Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Drop bibles into china, suddenly millions dead because a dude proclaimed himself Jesus' brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

He was tried and convicted of stealing a poster, gave an apparently forced confession to stealing a poster, and his trial revolved around evidence that he stole a poster, including blurry footage of a shadowy figure stealing a poster. If he was actually doing Secret Squirrel poo poo for the CIA, why wouldn't they convict him of that, especially if there was evidence?

He confessed to stealing the poster for a Methodist church in Wyoming in exchange for a used car, and that he was also encouraged to do so by the Z Society. Warmbier's Jewish, the Z Society is historically Jewish, and I don't personally suspect a CIA-backed poster-stealing joint operation between a small-town church and a preppy college club. Warmbier's background suggests he had no incentive to pull a dangerous stunt for money.

This is on top of the fact that North Korea has a history of propaganda wherein Christian missionaries are portrayed as diabolical infiltrators, making the whole church connection extremely suspect. And, y'know, their history of doing things like kidnapping thousands of foreign citizens, and having a population that is literally born and dies in prison.

To me, the strongest evidence that he did steal the poster is the strangeness of the situation otherwise--I can't think of any salient political situation that would incentivize North Korea to gently caress with their tourism dollars by arresting an American on trumped-up charges. And everything I know about Warmbier suggests that he's the kind of student to which I take a personal dislike--and hell, if US intelligence has a presence at UVA, he's probably the kind of student they'd want to recruit. Nonetheless, I feel like rejoicing in a brutal prison sentence for stealing a poster was pretty heartless?

source ur quotes

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pictured here, the criminal Otto Warmbier, as he receives his well-deserved sentence of death for his violation of Juche Thought.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

papa horny michael posted:

"At the request of Warmbier's family, an autopsy was not performed, and only a postmortem external examination was conducted."

in twenty years we'll find out he was allergic to some common medicine

that was always the weirdest thing to me, simultaneously claiming we just KNOW those drat koreans killed him but also actively blocking any autopsy or investigation into it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Calling missionaries "Gargamels" is funny as hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
catch em in bed with a Gargamel

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

sexpig by night posted:

catch em in bed with a Gargamel

THEY’RE MAKIN THE FRIGGIN SMURFS GAY

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gargamel's whole thing was that he wanted to eat the Smurfs or something right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

he wanted to eat them and/or use them to make...immortality potion or something? I think he had an endgame bigger than just eating them but eating was involved, yea.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Gargamel wanted to turn them into gold, he's some kind of wizard and he specializes in a specific kind of alchemy. Smurfs into gold.

He might not be right in the head.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

We learn our stereotypes from the media we consume. I just kind of figured that's how all franco-belgians are. :shrug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

franconigerians, though, can't trust them

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heath posted:

I think he also created them in the first place? I think I heard somebody say that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He created Smurfette as a honeypot.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If he created them isn’t it only fair he gets to eat them?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

bobjr posted:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

bobjr posted:

I’d suggest you don’t have kids.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Hedenius posted:

I’d suggest you don’t have kids.

Now you’re gonna tell me that Saturn is a bad role model.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
as a scholar of deep Smurf lore let me inform you that at first Gargamel, as a Alchemist in training, merely wanted to extract the intrinsic essence of Smurf from the corpus of one of the little blue beasts in order to create the Philosopher's Stone but later on he just wanted to kill them all because they kept kicking his rear end.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

uber_stoat posted:

as a scholar of deep Smurf lore let me inform you that at first Gargamel, as a Alchemist in training, merely wanted to extract the intrinsic essence of Smurf from the corpus of one of the little blue beasts in order to create the Philosopher's Stone but later on he just wanted to kill them all because they kept kicking his rear end.

He looks pretty old to be a trainee

Guess he was not very good at it

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Now you’re gonna tell me that Saturn is a bad role model.

Naw.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

that's a really funny character arc actually, for a kid's media antagonist to go from weird vague plan to 'actually gently caress it, I'm going to kill them now' out of pure shame and anger from being beaten by loving Smurfs

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
(felix rap voice)
time to flex so i retract the scapula
rhymes so tight i got a mind like dracula

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, that guy was part of the regular cast of people raving about racist, sexist Bernie Bros while being incredibly unhinged and disgusting. I'm just going to assume Candice Aiston was hit by a bus; please don't correct me if I'm wrong.
That explains where I've seen the guy before. He's always in the replies of any Nina Turner-related story and he's always being normal as hell.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1420765335012012037

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I always enjoy an episode when Felix is getting angry at stupidity like this Woodstock ep. He tends to fire on all the funny cylinders when he is.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is Matt the tallest? I know Felix is ~6'2"

Wills status as the little guy is known however

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

when i met them matt was around my height and im 6'2 - 6'3, felix i think is more like 6'1

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
Didn't Behind the Music do a Woodstock 99 episode? I can't seem to find it, but I remember them interviewing some guy from prision who was rioting. I felt their take was better about how the issues were the $4 water and poor planning. The Ringer doc was pretty trash, but all of the footage was cool to see.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grew up in Upstate NY and the people who lived near the Woodstock revival events said it was like Olympics came to the mountains and ruined it for everyone within 50 miles. Just an absolute nightmare for everyone involved.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I watched the Woodstock 99 thing and didn’t walk away thinking that they were calling the attendees Capitol Hill Rioters or anything. The music promoter who blamed women for getting raped and Fred Durst for causing the riots was clearly the most villainous guy. The music journalists were annoying as gently caress though.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 30, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

I watched the Woodstock 99 thing and didn’t walk away thinking that they were calling the attendees Capitol Hill Rioters or anything. The music promoter who blamed women for getting raped and Fred Durst for causing the riots was clearly the most villainous guy. The music journalists were annoying as gently caress though.

They just don’t really go after the organizers at all in this and let them spit the most vile poo poo imaginable. I have to agree with Bryan, I wish there was more footage of the press conferences every morning because holy poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There is some wild Satanic Panic poo poo in that documentary, but let's not ignore the fact that Limp Bizkit is contemptibly awful music.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

There is some wild Satanic Panic poo poo in that documentary, but let's not ignore the fact that Limp Bizkit is contemptibly awful music.

It’s fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nu-metal critical reevaluation is my personal version of Marvel destroying cinema. I feel like I'm going insane any time I see somebody say Korn and Limp Bizkit were actually good.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They just don’t really go after the organizers at all in this and let them spit the most vile poo poo imaginable. I have to agree with Bryan, I wish there was more footage of the press conferences every morning because holy poo poo.

They definitely don’t talk about him to the extent that they talk about the attendees, that’s a fair point. I guess I didn’t really notice it because the people talking are so clearly moronic that I instinctively picked up my phone whenever they were on screen.

The own words of the promoter were so evil that it seemed like journalistic commentary wasn’t needed. But that’s probably giving those dum dums too much credit.

I agree the press conferences were great and more footage of those would have been cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn’t watch the documentary because it looked terrible but this episode is an all timer

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Great episode, but really could’ve been 30 minutes shorter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Idunno that they really need to "go after" a guy saying rape victims were asking for it and $4 is a reasonable price for water in a heat wave, other than let them talk on camera.