Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Austin Power's sequels are poo poo aside from the joke where Michael Caine says he only hates two things:
People who are intolerant of other cultures and the Dutch.

Seem rather redundant to add the "and the Dutch" part to that sentence :geert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you really want to know how loving obsessed he is with it, after Chris Farley died and Dreamworks had to scrap all his voice work for Shrek (he had completed something like 90%) they hired Myers for the character. He originally used a different accent and recorded all the dialogue for it. Then he came back in and demanded to re-record everything with the Scottish accent, costing them another $5 million.

As I recall, he did it in the over the top Scottish voice. Then they had him re-do it completely straight. Then they had him re-do it in a lesser Scottish voice.

It was a cluster after Farley died. I don't remember where I read that. It might have been back when listservs were a thing. I used to be on the CGChar list so we'd always get inside scoops on what was happening in animation realtime.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

kupachek posted:

Myer's is Canadian, even his Prime Minister has gotten in on the brownface action a couple of times.

I dunno, I didn't even know about that movie until it was brought up here, so I have no idea what the cultural reaction was like when it came out.

Someone in the production team must have planted their feet because THANK GOD the Love Guru is not in brownface. He's a white orphan or something that got adopted.

But you can just feel that Meyers was gonna who whole hog on the racism before some executive threatened to pull funding.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm a sucker for Doctor Evil's monologue about his upbringing.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

BrigadierSensible posted:

My favourite joke in it will always be:
"Who does Number 2 work for?"
"That's right buddy, you show that turd who's boss!"
:itwaspoo:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best part is the one-line callback to it later in the film.

Also I just learned that the therapist is Carrie Fisher!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zero_Grade posted:

:itwaspoo:

The best part is the one-line callback to it later in the film.

Also I just learned that the therapist is Carrie Fisher!
Yeah, she's been in some super lovely movies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shrek's accent isn't quite entirely Scottish but apparently meant to be a mix of things.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Imagined posted:

In general I've always felt like "Take an uptempo song and do it at quarter speed and in a minor key (yes I know that SLTS is already in F Minor)" is the laziest, most overused form of cover song, and besides that, Tori Amos already did it 25 years ago with this exact song.

One exception:

https://youtu.be/ifBPdXWImL4

This is one of the OG throwbacks from a decade+ ago, what a pioneer

hellotoothpaste has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jul 29, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Extremely same. I was kind of dreading when it started when I rewatched because I thought it would be the kind of thing that had me cringe straight through my couch but nope, I was laughing my rear end off for the whole thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shrek's accent isn't quite entirely Scottish but apparently meant to be a mix of things.

Really? Sounds Scottish to me, though admittedly not *very* Scottish.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He can't be Scottish, I never once saw him batter and deep-fry an already-unhealthy takeaway food.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Memento posted:

He can't be Scottish, I never once saw him batter and deep-fry an already-unhealthy takeaway food.

Shrek seems to eat literal garbage so maybe he's been living in England for too long?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Myer's parents are from Liverpool so him repeatedly donning a Scottish accent instead of a Spouse accent is mysterious to me

Maybe Scouse is too obscure.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Maybe he hates his parents.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Inzombiac posted:

Someone in the production team must have planted their feet because THANK GOD the Love Guru is not in brownface. He's a white orphan or something that got adopted.

But you can just feel that Meyers was gonna who whole hog on the racism before some executive threatened to pull funding.

You say it's not in "brownface", but what else would you call the ludicrous beard, offensive accent, and bullshit head-wobbling schtick that he does?

Not to mention the ""Mariska Hargitay" hahaha that sounds foreign and funny, just like a currymuncher" would say joke?

I get what you are trying to say, insomuch as he wasn't wearing facepaint. But still, it was a thoroughly racist and minstrelly portrayal of Indians.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In modern(ish) movies where the theme is "family roadtrip" like Vacation and the thing I'm currently rewatching (I really don't know why, I hate it and I've seen it like 5 times), RV, it bugs me when a lot of the jokes are based on rented stuff not working right. Like in Vacation with the GPS thing starts yelling at them in Korean (or whatever it was). RV has similar jokes with "lola" the GPS voice. Also if Robin Williams was that bad at driving the RV,, how did he even get it to the house without any destruction? Was he just pretending to be bad and destroying his/his neighbor's property to make his family laugh? He also seems to be totally unaware of how RVs work at RV parks - wouldn't they give you a manual if you rented one of these things that covers the basics like emptying the sewage tank? And how many shots of the dumb ad on the side of the RV do we really need?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hellotoothpaste posted:

One exception:

https://youtu.be/ifBPdXWImL4

This is one of the OG throwbacks from a decade+ ago, what a pioneer

Just gonna go ahead and put out there that I did a slow sad remix of Baby One More Time earlier this year.

https://soundcloud.com/duskimpending/hit-me-remix

It's more gothic industrial than whatever Gary Jules' Mad World is but it still kinda fits the bill.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just gonna go ahead and put out there that I did a slow sad remix of Baby One More Time earlier this year.

https://soundcloud.com/duskimpending/hit-me-remix

It's more gothic industrial than whatever Gary Jules' Mad World is but it still kinda fits the bill.

lmao are those the drums from Clubbed to Death

anyway if we're posting tonal change remixes here's a thing i did 11 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vynbH2DUJ3o

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Jul 30, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's from this little tune you've probably never heard of, something about levees failing I dunno

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's from this little tune you've probably never heard of, something about levees failing I dunno

:doh:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

as far as opposite key/style covers go, im a big fan of the sweltering soviet version of star spangled banner
https://soundcloud.com/matzo/0tnh5ysdes5h

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

can people please stop yelling "hey" before bonking the killer on the head?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There’s a good one of these in The Abyss where Corporal Hicks is fighting John Glenn

https://youtu.be/qqFrHLjmyf0

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It does lead to some pretty decent scenes, but it just seems too...fair. Like this guy has stalked you all night trying to murder you/your family, just take the cheap shot when it's there. Don't give them the chance to deflect the blow with their hands or dodge it or whatever. Save your clever "time for you to cool off" zinger for after they're incapacitated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This is like a subset of the general "people saying things during an action scene which they wouldn't have time to say or that nobody would be able to hear" problem. Most one-liners fall into that category.

Movies do it all the time for the sake of the audience but it is super unrealistic.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Movie's not going to last very long if the protagonist makes sure to finish the job after momentarily knocking down the villain

"Haha, now I have the advantage! Anyway, see you around!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just jam a trilogy into a whole movie. The first one where the protagonist kills them is the first half hour, when they come back as a ghost or posessing someone that's the second half hour, then when you find out they had a child that also wants to kill you that's the end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone watched Caveat? A YouTuber I watch has been getting paid to talk Shudder and it sounded okay? It's on my list to check out the next time I spring for a month of the service but if it's unwatchable and bad I'll skip it

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Movie's not going to last very long if the protagonist makes sure to finish the job after momentarily knocking down the villain

I was watching a John Wayne movie... Big Jake? I think, where the bad guy acts like he's been shot and flops down, and Wayne starts shooting next to him before he flips over bitching about how he'd shoot a dead man. "To keep him from shooting me? Yes."

That always stuck with me and has hosed up the protagonist's reasoning in virtually every horror film I've watched.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Len posted:

Has anyone watched Caveat? A YouTuber I watch has been getting paid to talk Shudder and it sounded okay? It's on my list to check out the next time I spring for a month of the service but if it's unwatchable and bad I'll skip it

I haven't, but when I googled it it said a bunch of rambling stuff about "liminal spaces" it annoyed me enough to commit to watching it tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FFT posted:

Jeepers Creepers from 2001 was good for that, if not much else. The Plucky Teenaged Protags run into the Impervious Mad Slasher in their Impala, knocking him down. Then they back over him again. Then drive over him forward again. Then back over him again. Then one more time forward before making their escape.

Mad Slasher isn't dead, of course

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The problem there is they didn't check. You have to keep going until it's paste, and then make sure the paste doesn't start reassembling into something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What I would like to know about that movie is how the enormous leather-faced cannibal demon got a personalised license plate for his murdervan.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Are you suggesting that demons can't work for the DMV? :colbert:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Alright, time to go murd...BATEGNU? Oh goddammit.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Zaphod42 posted:

This is like a subset of the general "people saying things during an action scene which they wouldn't have time to say or that nobody would be able to hear" problem. Most one-liners fall into that category.

Reminding me of the opening action scene in Cobra to establish the titular character’s badassness: despite having the bad guy cornered at gunpoint, Detective Cobra puts his gun away. When the villain makes to shoot him, Cobra has the time to throw a switchblade into him, re-draw his gun, and shoot the guy five times. He has like three one-liners in this scene alone.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My favorite is every time the protagonists set up some sort of elaborate plan to get the drop on the villain which always involves shouting very loudly as they run at the villain seconds before making contact, giving them ample time to notice what’s happening and respond to it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFT posted:

Similarly in action movies where the opponents start with a gun, then the second it gets knocked away they both forget about them entirely and start fistfighting. I would just... keep trying to shoot them with the gun, ya know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exquisite tea posted:

Similarly in action movies where the opponents start with a gun, then the second it gets knocked away they both forget about them entirely and start fistfighting. I would just... keep trying to shoot them with the gun, ya know.

I do recall some fights with characters brutally fighting over a single gun. I'm sure at least one ends with it turning out to be empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Desperado has a good bit where two characters run around a room full of dead bad guys picking up their guns and trying to shoot each other out all the guns they grab are already out of bullets.