Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dunking on a shark with a loving circular saw for a jaw, let's see your evolutionary speciality then bud.

aye i got yer evolutionary speciality RIGHT HERE BUDDY

*gestures rudely to highly sophisticated internal temperature regulation systems and over developed pattern recognition*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Winning on a long solo breakaway or small group is like the craziest way to win in road cycling. It almost never happens, they always get caught

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EoinCannon posted:

Winning on a long solo breakaway or small group is like the craziest way to win in road cycling. It almost never happens, they always get caught

And the mad lass loving did it. She did probably have some help from drafting off the motorcade, but idk how far ahead they keep.

They dutchies are mad AF because cycling is Serious Business™ in the Netherlands. Well, at least disappointed they didn't win.

Cycling teams are horse poo poo, cus at a bare minimum, with radios, someone can scout multiple factors for you and give you the answers for when to push or hold off.

I prefer to see the top individual in individual sports whenever possible; I find any "team" racing ends up being a contest of who has the most money and eyes on the race.

And she researched her own body to get there. Like literally She loving Dr Manhattaned her body to perfection and left the mortal plane of cyclists.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

And the mad lass loving did it. She did probably have some help from drafting off the motorcade, but idk how far ahead they keep.

They dutchies are mad AF because cycling is Serious Business™ in the Netherlands. Well, at least disappointed they didn't win.

Cycling teams are horse poo poo, cus at a bare minimum, with radios, someone can scout multiple factors for you and give you the answers for when to push or hold off.

I prefer to see the top individual in individual sports whenever possible; I find any "team" racing ends up being a contest of who has the most money and eyes on the race.

And she researched her own body to get there. Like literally She loving Dr Manhattaned her body to perfection and left the mortal plane of cyclists.

Team road cycling is amazing but it is not a Time Trial.

Another great thing about Anna's win is she did it with a normal bike that you can buy from a bike shop.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Aramoro posted:

Team road cycling is amazing but it is not a Time Trial.

Another great thing about Anna's win is she did it with a normal bike that you can buy from a bike shop.

That reminds me of the Australian cycling team that won gold in a previous Olympics, (I think 94? or possibly earlier), that did it with normal racing bikes against a team, (I think it was either America or England), that had fancy spokeless wheels and weirdo aerodynamic helmets and stuff. Because the Australian Olympic Committee didn't put any cash into the cyclists budget for those sorts of things at the time.

Of course now, the Aussies look like clowns in their colourful lycra and silly helmets and carbon fiber wind tunnel tested bikes that cost more than an ordinary person earns in a month.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No trainer no coach, wasn’t even considered a contender and won gold

Aramoro posted:

This lady is amazing. What an achievement.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah cycling is big here in Denmark too. the danish cyclist was pretty mad at the bigger nations for reasons I don't know enough about cycling to understand (something about the peloton being lazy?), but she seemed ok with the winner

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I haven't seen anything about the Dutch being mad at all that she won? All I've seen is a bit of disappointment that they got second place and irritation about the lack of communication tools or something? Other than that there's just a bit of schadefreude about the second place winner thinking she won as she got over finish line and a lot of recognition of the winner's achievement.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Taeke posted:

I haven't seen anything about the Dutch being mad at all that she won? All I've seen is a bit of disappointment that they got second place and irritation about the lack of communication tools or something? Other than that there's just a bit of schadefreude about the second place winner thinking she won as she got over finish line and a lot of recognition of the winner's achievement.

Yeah the Dutch aren't that salty, just upset at themselves. To take nothing away from Anna's achievement the Dutch really messed up and should have been aware she was there and caught her when they could have.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

I rarely watch road cycling, but the few times I have the breakaway rider won. I just did some reading on it and it appears there are certain races and circumstances where breakaways have a better shot and winning, but apparently not 'often', as you say. This race seemed to have a few of those circumstances.

Even after reading about I still have the impression that road cycling is terminally boring. The race is decided in the first 5 km, why ride the remaining 130 km? This latest Olympic race only confirmed that (allegedly mistaken) belief.

I still don't buy the radio thing. No one noticed that there was a breakaway group in the beginning or they thought they had pulled it back or something? It is your job to ride a bike and come in first, how do you lose track of who is in front of you?

Boot and Rally has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jul 28, 2021

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

I rarely watch road cycling, but the few times I have the breakaway rider won. I just did some reading on it and it appears there are certain races and circumstances where breakaways have a better shot and winning, but apparently not 'often', as you say. This race seemed to have a few of those circumstances.

Even after reading about I still have the impression that road cycling is terminally boring. The race is decided in the first 5 km, why ride the remaining 130 km? This latest Olympic race only confirmed that (allegedly mistaken) belief.

I still don't buy the radio thing. No one noticed that there was a breakaway group in the beginning or they thought they had pulled it back or something? It is your job to ride a bike and come in first, how do you lose track of who is in front of you?

Its probably pretty hard to focus while you're staring a few feet in front of you and riding the edge of exhaustion for hours. Especially if your used to having a crew feeding you info and telling you what to do.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

-Zydeco- posted:

Its probably pretty hard to focus while you're staring a few feet in front of you and riding the edge of exhaustion for hours. Especially if your used to having a crew feeding you info and telling you what to do.

Many others were able to keep track. At one point Van Vlueten even tried to catch the lead and didn't manage it. It sounds to me like they got beaten by someone actually trying to win it and are blaming radios.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A bad carpenter gets their rear end whooped by a math nerd with $200 CCM lol get rekt

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

BrigadierSensible posted:

Of course now, the Aussies look like clowns in their colourful lycra and silly helmets and carbon fiber wind tunnel tested bikes that cost more than an ordinary person earns in a month.

This made me chuckle, bikes can go into the 5 figures so you're absolutely correct, but understimating the cost of a cutting edge bike quite a bit :v:

Which makes her win even better

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Boot and Rally posted:

Many others were able to keep track. At one point Van Vlueten even tried to catch the lead and didn't manage it. It sounds to me like they got beaten by someone actually trying to win it and are blaming radios.

That's totally possible, but Van Vleuten's reaction as she crossed the finish line certainly made it look as though she had no idea she hadn't won. So they might be blaming radios after the fact, but radios or no radios, she certainly didn't know there was a rider ahead.
From the limited amount I've read, the peloton caught up to the breakaway group, so I think the problem is simply that Van Vleuten didn't keep track of how many people were in the breakaway pack.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Every interview is like 'sure that other rider won, but had our massive sponsorship and funding infrastructure and entire team of world-class thoroughbred athletic elites been told to put in maximum effort we would have done so. But we didn't and it's not our fault it's only the Olympics who cares gg to the rando I guess' like they weren't smoked

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm kind of surprised they don't have anyone on the sidelines to use hand signals when they don't have radios.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's motorbikes getting around that are supposed to hold up boards with the time gaps on them
I'm not sure how they are organised in the olympics or how that changes over the course of the race

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems that the big reason she won is that the rest of the pack just forgot she existed. She hasn't raced on a team in 4 years and was considered the equivalent of a random person off the street by Olympic standards, so the main group let the initial breakaway pack gain a lead like usual before speeding up to overtake them. Nobody noticed that the pack was one short and thus made no attempt to catch her, causing her to gain such a huge lead that she was well out of sight and off the track by the time second place arrived.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sounds like more excuses to me

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, as a layman I read stuff like "causing her to gain such a huge lead that she was well out of sight and off the track by the time second place arrived" and think well, apparently she rode her bike better than the others. There might be more technical stuff to that particular version of competition, but that is utterly uninteresting for me as a spectator. If it is within the rules, the others should suck it up and learn from it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Agreed. But I can understand not pushing that little bit extra once you think you're in the lead, and thinking that your main competitor is right beside you and that if you push, they'll push too. So you save your strength for the final sprint, rather than putting more into the long-distance catch up.
It still comes down to the fact that the winner rode faster than everyone else, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah that all feels like explanations for why they don’t have a gold medal and she does.

As an Olympic level cyclist you’d think that you would be able to keep track of who is in front of you but I’m not an Olympic level cyclist so :iiam:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I can guarantee that although her bike was off the shelf/from a bike shop it still "cost more than the average person makes in a month".

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Lady Disdain posted:

That's totally possible, but Van Vleuten's reaction as she crossed the finish line certainly made it look as though she had no idea she hadn't won. So they might be blaming radios after the fact, but radios or no radios, she certainly didn't know there was a rider ahead.
From the limited amount I've read, the peloton caught up to the breakaway group, so I think the problem is simply that Van Vleuten didn't keep track of how many people were in the breakaway pack.

That is what I am saying. "If we had known someone was up there we would have tried harder" is just an excuse. It is the Olympics, they probably should have tried harder anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

I can guarantee that although her bike was off the shelf/from a bike shop it still "cost more than the average person makes in a month".

I looked it up and the basic off the shelf version cost £3200 and there's some minor to moderate customization and technical doodads

Still not what I would assume someone riding in the Olympics would use, let alone a gold medallist

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

buying the best bike is cheating anyway. bikes should be outlawed in cycling because they can give an unfair advantage to the wealthy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boot and Rally posted:

That is what I am saying. "If we had known someone was up there we would have tried harder" is just an excuse. It is the Olympics, they probably should have tried harder anyway.

They were doing the standard method of racing that gets taught. Staying in a large group provides a huge aerodynamic benefit so you don't strain your muscles as much, so you stick together in a large pack for most of the race and don't try to break away to get the lead until closer to the end. It's typical for a few riders to try and get a huge lead at the very beginning, only to tire out and have the rest of the pack catch up and absorb them a while later. Their method of racing was picture perfect except for where they forgot that there was another racer by the time they grabbed the stragglers.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

They were doing the standard method of racing that gets taught. Staying in a large group provides a huge aerodynamic benefit so you don't strain your muscles as much, so you stick together in a large pack for most of the race and don't try to break away to get the lead until closer to the end. It's typical for a few riders to try and get a huge lead at the very beginning, only to tire out and have the rest of the pack catch up and absorb them a while later. Their method of racing was picture perfect except for where they forgot that there was another racer by the time they grabbed the stragglers.

I think a factor in them forgetting there was another rider out ahead was their reliance on radio in their pro teams meaning they don't usually have to keep track of that sort of thing. Doesn't make the winning ride any less amazing imo. Best rider on the day won

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It would have worked if it wasn’t for someone who was trying to win

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don’t understand how the Yankees gave up more for an older rental than they did for a guy under control.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hackers film 1995 posted:

buying the best bike is cheating anyway. bikes should be outlawed in cycling because they can give an unfair advantage to the wealthy

Do the teacher thing of “I hope you brought enough for the class”.

Your whizbang bike is allowed in competition if and only if you make it available to all qualified competitors.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

EoinCannon posted:

I think a factor in them forgetting there was another rider out ahead was their reliance on radio in their pro teams meaning they don't usually have to keep track of that sort of thing. Doesn't make the winning ride any less amazing imo. Best rider on the day won

I'm a huge fan of anyone beating the established elite athletes by not following their rules. Like Cliff Young winning a 544 mile ultramarathon in 1983 at the age of 61:

quote:

Young arrived to compete in overalls and work boots, without his dentures (later saying that they rattled when he ran). He ran at a slow and loping pace and trailed the pack by a large margin at the end of the first day. While the other competitors stopped to sleep for six hours, Young kept running. He ran continuously for five days, taking the lead during the first night and eventually winning by 10 hours.
Upon being awarded the prize of A$10,000 (equivalent to $32,067 in 2018), Young said that he did not know there was a prize and that he felt bad accepting it as each of the other five runners who finished had worked as hard as he did—so he split the money equally between them, keeping none.
In 1997, at age 75, he made an attempt to beat Ron Grant's around-Australia record. He completed 6,520 kilometres of the 16,000-kilometre run, but had to pull out because his only crew member became ill.

He was a total legend.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Do the teacher thing of “I hope you brought enough for the class”.

Your whizbang bike is allowed in competition if and only if you make it available to all qualified competitors.

Japanese Keiren racing is great, all the bikes are the same model steel frame, competitors wear pads, and the strongest riders get bullied by everyone else.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Phy posted:

I looked it up and the basic off the shelf version cost £3200 and there's some minor to moderate customization and technical doodads

Still not what I would assume someone riding in the Olympics would use, let alone a gold medallist

My dad, who tends to be fairly knowledgeable when it comes to cycling, tells me that the most expensive bike in the Tour de France this year cost 20,000 (I believe that's Australian dollars, which would be ~£10,500).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RCarr posted:

I don’t understand how the Yankees gave up more for an older rental than they did for a guy under control.

Okay, what

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

It just doesn’t make sense that the Yankees gave up more for an older rental than they did for a guy under control.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rizzo is older than Gallo and he’s a free agent next year. Gallo is younger and still in arbitration. Yet the Yankees gave up more for Rizzo.

Edit: I realize now this isn’t the MLB thread.

RCarr has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Jul 30, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

Rizzo is older than Gallo and he’s a free agent next year. Gallo is younger and still in arbitration. Yet the Yankees gave up more for Rizzo.

Edit: I realize now this isn’t the MLB thread.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Touché salesman. Touché.