nothing to do with, say, the Acts of the Apostles or the various Letters or the Gospels themselves, even the Early Church was saying "wait why are we tacking this at the end" and it may just have been simple misattribution as to who even wrote it that let it stay in there.

(The 'canon' for most Evangelical Protestants would be KJV, word for word, everything else is heresy, no don't ask why bi king had a more faithful translation than the original scrolls, but by the time you're adding 5,000 word 'statements of faith' on top of that, you're definitely making a new canon.)
Acts & the epistles are also Jesus & Friends Extended Universe :colbert:

& Paul can definitely get to gently caress.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Borrovan posted:

Acts & the epistles are also Jesus & Friends Extended Universe :colbert:

& Paul can definitely get to gently caress.

Nobody *actually* dies, just like the MCU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a big difference between "Early Church is so cool and did it right and here's a bunch of their letters I condensed for reference with the bits I think they did right, so cool" and Revelation, which was more like "Loompanics presents a rare collaboration between William Blake and William S Burroughs" with slightly less dongs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's a big difference between "Early Church is so cool and did it right and here's a bunch of their letters I condensed for reference with the bits I think they did right, so cool" and Revelation, which was more like "Loompanics presents a rare collaboration between William Blake and William S Burroughs" with slightly less dongs.

But Paul and his letters can still get to gently caress. 'Oh I never actually met the dude but I happened to see him in a burning bush one day and he told me to do his will so I'm divinely inspired now, no I can't show you the burning bush sorry, btw gay people are bad now, women should submit and slaves should like it, Jesus told me so even though none of that is in the Gospels'.

Very much a sharp 1st century Roman politician/church leader with all the biases of his time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Paul a dick, but our interpretations of what he even meant by "gay people are bad" is subject to our own biases, not just now but in the 1950s, in the 1890s, in the 16th century, etc. which is probably more interesting than what his contemporary understanding of whatever he was talking about was.

Each one of the politicians/church leaders who perpetuated that rather than just consigning it along with niche views about figs bears a share of the blame for that, and it mostly now seems to come up in the context of
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1050391663552671744

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's an American-made TV series that dramatizes Acts of the Apostles and adds a bunch of politics stuff with the Romans and suchlike, and it is actually very good despite being a followup to the very boring 'The Bible' miniseries. It's hard to find now because they recut it as a movie for Easter a couple of years ago. It's called 'AD: The Bible Continues' or 'AD: Kingdom and Empire' and if you can get past the very earnest literal interpretations of things like the visitation of the Holy Spirit, it's pretty great with a stellar cast and some good, complicated looks at the tensions of first century Judea. And I mention it because their version of Paul is amazing. He's an awful obnoxious dickhead who's certain he's right all the time, and that doesn't change when he converts. There's a strong implication that he gets sent off to preach in distant lands because he was driving everybody insane.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

HopperUK posted:

He's an awful obnoxious dickhead who's certain he's right all the time, and that doesn't change when he converts. There's a strong implication that he gets sent off to preach in distant lands because he was driving everybody insane.
I was chatting about Paul with a (queer female) vicar friend of mine a few years ago, and this is literally her defence of him. He was a massive dickhead, but good at being a massive dickhead, so he was the right person for the job or some such.

Also that people tend to ignore the context of exactly who the letters were addressed to, when he's telling people not to eat with sinners or w/e he's not telling people in general but some specific people who he thinks are too stupid to understand what Jesus was getting at.

I disagree because even once you strip out the disputed letters, and the ones that have been taken out of context, he's still a colossal prick & can barely open his mouth without contradicting Jesus.

feedmegin posted:

'Oh I never actually met the dude but I happened to see him in a burning bush one day and he told me to do his will so I'm divinely inspired now, no I can't show you the burning bush sorry, btw gay people are bad now, women should submit and slaves should like it, Jesus told me so even though none of that is in the Gospels'.
"Also he totally said I should be in charge now, you've just got to take my word for it but God said so so you'd better all do what I say"

(btw Guava yeah obviously it's not on the same level as Revelation, which I'd tend to file along with all the medieval fanfiction rather than JFEU, I just can't pass up the opportunity to bitch about Paul when halfway relevant)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

and the lord said: get in the robot, jesus

and jesus said: actually its not a robot
Pilot the EVA Paul, or Jesus will have to do it again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

(btw Guava yeah obviously it's not on the same level as Revelation, which I'd tend to file along with all the medieval fanfiction rather than JFEU, I just can't pass up the opportunity to bitch about Paul when halfway relevant)
If we have to keep Revelation, I'd propose changing 13:16-17 to "16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a new thing that I don't like, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the new thing that I don't like, which is of the beast" so that at least the past 80 years of "the vaccine/contactless payment/photo driving licence/RFID/barcodes/PAYE/metric system is the new thing that I don't like!" would be a bit more honest.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Guys how do I watch Time Team on a television in 2021.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is it not on every day on Channel 4 at 3pm so I can watch that instead of going to my actual archaeology lectures anymore?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Szmitten posted:

I think its freely available on All4

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Look here Baldrick, we found a little bit of clay pottery here, look you can just about see it here in my hand. we can extrapolate from that we had a roaring town of people living like old times people! Cue the artist renditions or people dressed up as them."

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Baldrick looks up from a hand-dug pit with an ancient series of small walls in them.

"This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Borrovan posted:

Anglicans definitely do (& are also technically Catholic).

Hm wait, what? :raise:

If I were to ask the pope if the Church of England is Catholic, would he say yes?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

happyhippy posted:

"Look here Baldrick, we found a little bit of clay pottery here, look you can just about see it here in my hand. we can extrapolate from that we had a roaring town of people living like old times people! Cue the artist renditions or people dressed up as them."

Visiting ruins in Central America had that feeling at times. I had a Mexican student ID so got free/heavily discounted entry to ruins. This meant instead of just going to the big ones like Chichen Itza and Tulum I went to a few where there was a field with a couple of stones that had been excavated. Nothing else visible other than the display board that had an artist's rendition of a temple and a few paragraphs about it. Absolutely baffling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

If I were to ask the pope if the Church of England is Catholic, would he say yes?
The current one? Maybe.

The whole point of Anglicans is that they are one holy, catholic and apostolic Church regardless of whether he says so or not though.

And that's without getting into Oxford Movement and Anglo-Catholicism, which is basically identical but with different bishops which occasionally became the same bishops.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sad Panda posted:

Visiting ruins in Central America had that feeling at times. I had a Mexican student ID so got free/heavily discounted entry to ruins. This meant instead of just going to the big ones like Chichen Itza and Tulum I went to a few where there was a field with a couple of stones that had been excavated. Nothing else visible other than the display board that had an artist's rendition of a temple and a few paragraphs about it. Absolutely baffling.

I was joking about how the show usually goes. But there are ways to show there was a building, or buildings there, just by examining the ground scans or whatnot.
Usually they get the intern to walk over the place with that scanner that they have to poke into the ground every few feet at the start.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pottery and coins also tell you that the community was thriving enough to have good ovens and/or trade

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Szmitten posted:

I've actually just found that there's a Youtube channel by the producers behind Time Team that's uploading loads of episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TimeTeamClassics/

They're trying to get the series revived as well :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

A lot of the Mesoamerican and South American sites have to be covered up afterwards, or erosion would destroy them within decades. A lot of the bigger sites are probably going to be gone or collapsed in about 100 years just because of the elements. Even comparing them to photos of when they were first uncovered they've lost a shitload of detail.

This is exactly why Time Team can go gently caress themselves, because they insist on digging poo poo up for the cameras. My archaeology teacher at college had a passionate hatred for them because there is an astronomical amount of info you can get through non-invasive methods, and even if you do dig a trench or two you do it via careful layer-by-layer analysis -you don't loving give yourself 3 days and trash a site that someone else could do properly.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jaete posted:

Sure, check out this SCP about it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Was hoping it to be Cousin Johnny.
Now thats a real religon you can worship.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks to whoever posted about Too Good To Go btw, just had a succulent Chinese meal for 2 plus some other bits for the fridge for a total of £4, will definitely use again :)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ah I see you know your judo well!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Thanks to whoever posted about Too Good To Go btw, just had a succulent Chinese meal for 2 plus some other bits for the fridge for a total of £4, will definitely use again :)

This... is Brexocracy Manifest

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've watched Time Team on loop at lunchtime when available for over a decade but it's gradually disappeared.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it not on every day on Channel 4 at 3pm so I can watch that instead of going to my actual archaeology lectures anymore?

Channel 4 stopped showing and Yesterday was my backup but they also stopped.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think its freely available on All4

My understanding is it's only available on PC/browser and All4 services on TVs don't have the full selections.

EvilHawk posted:

I've actually just found that there's a Youtube channel by the producers behind Time Team that's uploading loads of episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TimeTeamClassics/

They're trying to get the series revived as well :)

I also saw this when it started a few months back and while I'd want everything and a more orderly selection (and Youtube via TV is awkward for me) it is kinda my only option.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Szmitten posted:

My understanding is it's only available on PC/browser and All4 services on TVs don't have the full selections.

Oh really, that's whacky, i play any tv stuff through a laptop hooked up to a big screen, i had no idea

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Couple things:

Twisto: RIP to Abby. I never had any pets growing up, but we were adopted (long story) by a cat back in November, and it's made me realise how powerful and melancholic the love for an animal can be. She looks really happy and full of character, and I'm sure you loved her as unconditionally as she did you.

Lockdown feels: I've been working from home for the past 5 years so my lockdown has been not so materially different day-to-day as my life before the pandemic. That said: went for a walk around town this last weekend, and I can tell already: I'll miss lockdown. I hate seeing the park filled with screaming yobs, instead of clean and serene. I hate the roads being jammed with cars, the shops and pubs and restaurants jammed with maskless staff-bothering mouthbreathers. It's been amazing, for me but especially for those with mobility issues or who are otherwise isolated, to have so many events provided both in person and livestreamed online. Lockdown ending has reminded me of all the things I hated about the pre-pandemic world 😆

Festivals and doing things: I'm writing this post from my parent's patio at their home in Canada, having flown out from Gatwick on Tuesday afternoon. It's been a very conflicting experience. On the one hand, I think us lifting the restrictions is a big mistake, and I wouldn't be surprised if in two weeks time I'm flying back to news of a new lockdown. On the other hand: as we DID raise the restrictions, and I have faith in myself to be incredibly cautious during all stages of this thing: I weighed my options and decided to come. I've not seen my family for nearly three years, and after following all of the rules to the letter if not moreso from 2020 to now: when I saw all those people at Wembley during the Euros, acting like we cured the drat thing, I thought, sod it. My home town has 14 cases currently out of 250000 people, so the big risk is me being patient 0 for bringing delta over. But I must say, the prohibitive price of the extra testing, plus the fact that it is required in the first place both on departure and arrival, made me feel confident in my decision. And I'm thrilled that I did it to be honest. Yes, it is not the flu. Yes, it is more deadly and more transmissible. Yes, it's not just my own safety that I'm risking. But we know enough about the thing at this point that if we exercise extreme caution, we can still do the things we need to do for our own sanity, without fear.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So how’s Brexit going?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There will be adequate food. Shortages yes but still adequate!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gatts posted:

So how’s Brexit going?

It got done.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

There will be adequate food. Shortages yes but still adequate!

Don't worry, that's not (just) due to Brexit, it's also to do with global mishandling of the pandemic, the UK governments mishandling of the pandemic and decades of undermining agricultural and industrial resilience.

So really a lot of it would be happening anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Gatts posted:

So how’s Brexit going?

They want to renegotiate it.

stev posted:

It got done.

Brexit will never be done. It is politically important that it never gets done.