Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cozmosis posted:

Any ID4 owners here? Have driven it twice and really like it (it’s not fast at all, but smooth, super roomy and very maneuverable), but it appears to lease like poo poo and I’m not willing to take the risk of buying one given the unproven resale. Lease rates are around $600/mo for a 36/10 and residuals are under 50%. I feel like VW is underselling that - dunno. It feels hard to want to jump at that, though, when I can buy another better resale brand and flip it in a few years for significantly less money out in the long run and not have to deal with the first model year bugs. And yet I really want an EV. Nothing else is really an option right now (Tesla long wait for Y, even worse with a Mach E), so would be going ICE if I skip the ID4.

I feel like if it wasn’t such a lovely car market these would be leasing for $150 less a month, and would go for it then, but no such luck right now.

If you want to lease now, then get something that leases well and revisit it when the lease is up. That's the beauty of it is you have options and indeed that is what you are paying for. EVs are only going to keep getting better in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cozmosis posted:

Any ID4 owners here? Have driven it twice and really like it (it’s not fast at all, but smooth, super roomy and very maneuverable), but it appears to lease like poo poo and I’m not willing to take the risk of buying one given the unproven resale. Lease rates are around $600/mo for a 36/10 and residuals are under 50%. I feel like VW is underselling that - dunno. It feels hard to want to jump at that, though, when I can buy another better resale brand and flip it in a few years for significantly less money out in the long run and not have to deal with the first model year bugs. And yet I really want an EV. Nothing else is really an option right now (Tesla long wait for Y, even worse with a Mach E), so would be going ICE if I skip the ID4.

I feel like if it wasn’t such a lovely car market these would be leasing for $150 less a month, and would go for it then, but no such luck right now.

I saw that the Polestar 2 can be leased for $475 a month if you qualify and take delivery by Aug 1.

https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-2/

Not sure if there’s a catch but that seems like a pretty good deal considering it sells for $20k more than the ID4.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mattfl posted:

Just out of curiosity when did you order?

edit: and how accurate was the EDD on the website to when you got a VIN?

I ordered on 5/15 and finished all the profile stuff on 5/16. The EDD was completely inaccurate, and I assume mostly used as a “stop asking us when your car is coming” measure. I got the car on 7/27, and the date only became accurate on 7/26.

Because I am a :eng101: nerd, I made a chart of my estimated delivery as compared to the time since ordering:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

What about Ioniq 5s?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I ordered on 5/15 and finished all the profile stuff on 5/16. The EDD was completely inaccurate, and I assume mostly used as a “stop asking us when your car is coming” measure. I got the car on 7/27, and the date only became accurate on 7/26.

Because I am a :eng101: nerd, I made a chart of my estimated delivery as compared to the time since ordering:

Thanks for the info! I finished my profile on 6/29 and went in fully expecting a 2 month wait.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bird with big dick posted:

Mustang Mach-e Raptor spotted, note longer/wider wheelbase and increased ground clearance.

Lincoln?

https://twitter.com/fordauthority/status/1420446738075160579?s=21

Not that the platform couldn't be used for multiple cars.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A Navigator is an Expedition which is a 150

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
And an Expedition is an F-150 for which they already have an electric platform.

It’s probably the Mark E.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What would be the best equivalent for a 2019 bolt (small/hatchback)? I like my car just fine but the whole fire battery thing makes me feel like I should try for either an MRSP swap or a buyback. Ideally I'd like a 360 camera and adaptive cruise control. Oh yeah and I'm in the USA so the id.3 isn't an option.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duck and Cover posted:

What would be the best equivalent for a 2019 bolt (small/hatchback)? I like my car just fine but the whole fire battery thing makes me feel like I should try for either an MRSP swap or a buyback. Ideally I'd like a 360 camera and adaptive cruise control. Oh yeah and I'm in the USA so the id.3 isn't an option.

Honestly I think you have to settle for a bulkier vehicle unless you don't mind about half that range :( If you were in Canada I'd say the 2020+ Kia Soul. Am I forgetting something? Basically everything is CUVs now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the kona and niro are essentially small hatchbacks with CUV styling

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Actually yeah the Kona is only about an inch wider. Good car, arguable styling :P It is subject to the same recall though, lol. To give credit Hyundai started off replacing the battery backs instead of trying to do a software update. Niro is about 8 inches longer than the Bolt and 1.5 inches wider, if the wikipedia pages are correct.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hyundai has a REALLY good warranty I would note. Probably best in the industry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah the kona is loving dogshit ugly but thems the breaks

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the kona and niro are essentially small hatchbacks with CUV styling

Yeah I'd consider those or just a new Bolt. I'm probably going to try for a new Bolt as I suspect an MRSP swap is easier than a buyback. Alternatively I'm lazy and am very likely to just say gently caress it and wait for them to fix the battery.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah I'd consider those or just a new Bolt. I'm probably going to try for a new Bolt as I suspect an MRSP swap is easier than a buyback. Alternatively I'm lazy and am very likely to just say gently caress it and wait for them to fix the battery.

How much long range traveling do you do? All of the suggested ones have double the speed fast charging capabilities of the bolt. The bolt's 50kw DCFC capabilities are really it's main downside, aside from, you know, the fire thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got my hydrogen fuel card!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Stole this from Reddit.

The wifi-in-drive thing is good news for anyone who's not paying for premium connectivity.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much long range traveling do you do? All of the suggested ones have double the speed fast charging capabilities of the bolt. The bolt's 50kw DCFC capabilities are really it's main downside, aside from, you know, the fire thing.

None, so not a concern. It's good to know though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Stole this from Reddit.

The wifi-in-drive thing is good news for anyone who's not paying for premium connectivity.

What are the dimming improvements? I felt like my rental dimmed a bit too much.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Charles posted:

I think it’ll allows us to choose how much it dims the mirrors, and that’s very useful to owners who have tinted windows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think it’ll allows us to choose how much it dims the mirrors, and that’s very useful to owners who have tinted windows.

Ah that's great. The town I was in had awkward lighting I guess and I wanted to turn down that feature. Nice.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Charles posted:

Supposedly the ability to disable auto-dimming on mirrors (for Tesla models that support it).

Source (reddit thread)

This Engadet article also has a brief summary of the new features. I'm excited about the Car Wash mode.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I would prefer the ability to manually dim/undim the mirrors. The auto function sucks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PenisMonkey posted:

I would prefer the ability to manually dim/undim the mirrors. The auto function sucks.

I never had a problem with the Gentex ones, even with tinted windows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
My problem is they undim at 6am when it’s still dark out and the freak behind me has the brights on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

None, so not a concern. It's good to know though.

Oh, something you might want to consider as well, if you're a costco member, is they have an additional 1-3k off the Bolt EV on top of other manufacture and dealer deals.

https://www.costcoauto.com/save/

I bought my (hyundai Ionic) car through the costco program and the utter lack of haggling made it so much more of an enjoyable experience.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, something you might want to consider as well, if you're a costco member, is they have an additional 1-3k off the Bolt EV on top of other manufacture and dealer deals.

https://www.costcoauto.com/save/

I bought my (hyundai Ionic) car through the costco program and the utter lack of haggling made it so much more of an enjoyable experience.

I saw that but it ends soon and I'm not sure you can get deals when doing an MSRP swap. I'm waiting to see if someone in my state is successful before I call.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Ola posted:

What about Ioniq 5s?

I do have a reservation on them but it’s a long way off as well and could end up as expensive as a Tesla with no pricing released. Also it’s not being sold in my state so I’m not sure how they’ll handle that.

Polestar is super far from here so not an option either.

I just can’t get the ID out of my head but it feels like a dumb financial decision when I could buy a like, Outback and sell it in 2-3 years and be $8000 in the black over the ID when there’s something better out there for my interests in the EV world.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PenisMonkey posted:

My problem is they undim at 6am when it’s still dark out and the freak behind me has the brights on.

Yeah, it's only with the Tesla I found it not great. I guess they made their own or something?

Cozmosis posted:

I do have a reservation on them but it’s a long way off as well and could end up as expensive as a Tesla with no pricing released. Also it’s not being sold in my state so I’m not sure how they’ll handle that.

I just can’t get the ID out of my head but it feels like a dumb financial decision when I could buy a like, Outback and sell it in 2-3 years and be $8000 in the black over the ID when there’s something better out there for my interests in the EV world.

I thought Polestar will come to you? Somebody here had one for a test drive.

And if you're not killing yourself doing it, sometimes it's fun to spend some money and enjoy yourself. I'm just nervous about first year model issues, especially from a German brand, but I expect issues with Hyundai as well :P

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nikola Founder Trevor Milton Charged with Fraud

quote:

Nikola electric truck start-up founder Trevor Milton was arrested on Thursday morning after a federal grand jury indicted the executive on three counts of criminal fraud. Prosecutors allege that the 39-year-old billionaire devised a scheme to drive up the company's stock value while making false and misleading statements about the company's technology and development progress. The indictment claims that Milton targeted retail investors in an effort to encourage them to buy the stock, including those who had no prior experience in the market.

Prosecutors also allege that Milton promoted an exaggerated and false narrative about the Nikola One semi truck, which was unveiled back in 2016, which Milton claimed to be fully functional at the time. Additionally, the indictment alleges that the Nikola One prototype was, in fact, not finished at the time of the unveiling, and also did not feature gears or motors.

"Instead, for the purpose of the unveiling event, tablet computers or other computer screens were mounted into the areas where the screens for the infotainment would be, and the screens were set to display images created to have the appearance of infotainment screens, with speedometers, maps, and other information displayed," the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York said in a statement.

A parallel civil action was also filed by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission this week, which participated in the investigation along with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.

In the criminal indictment, the U.S. Attorney's Office claims that Milton that "made false claims regarding nearly all aspects of Nikola’s business" for a number of years, including those that concerned the Badger pickup. Prosecutors allege that he claimed that the Badger was made from the ground up with Nikola's technology and parts, when he knew that that wasn't true, and also that he falsely claimed that Nikola itself as a company was producing hydrogen fuel for use in vehicles. The indictment also alleges that he made false claims about battery development at Nikola, and that the company had binding orders for the trucks representing billions in revenue.

Glad to see the :redhammer: put the scammer in the slammer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That reminded me of that "Alpha Motor" that served up those fancy looking renders.
https://insideevs.com/news/505010/what-we-know-alpha-motor/
They just "unveiled" a new product and said they're exhibiting a physical model next month in L.A... Hmm

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Let's not forget when Shamino was probed, in this thread, for saying Nikola was a scam.

Shamino posted:

Nikola has a warehouse with a pile of used Tesla batteries and a single peterbilt ev/hydrogen conversion. They have no factory and about 1/10th of the cash needed to start producing vehicles.
Their founder spends all day on Twitter/Instagram pretending to be a dollar store Elon Musk but with no charisma.

They will never release a vehicle. The whole thing was a pump and dump scam to inflate the values during a stock merger.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

McPhearson posted:

Let's not forget when Shamino was probed, in this thread, for saying Nikola was a scam.

I’m going to forget it and you can’t stop me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

I guess you simply need to try one and see if it's something you're willing to hurt a bit for.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

In the motorcycle world there’s something just like nikola called Damon Motorcycles. All they do is promise ridiculous specs with nothing to show for it, it really sucks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cozmosis posted:

That lease sounds expensive, I'd wait if you can or get something else.

I just looked on vw.com and they're estimating a lease starting at $379/mo over 3 years, so maybe you could point to that and ask where the difference is.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For reference that's more than an etron, not that you should get one of those.
https://www.audiqueens.com/audi-etron-lease-deals.htm

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Yeah the ID lease IS expensive, the listed deal is for a base Pro and 459 for a Pro S but doesn’t include any taxes and is 3k down. It also asks a dealer to discount the vehicle which very few are doing right now.

And believe me, I am beyond sad I missed the e-tron ~500/mo leases back in like March. Drove one and loved it but now you can’t get in one for under 700/mo.

Can always buy it but am afraid of the retained value on a 1st year VW EV. It really just comes down to do I want to pay more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I live in a 'condo' that is a 2 family house. The 'hoa' consists of my unit and the other one.

We've both been considering an electric car or plug in hybrid and wanted to figure out if we could get away with one charger, and if it would be possible to install one charger but swap it between the meters. Each unit has a meter, and there is a third meter for basement and the exterior lights. Just wondering if there's some way to wire it so you can change which meter the power flows through.