Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm unsure how to fix it though. If we agree that game integrity is important, then it gets awkward without developing a whole other leveling 'path' of sorts, and then would that path even be better? This is a problem my friends have talked a lot about, but we just don't have reasonable solutions. I'd love to see one though.

Beating Sirus unlocks the option to create new level 68 characters that start off as if they just beat A10 Kitava with all quests done and passive points unlocked. Boom, reasonable solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Seems to me that should be an option for just beating the Acts. I've never even come close to finishing any of the "end game" poo poo because I get tired of grinding maps for weeks and quit.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm surprised they haven't done something like that yet, they would sell so many more character slots

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That's a pretty drastic solution. Having a treadmill that gets faster as you level is a core conceit of the genre and it's something that ggg is super committed to. Just start at level 68 once you beat Sirus is kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater whilst simultaneously making it absolutely miserable if you want to reroll in early mapping.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

IIRC less than 10% of players per league beat Sirus, so I think it's an appropriate gate for what would admittedly be a very powerful ability that would change the economy a lot. Slogging through the story a second time, or god forbid even a third or fourth, sucks so much that I think it justifies it.

I know it'll never happen because it's one of the many good things that violates GGG's vision, but it's a nice dream.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

holding back quality of life improvements to a videogame because of the economy... have we truly come to this...

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I still enjoy leveling every character. I do it 4-6 times a league and it's satisfying to feel my character progress. I wouldn't mind an adventure mode or endless delve being available for accounts that have completed the campaign at least once, as long as those modes don't get characters to maps faster than the campaign. Sounds boring as poo poo to me though so I wouldn't use it.

If a player is shaking their fist at the screen, yelling "This game would be better if I could skip large portions of the gameplay!" then maybe they actually don't like the game itself and they would have more fun doing something else.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tiny Bug Child posted:

IIRC less than 10% of players per league beat Sirus, so I think it's an appropriate gate for what would admittedly be a very powerful ability that would change the economy a lot. Slogging through the story a second time, or god forbid even a third or fourth, sucks so much that I think it justifies it.

I know it'll never happen because it's one of the many good things that violates GGG's vision, but it's a nice dream.
My steam cheevo for killing Sirus says that's shared by .1% of the playerbase so I'm guessing less than that.

Mentat Radnor posted:

I still enjoy leveling every character. I do it 4-6 times a league and it's satisfying to feel my character progress. I wouldn't mind an adventure mode or endless delve being available for accounts that have completed the campaign at least once, as long as those modes don't get characters to maps faster than the campaign. Sounds boring as poo poo to me though so I wouldn't use it.

If a player is shaking their fist at the screen, yelling "This game would be better if I could skip large portions of the gameplay!" then maybe they actually don't like the game itself and they would have more fun doing something else.
Some people like the endgame, some people like a slow buildup to it; some people are tired of playing through the story, some people still enjoy it. I don't think there's anything inherently whacky about someone wishing something they enjoy contained less stuff they find tedious and more stuff they find entertaining; if that's the margin for no-true-fan status than I don't think there's a game on the planet anyone actually likes.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you shake your fist at sitting in gridlock on the way to race your car at the racetrack, maybe you just don't like driving

OR

Maybe you don't like aspects of driving, and wish that those aspects would change

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Drakyn posted:

My steam cheevo for killing Sirus says that's shared by .1% of the playerbase so I'm guessing less than that.

I think that Steam is counting that playerbase as literally every Steam user who has ever installed Path of Exile since it came out in 2013.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

how does another player getting to maps faster than you impact your enjoyment of the game outside of ladders/races?

should there be minimum # of hours per act to hold back anyone speedrunning, and experience boosts for anyone taking too long?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Mentat Radnor posted:

Path of Exile isn't one homogeneous game. Gameplay in the story is extremely different than gameplay in endgame mapping. There's a whole different set of strategies, concerns, and rewards. I don't like the story and don't have fun playing it, and I like endgame mapping and have fun playing it. I would like to be able to skip the part I don't like.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

euphronius posted:

We used to go through the story 3 times for each character lol

I had memory holed this

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think that Steam is counting that playerbase as literally every Steam user who has ever installed Path of Exile since it came out in 2013.

Ah, the ol' steam sale stat padding.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What would it change in the economy other than impacting Orb of Regret? Which, fine, who cares, it wouldn't be missed.

Mentat Radnor posted:

I disagree with the notion of "character progression" because my Ancestral Call Viper Strike build has felt functionally the same since I got those 2 gems in Act 1 as it does now at level 77 or whatever I am. I mean, yea, obviously I've slotted in better supports and more movement skills and auras and things like that so there has been some progression. But the campaign is never a challenge. There are lots and lots of good builds out there where you get the build-defining gems quite early on, too.

And for many people MMORPGs don't even begin until level cap. This isn't too far off from that. Getting to maps is so braindead and unengaging. If they could somehow make it fun and feel meaningful, great, but that's a really difficult task.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

tbh i think acts 5-10 kinda suck way more than 1-4 so i miss just doing that three times

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Devor posted:

If you shake your fist at sitting in gridlock on the way to race your car at the racetrack, maybe you just don't like driving

OR

Maybe you don't like aspects of driving, and wish that those aspects would change

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Path of Exile isn't one homogeneous game. Gameplay in the story is extremely different than gameplay in endgame mapping. There's a whole different set of strategies, concerns, and rewards. I don't like the story and don't have fun playing it, and I like endgame mapping and have fun playing it. I would like to be able to skip the part I don't like.

I would be happy for GGG to implement a true offline single player mode where cheats are enabled. Then players who don't like playing the game can load up a lvl 100 character, developer-mode themselves up some sick gear, and, presumably, be happy.

Edit: I'm clearly being a salty rear end because people enjoy the game differently than me. Sorry, I am going to stop.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 29, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mentat Radnor posted:

I would be happy for GGG to implement a true offline single player mode where cheats are enabled. Then players who don't like playing the game can load up a lvl 100 character, developer-mode themselves up some sick gear, and, presumably, be happy.

Diablo 3 Adventure Mode: Basically Cheating

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Just keep digging, you're making great points about the one true way to enjoy a game thousands of people play over there

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I had memory holed this

Hell, the first closed beta (before I got in) only had 2 acts. Fun fun.

Red Red Blue posted:

tbh i think acts 5-10 kinda suck way more than 1-4 so i miss just doing that three times

Acts 7-8 are where I feel the slog the most, ngl

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

checking up on poe after a couple months and WOW those are some patch notes.

how is it actually feeling in game this league?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Some people like it, a lot of people don't. Are you nostalgic for old poe? If so, you'll probably like it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pork never goes bad posted:

Some people like it, a lot of people don't. Are you nostalgic for old poe? If so, you'll probably like it.

Blood Magic LGoH Ground Slam Marauder POE

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Mentat Radnor posted:

This wouldn't satisfy me at all, because a lot of what I enjoy about PoE comes from participating in the economy. I like getting expensive loot and watching the numbers in my currency tab go up. One of my favorite activities is trying out different mapping strategies to see what's profitable (which is why I think the Atlas passives were one of the best additions to the game GGG ever made). This is another reason I don't like the story—it's so unrewarding compared to maps.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

holding back quality of life improvements to a videogame because of the economy... have we truly come to this...
(With respect to gating "free post-act 10 characters" behind some end game grind, like killing Sirus)
A not insignificant portion of the people who play that would get to this point are doing so with the specific intention of doing so to "win" in that economy in some way. Hurting them could lower their participation and potentially harm GGG's bottom line (they might then buy fewer tabs or mtx as a result, for example).

As much as I'd love GGG to drastically hit a lot of things that would essentially hamper the top end players from owning the best ways to make the best stuff, they've shown time and time again that they won't do this so... It isn't unreasonable to assume that they would take this approach

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some people are in it for the loot, and some people are in it for the loot

imo the people who want the game easier and the poopsockers who play the economy game are the same people, just with different amounts of time to play

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 29, 2021

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
you know, perhaps 'the fun part of an ARPG is the gearing and the journey' and 'the acts and time it takes to get to maps sucks rear end' aren't mutually exclusive?

it's not like when you get to maps suddenly your build is Complete, Done and Over. there's a lot of micro optimizations to be made, gear to be found and content to test your build against.

because from a pure optimization perspective it's not fun to go through the acts using the same leveling gear + gems as everyone else because the build you actually enjoy is almost unplayable until you get 60 points in, two labs and proper links + skill gems. you could try leveling using said skill but there's a fair amount of skills that simply do not work until you build for them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Beating Sirus unlocks the option to create new level 68 characters that start off as if they just beat A10 Kitava with all quests done and passive points unlocked. Boom, reasonable solution.

This is not quite that simple. This exact solution is something I've gone back and forth on myself, but I think I reject it since there are econ consequences. How extreme are those cases? I'm unsure, but it's some non-zero effect.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Offline POE would be my dream game, cheat mode.... :shrug: but the game without internet connections & latency would be lovely.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been playing since Act 2 didn't even have a boss and have played on-and-off ever since then, but I mainly get burned out by the amount of unfulfilling theorycrafting necessary during the campaign. You can't just kick back and enjoy the campaign since you still have to be working towards your eventual build, but you don't have the skills or gear so you're generally stuck doing some weak temporary build until you get to at least Act 4 at which point, if you're lucky, you can start to transition to your actual build. But more often than not (in my experience) the new build will be even weaker than your leveling build at first.

I'd probably enjoy the campaign a lot more if there was like a temporary levelling skill tree along side the main skill tree, and you could swap between them until you hit level 60 or finish the campaign or something, at which point the levelling skill tree disappears and you have to transition fully into your endgame skill tree.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is not quite that simple. This exact solution is something I've gone back and forth on myself, but I think I reject it since there are econ consequences. How extreme are those cases? I'm unsure, but it's some non-zero effect.

Orbs of Regret become wothless, and.... what else....?

Worst case scenario is that more players stick around in a given league for longer because they can quickly make a second character and continue to farm and engage in trade, instead of saying "gently caress leveling again" and quitting. What a horrible sounding thing.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Make it also cost 100 regrets per new character, or whatever currency type and amount you want. Then time gate it so the option is only available X weeks into a league to limit how it plays into the ladder.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

docbeard posted:

My biggest problem with the campaign is that once you've gone through it one time, there's no real mystery or variety there any more (barring the occasional shakeups GGG does, and you can only pull a trick like moving Brutus once).

This is coward talk. You can move Brutus as much as you like.

Vaal Oversoul down, you stand by the door to wait for it to open -- boom, it knocks you back and stuns you as Brutus Kool-Aid mans through!
You blast that weird cannon thing into the Beast, ready to dive into the literal bowels of a mountain -- but before you can Brutus leap slams your rear end and it's boss battle time!
You've finally managed to down Sirius on a cobbled-together jalopy of a build, you lean down to grab the Awakener's Orb that dropped -- nope, Awakened Brutus pops out and it's time for the new final battle!

Hire me GGG

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
items below level 68 become utterly worthless and first time players /late league starters enter the game even further behind than everyone else

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

euphronius posted:

We used to go through the story 3 times for each character lol

Heh, I remember when I first played PoE. I thought it boring, brown, and ugly. I got through maybe 3 zones and tossed it, until I tried again in Delirium and loved it.

Of course, everyone's different. I never played Diablo 2 after whatever the first difficulty was, because going through the acts again sounded boring. Meanwhile I've played lots of D3, and lots of "modern" PoE.

Drakyn posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently whacky about someone wishing something they enjoy contained less stuff they find tedious and more stuff they find entertaining; if that's the margin for no-true-fan status than I don't think there's a game on the planet anyone actually likes.

That's really more of my "gripe" - the game is a lot of things with lots of aspects, and people giving feedback on what they like / dislike is part of the conversation (aka, the point of a messageboard), instead of "well if you don't like it, :getout: "). Just constant "well that's all the game is" nonsense, like it's not a huge and varied game that's been built over a decade or whatever.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

All of the streamers are doing a Royale duos tournament right now:

https://twitch.tv/twitchrivals

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

you don't have to start at level 68 or some poo poo there's literally an endless dungeon already in the game, have that start at level 1 and let us use it to level. give the bandit choice and the quest passive points at certain milestones roughly equivalent to where you'd get them playing through the campaign. if you're scared about 1-68 delve being too rewarding for some reason make it drop less stuff

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Clockwerk posted:

I appreciate your post, it’s a good summary of lore that takes 30 seconds to skim and conveys more in-game than I’ve ever cared to read or pay attention to. To contribute, I’ll share the major plot points I’ve learned in 2 or 3k hours played:

We washed up on a boat and need to move inland for ~reasons~. Piety is an rear end in a top hat for some reason, we have to kill her on three different difficulties. Dominus is the big bad who runs the empire and is also an rear end in a top hat who is hanging out in Wraeclast instead of his town. We ally with a god named Sin, which seems like a terrible idea. He has a brother we have to kill. Kitava is a thirsty boi

frankly i think it is a credit to Path of Exile that the lore likers can dig into all the dialogue and flavor text and come up with a lore document that is 300 pages long, and the people who don't like lore can say: get out of the way, words! i'm here to click buttons and kill monsters

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Are you telling me people don't listen patiently to NPCs the first time or read flavor text of every unique in the game????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Devor posted:

Blood Magic LGoH Ground Slam Marauder POE

One of my first characters lol

It’s so old ground slam is actually good now