Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Using a nuke (may God have mercy on my soul) leaves a rather noticeable radioactive noise trail on the area I bombed :stare:

I had no choice, they were drawing near.

drat this game is atmospheric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I noticed the clock sometimes turns red in the prologue. Does anyone know why?

It seems to happen when docked in cities, or sometimes on approach to fighting at a city.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Spy_Guy posted:

I noticed the clock sometimes turns red in the prologue. Does anyone know why?

It seems to happen when docked in cities, or sometimes on approach to fighting at a city.

I think that means you're running the risk of your position being reported. Parking in liberated cities for too long will have that happen, and also entering the red area around a hostile city. If you stay in there for too long, you'll end up with strike groups being diverted to your location.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I think that means you're running the risk of your position being reported. Parking in liberated cities for too long will have that happen, and also entering the red area around a hostile city. If you stay in there for too long, you'll end up with strike groups being diverted to your location.

Uh oh. :ohdear:

Is that time until it's reported or showing me that I need to get out of dodge asap?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I was able to just brute force my way to the endgame with this rig

No need for a strike force when you can just wreck any enemy fleet and shoot down any missiles with 4xCIWS

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Spy_Guy posted:

Uh oh. :ohdear:

Is that time until it's reported or showing me that I need to get out of dodge asap?

Its how long the alert has been out. You've got no idea whats coming your way and when it will arrive without additional intel. The depends on where all the groups were, they do have to pathfind to you and refuel along the way

So it could be 72 hours, or you can have surprise incoming nukes after 4 hours if they were next door. Scouting and intel is important!

punishedkissinger posted:

I was able to just brute force my way to the endgame with this rig

No need for a strike force when you can just wreck any enemy fleet and shoot down any missiles with 4xCIWS

Did you name it "Brick"?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Did you name it "Brick"?

No but it certainly flies like one! Not once did I try to manually land it. Luckily it didn't take any damage that would necessitate that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

efb

Perestroika posted:

There's a tutorial for it that pops up at some point during the campaign. It's actually indicating that you've already been reported by an enemy. Strike groups are on their way toward your reported position, cargo fleets are adjusting their routes to avoid you, etc. Successfully sudden striking enemy groups should prevent it from turning red. Though yeah, cities will report you if you sit in them for too long too.

I suppose the reason it's on the clock is so that, if you're very clever, you might be able to estimate when enemy fleets will begin arriving at the little flag on the map indicating your reported location.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and now my mission will be to design some kind of armored interceptor that is fast enough to sudden strike cities but also not take enough damage to delay the fleet more than a couple hours. It seems difficult to refuel if you have a lot of capacity without being reported though. But then again that's the downside of a big fleet.

Also I highly suggest launching a nuke just so you can see the messages that happen when you do. They're awesome. Also you can still land at a nuked city and they'll sell you stuff, which is pretty funny considering there's zero chance they wouldn't know you did it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

and now my mission will be to design some kind of armored interceptor that is fast enough to sudden strike cities but also not take enough damage to delay the fleet more than a couple hours. It seems difficult to refuel if you have a lot of capacity without being reported though. But then again that's the downside of a big fleet.

I think the trick here might be to just have two or three and only repair them while you are refueling.

i really wish they broke down what the different radars do. what is the point of an FCS exactly? Cruise missile control?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you go to the supply shop and click somewhere on the map for buying fuel you might start buying ammo instead because the ammo is still clickable through the map despite not being revealed by perspective yet.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've really liked what I've played so far but two things seem to be bothering me.

The map when you're in combat just seems too...big. If I'm supposed to be aiming at specific parts of enemy ships then it's basically impossible because everyone is tiny.

The effects, even on low, are insane and I can barely see anything most of the time. I get that its atmospheric but it's also not particularly fun sometimes.

edit: the resolution stuff is also frustrating.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the game definitely needs a few patches to balance for better gameplay and pulling back on the insane effects. i do appreciate the blackout effects your guys get.

do enemies ever run out of fuel?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I mostly, really, just want to be able to see the damage I'm causing the enemies. Also this game is hard and I barely have any idea what I'm doing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sankis posted:

I mostly, really, just want to be able to see the damage I'm causing the enemies. Also this game is hard and I barely have any idea what I'm doing.

You can see the damage for the enemy you have targeted on the display in the bottom right of the screen. i do wish you could see better on the screen though. it would make for more engaging fights if you could realistically target systems.

current gen of my strike craft

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The ship works section is a blast just in itself because you can fire it up and make very goofy vehicles. The game should have a mode where you try to make the weirdest thing you can still land.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

The ship works section is a blast just in itself because you can fire it up and make very goofy vehicles. The game should have a mode where you try to make the weirdest thing you can still land.

Yeah there should definitely be a lander tester in the ship builder too, it would be funny.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Anyone else experience crashes in the ship editor trying to add a weapon? Usually the 4th weapon it CTD's.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the game definitely needs a few patches to balance for better gameplay and pulling back on the insane effects. i do appreciate the blackout effects your guys get.

do enemies ever run out of fuel?

They do lol. I killed two artillery frigates this way, they just couldn't lead my Lightning well enough and I had spent the AP on the cruiser. So I just dodged their annoying rocket spam until they suddenly fell out of the sky. I had to retreat twice, though. Good thing I had four ships in the squadron. I feel like since the enemy starts landed when you get a surprise attack off they should just try to land and keep firing from the ground. It makes more sense then killing themselves, anyway.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Pirate Radar posted:

More options for the testing lab beyond "here's an army glhf" would definitely be appreciated especially if what you want to test is a small ship. Also a quick arcade mode or something would be lovely. There's no real opportunity to practice or just fire it up to go hog wild with some big guns, which is what i want to do today and not have to bother with the map layer.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think you can actually stack hull pieces on top of each other to build with depth, maybe a good way to protect engines and other bits that need clearance without obstructing them?

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

M_Gargantua posted:

If you can roughly find it on radar, get close enough for it to be in your visual detection circle, and a little white circle will pop up and give you the landing prompt. Again not every one gets to be one.

Do yourself a favor and manually mark them on your radar using the pencil tho. I landed at one and then forgot where it was. You can rest at hidden cities indefinitely and it seems like the game says no one can find you there.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I don't understand the save points in this game. I lost a campaign, clicked game over, quit the game, but that campaign is still available to load, and bring me back to right before the big battle I lost. When does it actually save/count as failed?

If I've bought and installed a missile launcher, does it restock or do I have to buy an entirely new unit at a new shipyard? Same with bombs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I think the trick here might be to just have two or three and only repair them while you are refueling.

i really wish they broke down what the different radars do. what is the point of an FCS exactly? Cruise missile control?

Fire control radar's are cheaper and weaker radars than search radars, but what they are functionally for is for the R-9 interception missile. Incredible against incoming nukes, cruise missiles, and planes, overkill against incoming tactical heat seakers in comment but works all the same. The big one can track two R-9's at once and the small one can track 1.

Sipher posted:

I don't understand the save points in this game. I lost a campaign, clicked game over, quit the game, but that campaign is still available to load, and bring me back to right before the big battle I lost. When does it actually save/count as failed?

If I've bought and installed a missile launcher, does it restock or do I have to buy an entirely new unit at a new shipyard? Same with bombs.

For right now, might be a bug, until you actually start a new game you have the option to restore from the previous save point. Whatever points you earned are locked in once the ship select screen pops up and the old save is gone for good.

Missile's and bombs are single use, but if they hit they pack a punch.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So a cannon round bounced off the ground and hit another grounded enemy bomber, and it was 1shot KO'd. 10/10 would space-afghanistan war again.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, my first run is coming to an end. I've managed to smash through multiple strike groups with just my sevastapol, however I've now run out of fuel and landed.

Anyone know what my options are? Any way to get fuel when you're grounded? How do I actually end a run so that the stars I've earnt go towards the next run?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TescoBag posted:

So, my first run is coming to an end. I've managed to smash through multiple strike groups with just my sevastapol, however I've now run out of fuel and landed.

Anyone know what my options are? Any way to get fuel when you're grounded? How do I actually end a run so that the stars I've earnt go towards the next run?

Either die, or hit restart on the main menu.

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I've found lightnings + skylark to be an effective starting loadout. I love aircraft, but at the moment, you don't get to loot the wrecks of fleets you kill with planes, which makes them pretty unusable.

I've been playing with modifications to the ship designs and I'm trying to figure out the sensor package on the Skylark. It comes with an ELINT and a partially obstructed IR radar. I'm considering replacing the ELINT with a large search radar, relying on the Sevastopol's ELINT to pick up enemy radar.

This game is hard, but I love it

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Sipher posted:

I was having trouble with this. The save death thing has an incredibly bad UI but it's not a bug. The final Game Over screen has two buttons in the middle of the screen, with the top one being your save, and the second one being Main Menu. If you click the top one, it loads your last save. If you click the bottom one, it registers your death and brings you back to the main menu, from which you can start a new game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I ended up buying this game again and getting into a better rhythm this time :kiddo:

Huge thing I just learned: You do not need to land any of your ships at settlements in order to repair them - they can be repaired, rearmed and refueled even if they're not landed, they just don't get the repair speed bonus from landing.

e: Oh, it literally says that on the landing screen

What can i do to make my Lightning's crew stop blacking out every time it moves even slightly? At the start of the game it only did this when gaining altitude but now it's any movement. Is it bcause I took the +20% combat maneuverability skill on it?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 29, 2021

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
When modifying a ship which isn't docked yet, don't hit "Put In Dock" if you've removed any important pieces of your ship, even if the work hasn't been started. You'll spawn to land without it. I did this with the maneuvering and one main thruster on the sev and it was impossible to land intact. In which case you'll end up reloading from whatever arbitrary point it saved at or restarting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

deep dish peat moss posted:

I ended up buying this game again and getting into a better rhythm this time :kiddo:

Huge thing I just learned: You do not need to land any of your ships at settlements in order to repair them - they can be repaired, rearmed and refueled even if they're not landed, they just don't get the repair speed bonus from landing.

e: Oh, it literally says that on the landing screen

What can i do to make my Lightning's crew stop blacking out every time it moves even slightly? At the start of the game it only did this when gaining altitude but now it's any movement. Is it bcause I took the +20% combat maneuverability skill on it?

Lightnings have so much thrust that they can pull enough G's to black out the pilot. There is no perk that stops blacking out, but you might be able to replace the effect by blanking the sprite if its done the same way as bulletholes.

Atlanton posted:

I've found lightnings + skylark to be an effective starting loadout. I love aircraft, but at the moment, you don't get to loot the wrecks of fleets you kill with planes, which makes them pretty unusable.

I've been playing with modifications to the ship designs and I'm trying to figure out the sensor package on the Skylark. It comes with an ELINT and a partially obstructed IR radar. I'm considering replacing the ELINT with a large search radar, relying on the Sevastopol's ELINT to pick up enemy radar.

This game is hard, but I love it

The skylark is designed to be a passive scout. You can move long distances with a low thermal signature and radar cross section, so you can plop it 50km off of a supply line and snoop traffic while your fleet moves elsewhere. If you can get a bearing with the RWR or thermal, then scoot, then get another bearing, you'll have a fix on whatever it is.

A radar paints a giant blinking light on you for your electronic signature, its a giant "COME HERE AND SHOOT ME" sign. Which is fine until you run into enemy anti-radiation cruise missiles and nukes, which they'll just lob at you from afar and your scout will die instantly. Hence why your radar ship generally sticks with a bigger fleet, or is a big ship itself.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

incoherent light posted:

When modifying a ship which isn't docked yet, don't hit "Put In Dock" if you've removed any important pieces of your ship, even if the work hasn't been started. You'll spawn to land without it. I did this with the maneuvering and one main thruster on the sev and it was impossible to land intact. In which case you'll end up reloading from whatever arbitrary point it saved at or restarting.

yep another stupidly obvious thing in this vein is that adding new parts or replacing parts in dock takes time.

so you can't just downgrade a nuclear carrier's arsenal to conventional cruise missiles, if you just plop 'em in and then leave it'll just transfer the unequipped missiles to your inventory and wait until it can install them in dock or w/e

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is the only way to delete ship models via the game folder and snooping them out? I have a bunch of junk ships that are taking up space at the roster screen.

Im basically reshaping nearly every ship following a basic formula. Im making ships lighter and faster, enclosed missile spaces for survivability, and armoring crit-points. Im experimenting with using steel hull forms for exterior facing segments.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So in my current run I appear to have a gigantic surplus of nukes? I have the nukes that the Sevastopol starts with then when visiting a town I got an option to back a coup in return for a ship. The coup plotters, with my aid, dishonourably murdered the local mayor then gave me a strategic frigate that is basically a flying block with six nukes. Then I visited another town and found some nuclear weapons silos, where I looted the nukes.

So now I have I think eleven or twelve nuclear missiles? Should I just start nuking every single city or task group in my path on the way to Kiva?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Gaj posted:

Is the only way to delete ship models via the game folder and snooping them out? I have a bunch of junk ships that are taking up space at the roster screen.

Hover over the 'delete' button on the fleet creation screen at the start of a run, hit escape to bring up the menu and hide the card tooltip, escape again to close the menu, and then you can actually reach the delete button so long as you don't move the mouse.

I doubt this is intended behavior.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Patrat posted:

So in my current run I appear to have a gigantic surplus of nukes? I have the nukes that the Sevastopol starts with then when visiting a town I got an option to back a coup in return for a ship. The coup plotters, with my aid, dishonourably murdered the local mayor then gave me a strategic frigate that is basically a flying block with six nukes. Then I visited another town and found some nuclear weapons silos, where I looted the nukes.

So now I have I think eleven or twelve nuclear missiles? Should I just start nuking every single city or task group in my path on the way to Kiva?

MAD exists in this world so good luck.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaj posted:

MAD exists in this world so good luck.

On the other hand if you're close enough to Khiva it's possible you could fire at all the surrounding fleets before they know you're in the area, which seems to lower their missile response time.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Some foibles I've noticed:

The shipwork can be very fiddly and does not have a memory, such that it liable treat removing and reattaching a component as if you had replaced it wholesale and charge you appropriately. Rather annoying when misclicking on a Bomber can cost $2000.

Ramming, even accidentally, causes an event with a colossal fleetwide morale debuff. I triggered this erroneously in my last campaign (I did bump an enemy by accident, but it did not destroy the ship in question) off the back of a difficult fight and it ended the run by putting my entire fleet into mutiny.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay, if you can afford to use Proximity Fuze ammo the combat sort of becomes a joke. Suddenly you don't need to be accurate anymore and you blow things up in a single volley. I'm sniping ground targets from my spawn point before they can fire at me