Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Ugly John posted:

Only at 2k points - you only need two battleline at 1k

That's more sensible then. It's still a really character-heavy box which is where my "put everything in it into the builder and wonder why it's illegal" confusion came from.

Either way I've got my first ever game of AOS this weekend so I'm eager to see how my stuff fares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hero-heavy is a thing this edition seems to want to do.

I’m all for it because heroes and monsters are cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-battletome-yet

Stormcast battletome preview article is up.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm glad the Stormkeep rules are still in the new battletome. Not sure about the new Staunch Defender but the other rules seem nice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What i am unclear on is if Stormkeep vs Scions is a subfaction thing or an allegiance thing that subfactions lay on top of.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm assuming its identical to the current version where you're basically choosing at army creation which of two special rules applies to your army.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm looking to turn the start collecting tzeentch box into a 1000 point army.

I'm planning to build the fateskimmer on chariot and then running the army under the eternal conflagration change coven and running the pink horrors and flamers as battleline.

I'm also planning on running the screamers which leaves me with 370 points left.

I know I want to run a second leader unit and I was originally thinking a magister because they're cheap. But maybe there's something better I should run I'm not sure.

For the points that are left I was thinking of running either a unit of tzaangors, a unit from beasts/STD or a behemoth from beats/STD.

Any suggestions?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I bought Dominion on something of a whim because the new Stormcast spoke to me. I'm thinking about a full trade with another local player to double up on the Stormcast half, and while I know this certainly wouldn't be a top tier choice is it a bad idea to the extent that I'll never use 2 of any of the units in the box? I know the bigger characters are probably in that group, but I don't mind a spare of those.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

okay first off I think you might be using old point values because you should have 330pts left.

being tzeentch is squishy so I feel like you need a) more casting and b) a unit that can take some hits. A Changcaster + Tzaangors is exactly 330pts. Magister + Tzeentch marked Warriors is 325.

Also keep in mind you also have an Exalted Flamer in the kit, but that leaves behind a bit of an awkward points value that's just over the threshold where you can take tzaangors.

Alternatively the Pink Horrors can be your tanky unit by grabbing two boxes of blue/brimstones. You should probably get these anyway.

If you wanna go with a behemoth option, the Sorceror on a Manticore is actually priced to move at 270pts and gets you another caster, but leaves you with a 60pt gap you can really only fill with an endless spell.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

parabolic posted:

I bought Dominion on something of a whim because the new Stormcast spoke to me. I'm thinking about a full trade with another local player to double up on the Stormcast half, and while I know this certainly wouldn't be a top tier choice is it a bad idea to the extent that I'll never use 2 of any of the units in the box? I know the bigger characters are probably in that group, but I don't mind a spare of those.

You literally can’t field two Yndrastas, but that’s the only unique unit you need to worry about.the other heroes you probably don’t strictly need two of, but having two of everything means added flexibility in listbuilding.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

okay first off I think you might be using old point values because you should have 330pts left.

being tzeentch is squishy so I feel like you need a) more casting and b) a unit that can take some hits. A Changcaster + Tzaangors is exactly 330pts. Magister + Tzeentch marked Warriors is 325.

Also keep in mind you also have an Exalted Flamer in the kit, but that leaves behind a bit of an awkward points value that's just over the threshold where you can take tzaangors.

Alternatively the Pink Horrors can be your tanky unit by grabbing two boxes of blue/brimstones. You should probably get these anyway.

If you wanna go with a behemoth option, the Sorceror on a Manticore is actually priced to move at 270pts and gets you another caster, but leaves you with a 60pt gap you can really only fill with an endless spell.

You're right about the points I just hosed up the count.

I will definitely get extra horrors when I start expanding but for now with this army I need the pink horrors alone to fill the required 2 battleline units. Unless I misunderstood how that works.

If I went for the StD sorcerer what would be a good endless spell to fill with? Honestly I think I want to avoid this option but it depends how good the new monster rules are and not having one is make or break.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm thinking of selling my old Tomb King's army and could use some advice:

A) Is there any demand for this stuff anymore?
B) If so, could anyone help me figure out how to price it? I poked around on ebay and there wasn't much on there, which either indicates it's rare or no one gives a poo poo about Tomb Kings anymore (if they ever did).

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
There is a large demand for old models still. I recently sold my Bretonnians and I got over £700 for it in the end, some pieces went for over £100. Mine was mostly unpainted so you probably wouldnt get quite that much but you will definitely find interested parties

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I sold some of my old High Elves stuff through a miniswap discord. There may be an increase in demand because of the eventual release of the Old World but that's years away.

Tomb Kings is out of print as far as I know, so that also might increase its value.

But basically: if it's in a blister you can probably sell it for its MSRP.
If it's assembled and unprimed, probably 80-90%
If it's primed 60-70%
And if it's painted, probably 40-50%.

If it's painted to a very high standard you can sometimes get more, but it depends.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Are Khorne a viable team at the moment? Seems like they did reasonably well in the 3.0 changes. I've got a few blood warriors and a blood secrator who I bought mainly for the fun of painting, but I'm now considering a larger picture for them so that I can get them into an army potentially in the future.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've seen some tomb king armies sell on Facebook buy swap sell groups. People play them in kings of war or simply like them a lot.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hm, figuring out MSRP is gonna be tricky since they're OOP.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Class Warcraft posted:

B) If so, could anyone help me figure out how to price it? I poked around on ebay and there wasn't much on there, which either indicates it's rare or no one gives a poo poo about Tomb Kings anymore (if they ever did).

yes, there's a demand

if those are the plastic tomb guard in the back, those easily go on ebay for $10/model

congrats on your free money!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Lucinice posted:

You're right about the points I just hosed up the count.

I will definitely get extra horrors when I start expanding but for now with this army I need the pink horrors alone to fill the required 2 battleline units. Unless I misunderstood how that works.

If I went for the StD sorcerer what would be a good endless spell to fill with? Honestly I think I want to avoid this option but it depends how good the new monster rules are and not having one is make or break.

horrors stay battlline as long as the unit starts with pinks, they can still split and stuff. Also you can use the blues, brimstones, and exalted flamer as summoned units.

monsters are heavily pushed and can get you (or cost you) extra victory points in the current battlepack.

as for endless spells I'm not sure. Chronomantic Cogs is a good one at 45pts but unless you can somehow snag one separately its part of an expensive boxed set. Never really had much experience with the tzeentch endless spells.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

if those are the plastic tomb guard in the back, those easily go on ebay for $10/model

holy poo poo

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

If you are very patient, those prices are going to go way up when The Old World releases... or not, it's still a gamble.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

horrors stay battlline as long as the unit starts with pinks, they can still split and stuff. Also you can use the blues, brimstones, and exalted flamer as summoned units.

monsters are heavily pushed and can get you (or cost you) extra victory points in the current battlepack.

as for endless spells I'm not sure. Chronomantic Cogs is a good one at 45pts but unless you can somehow snag one separately its part of an expensive boxed set. Never really had much experience with the tzeentch endless spells.

Well it's not going to be cheap getting the extra horrors anyway. I'll definitely consider that option now though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I mean its dancing around the idea that the correct answer to "what monster do I use in a Tzeentch army" is a Lord of Change but a Manticore is almost a third of the price and still quite good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At this point I’m unsure if anyone has actually figured out how good endless spells are in the new meta. With the new control and movement rules, I expect them to be surprisingly good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I have like 25-30 of the old metal tomb guard :10bux:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

At this point I’m unsure if anyone has actually figured out how good endless spells are in the new meta. With the new control and movement rules, I expect them to be surprisingly good.

All Endless Spells I have used have been quite useful with one exception. The exception was when I summoned the Purple Sun and got two turns of use out of it before the end of the game. But on three of those uses I rolled a one making it deal no damage, so I just very unlucky.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Done my test dudes and like them so it's on to batch painting the rest of dominion then play a game on Tuesday. Going to do the blades like the moonlight sword from bloodborne but waiting on some colours.

E: got to say big props on the new stormcast armour it's so much better than the blocky boys. Couldn't help but go with the full metal.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

Are Khorne a viable team at the moment? Seems like they did reasonably well in the 3.0 changes. I've got a few blood warriors and a blood secrator who I bought mainly for the fun of painting, but I'm now considering a larger picture for them so that I can get them into an army potentially in the future.

Khorne are definitely viable, if a little rough around the edges.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

lol TKs are in extremely high demand. Do an ebay search on the unit name (i.e. warhammer ushabti) and then filter for "Sold Items." That will show you anything sold in the last 90 days (iirc) and give you an idea of what you should be charging. Items like ushabti, snake surfers, tomb guard, and warsphinxes go for a very good price. Skeletons do pretty well also. Chariots tend to be on the lower end, and horsemen can go either way. Sealed items will command a much higher price - I sold a box of sepulchral stalkers for $200 a few months ago.

Just remember a couple of things:
1) Buy It Now is your friend - auctions don't always go as well as you might hope.
2) If you price a bit high, you can always come down later - you can't reverse a sale if you price something too low.
3) Unless you're a pro, painted doesn't mean anything other than "I've got to strip this and repaint it" to most people, so don't expect to charge a premium for painted models.
4)If you sell the entire army at once, expect to make less than parting it out - the higher price will lock some people out, and the ones who can afford it don't necessarily need everything you're selling - in effect, they would be paying more to buy the units they do need, and then either having extra stuff, or having to sell the extras themselves. It's a fine line.

Finally, if you're not in a rush, get some good photos showing condition and wait until people start getting hyped for the Old World - you may be able to capitalize on that and make even more money. Good luck!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean its dancing around the idea that the correct answer to "what monster do I use in a Tzeentch army" is a Lord of Change but a Manticore is almost a third of the price and still quite good.

Yeah of course but for a 1k point army a lord of change would be way overkill. Maybe this shows I don't really need monsters for a 1k point game.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Talas posted:

If you are very patient, those prices are going to go way up when The Old World releases... or not, it's still a gamble.

i cracked open my vault of dwarf minis that i was never going to use (lots of old 6th ed metal minis, battle for skull pass sets, 7th ed plastics) and got MSRP for metal models that were heavily used and stripped of paint

if you have OOP models on the sprue, those are gold (ex. last i checked the 7th ed dwarf warriors are $80-$100/box still on the sprue). tbh, i'd sell everything now, especially bretonnia, which is bonkers and absolutely will be getting new sculpts in Old World

edit: personally, i'm keeping my old 2500 point 8th ed dwarf army for sentimental purposes and selling everything else off. bought a KO army with the funds and now have a funny money account

berzerkmonkey posted:

2) If you price a bit high, you can always come down later - you can't reverse a sale if you price something too low.

adding onto this, ebay even has a function now where if yout item goes unsold, you can toggle it to automatically relist the item for 5% less

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 30, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've gotta sell now because I just had a baby, and it turns out they are even more expensive than warhammer models, somehow.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Business Gorillas posted:

personally, i'm keeping my old 2500 point 8th ed dwarf army for sentimental purposes and selling everything else off
I have never played WHF but I love the old dwarfs so much that I scooped up a bunch of Skull Pass guys, miners, pony carts, and a gyrocopter. Those minis are 100% up my alley.

None of the AoS factions appeal to me in the same way. I like all of them to some degree, but there will always be an offputting design element like big topknots or something keeping me from committing. Yes I'm very superficial and picky.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Class Warcraft posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've gotta sell now because I just had a baby, and it turns out they are even more expensive than warhammer models, somehow.

Congrats on the sex

And the baby, I guess

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

quote:

You don’t have to give up all your subfaction’s battle traits, either – each of the three retains their best ability.

That's pretty cool, I don't think it was the case in the previous Big Waagh!

But they only mention even more new Kruleboyz units, nothing for the other Orruks and that's a bummer. I want to see some Ironjawz monsters that aren't mounts, even if it's just an unmounted Maw-Krusha or a herd of Gore-Gruntaz. Maybe some ranged units too (just have some big Orruks really into hurling big rocks at things) so I don't have to Big Waagh! just for the Kruleboyz units.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Class Warcraft posted:

The Necrosphinxes are very high demand, and I'm not 100% sure, but I feel the Casket of Souls should fetch a good amount too. Depending on how you decide to sell it (army or split), I would definitely recommend at least selling those units separate from the rest.

Edit: Hell, I'm tempted to pick em up, myself :shepspends:

Desfore fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 31, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm banging through these. Great models. Glad I went with an easy scheme for once I'm having a great time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Desfore posted:

The Necrosphinxes are very high demand, and I'm not 100% sure, but I feel the Casket of Souls should fetch a good amount too. Depending on how you decide to sell it (army or split), I would definitely recommend at least selling those units separate from the rest.

Edit: Hell, I'm tempted to pick em up, myself :shepspends:

If you do actually want it, let me know. I'd much rather sell to a goon at a fair price than deal with those doofuses on facebook.

knight of sloth at gmail dot com

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Class Warcraft posted:

If you do actually want it, let me know. I'd much rather sell to a goon at a fair price than deal with those doofuses on facebook.

knight of sloth at gmail dot com

Sent you an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Painted another Rockgut. The sculpts are so good.